Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mind of the Soldier ❯ Alert ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]



Body





Ivdel, Day 5: Alert

0324 hours

Norman jumped out of bed when he heard the sharp report of a weapon firing. Brooks jumped up as well, and the raced to the door. Norman heard three more shots and then there were some muffled yells of confusion from the halls. Norman and Brooks opened the door and saw confused soldiers in the hallway. The firing had come from within the school.

"All right everyone." Norman said calmly. "Hold tight. Me and Brooks and..." Norman scanned around and saw Kaneko standing among the crowd. "And Kaneko will find out what happened." Kaneko stepped forward. Norman rushed back in the room and put on his vest and grabbed his Glock. The three of them went through the hallway towards the direction of the shots.

Ahead Norman stopped and heard some movement. He froze and held his weapon at ready. That was when a soldier came rushing down the hall, frightened. Norman lowered his weapon and he glanced at Brooks. Brooks had a relieved look on his face. Norman thought he would have shot the man.

"Sir." He said, panting. "The prisoner's escaped."

"Which one?"

"Kent, sir."

"Oh shit." Brooks said.

"Sir." The soldier started again. "I think Rodriguez is dead." Norman did not waste any time. They rushed ahead where the private was leading them.Up ahead was a second body. It was Rodriguez, shot three times in the back. The guard had been killed, and so was Rodriguez. Why Rodriguez? Was he coming to or from the bathroom? Norman knew that Kent would want to kill him. He had testified against him. It was true that Kent had escaped. The door was open, the room empty. The lock was not damaged.

"Motherfucker!" Norman yelled. "He had help! The guard, someone with a key!"

"He probably had help from the UCO." Brooks said. "That guard put out tonight probably was bribed to defect, and to release Kent."

"Fuck!" Norman screamed again. He pounded the wall hard, and then threw his Glock across the hall. He then lowered his head and sighed.

"I-I can't believe this." Norman muttered. Brooks patted him on the back.
"It's okay, Tom. We'll get him." Kaneko was just standing there silently, stunned. So this was the way it was going to be? Norman thought. They were not fighting the enemy, but the enemy within. Themselves. When a soldier kills another of his own order that is the turning point of insanity. Norman knew from now on it would not get any better. The depths of the abyss had opened. All that needed to be put forward was the bait to lure the soul into eternal torture.