Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Moments in Time ❯ Unforgettable ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Unforgettable
Author: Mookie
Pairing: vague hints of 1+2, because I said so
Rating: PG
Challenge: being haunted
Warnings: Spoilers for series and EW, but more importantly, only second attempt by normally verbose author at writing a ficlet.
Dedicated to Merith, cuz this is her fault.




"...it's incredible, that someone so unforgettable thinks that I am unforgettable too..." Nat King Cole

~~~~~

Heero Yuy swore under his breath as his hand slipped and he banged his knuckles against the unyielding gundanium of his mobile suit.

Duo was not going to be pleased with him, but there was nothing that could be done about that.

The other pilot had shot him, only to later help him escape capture. The former he'd understood, but the latter?

Relena Darlian was another mystery. Why had she stood between him and Duo? The girl clearly had a death wish.

He finished tightening the bolt and moved to the keyboard to run a test on the electrical connections. He'd tried to destroy Wing twice, and Duo had thwarted his efforts both times. It was vexing, his inability to completely purge thoughts of either teenager from his mind. Relena's actions made no sense whatsoever. Duo, on the other hand...

Heero wasn't really all that sure about Duo, either, but at least they seemed to be on the same side, if such a thing were possible.

He swore again and repeated the test, realizing he'd wasted a good five minutes remembering how Duo had looked in that loose tank top, the way his braid had twitched behind him when he gave up on Heero and went to bed.

As much of a contrast as there was between Relena and Duo, it seemed there was just as much of one between Duo in his black garb and Duo dressed for bed.

His fingers hesitated over the keyboard. He grudgingly respected Duo for attempting to play the hero. He'd have done the same thing at one time...but that was before. Now he knew better. One couldn't feel sympathy, or empathy, or any tender feelings. He'd been shown the error of his ways. If he'd been less sloppy, less carefree, less giddy, less everything, about that fateful job, then perhaps he'd have taken all variables into consideration and would have realized that the mobile suit had only one direction to fall - before he'd pressed the detonation switch.

So it was his own fault, really, that he'd caused the destruction of that complex, because he'd allowed his enjoyment of the afternoon to impair his judgment.

He clamped his lips together and ran the diagnostic, this time focusing on the results scrolling across the screen.

Damn it, he needed to replace that relay again. He glanced at the dark Gundam he'd already ransacked for parts, and shook off any feelings of guilt. It wasn't his business what Duo's motives were. He'd told Duo he would have his suit ready to go by morning, and he would. His only loyalties were with the mission - one he'd made his own.

J had stopped him from pulling the trigger and had given him a choice. A year ago, Heero had failed that mission, and his choice was to accept the consequences of defeat, stubbornly refusing to deploy the parachute despite Duo's incredulity. Failure required destruction of evidence. Duo knew that as well as he.

Then that girl had screeched his name. Why had he pulled the cord?

Duo had been ready to light into him after that, but he'd still dragged him along, complaining about him all the time, but helping him for the second time that day.

He'd tried to start a conversation several times, but Heero had never felt that idle chatter was worthwhile. It was time for Duo to get a rude awakening to how things worked. You trusted no one, you helped no one - only yourself.

As soon as he'd heard Relena had been kidnapped, his mind immediately turned to the one other person who had been as much of a distraction as she had...as much an enigma, an unsolved puzzle. The other person who seemed just as determined as Relena in figuring out what made Heero tick, but was perhaps far more likely to actually succeed.

As Duo flew the shuttle and Heero allowed his eyes to flutter shut and his body to shut down, his last thought was that not all shades needed to be exorcised.