Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a December ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter 4

Dinner was fairly uneventful that night. All around them, other young Preventers who were stationed at the base chattered happily amongst themselves. At Duo's table, however, all had fallen silent. At this time, they all knew they were in for big news after they finished eating, and each of them were busy thinking what it was they were to find out. All of them except Duo, anyway.

Duo ate his meal quietly, glancing every so often in Misha's direction. After several minutes of arguing, it was Quatre and Heero who got to sit on either side of the girl. Duo couldn't help but notice the way Heero kept whispering softly in Misha's ear, making her giggle each time. He scowled in frustration. Misha had only been there one day, and already Heero was moving in on her. He'd probably get her to sleep with him within the week, Duo thought bitterly. He still hadn't even had any time alone with her.

To his left, Trowa sat staring at his plate without expression. Quatre looked up from his meal, his brow furrowed with concern. "Is everything all right, Trowa?" he eventually asked.

Trowa looked up. "Oh yeah, I was just thinking, Quatre. About my sister…" he answered quietly. Quatre tilted his head knowingly. His small hand reached across and rested upon his taller friend's. "What about Catherine?" Quatre asked. All of them knew that Trowa didn't really know whom his family was, having lost all memory of them while very young. He had met Catherine at the circus and she had become sort of a surrogate sister/mother for the boy. Trowa longed with all his heart to find out who he really was, who his family truly was, and had let himself believe that, since Catherine had lost a brother when she was young, that she really could be his sister. Quatre, being the caring friend that he was, never pushed the issue when Trowa absently referred to her as his such.

Trowa looked at Quatre and surprised him when he said, "No, I mean my real sister, or brother for that matter. My parents too. I still don't really know anything." Quatre's smile slipped from his face at this. Trowa had never been so forward when referring to his lack of family ties.

Misha glanced towards Trowa, overhearing his sad words. "Trowa," she said, "I remember my family, and let me tell you I am no better off for it. I lost them all, even my twin, and I have to bear that pain every day. You learn eventually that your `real family' is who you make it." With that, Misha rose from her seat and took her plate to the dining hall counter.

*********

After dinner , the six teens congregated in Dr. J's office. Dr. Kamina was also there. After proper introductions, Dr. J began.

"Well, how has your first day been, Mikhaila?" he asked. "Fine , thank you, sir," she replied. Dr. J nodded. To the rest of the group he said, "As you may or may not have come to realize, Mikhaila has some very specialized training. It many respects she is a different soldier than any of you, but in one respect you are all very much alike."

The group looked at him, curiosity piqued. Misha lowered her eyes. Heero was eyeing her intensely with his deep blue eyes. Then, Dr. J went on to throw the unexpected at them. "That respect is… Gundam."

All eyes turned immediately on Misha, who smiled meekly for lack of anything better to do. "But how can that be?" Quatre asked. "The Gundams were all destroyed! My Sandrock… I did it myself! This isn't possible!"

Misha stood. "What was the primary purpose of the Gundams?" Everyone looked kind of at a loss for words, as they had been through so much with their specialized mobile suits, it was difficult to pinpoint a single purpose. Duo sucked in his breath.

"Peace," he said. Misha's eyes sparkled. "Yes, peace. And now that the war has ended for good, we are working towards that peace for the first time. My Gundam is going to be the first of its kind! It will truly be part of bringing and keeping the peace we all seek!" she waved her hands passionately as she spoke.

"Wait, your Gundam?!" Wufei retorted. "Where did you acquire such a thing?" Dr. Kamina interjected then. "We built it," she said matter-of-factly.

Heero nodded in understanding. "You built a Gundam free of arms, for the purpose of helping in building and maintaining the peace."

Misha nodded. "It will help in rebuilding destroyed lands, rescuing those in need, supplying the necessities of life to those less fortunate… it will truly become what a Gundam was supposed to become- that all-encompassing symbol of true peace!"

Quatre stood and took Misha's hands in his. "This is wonderful news. It will work, for sure!" His eyes glistened briefly before he threw his arms around Misha in a great big hug.

"Forgive me, I just think that this is what I've been waiting for, ever since I first sat in the cockpit of my Sandrock," he continued, the tears now falling freely. Misha noticed she'd begun crying too. They understand!

Duo rose to his feet as well, emotion welling up in his chest, almost choking him. Wow… Gundams to keep the peace…this is really something! He walked over to where Quatre and Misha stood embraced, and he put his arms around the both of them. "This is great news. I can't wait to get started!"

Everyone stood and started talking at once about all the things they would do with new, unarmed Gundams. The possibilities for doing good were truly endless. It would redeem the colonies, the Earth, their souls.

As the commotion boiled down, Dr. J and Dr. Kamina asked them all to be seated. They went on to explain the specs for Misha's peacekeeping Gundam, the Seraphim. They were also informed that once construction was approved, they would each receive their own similar Gundam.

"However, until such time as we can get Preventer approval of this immense undertaking, I must ask that we must keep this a secret. That means you are not to discuss this once you have left this room," Dr. Kamina interjected firmly.

"Understood," the six soon-to-be pilots acknowledged. After a few more minutes of discussion, the meeting was finished, and all were dismissed.

With great excitement and a renewed sense of duty, the six of them retreated back to the rec room to relax before it was time for lights out.