Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ My Angel ❯ Be Careful What You say, You Never Know Who's Listening ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: well well well… I seem to have acquired a few new fans since last time I last updated…very cool. ^-^ Yes…on to the stupid disclaimer I always need to put: I don't own Fushigi Yuugi but I do own Mirai. And on to the story…

We sat together, on the grass, me cross-legged, with my back against a wooden support joint that hadn't been destroyed when my home had, Mirai held gently in my arms, her head resting softly on my chest, both of us lost in thought. For awhile, we stayed like that, just enjoying the closeness of each other and the relative peace that came with that closeness. Finally, with a sigh of regret I broke the silence.

"Mirai?" I said quietly.

She looked up at me. "Hmm?"

"Remember when I said that we'd have to find you some place to stay?" I started carefully.

She nodded warily.

I took a deep breath. "Well, we're going to have to work on finding you some place to stay." I told her.

"Stay with Houjun-san." the girl said firmly.

"Mirai, you have to be a big girl and let me find you somewhere to live." I said gently "I can't take care of you properly."

"Can so!" she protested, eyes pleading and defiant at the same time. "See?" she showed me the sling I'd made for her arm.

I shook my head, placing Mirai on the ground and knelt in front of her. "That's not what I mean Mirai. I don't have a house for you to live in; I don't have water or food. All I have left in this world is this." I gestured to the ruins of my home "And whatever mushrooms and berries I can find."

"Doesn't matter." she insisted stubbornly "Stay with Houjun-san!"

"You can't!" I told her, starting to get frustrated. Why was she making this more difficult than it already was?

"Why?" she demanded jumping to her feet, tears starting in her blue eyes.

"I just told you why!" I answered impatiently, "I can't take care of you properly!"

"B-but…" she stammered, tears starting to tumble down her cheeks "Th-this all I got." She spread her arms apart, wincing as her broken arm was moved but still looking me squarely in the eyes. "This n' this only." she whispered, putting a small hand on my cheek.

I sighed in frustration. "Mirai, I know I'm all you've got right now!" I cried, jumping to my feet. This was too much for me! How could I be so important to this one little girl? Why did she fight so hard just to stay with me? Who was I to anybody? "I can't take care of you! I just can't!" I yelled, desperately trying to make her understand "Look at me! I can't even take care of myself!" Tears started to sting the corners of my eyes as the pain I knew I was causing Mirai cut through me like a knife. "You can't stay with me!" I shouted "You can't because I'm a horrible, evil man who shouldn't be allowed to live and you deserve better!"

Mirai's eyes widened and her mouth opened to argue back. She looked at me with such pain and regret in her green eyes that my heart broke. She closed her mouth firmly, hands falling to her sides, and nodded slowly. " 'kay." she whispered, voice barely audible. She put a hand to my cheek and gave me a quick kiss before she turned on her heel and ran from me, tears streaming down her face.

A/N: and so it ends for now because I am tired and because I'm out of ideas and because I wanna be evil. I'll post the conclusion real soon I promise. No weird words today. But a note for Flighting dreams: Mirai is four. She's just smarter than she looks because she's been on her own for awhile. I'll explain more later and about Chichiri's magic, I'm not sure if he could use before or not. I just wanted him to be able to so he could save Mirai. Yes I hope I answered questions. See you next chappy.

~Tenshi Kitsune~