Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ My Immortal ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: Well, here's another one! Yup. My twisted little mind has come up with another fic! Thanks to Estrange for quite a few of the ideas in this fic! And yes, this is going to have what me and you both saw in it! *laughs* Please enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters of GW. I also do not own the song, "My Immortal", it is owned/performed by Evanescence.

My Immortal

Hilde sighed again as she cleaned her stove. She should have been out there. She should have been doing her job. She was a soldier and yet here she was, sitting comfortably at home doing nothing. But it was too late. Too late for lamenting and too late for regrets. Three years. It was all over now. There was nothing for her to do anymore. She wasn't needed anywhere.

She angrily flung the dish towel away from her. This was her greatest failure yet. It seemed that Fate hadn't dealt her a bad-enough hand years before, every time she picked up a new card to play with, Fate gave her a bad card. Her hand hadn't been one she thought she'd win for a long time now.

She should have listened to herself. She should have followed her instincts. Her heart, damn it! She should have followed her heart! "Damn it," she cursed lightly. After all this time, she was still angry at him, but she was angrier at herself for listening to him. Her hands fisted at her sides until her knuckles were white. She ran her hands over the bandana that covered her head and sighed. She needed to get back to work. Her house needed to be cleaned.

I'm so tired of being here

Suppressed by all of my childish fears

And if you have to leave

I wish you would just leave

Because your presence still lingers here

And it won't leave me alone

Hilde placed one of her hands over her heart. It still ached for him, she still pined for him. She took deep breaths to calm herself. She didn't need to be this upset over something that had happened a while ago. The tears came as unbidden as the heavy rain that started outside.

She looked out the window in wonderment. Rain was very rare on the colonies. It almost never rained. She wiped her tears away, silently wishing he was there to wipe her tears as she'd wiped his when he was in need.

But there was no one left for her, no one left who cared for her. She was alone. She had been left behind by everybody she'd ever cared about. Why couldn't she let it go? Why was she still lingering in the past when she had so many things to think about in the present?

These wounds won't seem to heal

This pain is just too real

There's just too much that time cannot erase

She was in pain. In more pain than any physical wound could ever cause her. She had not found anything that would rid her of her pain.

"It's so unfair," she whispered, tracing little patterns on the foggy window pane. " You were never fair to me, Duo. You thought you were protecting me but you were only thinking of yourself," she said to the empty kitchen.

Hilde wiped her tears away again.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears

And I've held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

She was so in love with him then. She did anything and everything for him during those few short months they were together.

And it all had been for nothing. Nothing! He'd just left her the first chance he got! The first time he got word of a battle he left her.

Hilde pulled lightly at the bandana wrapped around her head. He had left nothing for her. No letter, not a note, not a thing for her. He'd left without a word. She used to think they'd be together forever. She cherished him so damn much at that point. Her heart beat faster again and she placed her hand on top of it.

All of her being had left with the braided man that night.

You used to captivate me

By your resonating light

But now I'm bound by the life you left behind

Your face it haunts my once pleasant dreams

Your voice it chased away all of the sanity in me

His brashness, his confidence and his attitude were what had captured her heart. She'd loved him more than anybody far older than either one could imagine. And now, here she was, dwelling in her memories of him. And it was all she could do and it was all she would ever do.

She was stuck in a part of her life that was long gone, and it had been for years but she wasn't willing to let it go yet. She clung to them like a man adrift at sea would cling to a raft.

These wounds won't seem to heal

This pain is just too real

There's just too much that time cannot erase

There was no one left for her. There was nothing left of her former self. She was the shell of the young woman she had once been. She was sickly thin, her eyes and cheekbones were sunken in. She looked horrible; like death warmed over.

Hilde finally pulled the bandana from it's knot and away from her head. She ran her hands through her short hair and sniffled.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears

And I've held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

She hugged herself and looked out the window again, the rain doing nothing to soothe her emotions anymore.

He'd taken everything and never returned to give it back.

I've tried so hard to tell myself that you're gone

And though you're still with me

I've been alone all along

Hilde didn't fool herself for one second. She knew that Duo had never been hers to keep. He belonged to no one. He was a free spirit and no one could have ever told him where to go or where to stay longer than he was willing to. He was like a bee who flies from flower to flower but never pays special attention to just one.

She was alone now and she had always been alone. Duo had never been more than a passing cloud over her sky. Beautiful to look at for a while but never staying long enough to appreciate.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears

When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears

And I've held your hand through all of these years

But you still have all of me

The rain continued to poor on Hilde's old house. She sighed sadly. Resigned to always being alone, with only her memories of her passing dream.

The End

AN: So? *fidgets nervously* Did you guys like it? Did the song fit? I love this song. Anyway, please R&R. Oh and Estrange, I was going to kill her but then I thought that she had to suffer for the rest of her life so it would really make no sense to kill her. LoL! Is there enough misery for you?