Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ We Still ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AN: Well, after not much persuasion, I have decided to make a third part to my angst filled 2xH songfic series. Yup. Please send all praises/thank yous/death threats to Darkwing and Estrange. And to Liz, who wanted a happy ending!

Disclaimer: I do now own Gundam Wing or any of its characters nor do I own the song "We Still" it belongs to Frankie J, as he wrote it and he sings it. Please watch your step and tread carefully, there's so much WAFF/MUSH that it will rot your teeth three times over if you're not careful. *walks off singing Spongebob Squarepants theme song*

We Still

"I'm not letting this go, Hilde! You cant let this go either! I love you, for God's sake, I love you!" Duo cried. He walked over to her and placed his hand on her shoulder.

Hilde shook her head. "I know, Duo. I know that more than anything, but we can't make this work." She turned and faced him, daring herself to look into his beautiful eyes. She shook her head once more and looked down at her hands.

He sighed. "You're willing to throw away all these years, Hilde? Like we don't still love each other? Like we can't love each other more?"

He was going to cry. God, he was going to cry and he didn't care. He needed her so badly. He wanted her to be with him forever and he'd be damned if he didn't fight for her. He'd be damned if he just walked away from this as if it was nothing.

I know that you and I have been through

Many downs before oh yeah…

But that don't mean the chance

Has gone away to love each other more

We've struggled and we've fought

To keep us both between the lines oh yeah…

"Oh Duo," she sighed. She wanted nothing more than to say yes, to run into his arms and hug him and kiss him, but this was what they always did. This scene wasn't unusual for them, but before it had always ended with a kiss and a hug and make-up sex. But not this time. This time it had to be different.

"Don't let your pride get in the way, Hilde. I know I've made mistakes and so have you, but don't let that get in the way. Please, Hilde. I'm not dropping the subject and I'm not leaving. I'm staying here until you say you want to come back home or you want me to stay here, but I'm not leaving until I get the answer that I want," he said desperately.

Hilde wiped her tears away. He was right. She felt him take her hand in his and squeeze. She looked at their joined hands with an aching heart. Could they make it work? One last try maybe? Could they make things right this time? Too many questions ran through her mind at the moment. She couldn't think.

Through many years we've cried

Our tears and always kept our pride

Aside… so you can't say that…

She took a deep breath. It was suddenly hard for her to breath. Their joined hands had done this to her. She was breathless because of his touch. She'd missed him so much during all this time. She had wanted to call him so many times, but she couldn't. He was right. Her pride was getting in the way of things.

But she also couldn't help thinking of all the wrongs they had done to each other. They had hurt each other very badly during the last few years and during their pregnancy, especially then. They couldn't pretend that it hadn't happened. They couldn't just forget about that.

"I can't," she whispered and snatched her hand away.

We still…

Always argue all the time

Never make love when it's right

We still…

Never say we love each other

Always up in one another

We still…

Fight for every little thing

Never ever stop to think that we still

Always loved each other…

"What can I say to you that will make you change your mind? I've poured my heart and soul out to you, Hilde," he whispered.

"You can't say or do anything, Duo. It's all been said and done."

"People change, Hilde. And I think we both have, for the better. We can get through this, please… "

I know at times you'd believe

We would never change… oh yeah…

You said we'd never change…

That it was much to overcome

Much of an obstacle to take mmmm

But you were always one

To always think the worst of things

Yeah…

Yeah… yeah…

"Please," he whispered brokenly. "Please! Do you want me to beg you, Hilde? Because I will! I will get down on my knees and beg you to give us one more try. There is nothing I'm not willing to do, Hilde!"

She winced at the pain in his voice. It was evident he was hurting too. As much as she was if not more. She sighed again and her whole body trembled.

So it was always me

To take the stand

And take the initiative

So you can't say that

Hilde turned around with wide eyes and found him already on his knees in front of her. His cheeks were tear-stained, his eyes red and swollen from crying, and yet she had never seen a more beautiful man in her life. After so many years, so many fights, so many kisses and so many things he still made her heart flutter and her stomach do flip-flops. She looked at him for a moment and her heart gave way. Her knees gave out and she fell on the floor and locked her arms around his neck.

Immediately she felt him put his own arms around her. He hugged her tightly and sighed deeply. It was a sigh that said that everything would be okay, that the worst was over. It was a sigh of relief. His breath tickled her neck and she only hugged him tighter.

"I love you," her breathed in her ear. "I love you. I can't live without you."

We still…

Oh don't you know we still

Always argue all the time

Never make love when it's right

We still…

Don't you know that I'm for real

Never say we love each other

Always up in one another

We still…

Oh don't you know we still

Fight for every little thing

Never ever stop to think that we still

Always loved each other…

She only cried harder at his words. "I love you too, Duo. More than anything. I love you so much," she whispered. "And I'm sorry. For every fight we had, for every argument, for everything. There is nothing I want more in this life than to spend the rest of my life with you."

He pulled away from the hug to look into her eyes. He smiled at her through his tears, which had turned from bitter tears of sadness to tears of joy and happiness. He had her back. She was back and this time it would work.

He took her face in both of his hands and gave her a light, sweet kiss on the lips.

We still… fight for every little thing

Never ever stop to think that we still

Always loved each other

"And this is why I love you so much, Hilde. Because we've seen each other at our best and at our worst and we still love each other. You still love me as much as I love you. We made a lot of stupid mistakes and we never stopped to think that we loved each other or how much we hurt each other. I'm sorry."

She wiped the tears from his eyes with her hands and kissed his forehead. "It doesn't matter anymore, Duo. We're together again and that's all that matters now."

He smiled gently at her again and took her hands in his much larger ones. He placed them over his heart and held them there for a moment. Tears began to fall again from his eyes as he whispered, "Nothing will ever change here, Hilde. I will always, always love you."

She wrapped her arms around him again and buried her head in his neck.

We still…

Always argue all the time

Never make love when it's right

We still…

Don't you know that we still

Never say we love each other

Always up in one another

We still…

I'm for real, I'm for real baby

Fight for every little thing

Never ever stop to think that we still

Always loved each other…

The End (really, I mean it this time)

AN: Well there you go! I just couldn't let it go. As Darkwing put it "Duo is a fighter and so is Hilde." Much thanks to Darkwing and to everybody who reviewed and gave me comments on the ML. You guys all know you're all special to me and I appreciate you guys taking the time to read. *walks off still singing: who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!*