Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine
 
Chapter 2
 
Evan bolted across the campus towards Jess and Sam's building. Next time he warded an area this big he was making it so he at least could apparated inside the wards. And of course he had been out walking so no bike either. That left him running while using every enhancement spell he knew, going fast enough to blur if a muggle were to look. He should have waited until Sam got home before leaving Jess but after they'd finished cooking she'd insisted she would be fine. The wards said otherwise, it had been a few years but he still remembered the feel of a demons evil. Voldemort had used a few low level ones during the war but this one was way out of their league. Evan wasn't thinking of fighting it, just distracting it long enough to get Jess out of there. He flew up the stairs, the front door blowing off the hinges in response to his magic before he even reached it. He skidded through the door and headed for the bedroom where the evil aura was located.
 
What he found made Evan's blood boil. Jess was pinned to the ceiling, eyes wide with terror and a spreading crimson stain across her abdomen. She looked down at him; eyes begging him to run but Evan just smiled up at her and then turned to face the demon. Sickly yellow eyes stared at him in surprise as he let his magic fully out of its bonds for the first time since the war. An invisible wind stirred through the room, whipping dark brown hair up and around his body even as his eyes began to shimmer and darken to emerald.
 
“You do not belong here demon, leave in peace or I will make you.” Harry growled, his voice echoing with power.
 
“A wizard. And a powerful one at that. This is a surprise. This does not concern you, leave now and you may live. But do not think to match your power to mine mortal.”
 
“I don't have to bastard.” Harry made a picture fall, causing the demon's gaze to switch to it for a second but a second was all he needed as he flung pure magic at the demon's body. The possessed body was flung out the window as Jess's body dropped into Evan's outstretched arms. Gathering her to his chest Evan sprinted out of the apartment and down the stairs. Once outside he ran towards the hospital, unable to spare a hand to call for an ambulance.
 
Evan shoved the doors to the ER open as he skidded to a halt.
 
“HELP ME!” He yelled and was instantly surrounded by medical staff. He gently lowered the unconscious woman onto the gurney and then stepped back to let them work. Once they'd disappeared further into the hospital he stepped outside to call Sam.
 
“Hello?”
 
“Sam it's Evan, are you nearly back?”
 
“Evan? What's wrong?” Sam could obviously hear the fear in his voice.
 
“It's Jess, she's in the ER and it doesn't look good. I found her in your apartment being attacked. You need to get here, fast.”
 
“We're almost there.”
 
“I'll be inside.” He hung up and went back inside to wait.
 
---------------------------
Dean followed Sam as his younger brother ran into the ER. His gaze immediately went to the dark haired young man talking to a cop and he nudged Sam that way.
 
“Evan!” The young man turned and gave them a wan smile before pulling Sam into a brief hug.
 
“What happened? Is Jess okay? Were you hurt?” Sam babbled. The cop looked at them curiously.
 
“And you are son?”
 
“Sam Winchester, Jess is my girlfriend. Evan?” Sam was looking wildly between the two. Evan grabbed his arm and forced Sam to sit.
 
“She's still in surgery; they said she's lost a lot of blood and that a few organs have been punctured.” Evan said calmly but Dean could tell he was trying to keep it together for Sam's sake, something he was grateful for. The other man was obviously a good friend to both Sam and Jess.
 
“But she'll be okay right? Evan you know about this stuff, she'll be fine won't she?” Evan grasped Sam's hand and swallowed.
 
“I'm only pre-med Sam. I know more than you but...not enough to be able to give an honest estimate of her odds. But I do now that she's young, healthy and strong and that does make her odds better. Now I need to finish talking to the detective here and you look like you could use a coffee.” Evan looked right at Dean for the first time and Dean nodded.
 
“Come on Sammy; let's get you some caffeine, looks like we have a long night ahead.”
 
“I'm not moving until I know she's okay Dean.” Sam said stubbornly and the other two sighed in unison before looking at each other.
 
“Evan Black.” Dean accepted the extended hand and shook it.
 
“Dean Winchester.”
 
“Nice to meet you, wish the circumstances were better.”
 
“Likewise.” Dean flashed him a smile and Evan grinned back.
 
“I need to talk to you two anyway so you might as well hang around.” The detective added.
“Please continue Mr. Black.”
 
“Um, where was I...oh yeah. I'd left Jess around five thirty, with Sam gone she'd been a bit jumpy so I'd spent the last two nights on the couch. But Sam was due back any time and we'd cooked dinner for them so I grabbed my bag and headed out. Stopped by my dorm to drop off my bag and decided to walk to dinner and afterwards I walked by their apartment to see if Sam was back yet. The light in the bedroom was on so I assumed he was and went to keep walking when I saw Jess struggling against someone definitely not Sam, he was too short. So I ran upstairs and found the door off the hinges. Ran into the bedroom and knocked him away from Jess. The nut jumped out the window and I grabbed Jess up. She was bleeding pretty badly but I didn't want to stay in case he came back. Couldn't call an ambulance while carrying her so I ran here.” Evan explained and Dean watched Sam get paler and paler while listening. Sam doubled over and Evan kicked the garbage can over to him.
 
“Could you give a description of her attacker?”
 
“I didn't get a really good look but he was older maybe forties or fifties? Taller than me but shorter than Sam. Light hair, dark eyes. Wasn't dressed the best but he wasn't in rags either, it was...overalls! Like workers wear. That's about it.”
 
“Thank you Mr. Black.” Evan nodded and sat back in his chair.
“Mr. Winchester? I need to ask you a few questions.” Sam looked up from where he was bent over the can still and nodded.
“Where were you this weekend?”
 
“With Dean. He wanted me to go with him to drag Dad back from the cabin. I have a law school interview tomorrow so I said we had to be back by tonight. Left late Friday night, we were driving back when Evan called and said to come here.” Sam choked out. Evan walked away but was back a minute later with one of those little plastic cups full off water. Sam drank gratefully.
 
“Can you think of anyone who would want to hurt you or Miss Moore?” Sam stared at him blankly and then shook his head.
 
“No one. Why would someone do that to her?” Dean put a hand on Sam's shoulder and his brother turned towards him slightly for comfort.
 
“Mr. Winchester can you think of anything your brother left out?”
 
“No. First time I've been here so I wouldn't know.”
 
“Then I'll leave you three alone. I'll call if we need anything else; you all need to stay around for the next few days at least. Call me if you think of anything.” He handed them each a card and then left them.
 
“I'm so sorry Sam, is should have stayed till you got home.” Evan mumbled.
 
“You couldn't have known.” Sam answered just as softly. Evan tensed as a doctor emerged from the swinging doors.
 
“Jessica Moore?” All three of them stood and approached but Dean knew it wasn't good and he could tell Evan knew it too. Without a word they moved closer to Sam, flanking him protectively.
 
“Is she okay?” Sam blurted.
 
“Mr...?”
 
“This is her boyfriend, Sam.” Evan filled in seeing as Sam seemed unable to say anything else.
 
“I am sorry Sam. The internal damage was just too extensive especially combined with the blood loss. We did everything we could.” Evan and Dean caught him as Sam's legs buckled under him, his face as white as a sheet.
“Sit him down, head between his knees. That's it, take some deep breaths. Get him some water?” Evan nodded and went to get more.
 
“No, no, no, no.” Sam was murmuring under his breath, curling up on himself in the seat.
 
“It'll be okay Sammy, I've got you.” Dean whispered, pulling his brother into a loose hug.
 
“Here.” Dean took the cup from Evan and held it for Sam to drink.
 
“We'll need to contact family...” The doctor trailed off as Sam went whiter.
 
“I can get that for them Sam, why don't you let Dean take you out of here?” Evan offered but Sam shook his head.
 
“I want to see her.”
 
“Sam...” Evan and Dean said at the same time even as the doctor shot Sam a startled look.
 
“I don't know if that's a good idea.” The doctor hedged.
 
“Please, I have to see this is real.” Sam looked up at them with bloodshot eyes. The other three men exchanged looks before Dean nodded slowly. The doctor looked unhappy but finally nodded.
 
“I'll go get the contact info for you.” Evan said and put a hand on Sam's shoulder.
“You guys can stay in my room tonight. I have two beds and a couch. It might be better than...” He trailed of and Dean nodded.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Okay, I'll be back in a bit.”
 
----------------------------
Evan leant against the wall outside the ER, fighting tears. If only he had been closer when he'd felt the wards breached. He had tried healing her as he'd run but magic didn't work well on demonic injuries. He straightened as the Winchester brothers emerged from the building, Dean holding Sam up as they walked slowly. He headed over to them and smiled shakily.
 
“Ready to go?”
 
“Are you sure you don't mind us crashing?” Dean asked.
 
“It's fine; I don't have a roommate this year so I have the space. And hey cheaper than a hotel.” Evan shrugged and followed them to the car.
“Nice.” He said before sliding into the back.
 
“Thanks, you drive?”
 
“Nope, ride. Turn here.” They exchanged meaningless small talk between directions and then gently manoeuvred Sam into Evan's dorm room. They put Sam down on the made bed and Evan went to get bedding for the other and the couch.
“You're taller so I'll take the couch. There's soda, water and juice in the fridge and some snacks and fruit on the counter if you get hungry.
 
“Thanks for this. And for everything this weekend I guess.” Dean looked uncomfortable making Evan smile.
 
“Sam and Jess....did you know I was the one that finally made Sam ask Jess out? He'd been trying for weeks and just couldn't do it. I knew Jess longer but the two of them, they were perfect together. Sam...Sam was planning to propose soon. This is going to destroy him.” Evan ran his hands through his hair.
“There's something I didn't tell the cop but I don't know if you'd believe me, I know he wouldn't have.”
 
“What?”
 
“How open minded are you?” Evan stared at him and Dean shifted uncomfortably.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You know, stuff that's out there. Magic, ghosts, demons....” Evan trailed off as Dean paled slightly.
 
“What did you see?” Dean demanded.
 
“They weren't struggling; Jess was pinned to the ceiling. I took it off guard and managed to push him out the window, Jess dropped after it was gone.”
 
“It? So the description you gave?”
 
“Wasn't really accurate. Eye colour was totally off.” Dean stiffened.
 
“What colour?” He demanded and Evan got the feeling he was pretty sure he knew what had killed Jess.
 
“Yellow.” Dean closed his eyes and leant back against the couch.
 
“When Sam was six months old our mother was killed. She was pinned to the ceiling above his crib, cut open across the stomach and then set on fire. You saved Jess form burning to death. It was a demon and our family has hunted it since. It was why Dad didn't want Sam to leave for college.”
 
“You think it's the same demon. But why kill Jess?”
 
“To get to me.” They both started at the quiet voice.
 
“I thought you were asleep Sammy.”
 
“You know about demons and stuff Evan?”Sam ignored Dean.
 
“For a few years now. I know enough to for basic protections and to recognise them.” Evan got up and pulled some things out in the small kitchenette, putting the kettle on. Once it was boiled he added the water to a cup along with small amounts of various things, stirred it and then handed it to Sam.
“It'll help you sleep.” Sam looked down at the herbal mixture and the gulped it down before handing the mug back. It didn't take long for his eye lids to start drooping.
 
“That's fast stuff.” Dean commented as they made sure Sam was comfortable.
 
“I have nightmares.” Evan said uncomfortably, shrugging slightly.
“We should sleep too.” Dean nodded and they settled down to sleep.
 
TBC...