Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Only In My Heart ❯ Reflections ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer:: see previous chapters.

Chapter Four "Reflections"

Jenna arrived at the Cape May, NJ airport unscathed, except for the major headache she received from the rowdy guys she had to take the limousine and plane ride with.

The guys were drunk when they got into the limo and continued to drink until stepping off the plane. And now she had to ride to Townbank with them too. Thank the gods it would be short ride.

She sat in the front of seat of the limo, the driver, Marcus suggested this to her since her companions were a little obnoxious. She was a little appalled by their actions considering they worked for Xiang-Sei Corporation, her fathers company. Not one of these guys looked like they could pour piss out of boot nevertheless be into writing computer software or function in the business world.

The only thing they had going for them was that they were a nice looking bunch of guys. If they weren't drunk perhaps she would have talked to them but being slightly on the shy side, their drunkenness overwhelmed her. Especially the wild red head, he was a loud mouth fool, she thought.

The one with the black hair and mullet winked at her a couple times, making her blush. He tried to be friendly and asked who she was. She told him she was a friend of the family. She didn't want anyone knowing she was related to Xiang.

They probably wouldn't believe her anyway since she had more of her mother's looks. When she was sent to America after her mother died, her aunt insisted they change her name. So, she chose her grandmother's name, Jenna McCoy.

The other guy that was with them looked more like a boy but made a point of telling her he was eighteen. She thought he was the most intelligent of the bunch, although he only spoke briefly to her. He wasn't as rowdy as the other two and only frequently partook of the bottles they passed around.

She glanced out the window and thought about Korin. Why couldn't she be as charismatic as her. `I'm so boring.' She thought. `I'll have to try to have some fun while on vacation.'

They passed the Cape May/Lewes ferry station. She looked out at the reeds that grew along the road to the landing. She had forgotten how beautiful it was here. She made a mental note to be sure to take a ride across the bay to Lewes for some shopping so she could find something special for Korin.

Once they were on Townbank Road, she could see the guest house in the distance. It sat along the side of the road, not technically on the beach although it did have it's own staircase leading down to it. The main house was on the other side of the road, not much larger but with more amenities like a tub instead of the outdoor shower. `That would be a real plus right now.' Jenna thought.

As the car drew closer, she could see the unique design of the house. She grinned as she thought it resembled a big tube of lipstick. The building was round with a roof that slanted towards the beach. She couldn't see from this angle but she remembered it having windows below the roof line, on either side of the house, where you could look through the front window and see the sky out the back.

Aunt Betty had told her that her mother designed the house and her father had it built for them. It was their special getaway when they wanted to get away from work and the mundane tasks of living in China.

Jenna sighed. `I haven't been to this house in almost seven years.' Then she had gotten to meet her father's third wife and her two half sisters that she had never met before. Her older brother from her father's first marriage was also there. This was the first time she'd seen her father or brother in eight years. It was a very difficult reunion, she had always felt unloved, and that she was not part of their family.

Since that time, her brother called monthly and visited her whenever he came to the states. He took great care to show her his love for her and they became good friends, unlike her relationship with her father.

She knew her father took care of her monetary needs, financing her schooling and making sure her apartment was paid for. And he never asked for anything in return.

Then one day he called to tell her he had arranged for her to marry his business partners son. She was appalled that arranged marriages still existed and she refused to accept it. He was angry and had threatened to cut off his support of her but after months of trying to convince her of the benefits, he suddenly changed his mind.

The driver calling her name snapped her out of her thoughts. "Miss McCoy, we're here. Do you need help with your luggage?"

Jenna looked out at the house. Yup, just like she remembered. "No, I can take care of it. Thank you." She opened the door not waiting for Marcus to come open it. She stood staring down at the beach, she couldn't wait to run her feet through the sand and smell the ocean. She grinned at herself and thought. `You're on the bay, dummy and it smells like dead fish. But oh, what a wonderful smell.' She hugged herself, smiling.

Marcus handed her the suitcase and she nearly ran up the steps to the front door. Opening it, she saw that her father had sent someone ahead to put fresh lotus blossoms in vases along the table near the entrance, just like her mother always did. She smiled remembering how beautiful her mother was with her long brown hair blowing in the breeze as she walked along the beach.

"Excuse me?" Jenna turned around to see the young man standing in the doorway.

"Yes?" Jenna looked down at him, not realizing before that he was shorter than her. Of course at 5' 10" most men were shorter than her, she reminded herself.

"Um, you left your purse in the back seat. I just wanted to return it to you." The guy looked down at his feet as he held the purse out to her.

"Thank you. What did you say your name was?" Jenna took the purse from him and smiled.

The young man bowed to her. "My name is Ou Doukun but my friends call me Chiriko, so can you."

"Well it's very nice to meet you Chiriko. How long will you be staying?"

Chiriko started to blush. "I'll be staying for one week. Then I have to get back to China, I'm in university. How long will you be staying?"

Jenna looked quizzically at him. "Don't you work for Xiang-Sei Corporation? I thought all you guys did."

Chiriko gave a slight laugh. "No, Ku Shun'u, the red haired man, he works for Xiang-Sei. So Kichiku and me are just visiting for a week. We both are in university at home."

"Oh, well that's nice." They stared at each other in silence for a moment, Jenna had a vague feeling as if she had met him somewhere before. She broke the silence. "Well, I want to get unpacked and take a walk. It was really nice meeting you and thank you again for bringing me my purse."

She began to escort him out the door when he turned around. "Excuse me, Miss Jenna. I don't mean to be so bold but would you like to come over and have dinner with us?"

Jenna was taken aback by his question and quickly tried to think of some way to gentle tell him no without hurting his feelings. "I'm sorry. I already have plans for tonight. But thanks for asking."

The look of disappointment on the man's face was noticeable and she felt guilty lying to him. "Well that's okay. Maybe another time then." He bowed and turned, going down the steps and across the street to the main house.

Jenna closed the door and leaned against it sighed. `Why me?' She thought. Standing up straight, she looked around the first floor of the house. `Just as I remember.' She thought.

Skylights split the ceiling across the center from east to west so the sun always shone down onto the lower floor. The first floor was completely open so that standing at the front door one could view the entire area.

The only way to identify each section was by its furnishings. Off to the right side was a library of sorts complete with built in bookshelves that lined one wall with a small desk and computer. To the left was a music room that also had built in shelves that housed a stereo system, albums and CD's. There was also an antique sofa and matching chairs that faced the entertainment center.

The back of the house that faced the beach contained a very large kitchen with built in cabinets and appliances and a family room complete with a large entertainment center and big screen TV.

Jenna took note that the furnishings in the family room had changed since the last time she was here and she slowly made her way towards the area.

There was a large cream colored sectional sofa that just looked to tempting. She sat her suitcase down on the floor then layed down feeling its comfort. She fell asleep almost instantly and began dreaming.

*****************************************************

Jenna realized she was dreaming and it was the same as the last one. She was standing at the door to her husband's chamber, staring at the guards who hung their heads low. She thought to herself, `I have to find out if Korin is the girl in the photograph.'

She opens the door and slowly walks in. One of the attendants walk to her, she brushes his outstretched hands away and walks to the bed. Tears stream down her face as she stares at her husband's ashen face.

`This is just a dream.' She tells herself as she kneels down beside the bed and reaches for his hands. Standing up she has the photograph in her hands and looks down at it, thinking, please don't let the girl be Korin.

*************************************************************

"Oh my god!" Jenna woke up with a start. The room was dark and for a moment she wasn't sure if she were awake or still in the dream. She put her hands to her face, it was wet with tears. She banged her hands on her temples. `Damn it! Remember!" Try as she may, she could not remember who was in the photograph nor what made her cry out waking herself.

***********************************************

A/N:: I apologize if this sounded a little boring, I was trying to give details of Jenna's present life.