Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Mirror, Mirror ❯ Who Is The Fairest Of Them All? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Who Is The Fairest Of Them All?
 
 
I stare into the mirror, and, not for the first time in my life, I regret what I see; a person, bound and gagged by fate, an invisible collar and leash yanking me along the path of life.
 
If only I hadn't chosen so poorly, my reflection wouldn't be so twisted, like one of those funhouse mirrors that stretches everything so horribly out of proportion. Maybe I could have been normal.
 
Maybe I wouldn't see my ten-year-old brother in my own reflection.
 
The people out there have no idea who I am; what I've done. They call me “The Alchemist of The People”. What would they say if they truly knew what a monster I am?
 
I spend every day striving for others, so I can rid myself of one bit of my remorse. Sometimes it worse. Others it doesn't. Not even my own brother knows what goes on inside my twisted mind. I doubt anyone could truly understand me.
 
Some days the mirror seems to taunt me; everything I've done is written there, in the blood of innocent people. In the blood of my mother, and the thing I brought back.
 
Today's one of those days, and I bring my hands together swiftly; in seconds, the bathroom fills with tiny silver shards, each reflecting a tiny, perfect image of me.
 
The guilt increases. I am slightly surprised Alphonse hasn't come running, but… perhaps he knows to leave me alone. In his eyes, I know, I am perfect.
 
Another clap, and my guilt is again in one shining, full-length piece, standing before me.
 
I glance at the clock; I've wasted enough time worrying about myself. I grab my cloak from its haphazard spot on the floor and head out.
 
Time to pass another day in chains.