Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Of Ballet and Bullets ❯ Armed and Dangerous ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Ballet and Bullets
 
Part 6 - Armed and Dangerous
 
A Full Metal Alchemist fanfiction, By Serenanna
 
Warnings and Disclaimers: I don't own Full Metal Alchemist or any of the characters. I'm just borrowing them to play with. I'll return them later, promise. There is violence, adult content, and sexual situations in this story, but no naughty bits in this chapter. So, if you're under 18, leave now before your virgin eyes are scarred forever, if you're over 18, enjoy!
 
Story Notes: Time frame for this fic doesn't matter as my knowledge of FMA is a bit scattered but obviously before the ending and Maes's death, and set during the anime series. Also, this is an Ed/Winry and Roy/Riza fic (Two for the price of one!). Being this is fanfiction, liberties were taken with the actions of the characters and certain parts of the fic are not canonal, I just don't know which ones. This fic hinges on a lot more plot compared to the last time out in Overhaul, Overhaul 2, and A Betting Crowd, which I recommend reading before diving into this. This one has violent action scenes, suspense, humor, and mild angst in it, so the sex and romance may be few and far between. In summary, you're all getting what I call a real plot. No, really, I'm actually working on a real plot this time! Beta reading has been done by Darkilluser. (Thank you!) Read the above disclaimers again if you're still squeamish about reading this, blood splatter included, but I assure you, it'll be worth it in the end probably. Again, no pieces of automail, skirts, guns, tuxedoes, or ballet dancers were harmed in the production of this piece of . . . well . . .
 
***********
 
Ever since they'd been picked up a few blocks from the apartment building by Hughes and Havoc, the three of them had fallen silent. Maybe it was the air of danger around them still, clinging and stifling. Before they left, Riza had not only come back with both of her hand guns and her rifle, but also an additional shoulder holster and pistol for the Colonel. Ed had watched them move without second guessing one another, even if he felt like saying something about it. It was odd. He was less paranoid about the whole thing than they were. After all, they were just going to a bank, not some seedy dive in the middle of the wrong end of town. Maybe the two were one in the same? That brought a smirk to his lips as he sat between them, watching Central go by the car windows. Havoc drove, like usual, while Hughes sat beside him, bent over the back rest to look at the three of them upside down. Both of them were dressed in suits with winter coats on top, like civilians, even if they still were technically on duty.
 
“You know, Mustang, we really caught a break on this one. If my other team hadn't seen Heinor while working on the rest of his group, we'd still be sitting in the office taking potshots at what to do next. You always did think ahead, but you could have told me your hunches sooner,” Maes said with a grin, “Not that you'd mind this whole case taking a little longer, I'm sure. A little family living has done wonders for you and young Edward, and why Riza, you're positively glowing with maternal warmth. It reminds me of that time when Gracia had Elysia, and she was-, oh, wait! I got a picture!”
 
Ed and Roy both scowled at him for his comments, apparently irritated by not only his breaking of the silence but also his implications. Hawkeye laughed softly, slightly embarrassed by the whole thing as she hid her face behind her hands, “That's alright, Hughes, I think I remember that story.”
 
Soon enough, she stopped laughing, just smiling instead. The Colonel shot the Lieutenant a look from across the back seat, his dark eyes narrowing enough that she knew that he was thinking about something. Riza's smile stopped too as she noticed and blinked at him, her pale eyebrows furrowing for a moment. They both ignored FullMetal sitting between them, exchanging glances with one another in silent communication. A worried look crossed his face, and she knew he was thinking of something other than the case. “What is it?” she asked, breaking the silence again.
 
For a moment, Roy glanced around the car at the other three, and knew this wasn't a topic for public discussion, “Later . . .”
 
“Roy . . .” she said, a threatening edge on her voice, “It's going to distract you, which is the last thing we need, so just say it.”
 
“I don't get distracted,” he muttered, mildly offended. A snorting chuckle came up from between them, and Mustang rolled his eyes. At least someone was getting a kick out of this. He tried to look away but could still feel those brown eyes of hers boring into him. He seemed to snap under her look, prying his lips open as he tried to talk softly, “Have we ever had a discussion, you know, on certain matters?”
 
She blinked, and he knew they hadn't or he wasn't being clear enough, “You know, certain matters . . . between us?”
 
“Roy, quit being cryptic and say it.”
 
“Fine, when was the last time you . . . you know,” Roy asked as the silence in the car was suddenly decidedly oppressive. Riza glared at him, turning red as she understood, and she wasn't the only one in car that got it either. Ed didn't get it, glancing back and forth between them, as he was stuck in the middle. All he knew is that they were probably fighting, and it was highly amusing to see them fight. A smirk came to his face as he turned towards the woman, “Would you like to trade seats? Less room between you two when you slap him.”
 
“No, thank you, Edward, I have other ways to deal with him . . .”
 
Havoc sputtered in the front seat, barely containing his laughter as Hughes chuckled, “I think I'm having flashbacks to some of Gracia's ways of dealing with me, most of them involving pillows, blankets, and a couch. Word of advice, Colonel, let her win.”
 
“Thank you, Maes, but kindly butt out?”
 
“Just looking out for you, sir.”
 
“Duly noted,” Roy ground out through his teeth, “Riza . . . I'm only concerned, it's not like you've ever told me what you do to prevent it. All I know is that you just keep, well . . .”
 
“Because quite frankly it's none of your business, sir.”
 
“Stop calling me sir, Riza, and yes, it is since . . . damnit! Fine, we'll finish this later . . .”
 
“For the record, sir, she got it about two weeks ago,” Havoc said before trying to hunch down in the driver's seat. Hawkeye glared at him in anger, as if she was about to shoot him followed then every other man in the car. Even Roy sunk lower into his seat at the fury in her eyes, knowing it was entirely his fault to begin with if they died premature deaths at the hands of an irate woman that just so happened to be a crack shot. “How, exactly, Second Lieutenant Jean Havoc, do you know that?” she said with a barely veiled hint of impending violence in her voice.
 
“Um, permission to speak freely, ma'am?”
 
“Permission not granted, Lieutenant,” Roy said, nearly barking the order at him, “One more word out of you, and I'll roast you faster than you can say flambé.”
 
Edward looked at all of them, the whole entire conversation happening both literally and figuratively over his head. As amusing as it was to watch the pair of lovers quarrel, what in the blazes were they talking about? Maybe there was part of the talk that he was missing? He was also being pointedly ignored by all the adults present, which only made him crankier about it. The young alchemist frowned, nearly scowling again, “Someone please explain to me what I'm missing? It sounds like you're arguing over nothing.”
 
“It is nothing, FullMetal, don't worry about it . . . at least until you get a girlfriend,” Roy said with a frown as he sagged back into the seat. Riza frowned as well, leaning against the car door and ignoring them both. Regardless of her expression, Ed glanced at her anyway, his frustration turning into worry. “You ok?” he asked softly.
 
“I'm fine, Ed, it's just . . .” she started to say before breaking it off to look at Mustang. Why was he so difficult today, and worried? They were all on edge, sure, but why was he suddenly worried about that? She took precautions a long time ago before they started their relationship, before he even knew her. The Lieutenant just didn't tell him because it wasn't his concern. Besides it wasn't about him why she made her choice. Women fought in the Ishbal War. Women were always involved in wars in ways other than fighting whether they liked it or not. They were captured, tortured, or worse, but unlike what could happen with men, some consequences were more life altering than just horrible memories. So, she took herbal remedies for such indelicacies as children whether they were wanted or unwanted. It wasn't foolproof. She couldn't miss one dose. And yet, after the horror stories of rapes in the wake of the war, she wasn't going to take a chance being without it. Mustang wouldn't always be there to protect her, or vice versa.
 
Edward's metal elbow nudged her, breaking her thoughts even if her eyes were still locked on Roy's brooding figure, “You sure? You looked dazed a moment.”
 
A reassuring smile spread over her face, more for his peace of mind than anything else as she looked down on him, “I'm fine, Major, we're almost to the bank anyway.”
 
**********
 
The First State Bank of Amestris was an imposing structure, probably more so than the First Central Branch Library. Ed's mouth dropped slightly at the sight of it before being prodded up the steps by the Colonel. He grunted at the rough treatment, glaring back over his shoulder before moving on. They were all around him, like over-protective bodyguards. Riza took point while Havoc and Hughes flanked him on either side. Mustang brought up the rear, constantly looking behind them till they were inside of the building. “You know, we look pretty suspicious walking around like this,” FullMetal muttered once they were through the door, looking around the large, open lobby, his mouth dropping open again, “And this place is huge . . .”
 
Roy moved to the front of the group, leading the way. Ed would have remained there gawking if the First Lieutenant hadn't grabbed his shoulder with an amused smile, pulling him along. They passed row upon row of shining brass counters and polished wood desks, each one appearing barely scratched or used when compared to the ones in Headquarters. It made the home of the State Alchemists looks rather shoddy, especially with the gilded flourishes on the vaulted ceilings. Mustang lead them through a maze of office doors, and none of the workers within seemed to mind, scurrying about as if the passing group was nothing more than added scenery. For a moment, Edward smirked to himself, thinking of how this would be very different if they were all in military blues.
 
They finally stopped outside one corridor before a frosted glass door. The Colonel glanced at Hughes then Riza, “Watch the brat while Maes and I do business. It shouldn't take long, but I don't want trouble.”
 
“Not to be superstitious, but whenever someone says that, trouble always seems to pop up exactly when we least want it,” Ed muttered before collapsing on a nearby bench. If Roy even paid attention to that remark, his face didn't show it as he entered the office. Jean took a seat next to the young alchemist as the First Lieutenant leaned against a wall, both of them alert, but . . . not so alert at the same time. He sank lower into the seat, tempted to pull out his pocket watch after it had been buried in his back pocket, and start playing with it in idle boredom. But wait, that would have blown his civilian cover. Wouldn't take long, Mustang had said. Somehow he doubted that as he fidgeted, the minutes dragging by. As it seemed to be taking longer and longer, Riza tapped the heel of her flat brown snow boots on the marble floor, annoyed, “I don't like this, they're taking too long.”
 
Whatever paranoia was in the air seeped into Ed as well, making him glance towards the door too as if expecting it to open any minute, “Maybe we should, you know, check on them.”
 
For a moment, she seemed to consider the suggestion till it opened, the two officers coming back into the hall carrying a few new folders. From the pout on Roy's and Maes' faces, she knew whatever he found wasn't good. “Colonel?” she asked as they all popped up back to their feet.
 
“Not here, there are better places for a discussion like this . . .” he said, leading them back out. There it was again, that sinking feeling. Only this time it seemed to affect all of them.
 
**********
 
“When you said better places, this wasn't exactly what I thought you had in mind,” Riza said as she glanced around, glad she brought both of her handguns, even if she'd had to leave the rifle in the car, “I don't think you could have picked a more decrepit place unless it sprung out from the ground like some half-formed zombie.”
 
“Next time we arrange a spot in a bar for a strategy meeting, I'll let you do the choosing, darling,” Roy said too sweetly for it to be anything but sarcastic, grinning at the muffled snickers around the table. A scowl marred her face, picking up that bad habit from the two alchemists quite well. The only one of the officers who wasn't laughing in some way besides Riza was Edward. He frowned from his spot next the woman and across from Mustang while Havoc and Hughes both sat beside him. “Can we cut to the point, please? I'm sure you both will find a way to work it out later,” he groused, not wanting to think about exactly how they'd work it out.
 
Whether he admitted it out loud or not, Edward hated this place as soon as they stepped into it. The smoke was heavy in the air, and probably coated every surface in the bar including the drinks. And everything seemed small, like the booth they had in the back corner, even for him. It was no where near as cheery as the inn and tavern he'd stayed in and rebuilt at the mines. He was scowling again, leaning with his metal elbow on the table and his chin resting on an upturned hand. The Colonel smirked.
 
“Despite the surroundings, this is about the last place anyone would look for us since you're not even old enough to be in here. Bribing works well sometimes though, but of course, to the point,” he said as he tossed the files from the bank onto the table, “Our hunch was right, someone paid Heinor a very handsome sum to be bait. But unfortunately, there's no one person's name attached to the transferring account.”
 
“No one person?” Riza questioned, putting emphasis on the word `one', “So, it's a group then?”
 
“No, not a group per say, but a corporation, which is what I don't get . . .” Roy said with a sigh before looking at the other alchemist at the table, “You really pissed someone off good, FullMetal.”
 
Edward gulped, loudly, “A whole company wants me dead!?”
 
“Keep it down!” Jean hissed at him then glanced around just to make sure no one was glancing back, “I'm sure there's more to this, right, Colonel?”
 
Mustang nodding then glanced to Hughes, who picked up the discussion, “The company in question is Delmark Arms, they . . . they actually sell guns to the State. That makes it very hard to get to their records, as they're under enough red tape to choke a horse. Not to mention they have huge records too. They have also always been philanthropic, which makes donations to Heinor's group not very conspicuous, since they were more like a cause than a rebel group.”
 
“The money must have been sent from one of those foundation accounts,” Roy said, interrupting Maes, “Anyone in that company could be using those funds for personal vendettas.”
 
“But why me? I don't know a single person who works for them,” Ed said, pale. He didn't get this at all. What had he ever done to deserve this? Ok, maybe he had done a lot of questionable things if he tallied all his sins, but nothing dealing with this arms company, surely? There was silence round the table, along with questioning glances and lots of shrugging. No one else seemed to know either. Hughes broke in as he noticed the wilted expression on the FullMetal Alchemist's face, “Well, we can start diving in to their company records once we get permission from higher up. It'll be a struggle though, and the red tape may be quite legendary to slice through . . .”
 
“How long will it take?” Edward asked, balking at what he said, “Weeks?”
 
“Well, it could be months actually . . .”
 
The teenager groaned, loudly, as his head hit the table, “I'll never see Al again, or Winry, or Rizembool . . .”
 
Everyone present at the table suddenly felt a small piece of sympathy him, whether they liked it or not. “Edward . . .” Riza said softly, trying to comfort him a little, “We'll think of something . . . won't we?”
 
On her last statement, she shot a look at Roy, almost begging him to say something beneficial to the poor kid's mental state. If it weren't for those big brown eyes of hers doing the pleading, he might have twisted the dagger into him a little more just because he could, but . . . Mustang groaned too, backing down before he risked another argument with either of them, “There is another plan, but it's risky, highly risky, I'm not even convinced it'll work myself. But, it's worth a shot.”
 
“Brilliant pun,” Ed deadpanned, frowning again as he sat back up, “What exactly is this highly risky, but potentially working, plan?”
 
“Would you believe that I intend to lure out our assassins by giving them the one thing they lack presently?”
 
Riza looked at him skeptically. She wasn't alone as everyone's eyebrows shot up, “What exactly do you mean, sir? You . . . you don't intend to give them a clear shot at Edward, do you?”
 
Mustang frowned, nodding his head once, “We can't play hide and seek forever. If we choose a battleground on our own terms, we could be ready for them, but I still don't know.”
 
There was another heavy silence hanging over them.
 
“I don't know about you guys, but I need a drink,” Jean muttered finally, a spent cigarette hanging from his mouth, “Maybe if we get drunk enough we'll be able to see what the fuck is going on.”
 
There was a murmur of agreement from everyone around the table, except from Edward. He was bent over the table top, looking darkly at the deeply stained and scratched wood. His head rested on his folded arms, thinking over everything they'd learned today and during the previous days. Maybe they were missing something, one final piece to make it all clear. Not that he was helping. He tried to jog his memory for anything he could think of about that company, if he knew someone connected to them. It wasn't easy as it was the first time he even heard the name, which left him brooding. Frustrated, Havoc got up to place their orders at the bar. The same brooding look overtook the rest of the officers by the time he got back, passing beers and shot glasses out to everyone except the shrimp. Ed looked dejectedly at the mug of root beer set in front of him, glaring at Jean, “I know I'm not old enough, but couldn't you let it slip once maybe? Not even for a man with a gun practically pressed against his head?”
 
“Can it, FullMetal, at least for three more years,” Roy muttered before downing his shot of bourbon, “Then I'm sure someone will chip in to buy you your first drink.”
 
“Isn't against policy to drink while on-duty?” he asked.
 
“I won't mention it again if you don't,” Maes muttered, grinning broadly at his own shot glass.
 
Riza glanced at Edward then down at the beer before her hands. Despite Hughes protestations otherwise, the kid had a point and she pushed the stein away, “This is getting us no where while there's still a mole somewhere in Headquarters, who could be anyone, and a bunch of assassins running around with long-range rifles and hair triggers.”
 
“The First Lieutenant is right, even if I'm all for getting sloshed till something that makes sense comes out,” Jean said as he set down his mug, half of the beer already drained out of it, “What if we're wrong about this whole thing? It could be Alphonse they're after, I mean, they did use armor piercing rounds, and silencers so none of us knew it was coming till the first shot.”
 
“True, but you'd need those types of bullets to get through automail too. They'd be simple to get for an arm's company too. We probably have the same rounds in the armory,” she added, leaning on her elbows on the table, “And Al was no where near Edward or the smuggling suspect the night of the raid.”
 
“Then why did he get hit in the second attack?”
 
Now that was an answer Riza didn't have as she glanced towards the only two eyewitnesses at the table. Ed blinked at the question, his mind jumping track from doom and gloom to thinking logically again, “I . . . I don't know, the three of us we're clustered together talking.”
 
“I think I still remember that conversation too, something about you and food,” Mustang muttered as his eyes drooped.
 
“Don't remind me, I'm still hungry.”
 
“Boys . . .” Riza said threateningly, not allowing her annoyance to show, “Edward, were you closer to Al at the time of the shots, or was the Colonel?”
 
“Both of us were about the same I think, but I was in front and Mustang was at the side, I think,” he said, frowning, “Everything after that's a little fuzzy.”
 
“Roy?”
 
“Like the kid said as far as I remember . . . you're not changing theories are you?”
 
“No, but it is strange how they started shooting up everything once they missed the first shot. A professional sniper would have waited till someone made a mistake and moved out from cover. You wait for your target to be stupid, not be stupid yourself . . .”
 
“It was odd, sure, and we didn't think of it till now, but you've been saying all along that we're dealing with amateurs, ballsy amateurs, but still . . .”
 
“It has all the marking of a personal hit from a non-professional, just . . . maybe we do have the wrong target in mind . . .” Riza said as a silence fell over the table again with a clattering of glasses being placed down. It was an idea, which Roy considered, but then that would make him their only likely target. “Don't you think you're being a little too paranoid now?” he asked, thoroughly sounding as if he disbelieved the idea.
 
“You know, I didn't really think you'd take my idea seriously, ma'am. I mean, I could be wrong too, everything so far has pointed to FullMetal, not the Colonel or Alphonse,” Havoc said after another sip of beer, “If it was the Colonel, I mean, wouldn't they be smarter to sprinkle a little water on him first?”
 
Grins went round the table, except for the butt of the joke who glowered instead. His role for comedy in these dark times filled, the Second Lieutenant went back to drinking. It was slightly gratifying being taken seriously for a change though. Riza smiled a little at Jean for the humor, and across the table a slightly fiery look spread over Roy's face till she smiled at him too. After a moment of looking into her brown eyes, Mustang's anger went away and he silently went back to brooding. With a groan, Ed slumped over the table again, depressed once more, “We're still back to where we started . . .”
 
“Colonel, if I may suggest, getting an employee list from Delmark Arms might not require as much time as financial reports to see who ordered the transfer. Maybe a name will crop up on us,” Maes suggested as he shook the shot glass in his hands. A smirk it up across Roy's face at that thought. It was worth a try, and it would give him more time to come up with a feasible backup plan. “Alright, Hughes, get to work on that. Once you get the list, turn it over to us, I want a read through of it too. Havoc, I want you to start going over the departments, find anyone with connections to Delmark. Start in Purchasing then the Quartermaster since most of our requisition forms end up there. Since Internal Affairs hasn't been forthcoming, we can't rely on them, so no more contact. We'll handle this on our own . . .”
 
There was a sudden urge from everyone present, except Edward, to start saluting as their hands twitched. Thankfully none of them did, or their covers would have been blown to hell. Riza smiled at Mustang, softly, otherwise she would have been grinning, “Sir, if I may say . . . I'm very proud of you, using paperwork to your advantage once again.”
 
“Thank you,” Roy said, his grin unabashedly mischievous, “And the beauty of it is I don't have to sign a blasted thing!”
 
**********
 
They walked through the snow again, the fresh fall from the night before now packed down hard in the foot falls of the other pedestrians. It wasn't an odd sight, a man, a woman, and a child in the middle with the parents on either side, all walking together down the street. If it weren't for the scowl on the kid's face, or the fact that he was a little too old if one looked under his brown cap, anyone might have thought they were one happy family. Since the meeting in the bar ended, they'd been dropped off a bit away from Riza's apartment. Not that she had minded. The fresh air could do some good to wipe off the sour look on the young alchemist's face. He was so tightly wound sometimes with or without the present situation. She was fairly certain that if Edward's recklessness didn't get him killed a coronary would finish him off. It was times like these that she missed the presence of his sibling. At least around Alphonse he seemed happier. But it couldn't be helped.
 
Once they were out of the car, Roy's look had deepened as well. He seemed to always brew like that when his plans didn't work out right. It was hard watching him struggle with things he didn't have control over, like investigations, but he seemed to love it too. Maybe it was the mystery, or how satisfied he looked when it was over with. But in the thick of any prolonged case, he could turn into a right prick. Riza sighed, glancing around again as she ignored the sound of shuffling feet and the two gloomy alchemists next to her. Despite how many times she looked, she never really saw anything, and yet, something always made her nervous.
 
By chance, she looked over her shoulder, which was usually Roy's paranoia-induced department. There was a man behind them in a heavy green coat and brown hat, looking at them intently. That was funny. She's seen that same man behind them before, just two blocks back when they'd turned the corner. A warning went off in her head while the rest of her went decidedly calm. No panicking, not till she was sure. “Why don't we turn up at the corner, we should stop for more . . . bread for tonight's dinner, and I'm sure you must be hungry still, Edward?” Riza asked, trying not to sound desperate while adding emphasis onto her words.
 
The short alchemist blinked at her, “A little . . .”
 
He lied. He was famished and food one of them didn't have to cook sounded good. Roy glanced at her though, more suspicious than confused by the suddenness of her request, “Darling . . . is there something you're not telling us?”
 
“No, just a really good bakery ahead. . .” she said slowly. Riza looked into the Colonel's eyes, the brown orbs shifting toward behind them ever so slightly. His dark eyes widened, taking up the subtle hint to look back as well. He almost turned his whole head but noticed the panic in her eyes as he froze. Something was wrong, just as he suspected. “Ed, I think she's right, I'm feeling hungry myself, we should stop,” he said, his voice bland.
 
“Whatever,” the teenager said roughly, as if he didn't care if he ate or not, starting to trudge past them. Both of the adults panicked as he moved away, stepping quickly behind his back to keep him covered as they rounded the corner. Riza took a quick glance and noticed the man had sped up too. Now she was sure they were being followed. “Roy . . .” she said, a tremor in her voice.
 
“I know, I know, I'm thinking.”
 
“What's going on?” Ed asked as he glanced between them, picking up on the tension as his eyes narrowed, “We're not going to eat, are we?”
 
“Not unless you want it to perhaps be your last meal, FullMetal,” Roy said, moving up to grab his shoulder roughly, “Don't look back, we have a follower.”
 
Whether he intended it or not, Edward stiffened, nearly stopping in their march through the snow if it wasn't for the Colonel's hand propelling his feet along. Beneath her longcoat, Riza reached for her side arm, keeping the rifle down for now. This could be bad, or could be the break they needed as it wasn't an ambush but a straggler. It was a chance to crack the case wide open or get one of them killed. She could feel the adrenaline flooding her system as her heart raced, beads of sweat forming on her brow. “Roy . . .” she said slowly, using the words to calm herself, “I'm taking a chance, sir.”
 
“Riza, don't be stupid.”
 
“When am I ever stupid? Please . . .” she started ask, looking into his eyes to see the worry there in the ebon depths, “Let me do this . . . Get Edward out of here.”
 
The safety clicked off from the gun in her hands, and now even Ed felt afraid, about ready to run. Roy looked at her, torn. Damnit! He was supposed to be the one giving orders and being brave, not her! But at the determined looked in her brown eyes and their wide expression, he wasn't about to undermine his best soldier. “I hope you know what you're doing, Lieutenant, and you better come back safe,” he said darkly but with a slight hitch of worry in his voice, “Edward, next corner we break right.”
 
He nodded, the end of the sidewalk approaching fast. Suddenly, Riza moved, spinning on her heel to face their follower. The two alchemists ran across the street, barely noticed as she brought the handgun up. The man in green stopped and she noticed the whites of his eyes expand, along with his skin blanching. He was afraid of her, or probably more so of the gun pointed at him. He obviously hadn't expected that, and she wasn't expecting him to run. “Shit,” she cursed as he took off across the street, nearly getting run over as car brakes squelched.
 
Hawkeye ran as well, ducking around the traffic to keep up. She jumped over the banks of plowed snow while her suspect struggled to wade through it, giving her an advantage in catching up. “Stop!” she shouted as he floundered about, fear evident as his head snapped toward her.
 
Wasn't this supposed to be the other way around? She could have sworn a moment ago she was the one in fear of getting shot dead. Growling in frustration as he didn't listen and ran faster, she followed.
 
**********
 
Mustang shoved Edward down one of the narrow alleys less then a block from the apartment, both of them exhausted from running. “Déjà vu all over again,” FullMetal muttered, bent over and resting with his hands on his knees as he panted, “If you got us lost again-.”
 
“I know where we are, shut up,” Roy said with an annoyed edge on his voice, “I haven't heard shots, so I think we're fine.”
 
“What about Lieutenant Hawkeye?”
 
“She's a big girl, she can handle herself.”
 
“Aren't you the least bit worried for your-?”
 
“Don't even finish that question, FullMetal, this is Riza's job, as is yours, so shove it right now or ask her yourself later,” Mustang said, very pissed off that the kid decided to bring this up now. The glare pointed in his direction was enough to shut Ed up, along with the implied tone. So the Colonel was worried about her after all, just really, really didn't want to talk about it. Suddenly, he felt kind of sorry for Roy, being in love with a woman that put herself at risk because it was her duty. “No wonder your relationship is so-,” he started to say till the Flame Alchemist waved his hand at him like a madman, shushing him, “But I was-.”
 
“Shut up,” he hissed through his teeth but Ed kept babbling on, “What the hell! You never let me-!”
 
Roy sprung up from the wall and lunged at FullMetal, grabbing him and putting a gloved hand over his mouth as he went ballistic. For a moment, the Colonel was sure his hand was going to get bit and his ass kicked by the pint-sized pack of over-reaction as he tried to thrash his way out of the arm-lock. It took all of his control to keep his voice down before he yelled at him and made even more noise, “Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut the hell up and listen!”
 
There it was, growing louder than when he heard it over Ed's blabbering. It was the sound of running feet overhead. The young alchemist heard it too and stopped struggling. Surprisingly enough, he let Roy he pulled him back into a dark corner of the alley without knocking his block off and screaming bloody murder. They both went dead silent and looked up as the pounding only grew louder with a thump, thump, thump. A shadow passed overhead, jumping across the thin gap between the rooftops, the sound of feet hitting the opposite side matching what they witnessed. They both flinched. It was only one person, no second or third shadow joining them, as the sound passed. “Where are you going . . .?” Mustang wondered out loud to himself about that figure, forgetting about everything else for the moment.
 
That was until a frustrated growl was issued from under his arms. Ed went back to struggling, prying the hand off his mouth to mutter in a dangerously low voice, “Get the hell off of me . . .”
 
Mustang suddenly remembered who he was hugging, and pushed FullMetal away fast. The pip-squeak turned on him, fury in his amber eyes, like he was about to deck his commanding officer. But then his metal hand shook in the air with a soft clank of moving parts, an accusing finger pointed at his face. “Don't ever, ever do that again,” Ed threatened, sounding like his anger was barely held in check, “Got it?”
 
Roy smirked, his voice just as dark as the kid's, “That wasn't exactly pleasant for me either, next time I tell you to shut up, shut the hell up.”
 
“Arrogant bastard.”
 
“Idiotic little brat.”
 
Threats and name-calling exchanged, an angry stare-down contest between them commenced until the Colonel broke it off first, rolling his eyes, “Save it for later, FullMetal, now would be a good time to make a break for it since our assassin is gone.”
 
Grumbling, and not liking it for one moment, Edward let him lead the way back out of the alley, “You could just satisfy my curiosity right now, and tell that you're worried about her? I'd feel a whole lot better at least.”
 
“I am worried now,” Roy said with a frown, glancing back up to the roofs as they reached the streets, “Very, very worried.”
 
**********
 
Riza hated chases, pounding down the slick pavement with the wet crunch snow in her wake. Havoc was better at this than her. He wasn't that good of a shot compared to her, but he could outrun most people. Winter clothes were not designed for running either, her coat wide open and the barrel of the rifle peeking out along with the strap used to keep it on her. It was going to take an act of God to catch up to the bastard now. She rounded the corner, nearly skidding on icy slush in her rush. He was purposefully picking deserted streets now after a few brave souls in the crowds of pedestrians they passed nearly caught him for her. It was clever of him, annoyingly clever. She ran as fast as she could, watching the man cross the street then zigzag through another crowd of walkers. Where the hell was he going? She watched as the guy in green took a sharp turn down into an alley.
 
Riza knew where she was well enough to know that particular alley stopped in a dead end. Well, she was looking for an act of God, but one of stupidity worked too. With a new burst of speed, she rounded the corner into the alley, barreling right into the suspect. They collided, the Lieutenant's momentum great enough to throw him deeper into the narrow passage as well as shove him to the ground. She landed on top of him, scrambling up to sit on his stomach hard, forcing out all the air he had left from his lungs. Regardless of if he could breathe or not, the guy still tried to fight the determined woman off, “Get off me, bitch!”
 
The hammer of her gun clicked, and the barrel was pressed under his throat, “Want to say that again?”
 
The man froze, his eyes widening as he stared up at her in disbelief. She loomed over him, sitting up with a cold fury in her brown eyes. For a moment, it looked like she didn't care if she killed him or not, “Who sent you?”
 
“I ain't telling you! Get the hell off me!”
 
With a growl, her knee moved and crushed into his lap as he gave a choking cry of pain. She asked a different question this time, “Why were you following us?”
 
Despite the pain Riza was causing him, he paused. Was he really considering her question? “Us?” he asked in a small, agonized voice, “I was suppose to follow you, not the kid or the guy, and certainly not get my ass caught.”
 
Her icy calm shattered, the panic rising in her throat. Her!? Followed?! Why?! The gun pressed into his throat more insistently, “Why!? Who sent you!?”
 
“I'm a private detective, I follow people! It's my job!”
 
“Why were you following me?! Who sent you?!”
 
“I got paid for it, lady! Get the hell off me!”
 
“By who?! Why?!”
 
“I don't know who! They contacted me through another client. They wanted to know-,” he started to say before there was a blast through air, followed by a spray of blood after a sickening thump. She shielded her eyes as her vision was nothing but crimson. When she looked again, there was a gaping hole where the man's forehead had been. Riza hurled herself away from the fresh corpse, flipping onto her back into the snow and pointing the gun up. Her heart beat wildly in her throat while scanning the rooftop, looking for the barrel of a rifle to be pointed at her. All she saw was a skittering black shadow and the sound of running feet that diminished second by second. They were running away? Why did they kill the guy and not her? They had a clear shot at her. She didn't know the answer to any of her questions, but she was determined to find out something. The Lieutenant sprung back to her feet, and put the gun away before looking for a quick way up to the roof.
 
There was a fire escape nearby, rusty, but sturdy. Riza took it, jumping up to grab the ladder. She pulled herself up then pounded up the stairs. As she ran, she pulled the rifle strapped under her coat free and slipped on the scope hidden in her outer pocket. Sometimes it paid to be prepared. Whoever it was, she'd never get close enough to them in time to catch up, but she might learn something of their suspect or take a shot. The sharpshooter made it to the roof, peeking just over the edge as she held the rifle up. She looked through the eyepiece, tracking the movement she saw in the distance while muttering out loud, “Where are you? Where are you? Where are you?”
 
And then she spotted them, a black blur in her crosshairs, too far for a shot. She cursed, “Damnit!”
 
It was only a silhouette too, covered in head to toe in black. There wasn't even a hair color visible from under a dark cap they wore. And yet her eyes did see something as the shadow turned, the curves of a body. Their sniper was a woman? And then the figure was gone just as quickly as she processed that thought, dropping out of sight back down to the street. Riza lowered the gun, the last few moments playing over in her head. Slowly, she turned around and looked back down to the alley and the body. Someone sent a detective after her? Why? And why would their assassin kill him? To silence him before he said too much, right? Was this like their other dead lead, yet another loose end to be tied up? What were they after? And what did she and Edward have to do with it?
 
The questions ran through her head at a maddening pace. Maybe she was going mad, the paranoia coursing through her. For a moment, her control on her nerves shattered, very, very scared before she squashed it again. Now wasn't the time. When she was home, safe, and huddled in the arms of the man who loved her, then maybe she'd lose her sanity a little. Or was her home no longer safe too?
 
Riza closed her coat, hiding the guns along with the blood covering the front of her sweater. She walked quickly and efficiently down the fire escape, through the alley, and back onto the street, intent on believing for the moment that none of this had happened. And yet, the further away she got from the scene, the more it sank in that she was in fact now caught up in this mess more than ever before.
 
**********
 
To Be Continued in Of Ballet and Bullets, Part 7, A Simple Plan.