Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Midnight Raven ❯ Chapter 17

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Once again, no own, no sue, much thanks.

~Midnight Raven~

Chapter 18

~~

Duo berated himself for leaving even as he opened the door and went to sit on the front porch. "What did I do?" he groaned, though whether he was referring to his graceless exit or the previous night's escapades, he wasn't sure. `Baka, baka, baka, baka,' he tried to shake his head clear, but the ranting mantra continued to echo through his skull.

He stood up and wandered off down the street, his head down, paying little attention to where he was going. He ambled for quite a while, finally finding himself on a small bridge over a large ditch. Gazing down at the water that swirled lazily below, he leaned against the rail and let out a long choked sigh. A few frustrated tears threatened to spill but he blinked them back.

He wanted someone to blame for everything going wrong. If only they had gotten to talk this morning, he would at least have a clue. Naturally, he tried to blame everything on Trowa and his culinary ineptitude. And for about three minutes, it worked. But then he felt bad. Trowa just wanted to do something cute for Quatre.

Then he tried blaming Quatre. But that didn't work because Quatre hadn't even been awake.

Maybe Wufei. Sure, Wufei was always out to make Duo's life a living hell; he probably said those things on purpose. `Wow, Duo, paranoid much? You sound like Heero. Wu-man is clueless about the whole thing, and even if he did know, he normally only comes after you to get you back for something. Besides, all that sneaky stuff isn't honorable.'

Duo winced. He was slowly running out of scapegoats. He knew that Heero hadn't chosen for things to go like this. Heck, he'd even suggested they talk last night. `Besides, who can blame someone that hot. . .I wonder if I can extend that excuse to cover myself.' He shook his head.

It was the situation. No one to blame, it just happened and now to fix everything he needed to talk to Heero and figure out everything they should have figured out while still cuddled in bed this morning. Which meant going back to the safe-house after running off in such a childish manner.

Heaving a great sigh, he pushed back from the railing, but his back hit something. Well, more precisely, someone. He had been so deep in thought that he hadn't heard anyone approach. "Oops, sorry, `bout that," he murmured, half expecting to turn and see Quatre there to talk him out of his funk.

But he couldn't turn.

He felt a sudden adrenaline rush as strong arms held him firmly in place. "Look, man, I said I was sorry. It was an accident," his voice was strained with stress as he struggled. "Get off me!"

A stony, soulless voice whispered in his ear, "Tsk, tsk, Patrick. Don't be like that."

Duo stiffened. `Patrick? My cover name? What the hell?' "Get the fuck off me!" His attacker chuckled. Duo's fighting skills were doing him no good; the other man was just as skilled and had the upper hand.

"Play nice," the man leered. Duo responded by landing an elbow to his ribs. Growling, the man lifted him up, pushing him toward the rail. "Goodbye Patrick."

The last thing Duo saw on his way down was an angry shock of crimson bangs.

~~Wow, I'm even more evil than I thought. But I promise I'll make it better. . . eventually.