Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Raven ❯ Waking nightmare ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Yes, I admit that I have not updated in a million years. In fact, I did not have any plans to do so. While I have a very good idea where I'm going with the story, I just don't really have the time/energy/enthusiasm to write GW any more. However, since I looked at the RIDICULOUS number of reviews I've received since I stopped paying attention to the story, I felt bad. The original plan was to allow everyone to assume, "Duo fell off the bridge, died, the end." But the guilt trip took over. I cannot promise that this will ever be finished, but here's an update anyway.

And no, the bad guy is in no way, shape or form Kurama. Kurama is a yummy bishie. Takei is based on a really drunk, obnoxious friend's roommate.

Insert standard disclaimer here.

~Midnight Raven~

Chapter 19

The first thing he felt was numb. Not the good can't-feel-anything numb-no, it was the very not-good, sensation-of-being-stabbed-by-thousands-of-tiny-little-angry-warriors-brand ishing-needles numb. Nope, not good at all. Some distant part of his mind attempted to swat at the tiny warriors to make them go away.

"Duo?" a soft familiar voice swam in the darkness.

"How's he doing, love?" another voice drifted by.

"I think he's waking up," the first voice answered. He felt a hand touch his cheek. "His temperature is back to normal."

`Ow, bright,' Duo thought as he shut his eyes quickly. He tried again, slowly this time. That worked much better. He was in his and Heero's room in the safehouse with Quatre and Trowa peering down at him in concern. With a weak smile, he managed, "Hey, Quat. What's up?"

Some of the tension in the blonde's face melted at the attempted cheerfulness. "You went on a walk. Heero found you in a ditch and brought you back."

"How long was I out?"

"It's Saturday night."

`Wow. That's Thursday night, Friday night. . . .' Duo shifted in bed. `Concussion: yup. Broken bones: none. Bruised ribs: plenty. OW.' He was tempted to just snuggle deeper into the covers and hibernate for a few weeks, but at that moment his stomach decided to assert a rather loud `feed me' growl.

Quatre grinned at the noise and, shooing Trowa toward the door, said "We'll send someone up with some food."

And they left. And Duo was all alone in the room with nothing to do to take his mind off the pain and hunger. So he lay there. And he fidgeted. And he contemplated doing unpleasant things to Takei. And he felt unbelievably relieved when someone finally knocked on the door.

"For the love of GOD come in. . . er, I mean, c'mon in." The door cracked open and in walked Wufei with a tray. He set the broth and bread in Duo's lap and headed back for the door. "Oh, no, you don't!" Duo called after him. "I'm bored, and there's nothing to do in here, and you are gonna sit here and talk to me."

The Chinese pilot let out a long-suffering sigh and pulled up the chair from the desk. "Well, what?"

Duo looked thoughtfully for a minute before picking a subject. "So what's been going on while I was out?"

"Trowa, Quatre, and I have been watching you. Heero has not returned to the Midnight Raven. He thinks your absence would be suspicious. He's maintaining near-constant surveillance of Oz activities," Wufei answered as if giving a briefing.

Duo frowned. His stomach sank just a bit. He nibbled at the bread, knowing that if this next question didn't go well, he was going to lose his appetite. "Tro, Quat and you? Heero hasn't taken a turn?"

Duo had to give the Chinese pilot some credit. He could tell it was a touchy subject from the smallness in Duo's voice. "No, he hasn't. He. . . he's even switched rooms," he murmured apologetically.

Duo blinked up at him. He hadn't expected things to be quite that bad. "Do you know why?" He shook his head. "Didn't you ask him?"

"Yes I asked him," Wufei answered with a bit more force than he meant. "Sorry."

The injured boy just waved it away. "What did he say?"

"What do you think he said? He said `hn'," he replied almost apologetically.

`So he doesn't care,' Duo thought sinkingly. `He doesn't care at all.'