Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Nemesis ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter one:
 
Lee cursed as she raced down the stairs a piece of toast between her teeth .She was late. It was all that silly alarm clocks fault anyway. If only it wasn't broken. Her long copper brown hair swung behind her tied in a long high ponytail secured by a red ribbon .Her crisp pleated skirt ended midway on her thigh revealing a pair of long slender legs. She hurriedly swung her tiny backpack over her shoulders and rushed out of the house. She was a sixteen year old with a smiling disposition .Her large eyes were hemmed in by a forest of dark lashes and her soft pink lips usually always held a smile. She skipped down the pavement avoiding passersby dexterously...a result of long practice. She soon came in sight of her best friend waiting for her in front of her house.
 
Yang was waiting for her as usual wearing a long-suffering smile. She was only a bit taller than Lee with hair like spun gold that fell carelessly over her slim shoulders. Her eyes were green in colour like the calmn waters of a lake. Lee skidded into a halt in front of her.
 
"Sorry Yang...That damn alarm clock betrayed me!" she panted a little out of breath.
 
"How can the alarm clock betray you since you told me yesterday that you trashed it accidentally?!”Yang smiled.
 
"Oh... he..he..!" Lee grinned sheepishly.
 
"Anyway we should start moving." Yang smiled at her best friends discomfort.
 
"I seriously don't understand why you had to drag me out of bed to go the library..." Lee grumbled, " I mean...come on ,this is not even a school day.... Don't you want to laze off for a little while? "
 
"Of course I do.” Yang assured her "I just want to find a little more material on my history assignment.”
 
Lee groaned” Still its Saturday...Couldn't we just go to the mall and do stuff like normal teenagers!"
 
Yang smiled " As tempting that may sound, might I remind you, that we are soon to graduate. That means that we need to have good grades if we ever want to go to a college of our choice! "
 
" Yes mother " Lee sighed in resignation "I know that ."
 
"Of course once we are finished at the library we can still go to the mall and see a movie maybe !" Yang grinned "I just got my allowance .All this money is burning a hole in my pocket!"
 
Lee enveloped Yang in a bone-crushing hug "You rock Yang!"
 
Yang tried to detach herself slightly blue in the face "I know!"
 
They walked slowly towards the library .Lee skipped happily occasionally gawking at the various wares displayed on the display of the various shops. Yang walked at a more sedate pace, her laptop held in the crook of her arm. Suddenly Lee came to a halt, her eyes quite dreamy as she studied the handsome profile of a famous Hollywood star displayed on a large billboard.
 
"Isn't he just dreamy Yang?" Lee 's voice was that of absolute adoration.
 
"He is forty years old, has two wives and legally six children!" Yang's dry voice poured a bucket of ice-cold water on the flames of Lee's hot passion!
 
Lee frowned " You are so unromantic Yang!"
 
"I am not unromantic." Yang argued " Just practical."
 
"But love is not practical Yang.” Lee sighed dreamily” It just happens!"
 
There were stars in Lee's eyes " Oh Yang don't you think it would be great if we had an adventure like our grandmothers!"
 
Yang snorted "Bullshit! You truly cannot believe in those ridiculous stories your granny Miaka tells us! Granted the stories are so cool...and my granny Yui just keeps adding details...I still consider them as they truly are ...a story!"
 
"You mean you really don't believe that our grandmothers were indeed transported to another world...'The World Of The Four Gods '"Lee frowned.
 
"Gods Lee,” Yang chuckled " I am sixteen years old...You cannot possibly expect me to believe in that old fairytale!"
 
"Then what about the single black pearl your granny wears? Where did she get that?" Lee argued.
 
Yang was silent.
 
" Hah!" Lee exclaimed triumphantly "If only we could find that book !" ,her eyes were starry,” That would be soo super cool ! And maybe some handsome Prince would sweep me off my feet !" She sighed heavily again.
 
"Come on Lee" Yang ascended up the stairs to the library "You can contemplate on your outlandish romance later !"
Yang walked through the long aisle between the bookshelves sifting through the heavy books, and pulling one or two out if it caught her fancy. Lee walked behind her, a look of abject boredom on her pretty face, yawning occasionally. Suddenly, she felt a warm breeze on her neck. Startled she whirled around. Something seemed to vanish around the corner... Lee pulled Yang's sleeves …
 
" Did you see that?"
 
"What?" Yang asked irritated.
 
"I think somebody is stalking us!” Lee whispered.
 
"Right " Yang snorted contemptuously, turning back to inspect the books.
 
Lee chewed her lips. Perhaps she was seeing things. And then she saw it again...It was as if time froze...It was only her ...A bird emerged swooping down on her in a shower of red and gold and warmth...circling her with its fiery wings .........before disappearing around the corner...
 
For a while Lee stood frozen...and then she pulled Yang's sleeve rather hard.
 
"Please tell me you saw that!"
 
"Now what?"Yang asked.
 
"That" Lee pulled Yang in the direction the bird had disappeared.
 
"Lee ...what are you doing? "Yang panted as Lee came to a halt in front of a closed door.
 
Lee didn't answer .She did not know what she was doing either...There was something on the other side of this door.... something that pulled her very soul...She put out a nervous hand and touched the cold wood.... The door opened her touch.... it was unlocked...a warm glow beckoned her inside....
 
"Lee we...should probably head back now..." Yang cleared her throat nervously.
 
Lee eased the door further open...The room was dimly lit, stacked with old books.... fully of that odd musty scent that came from old tomes...A very old yellowing book lay in the middle of the room ...bound in red leather.... glowing slightly...
 
Yang squinted her eyes to make out the title of the book written in delicate gold letters.... Shi Jin Ten Chi Sho.... The Book of The Four Gods Sky and Earth...
 
Something clicked in Yang's mind."No Lee "she yelled " don't touch the book...!"...
 
But Lee had already bend over the book...A bright red light enveloped them.... thursting them in merciful oblivion...
 
OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO
 
Please review !