G Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ The Third Law ❯ On The Way Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Third Law
On The Way Home
 
The ride back to the city was long and quiet, too quiet. Rain didn't realize how far Andrew had taken her out of the city, and more importantly how far Domon had to come in order to save her.
 
`Domon,' Rain's thoughts began to travel.
 
"Don't hurt her. Save Rain," Domon had desperately shouted.
 
Rain still couldn't believe what Domon had done. `Did he really offer his Gundam head…for me,' she questioned. Rain looked up at the man driving the Corelander in front of her. `What does this mean?'
 
Rain was so lost in her own confusing thoughts that she never noticed that they had entered the city and had already arrived at their gloomy destination. It was the abrupt stop of the Corelander that had finally knocked her back into reality.
 
Domon, who was never one to waste time, immediately jumped out and started to gather various items to hide the blue vehicle under. Rain sighed, still unable to resolve her troubled questioning mind, and started to climb out of the mechanical contraption. However Andrew's punch to her stomach had been strong and powerful, and as she started to climb out a sudden and painful reminder of that punch came to her. Overcame with sudden pain, Rain tumbled out of the Corelander, falling towards what was going to be a painful landing.
 
Domon came to her rescue, yet again. He was able to catch the falling damsel just as her right knee hit the rocky pavement.
 
Rain was surprised to find her self not plummeting towards the earth, but instead held in a strong embrace. Domon's strong embrace. She was even more surprised when Domon didn't immediately push her away and comment rudely about her carelessness. Instead he just held her there. He held her loosely but securely. He held her close but still so far away. But most importantly he held her.
 
Time seemed to stretch on, unfortunately not into eternity. Like every, including life itself, the warm embrace was to end.
 
With a quick push, almost resulting in another fall, Domon made his curt comment. "You're so ridiculously careless, Rain." He was a little more aggressive then usual and he knew it. And knew why.
 
Rain, still in shock at Domon's unusual behavior, was unable to defend her self. Like it would have made a difference anyway.
 
She only stood there, somewhat in the way, as Domon finished hiding his big boy toy, only second to the Shining Gundam.
 
"Let's go," came Domon's command once he had finished the hiding, and of course Rain followed.
 
***
 
Rain's usual following distance behind Domon was a little off. She silently cursed the Japanese government for their cheapness as she quickened her pace to match Domon's unwavering one. Not only could they not afford two rooms for both her and her male partner, but they also couldn't even afford a hotel in a decent part of town.
 
Rain was distracted from her concentration of avoiding eye contact and listening of potential footsteps behind her by another shot of pain through her belly. She gave a small yelp of distress as she fell to her knees, successfully reopening the boo-boo she gained from her previous reminder of Andrew's punch.
 
"Stupid Andrew," she muttered. She was quickly beginning to regret ever feeling sorry for that lumberjack.
 
Rain scooted over to a near by stoop, so she could examine the now bleeding cut better and let her complaining stomach calm down a little. She examined the small cut with her doctor eye, which was much more attention then what the scratch really called for. Rain suddenly became very aware that her tushy was wet.
 
`Of course,' she sighed as she noticed the wet step she had seated herself on.
 
Rain looked down at her red knee again and again another sigh. There was nothing she could do about her wet butt and ruined skirt, just as there was nothing she could do about her bleeding knee. Rain would have sighed again but the appearance of two brown shoes stopped her. She looked up only to see Domon's customary angry glare directed at her. Now she sighed. Domon's mouth parted and Rain prepared herself for one of his offensive comments, no doubt about her laziness.
 
When Domon first noticed that Rain was sitting on a stoop instead of following behind him like she should be doing, familiar annoyance came to him. `She could be so lazy sometimes,' he thought. He was about to inform Rain of this fact, in case she managed to miss it, until her looked down upon her. Rain looked to be in pain, her knee was bleeding, and she was dirty. But what effected Domon the most was the sad and pleading look in her blue eyes.
 
`She's even more pathetic then usual,' Domon forced himself to think while trying to block out that uncomfortable feeling in his heart.
 
Awaiting her punishment Rain looked down at her hurt knee. It continued to shine red. The blood being allowed to flow without restraints was taking full advantage of its freedom. Rain was a little surprised that such a shallow scrap could bleed so much. The thick liquid was moving like civilization over her skin, the true natural land of her knee was quickly becoming devoured and overruled In fact her knee was so carpeted in this redness that she almost didn't noticed the matching fabric that was placed over it. Rain looked up to be greeted by yet another surprise from Domon. The Gundam fighter was kneeling before her tentatively caring for her right knee. As shocked as she was by Domon's unexpected concern, she still managed to cringe when she realized it was Domon's red cape that was cleaning her wound.
 
`That thing must be filthy!'
 
Domon saw Rain cringe in pain, and couldn't help, though her tried, the wave of concern he felt. He looked up at her, trying to capture her blue eyes, his own lie detector. "Are you sure you're ok?"
 
Domon had found out about Andrew's punch when the Neo-Canada pilot apologized to Rain, but he wanted to make sure that was all the pilot had to be sorry for. "Are you ok," he had asked Rain. He was asking so many question in that simple three word sentence, all of which were no. "Yes," was Rain's truthful answer. She was certain it would end with that. However here he was asking her again.
 
"Yes," she replied meeting his dark eyes.
 
Accepting this truth, Domon focused on the injured knee again. The bleeding had stopped. Rain noticed that the red liquid's invasion was over as well. `Well there goes my affectionate Domon,' Rain thought as she captured a disappointed sigh before it escaped.
 
Domon stood bringing Rain along with him to this new height. However the forceful and quick movements involuntarily caused her stomach to groan in pain again. Rain's stance faltered a little and she unconsciously sought support from Domon. The temporary crutch at the moment raised an eyebrow at this behavior but didn't say anything.
 
Slightly embarrassed, Rain detached herself from the man and started to walk off towards their hotel, determined not to fall again. Rain was greeted with her third shock for the night when Domon wrapped a supporting arm around her waist. Rain's determination was suddenly unneeded. And as it turned out so was Domon's arm, for his partner's stomach failed to complain the rest of the way home.
 
A smiled tugged at Rain's lips. She couldn't help it; she was enjoying this new and close proximity to Domon. His arm felt surprisingly good and warm around her. Like the smile, Rain was unable to prevent the blush that formed as she wondered what more of him would feel like wrapped around her.
 
Rain would have been in total bliss on this walk back to the hotel, if it weren't for her wet, cold butt.