Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gitana ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gitana

By Oyuki

Chapter Three

When Milliardo and Heero arrived home early the next morning they were greeted by the butler.

"Your Majesty, where have you been?" he asked hurriedly. "You're mother has been frantic over the fact that you've been gone since yesterday. I had to convince her not to send out a search party for you! She's been worried sick!" the servant ecxitedly, but before he continued a loud, strong feminine voice said, "Milliardo! Where in Heaven's name have you been?"

Milliardo gave a heavy sigh. "I was in the gypsy village, Mother, as you well know," he replied tiredly.

"But you said you'd be back before sundown yesterday!" she said. She had been so worried over her oldest child. She could not lose him. "You know you cannot go trampling about the countryside like this! There is rebellion brewing in every kingdom from Sank to Navarre!"

Milliardo tried not to feel like a child being scolded, but failed. He did not like this... this power his mother wanted to over him, treating him as if he was still a young lad instead of a full grown man. "Calm down, Mother. I have not come to any harm. Now, tell us where Relena is."

His mother gave a sigh and said, "She's in her bedroom. Honestly, Milliardo I don't see--"

Milliardo leaned close and kissed his mother's cheek. "We want to see Relena, Mother. I'll talk to you later."

Victoria Peacecraft gave an unlady-like snort. "Seems to me your sister is more important than your queen and mother," she whispered.

He rolled his eyes and walked beside Heero to his and Relena's bedroom. "I swear she gets more annoying by the day," Heero muttered.

They reached the bedroom but instead of going inside Milliardo walked down the hall to his own bedroom. It was not the first time he'd avoided his mother like this. She had gotten more and more controlling since his father had died. True, she had taken over all of his responsibilities, but sometimes it just got out of hand. It seemed, to him, that she wanted to have him under her thumb. She was constantly pushing things on him and most of the time he did not refuse, if only to avoid arguing with her.

He buried his face in his hands. God he had so much to think about, but he had made up his mind about one thing. He would bring Noin home, no matter what the cost.

*~*~*~*

Nadja stood next to her father in the tzerha, they were discussing what shows they would perform the day of their departure, which would be in two days' time. Her mind wasn't on that, however. Her mind was on the young man that had come into her vurdon. He was so handsome, and she had seen all the pain and insecurity in his eyes. She couldn't help but wonder why he had come into her vurdon, and just exactly why he'd been so adamant that she remember seeing him before. She almost felt bad about saying that she'd never seen him before. Maybe he was confusing her with somebody else. Whatever it was, he sure seemed disappointed that she didn't remember him. She sighed. She leaned down and whispered to her father if she could go outside to find her sister. He nodded and Nadja left the tent.

She found her sister by the river washing clothes on a stone. She kneeled next to her and began to wash clothes also.

"What's wrong, you seem so quiet, Nadja?" her sister asked in their native Romany dialect.

"Do you remember that man from yesterday?" she asked.

"Which one? The one with the dark hair or the--"

"The one with light hair. He came into our tent last night during Veshengo and Vadoma's abiav."

Nata's eyes got wide. "And you did not yell for help?" she asked, astonished. "He could have hurt you, Nadja!"

Nadja looked at her sister. "But I felt no fear of him, Nata. If I felt anything, I felt desperation, anger, even pain. He's such a tortured spirit, Pena. And he did nothing to me, as you can see."

Nata gave her sister an odd look before turning back to her washing. "What, Nata? What was that look for?" Nadja asked, she was annoyed.

"Nadja," she said and paused. "Nadja, don't get your hopes up with this gajo," she warned.

Nadja looked at her sister, stopping her own washing. "Why did you tell me that? What do you know?"

Nata sighed again. "Nadja, Renzo's father has begun attempts to speak to father about you. Renzo wants to marry you," she said, her eyes downcast. She had overheard Aladar, Renzo's father, asking their father when he could speak to him about the marriage of their children.

"No," Nadja said incredulously. "Father knows I don't love Renzo. I can't--"

"That hardly matters in our culture, Nadja, and you know that. If father says you have to marry Renzo then you do," her sister told her, resuming her washing once again. She didn't want to look at her sister's face.

"I will never marry Renzo, Nata. One, because I don't love him, and two because I know you are in love with him." Nadja put a hand on Nata's shoulder. "I would never cause you such pain. If you would just tell father--"

"What good would it do me?" she whispered. Tears forming in her eyes and threatening to fall. "Renzo wants you... not me."

"I will never cause you pain like that. No matter what happens, you're my sister and I love you."

Tbc…