Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Next Act in a Mysterious Play ❯ Four Gods, Eight Warriors, and Lots of Stress ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]
*Thump*

"Ow," Katsura grumbled after she landed butt-first on the hard forest floor.

"Katsura!"

The priestess turned just in time to see herself engulfed in Hotohori's arms. He was obviously shaken by her dissapearance because he was slightly trembling as he held her tight.

"Don't ever do that again!" he commanded as he pulled back.

Suddenly Mahome popped up beside them and started tapping the prince on the head.

"As I mentioned before, papa, I don't think she did that intentionally."

Hotohori turned to the girl with an exasperated look, "Will you please stop calling me that!"

"No problem, pops," the little oni smirked. "So Kat, what happened? We heard you scream and then saw you and the tree disappear in that light. What was that?"

"I went back to my world. But you're right. I didn't do it on purpose. Some sort of black fog with eyes showed up from out of nowhere and told me to leave. The next thing I knew, I was in back in my world, holding onto a huge tree."

"That's so cool!"

Kat just smiled, 'It wasn't at the time.'

"This fog did not harm you did it?" Hotohori asked.

"Of course I didn't harm her. I'm not about to make the same mistake I did with her grandmother now am I?"

The three travelers quickly turned and Hotohori drew his sword. Eyes wide, Katsura pointed.

"It's that fog thingie! That's what sent me back."

Hearing this, Hotohori charged toward the fog and attempted to slice it in two. But, before anything could happen, the world seemed to blink. In an instant Hotohori, Katsura, and Mahome found themselves no longer in the forest but at a beautiful glowing mountain temple next to a waterfall. Large glowing orbs were floating all around.

"Mount Taikyoku!" Katsura recognized the place immediately.

"Yes. Now will you please get that sword away from my head?"

Katsura saw that Hotohori was inches away from slicing through the head of a particularly ugly old floating woman. When Hotohori saw the woman's face, he quickly screamed like a girl and ran back to Kat and Mahome.

"Now you're really on my shit list buster," the woman scowled. "And you might think before you act. I mention that I knew the priestess's grandmother and yet you decide to attack me. It is dangerous enough to have Mahome go with gut instinct. Do not add to things, Hotohori."

"We're sorry, Taitsukun," Kat bowed her head sheepishly.

"That's her?" Mahome gasped. "That shriveled old hag?!"

Taitsukun shot her a death glare, "Watch it, shorty. I can squish you like a bug."

"You don't scare m..."

"Yes she does," Katsura muffled the little oni. "She scares she very much and that fear has nothing to do with her face."

"Well at least you have more sense than your grandmother, priestess," Taitsukun arched an eyebrow. "But you are certainly just as stubborn."

"Thank you."

"That wasn't a compliment! Stubbornness can lead to disaster as well as good. You must learn where to draw the line. In this case it paid off. We had to see if you were dedicated enough for this mission that you would come back."

"I'm completely dedicated to raising Suzaku," Katsura declared with vigor. "And who's 'we'?"

Taitsukun gave a low laugh, "You job will not be as simple as raising Suzaku. 'We' are me, of course, and the four gods that you will have to raise."

Everyone's eyes bugged out of their heads.

"FOUR!?"

"What are you talking about?" Katsura gaped.

Taitsukun took a deep breath before speaking, "Your are not the priestess of Suzaku. That role has already been fulfilled, as have the other individual priestess roles. You are the Priestess of Four, the priestess of a united China."

There was a long pause before Katsura managed to regain her thoughts and speak.

"All of China. You mean I'm the savior of a country that will one day have a population of over one billion?!"

"Boy, that's a lot," Hotohori whispered to Mahome.

"Just how do you expect me to do this?" Katsura continued in a loud and frantic voice. "And another thing. My grandmothers had a hard enough time surviving their mating with and devouring by just one god! How am I supposed to survive four?!"

By the time she was done, Katsura was almost doubled over trying to catch her breath.

"Are you finished now?" Taitsukun seemed unfazed by the girl's ranting.

"Well, if I'm not now, I definitely will be finished when I'm done with this task you're giving me."

Hotohori came over to help support Katsura.

"You mean, you'll still do it?"

"Of course. What choice do I have anyway? If the four gods of heaven chose me, I sure as hell am not going to tell them otherwise."

"Good," Taitsukun quipped. "Now, follow me and I shall explain the rest."

Hotohori and Katsura followed silently into the temple with Mahome bounded after them energetically. Once inside a cute little green-haired girl popped out and started talking a mile a minute.

"Hi. I Nyan-nyan. Oh, you're Miaka's granddaughter. I knew her well. You don't look like her. Pleased to meet you. You make good priestess like Miaka. Watch out Taitsukun's ugly face. Aagh!"

Taitsukun had taken the liberty of whacking Nyan-nyan out the window.

"Don't worry. She'll be fine," she assured the horrified onlookers. "Now, as I was saying, you will have to raise all four of the beast gods, Katsura."

Everyone took this as a sign to sit and get comfortable. So the three mortals sat on some cushions and listened closely as Taitsukun continued.

"You all thought that Katsura had been brought here to raise Suzaku and bring peace to the land. That was only partly correct. You are to bring peace, Katsura, but not only for Konan. The beast gods all want their lands to be peaceful and happy. But they now see that they cannot rely on the people to do this alone. Byakko, Genbu, and Sieryu, as well as Suzaku, must all be raised to so that they can unite the lands. As the priestess, you represent the united link between them."

Katsura was excited by everything, but she was also starting to get nervous again. Mahome noticed Kat's hands trembling slightly and put her own hand on top to calm Kat.

"So how do I do this?" Katsura voice the obvious question. "Do I have to find seven warriors for each beast god? That will take too much time."

"You will not have to worry about that," Taitsukun put up a reassuring hand. "You have already found all of the Suzaku warriors you need."

"Hungh? There are only two?"

"Yes. There are two warriors for each god, though I do not know which two were chosen for each. Obviously Suzaku chose Hotohori and Tamahome's powers to be reborn. But you will also need more than just your warriors. You will need a shinzaho for each god. As the granddaughter of both the priestess of Suzaku and the priestess of Sieryu, you can act as a shinzaho for both of those gods. Finding the ones for Genbu and Byakko will be more difficult. They disappeared when Yui summoned Sieryu."

"Oh goody."

"When you have retrieved everything, you must come back here."

"Do you have anything that could help me find the other six warriors?"

Suddenly Nyan-nyan reappeared in front of Kat holding a small silver mirror.

"This show you warrior close by! Very useful. Keep with you. No break or bad luck for rest of life."

"The rest of my life? You people are trying to make this more difficult for me!" Katsura whined.

"Could be worse!"

"It probably will be," Kat retorted as everyone stood up.

"But we will handle it together," Hotohori spoke up.

"Yea. Nothing to worry about with us around," Mahome added.

Katsura looked at her new friends and smiled. Everything would be ok.
***

Hope you guys like the new chapter. I know it's short, but I had to cram a lot of info in there. Now that the scene has been set, the story can get into the more fun stuff. I'm not sure when I'll get the next chapter up since I want to start writing a bunch of one-shots that popped in my brain recently. So keep a look out for those and the next chapter. And please review. Thanks. ^_^
Converting /tmp/php3hHa4i to /dev/stdout