Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex Fan Fiction ❯ My Magical Gate Experience Was Ruined, As I Expected ❯ YGS: 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Chapter 6

July 2015

Basic training was basic training. I had them put Batou on my shirts. Basic quickly transitioned into Advanced Individual Training, and then Infantry school, and then Mechanized Infantry school.

One sunny afternoon mail call after a long morning doing live-fire CQB quals, I got a letter from Hachiman that he’d dropped out of college from boredom, or offending his literature department dean and being expelled for insouciance, a word I had to look up. At loose ends and worried about providing for Yui, he had joined the JSDF after all, complaining of another reservist so lazy that Hachiman felt a bit jealous and overachieving in comparison. Some guy named Itami.

Hachiman said he’d scored on some special tests and would be fast tracked into Intelligence and special operations. I ended up in Intelligence school with Hachiman a few months later, both of us clearing the needed psych evaluations to pass the clearance hurdles.

“My little sis is engaged to Saki’s little brother. I can’t call him Bug anymore. She really likes him, and he’s gainfully employed. Comes from having a good personality, probably,” admitted Hachiman after we’d finished the day’s struggles in introduction to encryption and communications technology, mainly digital radios. Military radio tech is like cellphones, only way cooler and more flexible.

“How does my Saki look?”

“Did you even ask her out? Does she know you like her?” nagged Hachiman.

“She knows. Probably. And I took her out lots of times. So how’s she look?” I replied.

“Eh, the usual. Kinda lonely? Keeping busy I guess. She’s in college and still helping with the wedding planning. Hey did you know that Totsuka is a male model now?”

“Seriously? Well, he is a bishounen, so I guess that makes sense.”

“Some photographer at one of his tennis matches discovered him and he’s on the cover of 20 advertising spandex or something,” said Hachiman, lost in remembrance.

We finished up our meal and placed the cafeteria trays in the correct tubs before heading to our next assignment, an evening briefing on some new discovery in the south.