Gundam 08th MS Team Fan Fiction ❯ Karasu (Raven) ❯ Symptoms ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yet more.......

Chapter Six: Symptoms

*Late November, U.C. 0069*

Almost a month had passed since Sakura had stayed at Ghinius' house, and she still couldn't get over it. She was overcome with emotion, and enjoyed every minute she spent with him. So, one Saturday morning, she was sleeping peacefully, until she was awoken by some of the children at the group home where she lived.

"What is it kids?" She asked groggily.

"One of the ravens is acting weird," replied a child, who was referring one to the local ravens.

"Let me see," She said as she got up, lead by the children to the outdoor playground, where she found a raven lying on the ground, breathing heavily.

"Oh no, it looks pretty bad," She said.

"What do you think's wrong with it," A child questioned.

"I don't know, but it looks sick,"

"What should we do?" Asked another child.

"I don't think there's much we can do, we'll just have to let nature take its course," She replied, though she did wish there was something she could do for it; she hated to see things die before their time, but she knew that it was natures way.

The raven died a few hours later, and Sakura and the others decided to bury it. Ghinius had decided to see her, and walked to the group home to discover Sakura and the others burying the raven.

"Hey Sakura, what are you doing with the kids?"

"Oh, one of the ravens that live around here died," She said, sounding slightly depressed, "we're burying it,"

"Hey Sakura, who's that," Asked a child.

"Let's just say I'm her boyfriend," Ghinius interrupted, "anyway, I brought you a gift," He said as he handed her a pack of patterned origami paper.

"Oh, it's beautiful, thank you," She said, and then got up and hugged him. He responded to her embrace, and kissed her on the cheek. But as he let go of her, she began to feel dizzy, just like when she stepped out of the shower a few weeks ago. Ghinius took notice and caught her just as she was about to fall.

"You okay?" He asked, sounding worried.

"Oh, yes, I'm fine," She replied, even though she knew that something was wrong. She had been feeling somewhat ill over the past few weeks, but she told no one. The main reason was for fear of what could be wrong, that it could tear apart her relationships, especially the one she had with Ghinius. She hoped that it would pass, that it was just a cold or something, and she would soon feel better. Yes, it is just a cold, she thought, or at least wanted to think.

"Are you sure your fine, you look kind of under-the-weather," He asked.

"I'm probably just a little tired,"

"Anyway, did you hear about all those riots that have been happening lately? Something about Garma and Kishiria's father and brother forming an anti-Earth group called the Duchy of Zeon, and that one of his brothers was assassinated," He said as the two had a seat on a nearby bench.

"My sympathy goes out to him, the poor boy having to go through so much at that age,"

"Yeah, but I can understand why they're so angry at the Earth, not letting the colonies rule themselves and all,"

"Yes, but I hope they don't go to war or anything, all that ever does is bring needless death and suffering,"

"But I though you said `without death, there could be no life.' "

"Yes, but not unnaturally, like in war. But I know, as long as there is humanity, there will be wars. Unfortunately, humans just can't seem to get along," She sighed as she looked up at the artificial sky. She somewhat agreed with Ghinius about the colonies not being allowed to rule themselves, but didn't want a needless conflict. But she could sense that there would probably be one.

"Anyway, Garma and Ayna have been getting along well lately," Ghinius changed the subject, "it almost makes me wonder if they're in love or something," He was referring to the fact that Garma was always getting invited to come and play with Ayna, and vice-versa. It might have had something to do with the current events that made Ayna one of the few people he could relate with.

"Oh really, how adorable, they would make such a cute couple," Sakura replied.

"Yeah, I think Garmas' father wants that when they get older," He commented, "hey, you want to come to my house again?"

"No, I think I've been there enough lately, the staff at the home might begin to suspect something,"

"Well, since I've got nothing better to do, I'll hang around here,"

"I guess I should show you around then," She lead him to the main office, where several people sat. Not knowing if it was all right for Ghinius to see the building, she asked for permission from one of the staff. He said it was okay, and so she took him first to the girls bedrooms. It was a large room, with about twenty bunk-beds, each with a dresser by it.

"Are you sure I'm supposed to be here," He asked nervously.

"In the daytime it's okay," She then lead him to a bunk-bed in the middle of the room. Nothing was different about it, except the dresser beside it was covered with origami models.

"As you can see, this is mine," She stated, "I sleep on the top bunk,"

"Wow, you sure have decorated the dresser," He said as he picked up one of the origami models, which was made out of bright pink paper, "what's this one, it looks like a flower or something,"

"It's a lily, to be exact,"

"It's pretty, you're very talented,"

"Yeah, and the kids love it, they always want me to make them things,"

"Sakura, how did you get into origami?"

"Well, my parents taught me a few models when I was younger, and it just grew from there after they died," She remembered when parents first taught her how to make her first model, a crane. The told her an old legend that a person who folds a thousand cranes will get a wish granted. She didn't know if she believed it, and never tried to fold one thousand cranes. After all, she had nothing to wish for.

They stayed in the bedroom for a few minutes, then Sakura lead Ghinius to the dinning room. It was a large room, and looked much like a school cafeteria.

"This is the dinning room, as you can see," She said, "the food here isn't that good, but at least it's food,"

"Like school food,"

"Yes, kind of," She giggled, recalling how terrible the school food is, "but not quite that bad," Next she took him to the gym. The gym was also large, and there was all sorts of sports equipment strewn about it.

"This is the gym, we play sports and stuff in here,"

"Ugh, it smells in here,"

"Yeah, but that's something you get used to, plus it can't be much worse than the gym at school," Last, she lead him to the playroom. It was smaller than the other rooms, and it had many toy-filled boxes and toys on the floor.

"And lastly, this is the playroom, where the younger kids have playtime,"

"Reminds me of my childhood,"

"Why, is it the toys or something," She asked, sounding intrigued.

"Not just that," He responded, "when I was nine, I came down with rheumatic fever, and I've had outbreaks of it on and off since then, and I've spent lots of time in hospitals, and they had playrooms similar to this one,"

"But you seem very healthy to me,"

"Well, the doctors say the disease is in remission, because I've been taking medication that finally works,"

"Well that's good, I don't want to catch it from you," She said, and then noticed that it was getting late, and the lights in the colony would be turned off soon, "Ghinius, I think you should go home, it's getting late, and they don't allow kids who don't live here to spend the night,"

"Well, I guess I'll leave then," He said, and then took her in his arms and kissed her, "Good bye," He said after they finished. He then started to leave, but Sakura stopped him just as he was walking out the door.

"Before you leave, I just want to say thank you for everything you've done for me,"

"Like what?"

"Your the only person since my parents that I've really trusted and loved, and you've just been there for me when I needed you,"

"Thank you," He said, and embraced her again, "but I have to get going,"

"Bye, Ghinius," But as she bid him goodbye, she felt dizzy again. She leaned on a nearby chair for support, and looked up to see if Ghinius was there, because surely he would have helped her up. But he had already left...

Ok, so I didn't do much explaining as to what is gonna' happen, but I promise lots more will be explained in future (and possibly the next) chapter. Like what's up with Sakura getting dizzy all the time (hint: remember, I said this is loosely based off the story of Sasaki Sadako), and what does the raven have to do with this. Anyway, I shall be leaving. Toodles^-^