Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Of Ballet and Bullets ❯ A Simple Plan ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Of Ballet and Bullets
 
Part 7 - A Simple Plan
 
A Full Metal Alchemist fanfiction, By Serenanna
 
Warnings and Disclaimers: I don't own Full Metal Alchemist or any of the characters. I'm just borrowing them to play with. I'll return them later, promise. There is violence, adult content, and sexual situations in this story, but no naughty bits in this chapter. So, if you're under 18, leave now before your virgin eyes are scarred forever, if you're over 18, enjoy!
 
Story Notes: Time frame for this fic doesn't matter as my knowledge of FMA is a bit scattered but obviously before the ending and Maes's death, and set during the anime series. Also, this is an Ed/Winry and Roy/Riza fic (Two for the price of one!). Being this is fanfiction, liberties were taken with the actions of the characters and certain parts of the fic are not canonal, I just don't know which ones. This fic hinges on a lot more plot compared to the last time out in Overhaul, Overhaul 2, and A Betting Crowd, which I recommend reading before diving into this. This one has violent action scenes, suspense, humor, and mild angst in it, so the sex and romance may be few and far between. In summary, you're all getting what I call a real plot. No, really, I'm actually working on a real plot this time! Beta reading has been done by Dreximgirl. (Thank you!) Read the above disclaimers again if you're still squeamish about reading this, blood splatter included, but I assure you, it'll be worth it in the end probably. Again, no pieces of automail, skirts, guns, tuxedoes, or ballet dancers were harmed in the production of this piece of . . . well . . .
 
***********
 
Roy paced back and forth between the small living room and the dining room of Riza's apartment. Something was wrong, very, very wrong. At least, that was what Edward read in the Colonel's movements. He had been obviously agitated and troubled ever since they had arrived back. Like he wasn't worried too, but he didn't look like he was going to completely lose his marbles either. It didn't help that the man still wore the gun that the Lieutenant had given him, and the ignition gloves. It looked like he was excepting trouble. Black Hayate sat in the boy's lap, watching Mustang too as he put his head down with a soft whine. Apparently he didn't like the situation either. Ed couldn't blame him, stroking his metal hand through the soft fur to calm himself as well as the dog. And yet the heavy foot-falls on wood grated on his nerves no matter how much he tried to keep calm. “She should have been back by now,” Mustang muttered as he finally stopped pacing, looking at Edward, “What time is it?”
 
“One minute since the last time you asked,” he replied with a new scowl on his face, looking down at the open pocket watch on the table, “And about five minutes since we arrived back.”
 
“She could be in trouble, I should have called the office for back up,” Roy said, going for the phone before thinking against it, “Damnit, damnit, damnit! I will not lose faith in her! She's fine! She's . . . fine . . .”
 
Ed frowned more as the Colonel went back to pacing. He was about to open his mouth, a sarcastic remark dancing through his head, when there was a sound on the stairs. It sounded like foot-falls on the wooden floor. Roy tensed until they heard the scraping of a key in the lock. He visibly relaxed and opened the door before the latch had even been turned. Riza stood there in a haze, blinking as she looked up at him instead of coming inside, “I . . . what happened?”
 
He didn't say anything as he pulled her inside quickly. Before she could utter a word, the door was closed and his arms were around her, hugging her tightly. As her body stiffened, he knew something was wrong, and yet he didn't let go. Slowly, Riza's composure snapped as she shook, tense, “Roy . . . Let me go.”
 
Her tone of voice was like ice, the sound passing though him as he froze. She pried herself away from him, backing up into the door. The fear in her brown eyes shot straight into him, forcing aside his relief at seeing her safe and sound. Maybe she was neither as safe nor as sound as he thought. “Riza . . .” Mustang said softly, trying to calm them both down even as the rampant paranoia gripped him as well, “What happened?”
 
Why did he have to ask that when words seemed beyond her at the moment? All along the walk back, all that she could think about were questions, questions, nothing but questions, and no answers. While she was still a little afraid, no denying that, she was annoyed, bordering on angry, enough that she wanted to shoot something very badly, including him. Hugging could come later as a flash of frustration crossed her face, much later. With a huff, she threw off her coat, letting it fall to the floor. As soon as Roy saw the deep red and reddish-brown splatter all over her cream sweater, he paled, “Riza, what the hell happened?”
 
As if noticing the blood for the first time, her anger was brushed aside as she looked down and blinked, speaking too calmly about it, “It isn't mine.”
 
Edward watched the whole thing from the couch with a feeling of detachment, as if he wasn't even there. There was something undeniably wrong with the First Lieutenant or at least with what happened to her as she looked at them both. He probably would have said something, and really wanted to, but the look on the Colonel's face stopped him. Dealing with an upset Hawkeye was the man's department, not his. And yet no one spoke in those few moments till Roy reached to grab her arm, only to have her slip free and hiss at him, “Don't, just don't, not now.”
 
“Riza . . .”
 
“I will tell you what the hell happened when I'm good and ready!” she yelled at him. For a moment Ed thought she'd finally cracked until she took a deep breath and let it out with one calm word, “Sir.”
 
She dropped the rifle next to the door, and walked quickly past him towards the kitchen. Roy was instantly behind her, his dark eyes darting over her with concern. Hayate sprang off the young alchemist's lap and followed, leaving him to catch up before he was left out. Instead of walking into the kitchen, both the boy and the dog crouched down and peeked through the open doorway quietly. It wasn't that hard to be silent given the clattering Riza made as she shuffled through the cabinets. Roy didn't say anything either as she seemed to be looking for something in particular. Growling with frustration, she pulled off her shoulder holster and slammed the gun down on the counter, before turning to him, “You'd think a grown woman would remember where she kept her alcohol hidden . . .”
 
A dark eyebrow went up on the Colonel's face, and Riza sighed, tugging the ruined sweater from her pants. With one swift motion, she pulled it over her head and off before tossing it out towards the dining room. Ed and Hayate ducked out of sight and out of the way of the flying garment, going unnoticed as she stood there with just a black satin bra covering her top. If there wasn't an air of tension about everything, the teenager may have gawked at the half-naked woman, but he didn't. Winry had done a thorough job desensitizing him to female nudity already. Given how much blood had soaked through the yarn, he couldn't blame her for wanting to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Flecks of dried blood clung to the fabric as well as her fair skin, turning a sickly shade of ruddy brown. She stood there shaking a moment, her hands gripping the counter until her knuckles went bone-white. Roy's eyes widened and he quickly pulled off his own shirt to drape it over her shoulders. For a moment, his hands rubbed her upper back in comfort until she stiffened again under his touch, her fingers inching towards the gun. He pulled away, frowning as he moved around her to look through the cabinets himself, “You're right, a drink is in order.”
 
Eventually Mustang found a half empty bottle of whiskey lingering in the back of an upper shelf, hidden behind a packet of flour along with a small assortment of other spirits. He grabbed it along with two glass tumblers, pouring the drinks. Riza didn't notice until the liquor was placed before, standing hunched over the counter and staring numbly into the swirls of the stone veins. She grabbed the shot and downed it before Roy even had his to his lips, putting the glass down again with a clink. His dark eyes widened again, “You've picked a hell of a time to turn into a drinker, maybe you should slow down a little . . .”
 
“He's dead . . . the guy following us, he's dead,” the Lieutenant said softly and full of bitterness. Was it bitterness or was it just disappointment? “It wasn't you . . . was it?” he asked tentatively.
 
“No . . . take three guesses . . .”
 
Ed couldn't help it as he sputtered, “The snipers!?”
 
He cringed, just knowing both of the adults were looking at him with frowns on their faces despite the wall in between. It looked like his hiding place had been given away. Blushing, he stood up and leaned against the doorway, “Well, you didn't tell me not to listen in . . .”
 
Riza grabbed the bottle from Roy and poured another, larger drink, “There's more, this guy was a private-eye, he was paid to follow one of us.”
 
“Me?!” Ed asked, “For crying out loud!? Isn't that overkill?!”
 
“No, his orders were to follow me,” she said as she tossed back the double-shot of whiskey. The whole apartment went silent except for her glass hitting the counter again. Roy placed his drink down beside hers, and touched her hand. She looked up into his dark eyes, caught in the blackness there. He was worried, but not enough to be stifling, just enough to be as afraid as she was. The look on his face, of equal parts concern and comfort, melted the rest of Riza's resistance as she leaned towards him suddenly. Her face was buried in his chest as her fingers clutched his white undershirt, shaking slightly. His arms wrapped over her shoulders, holding her tightly with his lips pressed into her blond hair. It was all he could do as he tried to understand her implications. Ed must have been thinking along the same lines as the two men stared at each other, brooding. What in the world were they going to do now?
 
But of course, Mustang was already calculating an answer to that very question while brushing aside his worry for his lover at the moment. “Well, at least this means one thing,” he said lowly, “Looks like you're somewhat off the hook, kid.”
 
“How can you draw that conclusion? They could be after both of our heads now,” Ed said with a frown, “All this proves is that we should be more paranoid then we all are already. They could be watching the building right now.”
 
“If they were, then they would have struck already. They're waiting for something . . .”
 
Slowly, Riza put her head up, more composed and relaxed with three shots in her and a bit of comfort, “Roy, maybe we should consider moving out of here, and to a proper safe house? I won't like it any more than you, but this whole situation is slowly going sideways, and we're not one step closer to finding our suspects . . . well . . . maybe we are, I did see something of one of them . . .”
 
The Colonel arched his eyebrows at her, “Oh really?”
 
“Just that there was only one of them this time, and it was a woman.”
 
Ed blinked, “A woman? . . . Maybe there's a sniper working for us now?”
 
Roy smirked at the idea, “Dream on, whoever she was, she's probably connected to this somehow, it's too . . .”
 
“. . . Yeah, it's too much of a coincidence, but why?”
 
“We'd all like to know that I think . . .”
 
“Well, if she is one of the original snipers, she's gotten to be a better shot, hit him right in the forehead without even grazing me, it was a very good shot . . .” Riza said with a frown, glancing towards the bottle of whiskey while pondering another drink, “There's a little more to it too. The detective was contacted by a previous client, but I never got his name . . .”
 
“We'll have to get the body taken care of and find out the identity that way. I'll call the office soon,” Roy frowned, not liking the new situation one bit, “I don't like this at all, they're being far to free with their actions . . .”
 
“Doesn't answer what we're doing to do now . . .” there was gloom in Ed's voice as he said that. The Lieutenant he was still hugging didn't look too convinced of it either. Her voice shook slightly as she asked, “What do you intend to do?”
 
“First off, we're not moving,” the Colonel said as his arms slipped away from around her figure. Methodically, the Flame Alchemist pulled off his gloves and stuffed them down his back pocket as he walked past them both. He then sat down at the dining room table, pulling the phone in front of him as he spoke, “Like I said, if they did know where we were, they would have hit by now if their goal was the death of either of you. They had their chances today, but didn't take them. They're waiting for us to make a move perhaps, and I intend to make one on my own terms. We've sat around long enough. Hawkeye, where is the body now?”
 
“In an alley between Claymont and Ashmore,” she said as she turned and moved up to the doorway, leaning on the opposite side of Edward, “What are you intending to do, sir?”
 
“Take care of our corpse, and set up my back-up plan. I need an hour then I'll tell you both fully what our recourse will be. Lieutenant, you look like you need to get cleaned up, and Major, as punishment for eavesdropping, you have KP duty. Make something before your stomach gets louder than your voice. And make me something too while you're at it,” he said as he picked up the receiver, dialing the rotor for their office number. Apparently that was the end of the discussion for now. The young alchemist growled lowly, muttering, “Friggen bastard Colonel, can't even make his own sandwich.”
 
Riza didn't say anything as she walked past Edward towards the hallway with Hayate padding behind her. Roy was probably right anyway. A shower would feel good about now, and food too, no matter what the boy chose to make as part of kitchen patrol. Sighing, she walked into the bathroom and then started to slowly close the door behind her. Before it was shut completely, she could see Mustang's eyes following her despite the distance, a reassuring smile on his face. Despite how much she may have protested his appearance at her apartment two days ago, and how much chaos it wrought since, she was grateful. If it had only been her and Ed, she didn't think she could have handled it as well. Smiling slightly, Hawkeye closed the door then turned to look in the mirror, frowning at the mild buzz in her head from the alcohol, “I guess it could have been a lot worse . . .”
 
The pup nuzzled her ankles with a small whine, prompting a smile down at him from his mistress, “You're right too, of course. It could have gone a lot better . . . just glad to be home in one piece.”
 
**********
 
One hour later, they all drifted back to the table which Roy was hunched over, still on the phone. The only time he even came close to grinning was when FullMetal shoved a sandwich in front of him before plopping down in the chair across the table. He didn't even utter a thank youl, which sent the pip-squeak into muttering numerous variations of ungrateful bastard. At least the kid stopped once he dug into his plate piled high with at least five different sandwiches. Riza joined them soon afterwards. She looked a lot better even if she was only dressed in her white robe, her hair still damp. Or maybe it was the cup of tea she had made and sipped on before sitting down that calmed her frazzled nerves.
 
The Colonel looked at her with a scant smile, distracted by her for a moment before he went back to talking on the phone, “Right, right, don't worry about it, Maes, I'll take care of it all on my end. I need you and Havoc to do the logistics, and financing. Falman's back from leave? Fine, put him on the lead with the detective. I'm not stopping the investigation. I am just tired of sitting. There should be enough in petty cash for incidentals, wire it into my account. I'll get the requisition forms to you tomorrow too. Right, got it all now? . . . I know it's risky! This is why I didn't want to do it earlier, but stuff changed! Don't make me repeat it all over again . . . I'm touched, really, didn't know you cared so much . . . right, Hughes, just get your ass home for the day, and see your beautiful little girl and lovely wife so I don't have to hear about them from you! . . . Bye, Hughes.”
 
He hung up the phone with an exasperated sigh, prompting a soft laugh from the Lieutenant and a smirk from the Major. Roy glared at them both, “You'd do that too after talking to him for an hour on end, admit it.”
 
Ed snorted a chuckle over his half-eaten sandwich then put it down while wiping a bit of mayo from his mouth, “Perhaps, but it's more entertaining watching him push your buttons rather than ours.”
 
Riza grinned sheepishly, shrugging as she couldn't help but agree when the Colonel looked to her for a response. Growling in frustration, he muttered, “Mutinous lot you are, I should ship you all off to someone else's command.”
 
“Sir . . .”
 
“I know, I know, then I wouldn't get to order either of you around . . .” he said as he watched the two of them sputter, “If you're both ready now, we have a long discussion ahead of us.”
 
“You mean we finally learn of this back-up plan?” Riza asked as she put her tea down.
 
“Yup!” Roy said, much too happily as he leaned back in his chair, “I've come to several conclusions today given everything that's happened today. Our assassins are after something which no longer requires the death of FullMetal, but requires following Hawkeye, so . . . we set a trap. We need a battleground that's public, yet enclosed, one we can get information on, and one relatively out of the way of normal habits. Above all, it needs to send a signal to our assassins that we know they're after us, so, out of the ordinary is good.”
 
“But why?” Ed asked as he was tempted to scowl again, “Isn't that just begging them to attack?”
 
“That's kind of the point. We want them to strike, but we'll have enough eyes there to root them out before they do.”
 
“So much for investigation. What about Delmark Arms and all that?” Riza asked, sounding slightly put out, “Wouldn't it be better to lay low and let the others unravel this?”
 
“I'd love to, but we're running out of options. You don't want us here forever, and the longer this drags on, the more the rest of the military is going to ask questions. We can't afford questions right now, remember . . . Besides, I always am better with a plan of action,” Roy said with a shrug, “I gave Maes a few days to keep digging anyway while we work, maybe he'll turn over something.”
 
“Can we get back to the plan, please?” Ed asked after another bite of food.
 
“Right, I've already selected our battleground for this operation, but we'll have to do most of it ourselves. We'll need outfitting, and covers.”
 
“Covers, sir?” Hawkeye asked, blinking, “What exactly are you proposing?”
 
“Edward, Riza . . . Have either of you been to the ballet?”
 
The teenager choked on his sandwich, coughing to dislodge the piece stuck in his throat before swallowing on it hard. Similarly, Riza's teacup dropped to the table with a heavy clink on the saucer. She stared at him, her mouth gaping open in complete shock. “Have you gone mad?!” the Lieutenant yelled, climbing out of her chair, “Sir! I mean really?! Ballet?! That's no place for a military operation! What if something goes wrong?! The civilians we could be putting at risk!”
 
Roy had anticipated this, “Complete and total chaos isn't out of the cards yet, Lieutenant. I've thought about it too. Please, sit back down so I can explain?”
 
With much reluctance, she lowered herself back down while her eyes never left his. He didn't mind the stare down, grinning at her instead. If she didn't question the choices he made, he doubted he'd respect her as much as he did. Nevertheless, he continued, “In three days from now is the Central City Ballet's premiere of its new piece called the Firebird. I've already arranged box-seats for four, and seats throughout the hall for the rest of the team. We'll be acting as the bait while the rest patrol during the performance. Hopefully, we'll find our assassins before they strike, but if they slip through and attack, I've arranged for a few circles to be transcribed on the box ahead of time for our protection. It'll make things quicker if we need to fall back on them. If all hell does break lose, we need an escape route out the back of the theater. They haven't struck at any civilians in the way yet, so that's a plus on our side as I doubt they'll start now. We need this to look as normal as possible, so, Riza, I'll be escorting you.”
 
A smile crept onto her face along with a slight blush, “Roy, you're not using this as an excuse for a date, are you?”
 
“No, a chance to see you in an evening gown is just an added bonus,” Mustang said as he grinned back, bordering on impish before he continued, “But this leaves our problem with FullMetal . . .”
 
“Problem? What problem?” Ed asked as he scowled again, “There isn't a problem, but then again, I haven't agreed to this yet, really, ballet? You might as well just write `shoot here' on my forehead.”
 
“What's bothering you? Playing bait for a few bullets or the music and dancing? I don't like it any more than you do, but I'm not the one targeted either. I won't order you to do this, but the reality of it is we could be stuck here indefinitely if none of the leads pan out. Likewise, I doubt you'll want keep looking over your shoulder forever while hunting for the stone. So, which is it?” Roy asked, but he already knew the answer.
 
The young alchemist still looked skeptical, his eyes shifting over towards Riza who just shrugged. It was beginning to look like he didn't have a choice. “Alright, fine, I'm in, never did like sitting around anyway . . .” he said grudgingly, “So what's this problem of mine?”
 
“Do you know any pretty young women who'd jump at a chance to go out with you for an evening with you?”
 
Ed sputtered again at his question, turning red, “What!? A girl?! I don't know any girls! I-! No!”
 
“You need a date, Major.”
 
“A date?! No! No way in hell! I'll go alone!”
 
The Lieutenant's brown eyes narrowed slightly at his denial, knowing he was lying out his ass after what she'd witnessed that morning. No man would stay up all night talking to a woman if he merely considered her just a friend. And no woman would do the same unless there was something there. He did like the Rockbell girl, and she liked him, or he was an oblivious idiot. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense to use her. She was already familiar with the other officers from when she visited, not to mention her penchant for getting in on their messes anyway. It might also put Edward more at ease too with her around. Slowly, Riza smiled, “What about Miss Winry?”
 
The boy paled and looked at her in disbelief, “She's my mechanic . . .”
 
“But she's pretty, and she's your best friend, or so you've said. We should ask her. You must be dying to see her.”
 
A look of malice crossed Ed's amber eyes a moment, pointed in Riza's direction.
 
Roy's eyebrows arched at the exchange between them, especially as FullMetal suddenly seemed more nervous at the mere mention of the girl. Winry, Winry, that name struck a cord in him as he remembered her last name, Rockbell. He paled too. It was a small world after all, wasn't it? Yet, if he recalled right, she would be just what this mission needed. She'd been in dangerous situations before if he remembered with the Chopper, and she'd say yes to a request from Ed without a second thought. Slowly, Mustang grinned as well, “She's perfect. Edward, I order you to call her and ask her.”
 
“What!? You bastard! You can't order me on a date!” Ed said as he jumped up from his chair, “It's-, it's-, damnit, it's not fair! I-! Isn't it enough with what happened with the Chopper?! I don't want to put her in that sort of situation again!”
 
As soon as the words were out of his mouth, he regretted them, as there was far too much of the truth in them. The last thing he wanted was for them to know how much he cared for Winry. They wouldn't understand at all. He didn't want her involved in this, but . . . damn that bastard, he was being ordered, wasn't he? His hands tightened into fists, the cruelty of the situation just dawning on him. She'd hate him for taking her into danger if he did ask her, but she'd hate him even more if he took someone else. “Is this completely necessary, sir?” he asked, his voice small and terse.
 
Riza's eyes softened at the pained expression on Edward's face, about ready to call it off herself until Roy broke in, “It would look abnormal if you didn't have a female companion to escort, besides, you could always hope that this thing doesn't end in a complete disaster. You should thank me later if it doesn't and you end up getting lucky . . .”
 
“Roy!” she shouted at him, mortified as she slapped his shoulder. The poor boy splutter and turned about twenty different colors between white, green, deep purplish-red, and bright pink, sputtering. Mustang just smirked, not even reacting to Hawkeye's smack, “Could be worse, we could have to hire another woman to escort him if she says no.”
 
“And you're ordering me to ask her?” Ed asked with a deep frown.
 
“Yes, but I would hope you'd treat her as if she's welcome here . . . and you can't let her in on our plan either,” he started to explain until the kid raised his metal hand to cut him off. Edward has been afraid of that too, but he knew it was coming. Stiffly, he reached across the table and grabbed the phone from in front of the Colonel then turned with it to walk towards the hallway. “I get it,” he said, not hiding the anger in his voice, “I don't like it, but I get it. I'll call her, in private.”
 
Both of the adults exhaled in relief when he grumbled his way towards the door to his bedroom, the dark cord trailing behind him. And yet, before Ed went in, he stopped and glared at the pair of officers, shouting, “And for the record, if you two ever have kids, you'd be the worst parents of all time! Nothing can be worse than parents with security clearances!”
 
The door slammed with reverberation that shook the walls of the small apartment. They looked at each other in shock a moment. After a moment, Roy muttered quietly while still staring down the hallway, “That went well . . .”
 
“Was this really necessary, sir?”
 
“Riza . . .”
 
“Roy, I do know your name. Enough already, and answer the question,” she said, feeling angry with him herself until she sighed, “He . . . She is his friend, one of the few friends either of the Elrics have outside of the military. Whether he admits it or not, the only reason they both still think of Rizembool as home at all is because of her . . . What if doing this damages that relationship?”
 
“How long have we been friends, Riza?”
 
“Seven years, I think?”
 
“And how many times have we either argued, lied to one another, hidden something, or just been in danger together?”
 
“Too many . . .”
 
“And we're still . . . friends right?”
 
“Considering where you've been sleeping recently, I would hope so,” she said with a small smile, watching as he grinned, “I see your point, but I can't help but wonder. She is a civilian after all, and while she may be tough, is she that strong to withstand gunfire and mortal peril?”
 
Roy smiled at her, reaching across the table to grasp the blonde's hand. His fingers touched her palm, feeling the rough calluses from the guns she wielded, “I don't know her well . . . but she always did sort of remind me of a younger version of you . . .”
 
Riza blushed and smiled anyway, letting him drag her chair closer to his as they watched the door. Leaning over, he buried his nose in her hair, murmuring slightly as he ruminated over the kid's words. Parents, huh? He hadn't thought of that before as the notion itched in a long forgotten part of his head. “Do you think I'd make a good dad?” he asked suddenly, his voice low and full of curiosity.
 
The blonde did a double-take at him, not believing that he would ask such a thing now of all times. She hadn't given the thought of what she'd do as a mother much thought, and she'd spent even less worrying about what Roy would be like as a father. That was a very surreal thought the more she did think about it. Maybe they weren't cut out to be parents at all. Their lives belonged to the military, not each other, for now at least. But . . . it was a nice little daydream. Riza smiled slightly, one that slowly twitched st her lips until she was grinning. A light giggle issued from her throat, and he growled, frowning until she answered, “You'd make a fine dad, just don't be too eager to find out.”
 
“Why's that?”
 
“Did you ever ask Maes what was the first thing was that went away when Gracia had Elysia?”
 
“No . . . what was it?”
 
“The sex.”
 
A look of distaste crossed Roy's face so quickly that she burst out laughing, giggling madly as it turned into a scowl. “This isn't funny, Riza,” he muttered, yanking her even closer, “That's one thing I'm not giving up, ever.”
 
She could feel his grin at the base of her neck before his teeth nipped her skin, making her squirm, “Bastard.”
 
“That's Colonel Bastard, seems like you need another lesson in that along with calling me `sir' all the damned time.”
 
“Whatever you say . . . sir.”
 
**********
 
Ed was lying back on the bed, staring up at the unfamiliar ceiling. He hated it when they manipulated him, but it was even worse when they ordered him. Why did they have to drag Winry into this? He wanted to protect her from all this, which was why he rejected the similar idea she had last night. How was he ever going to lie to her about this? The sinking feeling he'd had all day came back, coupled with more guilt. This was going to end in nothing good, and he knew it. Lying and taking her unwittingly into danger, two things he never wanted to do to her. Maybe there was a bright side to all this. It would be nice to have her around after he missed her so much, and she certainly missed him too. He'd also get to take her on a date . . . sort of. Ed sighed again, and turned towards the phone where it sat on the nightstand beside him. This was torture. Every time he'd tried to pick it up, he put it back down as his mind tossed. He'd already done that four times and nearly dialed once. “Damn it . . .” he cursed, slamming a fist into the mattress underneath him, “I can do this . . . I was ordered to do this . . .”
 
Mustering up the resolve, Edward grabbed the phone, dialing in the Rockbell's number on the rotary as fast as his fingers could move. The line crackled then rang, each sound making him more nervous as he muttered to himself, “When she finds out, she's going to kill me.”
 
On the third ring, he heard it being picked up, followed by Pinako's craggy voice, “Rockbell Automail of Rizembool.”
 
“Uhh, Granny?”
 
“Edward? Oh for heaven's sake, what did you break now?”
 
“Um, nothing, can I talk to Winry . . . please?” he asked, his nervousness doubled. There was a low, thoughtful hum on the other end of the line from the old woman before he heard her shout her ward's name. After a crackle of movement, a breathless voice spoke into the phone, “Hello?”
 
“Winry?”
 
“Ed! Uh, this is a surprise. Why are you calling now? Isn't it a bit early?” she asked before he heard an irritated murmur, “You broke something, didn't you?”
 
“You know, it's very annoying that both you and your grandmother assume I break something every time I call . . .”
 
“When do you call otherwise? Except perhaps to wake me from my slumber?”
 
“Winry . . .”
 
“What do you want, Ed? It's only mid-afternoon, and I was working with a new client. If this is a social call, so help me I will break a part of you myself,” she threatened, sounding tired before she sighed, “Sorry . . . I'm a little grouchy after last night, and sleeping on the kitchen counter hasn't improved my mood.”
 
“It's ok, I understand, it's just . . .” he started before stopping. How was he every going to put this? He could hear the fake words in his head, and it sounded all wrong. She'd never buy it in a million years if he was just suddenly out of danger. There had to be a way out of this. Exhaling to calm his nerves, he started again, “Do you remember what you asked me last night, about coming to Central to visit?”
 
“How could I forget? But you're right. It probably isn't a good idea if you're in danger and hiding . . . why do you ask?”
 
“Well . . . according to the Colonel, he thinks it's over, but wants me to stay here longer, and he said it wouldn't hurt if I invited a friend for company since Al isn't here with me,” Ed said with a rush of pride despite the lie. Somehow, pinning the blame all on Mustang made him feel a hell of a lot better if something went wrong. It was two birds with one stone. If something did happen, she'd be more likely to knock out the bastard rather than him, and it would serve him right to get a wrench to the head for once. There was a squeal of excitement on the other end of the line, “You mean it?! Really?! I can come?!”
 
“Yes, really, but there's more to it than that.”
 
“Oh, like what?”
 
“Well, you mentioned last night about a date too, so . . .”
 
“Oh my God . . . Edward Elric, are you asking me out on a date?!” Winry shouted into the phone in barely contained astonishment. Despite himself, he grinned and went quiet as he imagined the look on her face. He could almost see her blue eyes shining at him, and it melted his heart, “Yeah, you could say that . . .”
 
There was an excited shriek through the phone, and his grin widened until it faltered slightly. Oh, was he ever going to get it if and when the plan went downhill. She may have been the happiest girl in Amestris at that moment but as soon as she found out that she'd been tricked, he would be mincemeat. A low purr came from her voice, bring his guilty conscience back to the conversation at hand, “So, what kind of date is this?”
 
“Um, actually, it's an invitation to a ballet performance from the Colonel, and I sort of need to bring someone so . . .”
 
“I never imagined you had it in you . . .” she said wistfully as he blushed, “I've never been to the ballet. I never thought you'd take me anywhere let alone there, I'm . . . honored you'd ask.”
 
“Well, you know . . . it shouldn't be that much of a stretch, I mean, I do love you after all . . .”
 
“I could kiss you within an inch of your life right now, you know that?”
 
His grin widened to previously unknown proportions at the implication, “Yeah, I kind of figured that . . . should I take that as a yes?”
 
“Do you even have to ask?! Of course yes! Yes! I'll be on the next train out!”
 
“Winry, hold on, you don't have to leave right now, just be on the first train out tomorrow, we'll pick you up . . .” Ed said as he started to think more, “Um, you have a dress right? This is sort of something fancy I think, a premiere.”
 
“Oh . . . I don't think have anything . . .” she sounded deflated as she spoke, the excitement gone. Damn, why did he have to ask that? He wanted her to be happy, not despondent about sticking out in the city. “Uhhh, I'll think of something, even if I have to buy it,” Ed said as he thought fast, “I probably owe you a lot for spare parts, and since you and your grandmother refuse to tack on a profit to my automail, you deserve it. Besides, I don't even know what I'll wear yet.”
 
There was another low, thoughtful hum through the phone line, this one more pleasurable sounding as it raised the hair on the back of his neck. She was thinking of something. “Winry?” he asked nervously, “Do I want to even know?”
 
“Maybe, I was just imagining how you'd look in a tuxedo,” she giggled as he grumbled. Soon enough, the mental image popped up into his head as well, and he didn't like what he saw. Ed sighed in frustration, only turning her slight giggles into soft laughter, “I don't know about this. I'll look like a midget in a gorilla suit.”
 
Her laughter turned louder, hysterical. Realizing what he said, the young alchemist smacked his hand across his eyes, groaning, “One day, Winry! One day I'll be tall and I won't think like this! I swear! I'll even be taller than you!”
 
“Sure you will, and when it happens, you'll still go nuts when someone taller than you calls you short.”
 
“I do not have a height complex . . .”
 
“And pigs fly.”
 
Ed groaned again, giving in, “Fine, fine, still . . . if it's any consolation to this argument, no matter what you wear, you'll still look better than me.”
 
“I beg to differ. I bet your butt will look rather cute in a nice fitting tuxedo.”
 
His blush went all the way up his ears, turning bright red. He was cute? Or at least his posterior was cute? He didn't know whether to be flattered or insulted since it sure sounded like both. “Cute is for girls . . .” he grumbled as she giggled.
 
“Alright, then here's a better one. I think you'll look rather sexy all dressed up, mature even.”
 
The color of his face started to border on purple, “Geez, Winry, you know just how to make a guy feel all better.”
 
She laughed, and he smiled. As much as he could deny it all he wanted, he was still deeply flattered by her compliment, deeply. He almost forgot entirely of the whole aspect of impending assassination attempts hanging over him. “It is the truth you know. If I didn't find you the least bit appealing aesthetically, you'd be nothing more than an angry, guilt-ridden pip-squeak with an overconfidence problem,” she said, her tone sarcastic despite the harsh words before she added, “But we both know that's not true. You are far more than the sum of your deficits.”
 
There it was again, that feeling of being complimented and insulted at the same time, “How in the world do you do that?”
 
“Do what?”
 
“Tear me down and then built me up again. I don't get it.”
 
“Edward . . . I love you . . .” Winry said softly, as if those three words were the answer to each of his problems, “You are handsome, in your own way. When you do grow up, you'll be gorgeous, and you'll be all mine.”
 
He grinned, the blush having cooled down to a tinge of pink all over his face. Maybe those three words were the answer to some of his problems at least. “Thank you, I can't wait to see you all grown up either. I'm sure you'll be even more beautiful than you are already,” he said with a mental pat on his back for the honest compliment to her, “I love you too. I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
“Alright . . .” she said with a slight vacancy in her voice, sounding stunned, “Um, right, tomorrow, bye, Ed.”
 
“Bye, Winry.”
 
The phone line clicked as it was hung up, and he sighed, “Damn . . . damn, damn, damn.”
 
She was going to kill him, he just knew it. Slowly, he reached over and put the receiver back down on the telephone's base. It was too late now, and he felt torn between feeling like a fool and a coward for deceiving her. He really didn't deserve her love if he was using her like this. Was he using her, or was it the military? Maybe it was a bit of both in the end. Mustang ordered him and he followed, yet it was all for his safety. No where in that devil's bargain did it mention Winry's safety. Ed rolled on the bed to face away from the phone as he curled up. He missed her. He missed Al too. Something told him his brother would have made a good conscience right about now, telling him he was an idiot for getting their best friend involved. He was an idiot alright. Fate always seemed to find a way to mess with him, and he was giving that unknown force over his life a very big piece to mess with. Glowering darkly, he muttered to himself, “I know I don't believe in you, but God, if you really exist, don't let anything bad happen to her? Please?”
 
**********
 
Edward didn't emerge from the bedroom until it was about dinner time, dragging the phone behind him. Roy was at the table, writing again. It was probably a report about the day as he still had to write his. He couldn't see the Lieutenant, but upon hearing the steady knife falls hitting on wood in the kitchen, he knew she was cooking. The Colonel looked up as he placed the phone on the table, a question in his dark eyes. “It's done,” FullMetal muttered darkly, his voice only picking up a little as he continued, “She'll be here tomorrow morning.”
 
For once, Mustang didn't grin or smile, just nodded as he spoke, “Nothing will happen to her, Edward, I promise.”
 
“Like hell it won't, her safety isn't for you to promise over. Just worry about keeping me safe since she's the only other person besides my brother I'd give my life for . . . Don't think for a moment that I wouldn't do just that for her sake,” Ed said in a rare moment of clarity as he sat down. Roy looked into his eyes a moment and nodded, knowing that for once there was an agreement between them. Whether he said it out loud like Edward or not, he too had someone else that he applied the same ideal to. It was kind of ironic, or so the Colonel thought, that it took this situation and two different women for them to come to a truer understanding. Maybe Ed was growing up after all. Before either of them could say any more, Riza walked out of the kitchen juggling three bowls of ramen in her hands. She was dressed again, this time in a black turtleneck shirt and dark blue pants with her hair clipped up. Carefully, she set the food down, then came back with three cups, utensils, and a hot pot of tea before sitting down, “You two better be hungry, I think I made too much.”
 
“Don't worry, I think bottomless pit Elric can pack it all in.”
 
“Asshole.”
 
“Runt, you should eat more anyway, it'll help you grow.”
 
A flash of anger crossed Ed's amber eyes, an air of violence building around him. “Boys . . .” she threatened before it could blow up into another battle, frowning disapprovingly, “I swear the longer you both stay here, the more you both fight just to annoy me.”
 
Ed scowled and dug in, missing the grin on Roy's face. Riza didn't miss it as she kicked him under the table until he yelped. That was one thing the young alchemist didn't fail to notice with a snort of laughter, slurping his noodles. By the time they were all done eating, there were still lingering questions about the whole plan. He'd made it sound so simple earlier, but knowing the Colonel, there had to be things he wasn't telling them. Neither of them decided to ask, even when given an opening as he asked, “What time will she be here tomorrow?”
 
“Early, I told her to get on the first train out of Rizembool, so . . . early to mid morning maybe?”
 
“I'll get my car prepped to pick her up,” Riza said as she started to clear away the dishes. Edward nearly frowned at how easily she volunteered, part of him wanting to go too so he could talk to her without his pseudo-bodyguards present. Whether he intended it or not, she saw the disappointed look on his face and it brought a warm smile to hers, “I expect you both to get up early, we don't want to be late.”
 
That cheered him back up, and was even better as Roy grumbled in annoyance, “We still need to do some planning while she's here. I need to head home to get more clothes, FullMetal will need a tux, and the ladies will need gowns plus whatever else is attached with it. Riza . . .”
 
“I have something, but we may need to hire jewelry. My income isn't as lavish as your paychecks, Roy. Shouldn't we be worrying about the actual mission aside from the incidentals?”
 
“Maes is getting us maps of the building, and Havoc is working on getting any equipment we need, just need to fill out the forms. I suppose you'll have a list for the armory by tomorrow. The ballet hasn't been alerted since the less people knowing about this the better. No one in Headquarters knows of this plan outside of our department either. Everything's being cooked again just in case. Hell, I even had the tickets charged to me personally so it didn't look suspicious. We'll be using my funds for these incidentals too, so make wise investments on my part please, darling?”
 
“Winry will need a gown, and whatever else. I'll pay for it.”
 
Roy's eyebrows arched up in surprise, “You sure?”
 
“Yeah, I figure if you're making me drag her into this mess, I can at least spare her from falling victim to your taste in women's clothes as well.”
 
Riza snorted in laughter, covering her mouth with her hand to keep it from bursting out loud. The Colonel growled, turning towards her, “Make sure you take her to the most expensive dressmaker in town then, Lieutenant.”
 
“Yes, sir,” she answered with a slight edge of sarcasm on her reply. Ed smirked, knowing that was coming. He didn't mind it though. As long as Winry was happy, so was he. And yet, it brought up another question that lingered in the back of his mind, “Um, won't we need a hotel room for her? I . . . I don't mind giving up my bed if she has to stay here.”
 
The two adults looked at each other, silently asking the same question of the other with their eyes. Apparently in all their eagerness, that was one detail they'd forgotten. “Well . . . damn, that isn't going to work out too good . . .” Roy said, for once not thinking that far ahead.
 
As if struck with a bolt of lightning, Riza sat up straighter suddenly, “Oh . . . there's an idea . . .”
 
The alchemists looked at her curiously at first then skeptically as the grin on her face moved into viciously vindictive territory. She stood up suddenly, and headed for the door. Seeing his mistress stand, Black Hayate got up from around his empty dog bowl, and followed her, whining curiously. She smiled back at the men, her eyes dancing with mirth and malice, “Gentlemen, if you would, I'll require your assistance.”
 
“I don't like the sound of this . . .” Roy said as he slowly stood up. Ed nodded, and followed as well. She was too happy about this for some reason. It made them both apprehensive. “You know, for once we agree,” FullMetal muttered as he went out the door as well.
 
**********
 
In the end, Riza's plan for Winry's accommodations was actually quite beautiful. Who knew the old lady that was her neighbor kept such a nicely appointed apartment? It only needed too a few transmutations to hide the most obvious things such as photos, documents, and personal items. The most time consuming alchemy they did was figuring out a way to connect the Lieutenant's apartment to the other woman's so that it appeared natural. When they were finished, it looked like she had lived here all along in one big place. “Your neighbor is going to kill us if she arrives back early,” Roy said as he looked over the place, “Who was she again?”
 
“Some old busybody, you should be grateful. She's seen you sneaking around here, and didn't like you.”
 
“Yeah, what did she call him again, some shady fellow?” Ed asked ruefully as the Colonel glared at him, “We should have done this yesterday when she left, then maybe these cats wouldn't have scratched me.”
 
It was with no small amount of sadistic glee that he knelt down over the large wooden kennels built into the wall of the nearly empty side room. In each pen was a cat that glared back through narrow slits at him and Hayate as they cackled and yipped in victory over the feline beasts. The only one who didn't seem to take the confinement well was a large ginger one with white paws and ear tuffs that clawed out at them with a feral snarl that the teenager and the puppy ignored. Roy frowned at the antics of the two, still feeling the sting of claws on his arms where he had wrestled that one into its cage to begin with. “FullMetal, leave the cats alone, or else they'll probably gnaw their way out while we sleep just to find you, and filet you alive,” he said, looking at the creatures darkly himself, “You're just annoying enough that I'd do that to you too if I were a cat.”
 
Grumbling at his fun being ruined, Ed stuck his tongue out at his superior, blowing raspberries. It didn't improve the Colonel's mood as his grumbling got louder. Before he could think of retribution, Riza tugged him towards the new doorway back to her side of the apartment. “Come on, soldier, you need to be patched up. Edward, it's getting late. Stop teasing the cats and go to bed,” she said with a growing authority over them.
 
“Yes, Riza.”
 
“Yes, ma'am.”
 
With that, they left, leaving the puppy to stare at the locked up cats. It was quite curious. Without the human's around, they'd calmed down enough to only hiss slightly at him. Maybe it was only the two-legged ones they didn't like, or the one that smelled of metal. He didn't see why not. He liked the metal one, even the petting despite the cold, unyielding hand. The pup leaned closer towards the ginger cat, Fluffy if he remembered right, the one who'd scratched him a long time ago when he was smaller. She'd stopped hissing and clawing, and it made him curious as he moved closer. It was like she wanted him for something. Before he knew it, a sharp claw flashed out at him, trying to swipe across his nose.
 
Hayate back-peddled with a startled yelp, barely avoiding the slash. He barked twice and the cat spat at him. With a growl, his little puppy mind made a decision to break his training just this once. Mistress wouldn't be happy, but it was just once. Holding his nose up high, he turned and raised a hind leg, marking his territory right in front of the cats' cages. A series of pissed-off hisses and spats came from penned-up beasts, shaking the kennels in their fury. With a yip, he ran off back down the hall and back to familiar ground. He never did like cats anyway.
 
**********
 
To Be Continued in Of Ballet and Bullets, Part 8, Mr. & Mrs. Smith