Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Caged Doves ❯ An Empty Nest ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hiya! Well, here it is! The next chapter in Caged Doves. Hope you like it!
 
Standard Disclaimers Apply: I don't own GW or any of it's characters. I just abuse them a little and return them a little worse for wear. I DO however own the storyline herein and any original characters I may add in.(Like Loni...) And please don't sue me. All you'll get is the dirt and dustbunnies that live under my bed as they're about all I own.
_________________________________________________________________ ______
Chapter 3:
_________________________________________________________________ ______
 
"I'm gonna kill that sonofabitch!"
 
Everyone turned to look at the cold voice that belonged to the outburst.
 
"Heero!" exclaimed Duo.
 
He almost didn't recognize the man before him as the best friend that went into deep cover two years ago. At 6', Heero had gotten taller and bigger than when Duo had last seen him. He was quite a bit more muscular, even though it was still his typical lean build, and his hair...It was still the chocolate brown as before but it was longer, almost shoulder length, and it now had streaks in it the color of honey! But when Duo looked at his eyes he could tell it was Heero. The deep prussian blue hadn't changed at all. And neither had the determined 'glare-o-death' that only Yuy could pull off.
 
Heero looked at Duo and realized that he wasn't the only one that had changed. Duo had gotten taller too. At about 6' 2", he was still the taller of the two of them, but not by much. He still had the long braid and he was still dressing in the Preventer's uniform, which he was filling out better now, but he had lost the priest's collar. All in all, he looked good, which Heero would have appreciated more if he wasn't so furious.
 
"Maxwell, you have 10 seconds to explain this to me. You better start," he said somewhat menacingly.
 
Duo flinched a little at the tone in Heero's voice but wasn't suprised. He'd been expecting it actually. Heero had left him in charge of Relena's safety while he was gone and now she had been kidnapped, on the very day of Heero's return. All things considered, Duo was suprised he wasn't looking down the barrel of Heero's 9mm...yet.
 
"O.k., 'Ro. It's like this. Relena decided not to wait for me or Ms. Loni to take her to work this morning. She snuck out of the house before I was supposed to arrive and appearantly rode the subway here. All things considered, she seemed to be fine until she got here. She made it across the street just before a stolen van raced up behind her and snatched her right out front of the building! Whoever this whack job is, he's got cahoneys the size of a mobile suit!"
 
"His name is Carrington. Earl Charles Carrington. I recognize him from a couple of those abyssmal balls Relena was always attending. Beyond that I don't know much," said Heero.
 
"He's a member of the Lord's Alliance, though I'd doubt this was a sanctioned manuever on their part. The Alliance is mostly made up of nobility left over from the rule of the Canq Kingdom. They get together at the country club once a week to discuss what's going on in the senate and whether or not they like it. A couple of them are even in the senate and they represent the Alliance as best they can, though they're a minority thereof and don't have a whole lot of power. Why he'd want to do this is beyond me. He has several bills up for vote in the next couple of months. Surely he knows this stunt is going to ruin everything he's worked for. It just doesn't make sense," said Quatre, looking at the others.
 
"It makes perfect sense."
 
Everyone turned to look at Milliardo, who was still looking at the picture of Relena on the screen.
 
"Explain," said Une.
 
"He's not just a member of the Lord's Alliance, he's their current leader and head spokesperson. What most people don't know is that his father was best friends with mine. His father died about three years ago. He refused to join the Lord's Alliance back then. He knew things were never going to be the same as when the Canq Kingdom's Royal family ruled over everyone. He respected my father greatly and held true to the same ideals."
 
"But why would he kidnap Relena?" asked Wufei. "And what does he mean by 'a valid claim on the throne'?"
 
Milliardo sighed heavily. "He does have a valid claim."
 
"What?!" Duo couldn't hide his confusion at that statement. Although, most of the others seemed to be just as lost.
 
'Except Une,' thought Heero. 'She knows something of this.'
 
Milliardo finally looked away from the main monitor and faced them. He looked like he had a rather bad taste in his mouth.
 
"I was supposed to inherit the throne from my father. None of that really matters now because of the assassination and all, but the point is that Carrington's claim comes from back then. You see, Relena wasn't supposed to be in line for the throne unless I didn't take it for some reason. As such she still had to have a valid claim and needed to be secured in the eyes of the Lords that she would have a proper husband to back her claim and help her rule."
 
"Or rule for her," interjected Trowa.
 
Milliardo nodded. "True. Most of the nobility didn't think a woman could lead them well enough on her own. So she was betrothed to Lord Carrington's youngest son, Charles. He was about five then, I think. Anyway, my father didn't like the idea of making her marry someone she didn't love, especially if it wasn't necassary. So he did what he could to make sure she wasn't forced into something she didn't want. #1-He brethothed her to someone she would be raised around anyway so she could possibly fall for him naturally. And #2-He placed limitations on the betrothal. She was not to be married before she turned 18. That way she couldn't be forced to marry early just so someone else could take the throne if something were to happen to both Father and myself. In that case, she would take the throne and be Queen and whoever she married would just be consort to the Queen instead of King. Also, if she didn't marry her betrothed by the time she was 21, she was free to marry whomever she chose and he would lose any claim to the throne he had."
 
"But she turns 21 in a week! That doesn't give him much time!" said Hilde.
 
"No...That doesn't give us much time," corrected Milliardo. "He will want to solidify his hold on her as soon as possible. That means he'll marry her just as soon as he possibly can."
 
"But, why then would he openly invite Heero into his midst? Surely he must know that Heero won't let him go through with the wedding," said Dorothy.
 
"That's simple, onna," answered Wufei. "It's a trap."
 
Dorothy gave him a good approximation of the 'Yuy Glare-O-Death', but let the onna comment slide.
 
"Iknow it's a trap, baka. I just thought that he was playing a little too close to fire for someone that obviously planned this little stunt well ahead of time and with a lot of preparation. I want to know his motivation for letting a lion into his den."
 
Wufei let the baka statement slide too, but gave her his own glare in return.
 
Lady Une turned to Heero.
 
"Yuy, have you received anything from Carrington yet?"
 
Heero started to shake his head 'No', but then stopped and pulled out the letter he got as he walked in the HQ. Looking at it, it was more like a birthday card than a letter. The envelope was a creamy white with his name scrawled beautifully across the front in embossing. He opened it, pulled out a card and a slip of paper...and swore as he read it.
 
"What is that, 'Ro?" asked Duo as he watched the look on his face go from angry to livid. Cold rage wasn't an emotion he was used to seeing on Heero's features very often, not that you could tell much by the look on his face. But most of the people assembled here had known Heero long enough to be able to read it pretty well.
 
Heero handed the card over to Une, saying, "This was delivered via courier just as I got here."
 
Une looked rather perturbed as she read the card aloud:
 
You are cordially invited to the wedding of
 
Earl Charles Carrington
to
Queen Relena Peacecraft
 
Please join them in celebrating their new found happiness.
 
R.S.V.P. soon as seating is limited.
 
She flipped the card over, then back and looked at Heero.
 
"Where's the contact info?"
 
Heero held up the small paper that was enclosed with the card. Then he folded it up and tucked it into his inner jacket pocket.
 
"Well.....We're waiting, Yuy. What did it say?"
 
Heero shook his head.
 
"No. This is my mission now. You heard what Carrington said. He won't let anyone else near her. If he's stupid enough to let me close, then I can get her out. I'll contact you when I can."
 
With that he started for the elevator.
 
Une didn't look particularly pleased, but knew better than most what it would take to stop him when he got it into his head that he was on a mission. She shook her head, sighing annoyedly.
 
"While Mr. Yuy is infiltrating our perp's organization..."
 
The rest was lost on Duo as he walked up to Heero, slipping into the elevator just before the doors closed.
 
Duo stood there for a long moment, not quite sure what to say. In the end it was Heero that broke the silence.
 
"Hilde looks about ready to pop. When did that happen?"
 
Duo smiled a somewhat goofy grin.
 
"About seven months ago. We actually got married about a year ago. I left you a message in one of the anonymous e-boxes we tend to use, but I never got a response, so I didn't know if you ever got it."
 
Heero nodded.
 
"I got it. I just wasn't in a position to do much about it. For what it's worth, I'm sorry I missed the wedding."
 
Duo's grin widened into a full smile.
 
"You didn't miss it completely. I had a picture of you blown up and placed on the front pew next to Quatre and Trowa. I know, very 'Armageddon-ish', but I wanted you there."
 
Heero nodded again. Then he asked,
 
"Who was your best man?"
 
"Wufei. I didn't think he'd do it, but he was actually very agreeable, for once. I keep teasing him that he's the next to get married since Sally caught the bouquet and all, but she hasn't managed to pin him down yet. I'm beginning to think she won't."
 
Duo laughed a little.
 
"You know, this is the most I think I've heard come out of you at one time. What's up with that?"
 
Heero looked at him with his trademark glare.
 
"I could always go back to being stoic and icy. Would that be better?"
 
Duo put his hands up defensively and shook his head.
 
"No, 'Ro. It's fine. I just wondered, that's all. What?"
 
Heero was shaking his head.
 
"In all this time you haven't changed a bit. I'm not suprised though. Just...glad, I suppose. I'm glad to see you again, Duo."
 
Duo almost choked on the lump in his throat as his best friend, almost a brother, smiled a small smile and told him he was glad to see him. He smiled too.
 
"I'm glad to see you too, Heero. I've missed you. Hell, we ALL have. It just hasn't been the same around here without you. I'm really glad you're back. Where were you anyway?"
 
Heero shook his head and sighed.
 
"Don't ask." At Duo's disappointed look, he added, "Yet. Don't ask yet. I'll tell you. Just not now, when we've got a lot to do."
 
Duo brightened back up a little.
 
"So...I take it you're not as angry with me as I thought you'd be?"
 
Heero looked at him.
 
"For losing Relena?"
 
Duo nodded...and then picked his jaw up as Heero did something he'd almost never heard-he laughed.
 
"Duo, you baka. I couldn't be mad at you for losing her. A little diappointed maybe, since I DID tell you that she could be slippery, but not mad. Hell, where do you think she learned most of her sneaking skills?"
 
Duo nodded.
 
"I know, from us. I just feel bad that she got kidnapped on my watch. I promised you that I'd take care of her, and I failed. On the day you came back no less!"
 
Heero shook his head and put a hand on Duo's shoulder.
 
"Don't worry about it, Duo. I'm back. I'll take care of her myself. Besides, it wasn't fair of me to make you promise to watch over her, especially when I know first hand how a big a pain in the ass she can be."
 
By this time they were in the lobby, headed for the front doors. Duo turned to him, fishing a key out of his pocket and holding it out to Heero.
 
"Here's your house key. Everything's fine. I've checked it twice a week every week, just like I said I would."
 
Heero took the key from Duo, telling him,"Thanks."
 
Duo just shrugged.
 
"No big deal. So, what 'cha gonna do now?"
 
"Head home. Clean up." He fingered one of the blondish locks of hair, saying, "Maybe get a haircut. Although, I have gotten used to it this way."
 
Duo smiled.
 
"No, man. Leave it like it is. I like it. And I'll bet she will like it too," he teased.
 
"Who? Relena?"
 
Duo laughed again.
 
"Yeah, Relena."
 
"I thought that she would've moved on by now."
 
Duo shook his head.
 
"Nope. She tried dating a couple of times. Ya' know, double dates with Hilde and me, but she quickly lost interest in any of those guys. Hilde even tried a couple of those 'Girl's Night Out' things, but that didn't fly too well either. She eventually told Hilde that she was lesbian, but neither one of us buy that."
 
Heero shook his head.
 
"I don't buy that either. She's not the type. Bi, maybe. Lesbian, no."
 
Duo chuckled and clapped his friend on the back.
 
"Face it, 'Ro. You've ruined her for all the rest of guy-dom. There's only one Heero Yuy."
 
Heero just smirked and suprised Duo further by murmuring, "Good."
 
Duo quirked an eyebrow questioningly. Heero shook his head again, saying, "Later."
 
"Alright, 'Ro," said Duo. "But we Will have this conversation. And I WILL get answers. You get me?"
 
Heero nodded, still smirking.
 
"I get you. Now go. So I can."
 
Duo pulled him into a quick hug, suprising him, but it was so quick he didn't have time to react. Then Duo told him, "Later, 'Ro." and walked away.
 
Heero just shook his head again and walked out the doors and into his next mission.
 
_________________________________________________________________ ______
O.K.
 
So what'cha think?
 
Sorry this one took so long to get posted. The next one will be sooner.
 
Please Remember to review. Remember: Authors LOVE Reviews! And that equals chapters!