Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Shattered Moments ❯ Space Horses ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


DISCLAIMER: I Don't own GW!!!!!!!!!!!! But, and that's a BIG but, I do feel like I have the right to make Kid's and Odin's personality mine. Though technically it's Bandai and Sunrise that made them up (Heero Yuy and Odin Lowe), I think I gave them something they didn't and so this thing belongs to me. If you disagree, then sue me! I don't care; I don't have any money anyway... BWAHHAHAHA!!!

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Just another 'fill-in' to SM. It takes place at the first part of the story, while Kid is still four years old.

Enjoy!

Naomi


SPACE HORSES

* * *

AC 184.

Odin looked up from his work and frowned. He closed his eyes tight, reaching up a hand to take his reading glasses off and rub the bridge of his nose. He took a deep breath and looked back at his laptop.

"The man who invented paperwork should be damned and sent to Exile Island..." He muttered, picking up his pen and scribbled down a few notes.

It was a quiet evening and the assassin was sitting by the coffee table, working on his laptop, erasing all traces of him ever existing in this colony. It was something he always did before he was he was about to leave, on to his next 'job'. He hated this part of his job. Hacking into government computers and such was not as exciting as it's cracked up to be.

He sighed again and stretched his arms, groaning as cramped muscles found release. Well, at least he had some company. He thought to himself, looking down at the four-year-old that sat on the floor across from him. Odin smiled to himself, always contented by the thought of having this little silent company while he worked.

He turned back to the monitor, scowling at it. He continued to work.

A small sigh of frustration made the blond look up again. His eyes rested on the four-year-old boy who was now sitting in front of a big pile of junk: matchboxes, cigarette boxes, bottle caps, soda cans, tooth picks, plastic cups, etc. The boy seemed to have managed to collect a lot of this 'junk', making it his only playthings, other than his trusty ragged pillow. He would always build things with this stuff. He had quite a sense of invention, making cars out of cigarette boxes by attaching four bottle caps to them, making people out of tooth pick and foamed plastic and so on and so on.

Odin got up and went to sit by the upset boy.

The child looked up at him with sad blue puppy eyes, a little sad pout on his face. "My castle broke..." He whispered sadly, gesturing at the scattered remains.

Odin gave him a sympathetic look, picking up a matchbox. "Well," He let out cheerfully. "Lets see what we can do to fix that."

Kid sighed sadly, his fingers playing with a bottle cap. "Doesn't matter, it's stupid anyway." He threw the cap aside.

Odin frowned, a bit worried to see such a grim attitude coming out of a little boy. "Why is that?" He asked seriously, concerned.

Kid shrugged, looking up at him with his deep expressive eyes. "What good is a castle, if there are no knights in it?" He looked away sadly, his hand drawing his pillow closer to him. "I used to have lots of knights..."

Odin looked at him lengthily, lost for words. For almost a year the boy played with nothing but this junk he collected. He had never thought about buying the boy toys, its just isn't him. Cloths, yeah, sure, he needed to wear something. But toys? C'mon! He just couldn't see himself walking into a toy store with a little kid bouncing around him. Not that Kid ever did bounce, but still- That's just too weird for him.

But the boy was only four. Four-year-olds needed toys. They needed to play in order to develop. He had more than enough money, so... why didn't he realize this any sooner?

"Well, um..." He picked up a few more objects, putting them a top of each other, trying to build a wall.

Kid turned to look at him, more than a little surprised at his actions.

"First we build the castle, then we'll worry about the knights, kay?"

The boy seemed to consider this for a while, looking deep in thought. He nodded slightly. "Okay." He sighed. "But you're doing it wrong." He reached for the pieces Odin picked up, arranging them differently. "This part goes over here..."

* * *

Odin exited the travel agency, holding two flight tickets in his hand. As he stood there and put them into the inner pocket of his jacket, his eyes surveyed the small mall. A sly smile spread on his lips as his eyes fell on a giant toy store. He tapped the large stack of money that was stashed in his coat pocket and marched towards the store.

Once inside he was faced with all of the toy variety AC 184 had to offer. And it was A LOT!

He walked around the store, a lost expression on his face. All around little rascals ran, their mommies trying to catch up with them as they bounced from one toy to another, nagging, begging, annoying and screaming that they want this and that, and 'oh mommy please!' and 'oh why not?!!'.

Odin shivered. Disgusting! Thank God his Kid wasn't like that. He stopped, frowning. His Kid? Since when does he refer to the brat as his Kid?

Odin sighed, shaking his head. "You're getting soft on me, Lowe?" He chuckled lightly. How could he not, with the most adorable and silent little angel keeping him company all the time? The boy was way too cute to resist. "Damn him..." Lowe muttered.

He stopped again in the large pass way between aisles, completely lost about what to get the boy. What did he play with when he was four? Who the hell remembers! Cowboys and Indians, he liked those. Cars... yeah, he played with cars. Pirates, that too. Would Kid like that? He seemed into building things, more than anything. But maybe it's just a phase or something. He will certainly not be coming back here each and every 'phase' to buy the boy more toys!

Then his eyes rested on something new, but familiar. A large red box of Lego® bricks. The assassin smiled to himself as he picked up the box. These will do just fine. Kid can build anything with this. He looked up at the entire aisle of Lego® products and frowned - There were so many!

He rolled his shopping cart into the aisle and looked around. Giant Middle Ages Castle sets, that's good. He took that. Kid would love this, its got knights, dragons and everything. Oh! Pirates! Everybody loved to play with pirates. And oh great Lord: Cowboys and Indians! He's gotta have that. And the urban sets: police stations and airports and cars and houses, hospitals, fire station, train stations, space ports... Gotta have that. And Space Lego®! Space ships and robots, Mobile Suits and shuttles and even a colony- how thoughtful of them...

People watched in amusement as the blond man kept stacking up piles of Lego® in his cart, smiling and talking to himself. A ridicules picture, yes, but they just didn't know that each time he picked up a box he could just see those big blue eyes dance happily and hear that rare and precious joyful laughter. They didn't know that all these boxes of plastic cubes are going to the most precious little thing Odin Lowe had ever had.

When finally done 'shopping', spending almost $10,000 dollars (and almost making the cashier lady faint), Odin drove home happy, but with a determination to never EVER do this again!

* * *

Odin opened the door to their new apartment, dropping the heavy bags to his feet. Little Kid came up from behind him and stood by his side, examining his new home. He frowned as his eyes studied the cheap furniture, the bear walls with the paint pilling off them and there was a bad smell in the air.

He turned back to his caretaker, sulking. "I liked the old one better."

Odin sighed, moving the bags into the house. "Well, this is an L6 colony, not known for their great housing facilities. Sorry Kid."

The boy shrugged, turning back to study the living room.

"Do you wanna pick your room first, or is it my turn?"

The boy turned to him, grinning at the familiar game. It didn't matter who chose first, Kid always got the better room. "You picked last time. My turn!"

Odin smiled at his retreating form as the little boy ran down the corridor, to check out the two bedrooms. He turned to close the door behind him and then walked over to the boy's bag. He prepared to lift it, when suddenly Kid came running out the corridor.

"Odin! Odin!! Koi!!" (=Come here!) He nearly collided with the blond's body as he came in running and began to pull the man's shirt. "You gotta come! You gotta see this!!" Not even waiting for a response, Kid pulled Odin with his to one of the bedrooms.

Odin just grinned, enjoying the boy's enthusiasm.

Kid stopped at the doorway and pointed forward at the room. There was only a small bed, a small closet and a nightstand to furnish the room. A big window was at the wall across of the door, on looking a small park by the apartment building. But it wasn't the view that excited the little boy. It was the floor-to-ceiling stacks of boxes that lay in the far corner of the room. Lego® boxes from all types and sizes.

Odin smiled, his mission accomplished. He looked down at the stunned boy and smiled. He was right, his expression was priceless. He reached a hand and petted the boy's head.

Kid turned to look up at him with his big eyes, his right index finger resting in his mouth, something he always did when uncertain of himself. "Where did all this come from?"

Odin shrugged, a gleeful look on his features. "Beats me. Must be magic."

Kid made a face, not a little bit amused. He planted two hands on his hips and scowled at Odin. "Well, don't we have to bring it back to the people that forgot this here?"

Odin walked deeper into the room, towards the pile. Kid followed, waiting for the answer. Odin picked up a box, examining it from both sides.

"Well, don't we?" The boy insisted quietly.

Odin smiled. "Hey Kid, finders keepers, losers weepers."

Kid made another face, dropping his arm back to his side and just gaped at Odin. "Huh?!"

Odin chuckled. "It means no, we can keep it."

"So it's ours?"

Odin smiled at the shock and disbelief in Kid's voice. He threw him the package. "Nope. It's yours."

Kid caught the box. "Mine?!" He looked down at the box in his hand. It had knights in it! And a dragon and a castle too! He looked up happily at Odin. "Then I want this room!"

Odin chuckled again. "I just bet you do, Kid..." He ruffled the boy's hair affectionately as he exited the room, a smile on his face. It was kinda nice to play Santa. Especially if the child in question was his Kid.

* * *

Many nights later, Odin stumbled back to his and Kid's apartment, rubbing his aching temples. He clumsily opened the door and walked into the dark apartment. He stood at the doorway and frowned. Usually when he would come back home he would find Kid lying on the sofa, hugging his pillow closely, sleeping. Usually the TV would be open, the volume high as it helped the boy calm his fears when Odin was gone. But tonight, Kid wasn't there, though the TV was on, again to fill the silent apartment with comforting noise.

Odin sighed and locked the door behind him. He really felt like seeing Kid now. The mission he just had... it was even too awful to think about. He had killed a man right in front of his wife and son. The cry the little boy had given once his father fell dead to the ground still rang in Lowe's ears. It was the most terrified and unnerving scream he had ever heard.

Odin shuddered, walking in to Kid's small room. The bed was empty.

The blond's eyes widened in fear when he could not see Kid around. He turned on the light and ran into the room, looking around. Kid was nowhere in the room.

"Oh shit..." He muttered under his breath, then inhaled deeply. "Okay now, calm down Lowe, calm down..." He closed the light and rushed out of the room.

Running into his own bedroom, Odin froze and gaped at his bed.

Resting on the king sized bed, was the body of a little four-year-old, hugging his pillow as he slept peacefully.

Odin smiled tiredly at the warming sight. The boy must have missed him while he was gone for three days and decided to sleep in his bed. How sweet...

Odin closed the light and walked over to the bed. He sat on the 'his' side of the bed and took off his shoes.

After a long, warm and relaxing shower, Odin went back to the bed and smiled as he saw Kid had turned in his sleep and was now facing him and not the door. He had his little finger close to his slightly open mouth, but not in it. His other little hand still lay around his small pillow.

Still having the terrible image of the screaming boy in his head, Odin settled into the covers and just lay there, looking at the boy. He reached out a hand to caress the child's soft cheek, causing him to smile.

Odin smiled back at the little angel, running his hand gently against the tender skin.

Cobalt blue eyes fluttered open and Kid stared at the blond man who was petting him softly. He brought the pillow closer to him and smiled shyly at the man.

"Hey there boy." Odin whispered, not wanting to break the almost serene moment with a loud voice.

Kid's smile broadened as he realized he was not dreaming. "Odin! You're back!" He called happily.

Odin chuckled, but did not say another thing.

Kid studied the look on Odin's face. Other than looking tired, he could tell something was wrong. Odin's eyes were different somehow. He wasn't sure though, it was dark. As Odin kept silent for a long while, Kid feared that maybe he was mad at him for sleeping in his bed. He prepared to get up but Odin's hand stopped him, grabbing his hand lightly.

"Don't go." He whispered hoarsely, voice begging. "You can sleep here tonight."

Kid nodded and settled back into the covers. He examined Odin's features for a long while, until it hit him. "Why are you sad, Odin?"

Odin took a moment to just stare at the boy, wondering how obvious was his demeanor. He turned to lie on his back, gaze at the ceiling. He sighed. "It's nothing, Kid. Really."

Kid pouted, unhappy with the evading reply. He turned on his side and pushed himself up a little, supporting his upper body with one hand. He looked down at Odin. "Don't be sad, Odin."

The man did not move or speak and Kid slumped back onto the bed. He tried to think of a way to cheer up his caretaker. He looked back up at him, eyes sparkling. "You know what I did today?"

Odin turned to look at the boy, a weak smile playing on his lips.

"I built a giant castle! But it wasn't a normal castle, it's a space castle!"

Odin's smile broadened at the little enthusiastic voice.

"And it has knights in it, and horses and spaceships and they all fly!"

"Flying horses, huh?"

"Aa." Kid confirmed happily but then suddenly pouted. "But I'm not sure if they need spacesuits. Do horses need spacesuits too, Odin?"

The assassin almost laughed, turning his head to face the ceiling. "Nah... There's this kind of horses, called 'space horses', they don't need spacesuits."

Kid frowned, in deep thought. "You're lying."

Odin chuckled and turned to the boy. "No, I'm serious. They fly in space, from colony to colony, trailing the space shuttles. It's like a game for them."

"Not true!" The child protested, though he was amused. "There's no such thing!"

Odin ignored him. "And they have silver wings and skin that shines in the most beautiful display of colors as they race through the heavens..." He turned to the boy. "And they can talk."

Kid giggled at Odin's silly story. "Baka." He stated, still giggling. "There's no such thing."

"Sure there is!"

"Then how come I've never seen any? We've been in a LOT of space shuttles, and I've never EVER seen any space horses!"

"That's because you weren't looking for them." The blond answered simply, then yawned.

Kid giggled again, which soon turned into a small laugh. "There's no such thing!"

Odin smiled down at those lively blue-laughing eyes. He yawned again. "Next time we fly, try to look for them." He turned to lie on his side, facing the boy. He buried himself into the covers, pulling them up to his neck. He closed his eyes and was fast asleep, smiling.

"Space horses..." Kid muttered quietly, shaking his head. "Baka..." And then he too snuggled back into the warm blanket, putting one arm around his silly caretaker.

* * *

Kid looked out of the shuttle's window and encountered nothing but light-years of empty space. He sighed and turned his head to face the blond man that sat beside him. Odin was sitting silently, wearing his fashioned reading glasses, as he read a book. Kid sighed again and pushed himself up to sit on his knees. He put two hands on the top of his seat, and turned to look at the rows of people sitting in the shuttle.

Since it was a really long flight, the lights were off so people could sleep. Some private lights were on as people busied themselves with books like Odin, and some were up watching the stupid movie that played on the private screens. Other than that, the shuttle was dark and quiet.

Kid sighed again. What a long and boring flight!

He turned and slumped back down to his seat, folding his arms across his chest, pouting. He glared at the seat in front of him as if it will cringe and will give him some form of entertainment. But the seat was stubborn. Kid sighed again.

Suddenly he felt Odin lean closer to him as he looked over to the window.

Kid was almost squashed against the back of his seat as the blond neared the window, grinning.

The boy turned his look at the window, wondering what was so interesting outside. "What is it? What do you see there?"

"Shh..." The man silenced him softly.

Kid brought his head closer to the window, curious. "What's out there?" He whispered.

Odin smiled. "Can't you see them?"

"See who?"

"Look." He pointed out the window, reaching a second hand to bring the boy closer.

Kid leaned against Odin, peering out the window. He saw nothing but blackness. "There's nothing there, Odin."

"Wait for it." The assassin whispered, backing away a little to give the boy more room.

The child sighed, a little annoyed, but since he had nothing better to do, he played along. Was Odin going to show him 'Space horses'? He wasn't stupid. He knew they didn't exist. He stared at the empty space for a while, and was just about to give up and glare at Odin, when he saw it.

In the distance came a faint glow. It seemed to be coming from underneath the shuttle. Kid smiled a little, fascinated by the phenomenon. He got up to sit on his knees, trying to get a better view of what was bellow the shuttle.

The glow was getting brighter now and was taking a heavenly shade of blue. Kid gasped as he pressed his face against the window, hands also pressed against the wall as he raised himself higher, wanting to see more.

Odin smiled at the boy's reaction and amazement.

"Is this it?" Kid whispered in awe, still pressed against the window. "Is this them?"

Odin smiled. "Just wait a few more seconds."

He kept watching the boy for a few moments more, smiling broadly as the boy suddenly gasped in surprise, his eyes widening as if he had just seen the most beautiful sight his young blue eyes had ever encountered. And maybe it was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen, for underneath the shuttle, before Kid's very eyes, the Earth appeared in all its life and beauty.

"Wow..." Kid let out, all other words to help him describe this sight just slipping out of his mind.

Odin smiled again, reaching a hand to pet the child's stunned features.

Kid turned to him, his eyes dancing. "This is it, isn't it? The Earth."

Odin nodded to confirm.

Kid turned back to the window, wanting to indulge his eyes further in the sight. The beautiful blue sphere reflected in the child's eyes as it rose higher and higher, exposing its entire round shape to the boy's eyes.

Kid smiled at the large jewel, glad he didn't fall asleep like the other people and that he could see the Earth rise like that. It was better than any 'space horses'... Kid snorted softly. Space horses! He knew that there was no such thing!

He felt Odin lean over his shoulder again and turned his head around to face him.

Odin looked down at the boy, smiling warmly. He raised a finger and pointed at the window. "Watch."

Kid turned to look at the Earth again, curious as to what Odin was pointing at now. His eyes widened.

Far in the distance, almost touching the Earth, were silvery glistering spots, dancing gracefully around the Earth. Each spot was rotating around itself and a few other spots. Each spot had shiny silver wings, spread out wide, and together, all of the spots seemed to be dancing in a giant circle around the blue sphere of life.

Kid gasped, looking up at Odin. "Space... horses..?"

Odin smiled, but kept silent. He rested his hand on the boy's chin and turned him back to face the window.

The child kept watching with shimmering eyes as the slivery space horses danced around the Earth, spinning and turning in a merry dance.


OWARI.

In case you're wondering, the Space horses are satellites… But don't tell Kid! He'll be sad…

Naomi


Back.