Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Waves of Influence ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own much more than my manga collection (which does include 2 volumes of GW!!) XD
 
Prologue
 

June 30th, AC 202
The two teenagers watched in shock as the building erupted into a fiery hell. Both had seen the two Gundam pilots who had attacked the Prime Minister, and now they worried about the fates of the heroes. “Do you think they're alright, Gin?” the young woman asked the man next to her.
The young teen looked at her. “I don't know, Kin, but I don't think that they would just go out like that,” he said. Kin wrapped her arms around him.
“I'm afraid, Gin. I'm afraid the world's going to fall apart.”
 
----------
 
October 17th, AC 203
Hotaru swam deeper into the tank's branches. Unknown to many citizens of Sanctuary, the Angels could access almost every space inside the exterior of the colony, and down here, Hotaru had almost complete control of this sector. None of the other Angels would disturb her here in the secondary tank. Duo had made this place especially for her where she could look out at the stars. Here she could watch time in peaceful silence.
The silver-haired Angel slowed until she simply floated in the translucent liquid. She allowed her abilities to shift her surroundings, gently entering the realm of time. She watched the effects of important people ripple across the water-like surface she knew as time and history. The ripples caused by the three remaining Gundam pilots were small, almost insignificant. Three larger wrinkles ripped across time. She got `closer' to the waves and noticed that one was actually two. They had nearly merged into one. She made a mental note to continue watching this particular pair of influences.
 
-----------
 
July 21st, AC 203
Heero walked into the empty house. It had been over a year since the owner had died, and no one had entered the building in nearly eight months. The Japanese man had avoided coming here since Duo's death, but pressure had forced him here today. He allowed the door to close behind him, but before it closed completely, he heard someone stop it.
“I'm surprised to see you here, Heero.”
The Japanese man turned to look at the speaker. “Ran, what do you want?”
The woman looked hurt. “That's mean…”
“I want to be alone,” Heero said, frowning. Ran shrugged.
“Duo's not coming back. Even if he survived, I doubt he'd willingly place himself under anyone's control. He would never put himself into any situation in which he had no control. Not after the project and especially not after the time he spent in her control during the standoff last year.”
Instantly Heero's interest was peaked. “Her? Who is she?”
Ran shrugged again. “Everyone on this colony swore not to speak her name or ever discuss what she did to us. Even me. Milliardo as well.” She turned to walk out the door. “Perhaps though, Duo planned for all of this to happen and left… clues for you to continue the work he left behind.” The captain left.
Heero turned back to the interior of the house. Duo had left `clues' to something that had caused an entire colony to swear never to talk about it. Heero wondered just what exactly it was, and he knew somewhere in the chaos that Duo had surrounded himself in hid clues to the mystery. He picked up a book and began to read.
 
----------
 
August 1st, AC 203
“You've been spending a lot of time on Sanctuary, Heero,” Relena said, sitting down next to the man. “I would have expected you to want nothing to do with the colony that held you hostage for over half a year.”
“People change, Relena,” Heero replied. He wanted to be left alone tonight. He had found that most of the books in Duo's house had been modified to hold various portable computer drives. The deceased pilot had been a master at hacking and had built an even better encryption program. For the past three hours, after moving the files from the jump drives onto his laptop, Heero had tirelessly tried breaking through the strongest barrier he'd ever faced. Duo had built thirteen tightly secure levels, plus the barrier, and Heero was getting the impression that he was going absolutely nowhere by trying to hack into the system. Sighing, Heero gently closed the laptop. “What do you need, Relena?” he demanded.
Relena frowned. “That is not the way to speak to a woman, Heero. I thought you'd treat me with more respect now that that bastard was gone.”
“Who would this `bastard' be?”
Relena's eyes darkened suddenly. “He's no one.” She stood up and left. Heero watched her retreating back. The Prime Minister disappeared into the crowd.
A couple of minutes later, Quatre sat down at Heero's table. “Miss Relena looked angry about something,” the blonde said calmly. “I wonder what it was about…”
Heero allowed a small smirk to cross his face. “I wonder…” he trailed off. He opened the laptop again. He heard Quatre move his chair to look at the screen.
“An encryption program? It looks pretty advanced…” Quatre glanced at Heero. “I must know where you found something like this? Especially if you're having trouble with it.”
“Duo made it,” Heero said simply. “Seems he left some important information about Sanctuary behind.”
“Sanctuary? I hope the captains are doing well.”
Heero nodded unconsciously. “He must not have wanted many people getting into the system, though. The security's tight.”
Heero noticed movement coming towards them from over the laptop. He closed it slightly again; he didn't want anyone seeing what he was doing. Two young people stopped at the table. “You two must be Heero Yuy and Quatre Winner. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Ukitake Kin, and this is my brother Gin,” the woman said.
Quatre stood up. “I've heard about the Ukitake siblings. You work on L2, improving the conditions. I've been planning to send more supplies to those colonies.”
The woman smiled softly. “The jobs your company has brought to L2 had done far more in the past six years than we have in less than a year.”
Quatre thanked her for her compliment. The Ukitake brother sat down next to Heero. “I have something for you, Heero Yuy.” He placed a jump drive on the table.
The Japanese pilot glared at him as Heero reached across the table to grab the small portable drive. “What is this?”
Gin stood up. He motioned for his sister to follow him. Kin said her farewells to Quatre and Heero, and the two siblings vanished into the mass of politicians, businessmen, organizational leaders, and other influential people. Quatre looked at Heero. “What did he give you?”
“I don't know,” Heero said, connecting the jump drive to his laptop. The computer automatically transferred the files onto the hard drive. A program started immediately. Heero, caught off guard, desperately tried to stop the rampaging program. He seemed to succeed until the encryption program suddenly popped up. A log-in box appeared, and the username and password blanks filled themselves in at an impossible speed. The box disappeared.
“Password accepted,” an animated voice said. “Welcome back, Shinigami. The barrier has been lifted. The necessary files have been uploaded into the hard drive. Please enter the correct password to disable the first level of security.” Heero minimized the encryption program and opened his personal files. He was surprised to find a new folder. Clicking on it, it opened, revealing about a dozen documents. Heero opened the first one titled “ESUN 2-19-197”.
 
Date: February 2nd, AC 197
Sender: Vice Foreign Minister Relena Peacecraft
Recipient: Doctor Dominique Sohma
Topic: New technologies
 
I want an update on the project. I've invested too much into this for it to fail.
 
 
The two pilots were alarmed at the document, and Heero quickly selected the next file.
 
Date: February 7th, AC 207
Sender: Doctor Dominique Sohma
Recipient: Vice Foreign Minister Relena Peacecraft
Topic: Re: New Technologies
 
The project is going well. Tests have been planned for the next month.
 
 
“We should look at the rest of the files in a secure location,” Quatre whispered. Heero nodded and closed the laptop. The two pilots stood up. Both of them knew that Duo had left behind evidence of something that could destroy the ESUN.
 
----------
 
Hotaru felt the sudden surge of influence coming from L2 and L5. The waves were sharp and strangely familiar. She recognized who was causing the ripples. A smile crossed her lips. “There you two are….”