Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Kaerimichi ❯ Getting to Know You ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I remember you.”
 
The two men's faces fell completely serious at Kou's words. She stared at them, her own features an amalgamation of nervousness and incredulous recognition.
 
Violet hair and effeminate beauty… “Nuriko,” she breathed. The other… Fangs and that weird mountain accent... “Tasuki…” Saihitei, emperor of Konan. “Hotohori. Oh, my God…” Kou sank in her seat, feeling as if someone had knocked the wind out of her. “They were just stories grandma read to me as a child… I never…” her words trailed off as she lost herself in thought.
 
“Shit,” Tasuki murmured. It hadn't been his imagination running away with him- she really was related to Miaka. The quiet curse seemed to jar Kou back to reality. She looked back up to the two warriors, her hazel eyes changing from confused to burning with resolve.
 
“What is going on here?!” she demanded as she sat forward. “I want an explanation!”
 
Nuriko shuddered at the girl's expression. Miaka, having been so gentle, only looked that way a handful of times. But when she had, it meant business. It may not have been Miaka sitting there in front of him, but in that very moment, it might as well have been.
 
“We know as much as you do about what's going on,” he offered quickly. Kou was obviously upset- who wouldn't be? - and the last thing anyone needed was Tasuki jumping the gun if he went on the defensive. “It's not much, and I'm sure that isn't the answer you wanted to hear, but we have no idea.”
 
The red-haired girl stood. “Then tell me what I need to do to find out.”
 
“You need to sit the hell down and wait.” Pink and hazel eyes turned to the flame-haired warrior. He had a look of obvious annoyance on his face and a sake bottle in his hand. For a flash, Nuriko wondered if his friend was going to throw it at the girl. Instead, Tasuki slid it across the table to her. “Have a drink. Chill out.”
 
Chill out?!” Corey yelled, upsetting her chair as she stood and slamming her hands down on the table. Another clatter rang out as Tasuki did the same.
 
“Yes, chill out! We saved your life! You feel that pain in your leg? That's letting ya know you ain't dead thanks to us, so how about a little gratitude?”
 
Kou gave a start; she didn't know what she could say to that. Her hands slid off the tabletop, and her posture relaxed. Nuriko glanced nervously between the two.
 
“Maa, never a dull moment,” he said, trying to alleviate some of the tension.
 
“Perhaps we've come at a bad time no da?”
 
All eyes turned at the emergence of a new voice. A wide, but slightly embarrassed smile greeted them. Kou looked the newcomer over; sky blue hair seemed to defy gravity the way it stood, and the kesa-clad man was lightly gripping a staff. A monk, perhaps?
 
Aah! Of course!
 
“Chichiri!” three sets of surprised voices chorused. The recently arrived seishi regarded Kou for a moment. Even though she couldn't see his eyes, she knew he was looking her right in her own. Unlike the previous times in which the others she'd met had stared, she was strangely at east with this one.
 
“You must be the girl Hotohori mentioned,” he said simply but curiously. “I hope Tasuki hasn't been causing you too much trouble no da. He can be a bit of a handful no da.”
 
“She started it!!” Tasuki yelled.
 
“You see what I mean?”
 
Kou couldn't help but smile even as Tasuki fumed behind her, the anger she'd felt moments ago gone.
 
“Chichiri,” Nuriko started as he glanced around, “where's Mitsukake?”
 
“Ah, he's waiting in the infirmary no da. I hope I won't be interrupting the festivities if I borrow our new friend for a bit?”
 
“Not at all,” Kou said immediately. “I think I'd like a change of company anyway,” she finished, casting a dirty look back at the flame-haired man.
 
“Great!” Chichiri exclaimed as if the little exchange between the girl and Tasuki had not even occurred. “Follow me no da. We don't want you to get lost. This place can be such a maze, na no da.”
 
Kou smiled quickly at Nuriko before turning to follow the monk out of the dining hall. After the door swung shut behind them, the girl realized she still hadn't eaten. “Chichiri? Can we have some snacks or something delivered to my room?”
 
“Of course no da,” he answered much to Corey's delight. A few silent moments passed. “May I ask you something?”
 
Kou stopped. His voice had changed; it was lower and no longer care-free. She held back a gasp when the warrior turned to her, the smile gone and a scar over one eye, the other at last visible. He had taken off the enchanted mask.
 
“Yes…” she replied slowly.
 
“We have never met before. How did you recognize me?”
 
Kou had known the question would come up sooner or later, but she didn't think it would be so soon. She fidgeted a little, shifting in place. It was going to sound outrageous no matter how she put it, so there was no point in trying to sugar-coat the answer.
 
“My grandmother told me all about you guys.”
 
“Miaka?”
 
“…Yes,” Kou admitted after a slight hesitation.
 
“You have her eyes,” Chichiri remarked, and the red-haired girl smiled, albeit with the slightest bit of exasperation.
 
“So I've heard from every person who's ever met her.” Another silent moment passed. “I never thought her stories were real. She never tried to convince me they were, either. Why didn't she tell me it was all true?”
 
As if anticipating the question, Chichiri answered with one of his own immediately. “Would you have believed it?”
 
Kou contemplated it for a few seconds. “No,” she finally said.
 
“That is why.” The blue-haired seishi reset his mask in place, signaling the end of their conversation. “Let's go. We don't want to keep Mistukake waiting no da.”
 
 
 
The trip back to the hospital wing went quickly and quietly. Corey found herself both gratefully surprised and surprisingly disappointed that Chichiri didn't ask anymore questions on the way. A part of her wanted to talk, to start figuring things out, but the other part dreaded it for what she might discover.
 
Entering her room, Kou was greeted by the sight of an older man with a small cat on his shoulder chatting with the younger boy she had seen with Tasuki, Nuriko and Hotohori just earlier that day. The elder was surely Mitsukake, but she still couldn't quite place the other.
 
They both looked up from their conversation as Kou and Chichiri walked in. “Chichiri!” the younger boy exclaimed, stepping toward the monk.
 
“Chiriko, you're looking very well no da,” he replied as he discreetly led the way out. “Tell me, how are things at…” As the voices dissipated, Kou could only stare.
 
That was Chiriko?!” she said in disbelief. “I didn't even recognize him. He's all… grown up!”
 
“I know the feeling.” That deep voice pulled the redhead's attention back to the healer sitting beside her bed. There was such fondness in his tone and his eyes that, if she hadn't known better, Kou would have been certain Chiriko was this man's son. “Well,” Mistukake continued as he shifted his chair, “let's take a look at that leg.”
 
Sighing softly, Kou slid onto the mattress with her legs extended in front of her. Mitsukake set to work removing the bandage with more care and gentleness than she ever would have expected from a weathered forty year-old physician. Hazel eyes narrowed in disgust as the wound became visible. It was a jagged, dark red gash surrounded by furious purple and blue bruises, the outer edges of which had begun to turn a sallow green. It stood out, ugly and bold against the perfect skin surrounding it. Alex surely would have fainted at the sight. Kou usually had an iron stomach, but even she was a little grossed out.
 
“I've seen worse,” the healer spoke with a little smile. “At least it isn't infected. You'll be just fine.” Holding his hand just above the wound, a faint green light emanated from the crimson symbol Corey couldn't see, but knew was there. Mere seconds passed before the glow vanished and Mitsukake pulled his hand back to his side. Regarding her leg, Kou was amazed to see the skin where she had been stabbed as good as new. There wasn't even a scar.
 
“Thank you so much,” she said, still a little awe-stricken. Mistukake smiled again.
 
“If you truly appreciate all of this, perhaps you would consider speaking with his highness. He wants to help you. We all do.”
 
Corey was speechless. She remembered her grandmother telling her how kind the Suzaku shichiseishi were, but she hadn't thought that they would be so understanding. It made her feel terribly selfish. After all, they were just as mixed up as she was. It wasn't fair that she think only of herself.
 
“I will,” she replied with a nod.
 
Mitsukake seemed pleased with her answer and stood to leave just as one of the servants knocked and entered with her food.
 
 
 
“Shit, shit, shit, shit!” Alex screamed. After Corey had vanished, he'd searched the entire house for any sign of her in vain. He had just returned to her room where the ancient leather-bound book sat serenely on the bed, mocking him. “Where is she?!” he cried, snatching the volume up. In his panic, he thought to burn the tome and force it to flush her out.
 
`It's just a book,' he thought, trying frantically to calm down. `It's just a freak evil book that kidnapped my best friend! But if I destroy it, I might never get her back.' That last thought sobered the boy a little, and he sank weakly onto Corey's bed. “There has to be something I can do…” he lamented aloud even as despair began to settle.
 
Alex had known the redheaded girl his whole life, as his parents had been friends with hers. It felt like losing a sister, but knowing that she was out there somewhere. Or, rather, that she was in the book somewhere…
 
He closed his eyes in concentration, trying to recall everything Kou had ever told him about her visits to her grandparents. The book that he held in his hands was the very same one Miaka and Taka would have read from, so maybe it could provide at least some insight as to what the hell was happening.
 
But… if Miaka and Yui, and now Corey had been taken, would he be at risk? He had to think… Wait! He remembered when he was about five years old, hearing the summary of the chapter Corey had just been told. It had something to do with her great-uncle Keisuke reading the book while Miaka was in it. If all of this was true- he felt insane for considering that- then maybe the book didn't take boys…
 
Alex resolved himself. Whether it sucked him in or not, he had to get Corey back. He opened the front cover, bracing for a light to swallow him up that never came. After a few moments, when he decided it was safe, he began to read.
 
“Story of a girl… made all her dreams come true… Come on, gimme the good stuff,” he murmured, flipping a few pages until something caught his eye. “Priestess of Suzaku… All right, Miaka, tell me what the hell is going on.”
 
 
 
The morning greeted Kou with the music of songbirds and gentle sunlight dancing through the windows. It was so peaceful not being jerked from sleep by harsh alarm clocks or a blaring television. She lay restfully in her comfortable bed until breakfast was delivered, deciding that afterward, she would find Hotohori and start talking things over. She would have to look for Tasuki as well so she could apologize. It wasn't as if she weren't grateful for him saving her life- twice, even- but something about the fanged man just pushed her buttons.
 
Contentedly full on rice, milk, and the most delicious fish she'd ever had, Kou finally got out of bed. The overnight bag Alex and Jessica had packed was still in her room. While the silk robes she'd been provided were exquisite, she would be happy to be in her own clothing again.
 
Opening the pack, Kou was surprised to find the outfit she'd arrived in sitting on top, cleaned and folded. They'd even managed to get the blood stain out of her skirt. A smile rose to her face as she slid the garments on, delighted to also find a small bag of ponytail holders and a small string of beads that had almost gone unnoticed. Kou's heart gave a throb at the sight of the friendship bracelet. She and Alex had made them for one another over a decade ago, and still wore them to this day despite that it was a little obvious they were made by six year-olds. Fastening the bracelet over her wrist, Kou set out for the grounds to begin her search.
 
Outside, the sun shone brilliantly. A gentle breeze carried the sweet sound of Chiriko's leaf flute and invited the trees and grass to sway and dance with the music. Corey strolled along, taking in the beauty and serenity of it all, her good mood accentuated by the lack of pain in her leg.
 
Stepping off the veranda into the soft grass, she decided that, when she moved out of Jessica's, she was buying a house in the country. It was strange, how at-home Corey felt here, as if she'd always belonged. As she followed the outlay of the grounds, a familiar figure came into sight.
 
“Nuriko!” she called out, hurrying toward him.
 
Pink eyes glittered jovially in the sunlight as the warrior turned. “Good morning,” he chirped back. “You seem to be feeling better,” he added, regarding the redhead's smile as she caught up to him. Kou kicked up her right leg.
 
“Good as new.”
 
“Luck, lucky,” Nuriko chuckled. “I was starting to wonder if your leg was just going to fall off.”
 
“Hey!” Kou cried with mock indignity, and the warrior laughed again. He wagged a finger at the girl.
 
“Don't feel bad. If I didn't like you, I'd treat you better.”
 
Corey laughed this time. “Is that how it works? Then Tasuki must love me.”
 
“He's a good guy,” Nuriko said fondly. “Give him time. He'll come around.”
 
Kou fell silent, chewing over the seishi's words. If she remembered correctly, Tasuki had been a lot of trouble for her grandmother, too, at first. “All right,” she answered after a while. “I'll give him another chance.” As the pair rounded a corner, the red-haired girl could see the emperor on the other side of the grounds, walking with Chichiri. “I have to go,” she said hurriedly, starting away from Nuriko. “If you see Tasuki, please tell him I'm sorry about last night.” Without giving the warrior time to respond, she took off running toward the pair across the way. “Hotohori!”
 
The raven-haired man turned at the sound of his name, his expression one of pleasant surprise as the redhead jogged nearer. A stray rock caught the girl's foot, sending her sprawling onto the grass.
 
“Kou!” the emperor called, rushing worriedly to her side. “Are you all right?”
 
Corey looked up sheepishly, an embarrassed smile on her face. “I'm fine,” she answered as Hotohori helped her to her feet. “I'm just such a klutz sometimes.” She brushed herself off, picking a few blades of grass out of her skirt. “I… I want to apologize for the last couple of days-“ Hotohori held up a hand to silence her.
 
“It is unnecessary. Take as much time as you need.”
 
Kou smiled again. How could a person be so kind and understanding with a complete stranger? `My world could use more guys like him,' she thought fleetingly. “Thanks, but it's okay. I'm ready to talk.”
 
Hotohori considered her words for a moment, and then nodded. “Very well. Chichiri,” he called back to the monk still standing on the balcony, “gather the others. We will meet in the conference hall. Unless,” he paused, turning back to the other-worlder, “you wish to speak in private?”
 
“No,” Corey answered with a shake of her head. “I think it would be easier having everyone there. They're all going to hear about it anyway, and hearing it first hand would eliminate misinformation and rumors.”
 
Hotohori smiled, the expression making Kou's heart beat a little faster. “A wise decision,” he complimented, gesturing the way back inside with a sweep of his arm.
 
They walked in silence; the only sound to be heard was their footsteps resonating in the wide, empty corridor. Just minutes ago, Corey had felt confidently resolved in her choice, but now there were butterflies in her stomach. She stopped.
 
“Hotohori?”
 
The emperor halted as well, turning to face her. “Yes?” Kou shifted in place, scuffing the toe of her shoe on the floor.
 
“Do… you think I'll ever get home?”
 
“I have no doubt,” he answered gently, reassuringly, and without missing a beat. Comforted by those words, the red-haired girl smiled and hurried back to the warrior's side. Everything would be okay… They entered the conference hall, the other five warriors, as well as Houki, already seated and waiting. Hotohori took his place at the head of the table as Kou settled into the chair at the foot so she could see everyone at once.
 
“I guess,” she said after a few moments, “that we should start at the beginning.”
 
tbc…
 
Author's Note: Sorry to my few readers who have been waiting for an update. I've been posting this story on ff.net, and I tend to forget I have this account as well. Chapters 5, 6, and 7 are complete, and I'll be posting them presently.
 
On a side note, it doesn't look like this story is going to end any time soon. I hope you guys are in for a long haul… ^^;