Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Wayward Souls ❯ Entry 6: Like a Little Wind-Up Doll ( Chapter 6 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Wayward Souls

Entry 6: Like a Little Wind-Up Doll

(Duo)

The heroin was the same as the blow, just as potent, but instantaneous. It was all so simple too. All you had to do was boil the brown powder with the white citric acid powder in water and suck it up into the syringe, not too much and not too little, and when it was safely within the fragile glass tube, you just found a vein and forced the chemical into your bloodstream. It was so easy, just like back in the war when we had to inject ourselves with whatever anaesthetic we had managed to steal just so we could stitch ourselves up and god but the heroine was just as quick. It took literally mere seconds to hit me, not like the cocaine; with heroine, I didn’t have to wait.

And the euphoria was pure and utter bliss. For what must have been hours, I just laid in the middle of the room, sprawled out next to a withering candle flame on the thread-bare, disgusting gray carpeting the motel called clean and sanitary. The world moved around me as though I was stuck, lying completely still. And wouldn’t it be wonderful if that were true?

I’d never have to see him again or listen to his voice, the one that gave me shivers, spouting vulgar obscenities at me. I’d never have to feel him rip me apart inside as if I was no more than a waste of tissue paper, to crumple and tear and finally be tossed away like the vile trash I was. He acted like it was some kind of chore to fuck me, like I was some kind of nasty job he’d been assigned to do. And he’d just wash the filth that was me from his hands when he was finished each shift.

I would have spat or laughed or maybe puked if I could have even moved at all. And in the wake of my drug-addled mind, Randy came for me. It was pleasant just like all the other times he’d taken me had been. I couldn’t recall how many times it had been now in just over a week's time. It probably didn’t help that for more than half of those times I’d been high, too high to really remember. Between him and my regular customers it was hard to decipher between the fogged glimpses of memory who was who.

It was calm with Randy though, always calm, almost serene like. It didn’t hurt, not like with Heero. It was soft and always warm, always passionate, like a lover should be. I wasn’t an idiot; I knew what was happening, in fact, I’d known it from the start, Randy, my drug dealer, my fucking knight in shining armour was falling for me. Or, really, I guess he already had. And wasn’t I some kind of cad for letting him? After all, I was in love with a sadistic psychopath and why couldn’t I have fallen for the blond instead? How fitting it would all be, the dealer and his whore living happily ever after.

I chuckled dazedly from the confines of the blond man’s toned arms, dark thoughts fluttering within my mind. It would be so easy to close my eyes and drift away trapped willingly in his embrace. It was warm and oh so safe, just right for an escape. I drifted groggily, imagining what Heero would think of Randy. He’d probably laugh and break his neck for touching and daring to love what was his. And wasn’t I? I was like some kind of toy, like a little wind-up doll and Heero had the key. He wound me up so tight before watching me dance before his eyes. How incredibly childish.

As I lie awake, but not, nestled in Randy’s arms, a thought surfaced in my brain; Relena’s party was only days away. I couldn’t comprehend in my half-sleep just how I had managed to miss its approach. I smiled lazily, another idea stemming from the first. Relena had always told me that I could invite a date when she’d thrown these little parties in the past, not that I had ever gone, let alone used the offer to my advantage. But this time would be so different; I would be attending this get together and this time I had someone to invite.

Wouldn’t Relena be so pleased to see that I had met someone? I’d been alone so long after all. And hadn’t she once said that it was a shame that she and I hadn’t fallen for each other? It was true of course; we had both fallen for one man, a certain Heero Yuy and wouldn`t it have been better for us both if we hadn`t fallen for him at all?

My smile broadened as I thought of what it would be like to bring Randy with me to the party. Relena would be so happy, of that I was certain, but Heero would be furious and he wouldn’t be able to say a thing. He couldn’t, not without having to explain himself to everyone. I grinned. It was perfect and why hadn’t I thought of it before?

Randy stirred next to me, his arms tightening, pulling me closer as he inhaled a deep breath. How simple it should be to fall in love with this man, but my heart refused to let go of the one that had come before him. The handsome blond made a sleepy noise and I couldn’t help but smile. It was too adorable of a sound for grown man to make, even in his sleep. Seconds later, his breathing pattern changed just the slightest and I knew he was awake.

“What are you doing up?” his drowsy inquiry was rough and husky with the evidence of slumber. I ran a long finger down his smooth chest lightly, admiring the sharp contrast of his tan skin and my own pale white flesh.

“Will you come with me to a party for a friend?” I asked invitingly, not answering his question directly. He looked immediately awake and astonished. Apparently, he hadn’t been expecting such an invitation in reply to his sleepy questioning. I smiled, refusing to acknowledge the fact that Randy really had no clue just who I'd been in the past, just whom I was acquainted with.

“I guess so. I didn’t think you’d want me ‘round when we weren’t doin’ this kinda thing,” he answered quietly, which only served to cement my earlier realization that Randy was in love with me. He looked like I’d just given him some kind of precious gift or something. And I felt guilty and elated all at once. He didn't even know what he was getting himself into, who I really was. And I didn't even know if I was ready or willing to tell him yet, even if he did have the right to know.

I laid my head back onto his chest, his fingers in my hair again, like they always were and I drew lazy circles on the bare skin of his chest as I let my mind drift again. Wouldn't it be so exciting to spite Heero this way? I smiled dreamily and closed my eyes, sleep difinitely creeping up on me. Randy sighed contentedly, chest rising and falling easily as he faded into slumber once more. I didn't take so long to join him either, now that I had set my plan into motion. And shouldn't I feel worse about using the handsome blond?

I sighed and fell into a deeper sleep, forgetting about everything for the moment, my mind too tired to even dream.

************

The two days following the night I invited Randy to Relena's party were hectic at best. Randy was there everyday, helping me pack and packing his own things. He'd sold off whatever drugs he'd had leftover from his last pick up and he'd went out and bought me a new outfit just for the party. I felt bad, like I was taking advantage of him and I told him so, but he didn't want to hear it; he said he was glad to do it.

Finally the day to leave for Relena's party came and I could almost pretend that Randy was a real boyfriend, like he wasn't my drug dealer, like I wasn't a whore. It was kind of nice to play make believe. I slept during the entire ride there. Randy drove. He shook me awake when we were close.

“Hm? What's the matter?” I murmured, half asleep still. Randy's face looked a little panicked.

“Just what kind of party is this exactly?” he asked, gesturing to the gigantic, overly-luxurious mansion homes we were now passing, growing ever closer to Relena and Heero's home. I smiled a little.

“Well, the friend I mentioned is sort of an important person,” I replied, shrugging one shoulder. Randy raised his eyebrows.

“How important?”

“The Vice Foreign Minister.”

“Are you shitting me? Vice Foreign Minister Relena Darlian-Peacecraft?” He looked incredulous.

“One and the same. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. I forget that she's so important sometimes.” It was a lie, but if Randy knew that, he didn't say anything about it.

“Angel, who are you?”

“Forgotten.”

He looked at me with sadness in his jade eyes. I sighed before speaking more. He deserved an answer. Heaven knew what kind of questions he would be asked at the party.

“Do you think you can forget about what I do now just for a little while?” I asked quietly; Randy nodded. I nodded at him, “Duo Maxwell, former Gundam Pilot of Deathscythe and Deathscythe Hell, Self-proclaimed Shinigami, and savior of the United Earth Sphere,” I introduced, looking away from him.

He pulled over abruptly. “What?”

“I'm sorry Randy.”

“Why didn't you tell me? Scratch that, why are you living like this?” he questioned, referring to my rather inappropriate lifestyle.

“I didn't want to be a hero anymore.”

He looked confused.

“I could have been in the Preventers, but I didn't want to kill anymore. Don't get me wrong; I didn't want this either, but I don't have any background. Being a Gundam Pilot doesn't really make a resume and I don't even know my real name. Plus I'm from L2. Who'd hire me?”

“I guess, but what about the other pilots? Couldn't you have gone to them? Isn't there some kind of code for comrades or something?”

I snorted, “Wufei wanted me to join the Preventers, Quatre offered me numerous jobs, but I didn't want charity, Trowa is a circus preformer, and they don't know about what I do now. I kind of grew out of touch with them since I move around so much.”

“What about the last one? There were five of you weren't there?”

I nodded, “Yeah, Heero, he's the last one. He knows about me.”

Randy looked thoughtful. “He's the one who hurt you, isn't he?” I blinked at him. Was it so obvious?

“He's complicated.”

“Bullshit.”

“Let's just drop it okay. Heero lives with Relena. They're-- They're a couple and Relena is a good friend of mine. I don't want to hurt her, so please don't mention anything about that while we're at her place,” I pleaded with Randy. I didn't think I could handle Relena's tears.

“Okay, but I won't let him hurt you again.”

I merely nodded, accepting his answer, even though I knew it was impossible for him to hope to protect me from the Perfect Soldier. No one could protect you from him.

“So how long have we been together?”

“Huh?”

“I'm pretending to be your boyfriend, aren't I?”

“Oh, I guess a few months?”

He nodded, looking disappointed about something.

“Randy?”

“When will it stop be make believe? Are you always going to pretend with me Angel? Can it ever be real?”

I hadn't been expecting the questions. “You don't want me Randy. I'm damaged.”

He snorted, “Aren't we all? I can help you. Stop turning tricks. Let me take care of you. You can stay with me. I'll keep Heero away from you and you can live for real.”

I wanted to and maybe I could, but for how long? Would it last?

“Let's get through the party first.”

Randy looked happy at just the prospect of having me. I sighed, looking out the window as he began driving again.

Only minutes later we arrived at Relena's. She was waiting outside when we pulled up, a vallet already waiting to take the keys from Randy. Randy seemed to be a good actor. He was cordial and polite for someone who peddled drugs for a living.

I stepped out of the car and was immediately bowled over by the blonde woman, lavender and vanilla immediately overpowering my senses as she hugged me tightly.

“My gosh Duo, you're so thin. Haven't you been eating?” she looked me over, worry evident in the cornflower blue eyes. I smiled easily at her.

“I've been a bit busy.”

A snort sounded from behind her. I swallowed as I laid eyes on Heero. He was watching me, sharp Prussian eyes taking me in, making sure I didn't make a mistake. I wanted to stick my tongue out at him as I hugged Relena close to me.

A soft cough brought me back to myself. I turned, breaking Relena's embrace to look at Randy who was standing on the pristing driveway, our bag in his hand. Relena turned to look as well.

“Duo! You didn't say you were bringing someone,” she exclaimed, pinching my side playfully. I laughed.

“Sorry, it must have slipped my mind,” I said lightly. She pinched me again. “This is Randy.”

Randy for his part stepped forward and took Relena's hand in his, kissing it softly. “It's a pleasure to meet you Miss Relena.”

Relena giggled as she always did when someone was overly polite with her. “Call me Relena. I'm so glad Duo brought a date this time. I wondered when he would.”

I could feel Heero's glare as he stepped closer. “Duo, you should have informed me that you were bringing someone with you.”

I smirked in spite of myself. “Well, it was a last minute decision. Sorry. I hope it's no problem.”

Relena laughed and it sounded like bells. “Of course not, don't be silly. Heero's just being overprotective as usual. I'm sure that Randy is just fine, and so handsome too.” she said, winking at me. I couldn't help grinning widely at her. If only she knew why Heero was really angry. She deserved so much better. I felt my skin itching with the thought of her touching me. I didn't want to dirty her. She was so pure.

She led us into the house, Randy holding my hand familiarly. I let him, we were a couple after all. Heero was seething, but he did a good job hiding it as we made our way inside, Relena explaining that the others would be arriving in a day's time and that the party would take place the night after that. Heero disappeared at some point. We had tea and then dinner and then coffee and Relena talked and talked and talked.

I liked listening to her, but by the time she was winding down it was late and Randy was starting to lean his head a little too heavily on my shoulder.

“Relena, I hate to break off our conversation, but I think my boy here is falling asleep.”

Relena jumped up. “Oh my goodness. I didn't notice the time at all. I'm sorry Duo.”

I shook my head. “No worries. We'll pick up where we left off in the morning,” I offered with an easy, fake smile. She nodded, her blonde hair falling forward.

We bid her goodnight and made our way to our room. Randy was asleep before his head hit the pillow. I smiled, running my fingers through his sandy hair. It must have been taxing for him to pretend like he was all day long. I leaned and kissed him. It really should have been easy to fall for the tall blond. I sighed, changing into some sweat pants for the night.

I couldn't sleep, not when I was so wound up knowing that Heero was lurking about somewhere. I went out on the balcony for some air. The rooms were all so exquisite. It was like a dream to be in the huge mansion again. I shook my head, leaning on the railing, my cheek cradled by my palm. It was so strange to be around Relena again and then the others would be there too. It was as if nothing had changed. I could almost pretend that I wasn't in the situation I was in.

I sighed heavily, closing my eyes briefly. Wouldn't it be nice to be free? I let myself drift, imagining a different life. A soft tap at the door woke me from my fantasy. I nibbled my lip wondering if it would be him or not.

I opened the door very quietly, peering around it. My gaze met that of Relena once again. I smiled. “What are you doing here queenie?” I asked softly so as not to wake Randy. She grinned at the nickname.

“I couldn't sleep. I wanted to talk to you about something important,” she murmured back, the look she gave me telling me whatever it was she wanted to discuss was only for me to hear. I nodded, moving to follow her from the room. She took me into a small study and sat down on a plush couch, waiting for me to sit with her. I did, curious as to what she wanted to tell me. My mood had significantly lightened since seeing her; I hoped it wasn't bad news.

“Duo,” she called to get my attention as her hands reached to hold mine. I blinked at her, giving her my full attention.

“I–I think Heero's having an affair.”



TBC...

Ha! hope you all enjoyed. I know it's been ages, but I was a little stuck on this chapter for a bit. So here it is; not so dark now that Relena is in Duo's life at the moment. Don't worry, the angst level will rise again.

Reviews would be appreciated. I'll try to update again soon.

Xander