Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mind of the Soldier ❯ Chapter 3

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]



Body





Chapter 3

Moscow Svo Airport

The plane touched down upon the asphalt of Moscow Svo Airport in the Early
Morning of the next day. As the jet landed, it jolted and Norman grumbled as he was shaken by the landing impact. The plane soon settled down and started to stop.

Norman was feeling unhappy once again. He did not want to be here, and he did not want to fight anyone. Norman did not think we would have to fight, however. He pondered that Heinlin had only sent him here to get rid of him.

He had not spoken to the young private ever since he left the airport. She had did him a favor by realizing he did not want to talk, he supposed. All Norman thought of right now was his new assignment.

The plane came to a complete stop and the stairs for the passengers to get off on were brought to the door of the small, jet. Norman took a quick look around and saw there was not many people on board, mostly military personnel he had not seen before. The door opened and Norman walked out into the morning sunlight. He squinted as he tried to get a view of the airport. He saw the surrounding city around him, and thought Moscow looked pretty much like any other city, with the exception of the dome like spires of the Russian Orthodox churches.

Norman walked down the stairs were Johnston, still silent, was following behind him. He looked down and saw a limousine with two men in Oz uniforms were standing. Norman was surprised they brought a limousine, he was not royalty. He examined the men slightly as we came towards the bottom. One looked fairly young. Had straight brown hair, and wore a small, almost unnoticeable smile upon his face. The other was older- probably in his mid fifties, and bore a resemblance to Heinlin that made Norman uneasy.

As they went onto the pavement, both of the soldiers saluted them and Norman and Johnston returned the salute.

"I am Colonel Carl Higgins, and this is Lieutenant James Brooks." The older man said.

"Captain Tomas Mikel Norman." Norman replied introducing himself. He was sure that Higgins already knew his name, but that is what all soldiers did.

"Private Lindsay Johnston." Johnston said, introducing herself as well.

"Pleased to meet you both." Brooks said briefly. Higgins shot him an annoyed glance. Norman could already tell that Higgins was the type with a stick up his ass.

"We will proceed now to Area C-105." Higgins said, as Brooks opened the door to the limousine. Area C-105 must be the base, Norman thought.

"Area C-105?" Norman asked. "What an unoriginal name for a base. It sounds like that
Area 51 in the Nevada desert." Norman chuckled a little. Brooks still held the smile on his face. Higgins looked even more annoyed. Apparently, he was not amused by his joking.

"In case you didn't know, Captain, bases in this area are given numbers for easy reference. It's not like in America. The Oz officials there seem to enjoy naming them after states. If you ask me, that's not any more original is it?" Higgins' eyebrows raised a little in a questioning look.

"I-I suppose you are right, sir." Norman replied. He silently went into the car with the rest of them.

"It's about an hour's drive from here to the base, Captain." Brooks said. He had spoken for the first time.

"Enjoy the Russian countryside." Brooks added.

After the vehicle started to move toward the freeway out of Moscow, Norman decided to stay silent for awhile. As they moved out of the city into the country, Norman say the conifer forests and large mountains. This scenery reminded him of Colorado. He was somewhat comforted by that. Norman remained silent throughout the whole trip. Everyone else was too. Norman occasionally looked to the side, and saw Higgins looking critically at him. Brooks still carried that odd smile.

After awhile, Norman saw the sign for the installation which proclaimed it was two kilometers ahead. Norman straightened himself and his neat, black uniform. Higgins looked upon the medals on Norman's chest silently. Norman was the one to break the awkward silence in the roomy cabin of the limousine.

"Is Zech's Marquise going to be here sir?" Norman asked Higgins.

"Sorry to disappoint you, Captain, but he left late last night on urgent business."

"Oh." Norman said. He thought it was not that important to meet him anyway.

The vehicle proceeded through the gates as the two sentries lifted them. Already, Norman could see the familiar, huge hangers which held the mighty mobile suits and their gigantic arsenal of weaponry. Norman frowned when he saw some of the suit out of the hangers. He also saw people scurrying about among the suits. Most likely training. The people were severely dwarfed by the suits' immense size.

The limousine moved right in front of the main building, which contained the intelligence room, and conference room. The lounge and pub was attached to it. The vehicle came to an abrupt stop.

"Looks like we've arrived, Captain." Brooks said in a cheery voice. The driver of the limousine, a runty soldier with a cap too big for his head, opened the doors. Norman stepped out of the car and felt a slight breeze. He scanned the perimeter and saw soldiers going about business, most in casual wear. In the east corner of the base, some soldiers were playing a game of baseball. He heard laughs and cheers coming from that direction.

"People seem to be really happy around here." Norman mumbled to Brooks.

"Yeah, we give them chances to have extra activities in their days. We set up sports, and also have a lounge with a pub, and a movie theater in the base. The General sticks to the policy that a happy soldier is an effective soldier." Norman smirked a little.

"That's probably correct." Norman replied.

"No time to talk right now, gentlemen." Carl Higgins cut in. "Time to see the General."

The General's name was Samuel Clarke. He was very grand fatherly looking and had a friendly face. Earlier, as they walked into the intelligence room, Brooks had said General Clarke was 73 years old.

"Greetings ladies and gentlemen." Clarke said as he looked at them. He was certainly a mild man, and had a friendly voice. Norman was a little amused by him.

"I want to welcome you to our installation, Area C-105." He looked at them again, walking in a sort of strut focusing on Norman and Johnston.

"I understand, Captain Norman, that you are an experienced squad leader?"

"That is correct sir. I have been the leader of two squads in my career, both specialized in mobile suit and ground assaults."

"Is that right?" The general said gruffly. He seemed to have a problem with his left eye, it kept on wandering when he spoke. His shaggy, gray hair draped over his head in folds as he brushed it aside.

"What about you Private?" He asked Johnston.

"I have had no actual combat experience, just simulated."

"I see why they sent you with Captain Norman then. I have heard great things about him."

"Yes, sir." She said. She glanced at Norman and smiled.

"Well, I might as well get to explaining why you are here, Norman." The old man sighed and stood in front of them. He had stopped pacing.

"Around 30 days ago we started receiving threatening messages from the UCO." The general started to explain. "They said they wanted this area for their military maneuvers."

The general cleared his throat and continued.

"Of course, we refused, as the they had no right to claims on Earth. However, about 14 days ago, a team of new recruits out in the back woods doing training exercises was attacked by a squad of UCO rebels. Three of our men were killed." Norman looked solemnly at the General and then spoke.

"It looks like they brought the war from space to Earth. I think they have come through Siberia. That area there is low profile. Scores of their soldiers and mobile suits could sneak toward this base relatively undetected."

"That's exactly what they're doing." Brooks cut in. Until now he was standing casually by the wall.

"We think so, anyway." Clarke replied.

"I believe," Brooks continued. "That they are planning for an assault on this base, and probably Moscow. If they take Moscow, they can take Saint Petersburg, or wherever the hell the want to after that." Brooks explained.

"Shut your mouth, Brooks." Colonel Higgins said.

"There was no need for that, Colonel." The General glared at Higgins with his sunken eyes.

"The reason we needed an experienced man like you is because if the rebels decide to stage an assault, we need you to lead a squad just like you used to."

"I see, sir." Norman replied.

"This base is mostly a training facility. There are few officers. All there are left is Me, Colonel Higgins, Lieutenant Brooks, and a few sergeants that train the privates."

"That is all the officers here sir?" Norman asked. He was surprised. No base could usually run itself with so few officers. Norman did not think the Oz Special Forces did not know about it.

"Did the main Oz headquarters know about this sir?" Norman asked again. Clarke looked at him with his old, sunken eyes.

"Of course, most of the officers left with Marquise. Probably off to fight the rebels in space. They left us with more than enough mobile suits, firearms, and equipment. I think they thought we could manage ourselves. Now that you are here, we should stand a chance."

"Sir I hardly-"

"Nonsense, Captain. You are a born warrior, sort of like the old days when I was a child."
The General gave his best effort to grin.

"Tomorrow, Captain, we will introduce you to a squad of well trained privates, which we think are ready for combat. Johnston and Brooks will be joining you. Looks like you will be able to pilot a mobile suit again.

On hearing that term, Norman started to sweat. It had been two years since the... The... Accident. He was now preoccupied thinking about it. He did not want to go near a mobile suit.

"Why don't you and Brooks go over to the pub and relax?" The General suggested kindly. You can get to know eachother better.

"Alright, sir." He knew Clarke could see the sweat on his face.

"Are you all right, Captain?" The General asked him.

"I'm fine, sir, thank you."

The General turned around towards the front of the room. Norman saw Johnston walk up to him.

"You're all right, Captain?" She asked. Although he had known her only for a short time, he appreciated the concern.

"I'll be fine, why don't you get some rest." Johnston smiled and left the room. Higgins approached Norman and looked at him closely. His rounded head seemed unproportional to his body as Norman saw it.

"Your room is in the officer's barracks, 3E, just to the west of here. Your bags have already been taken from the limousine to your room." With that, the Colonel left the room.

"Want to get a drink?" Brooks asked.

"Sure." Norman replied. He was still sweating. They exited the room together and walked toward the pub.

It seemed as if they depended all on him, Norman thought. He did not know how he would do it.