Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: They don't belong to me.
Thanks for all the wonderful reviews.
 
Chapter 3
 
Evan stared out the window, watching as the Impala's tail lights vanished into the distance. He'd let Sam and Dean think he'd slept through their packing and sneaking out but he'd been awake the whole time. He knew it was easier for them to leave like that then to put up with awkward goodbyes. Hadn't he done the same thing once? Sighing he slumped down on the couch. Jessica's funeral had been that morning and he was still in his suite but he didn't care that it was getting creased to death. What worried him was that demon and that it was after Sam. He'd slipped a small charm into Sam's bag before the brother's had left along with a note. It was a protection charm, meant to be worn against the skin and would protect the wearer from evil, not that he thought it was anywhere near powerful enough to stop the demon he'd face but it would give some protection at least.
 
He'd already spent an entire night altering the wards he'd added to the campus, he'd had to knock Dean out as well to do that but at least he could apparated around now. Ward specialists from the American Ministry had also done some work after he'd reported a demon attack to them and they would monitor the area closely for the next few months. But he doubted he'd still be around. He'd confronted the demon and while it was after Sam he had the feeling he was now on its radar. All he had to do was wait for his exam results and see what schools wanted him outside of California. Evan felt bad about leaving Rebecca and the small handful of other friends he'd made but it was better if he left, though he would keep in contact with Becky at least.
 
---------------------------------
“Let me see!” Evan laughed and held the papers above her head.
“No fair Evan, show me.”
 
“Alright, alright. Here you go.” He handed the gathered papers over to Becky and watched her sort through them. The letter from Stanford he'd been expecting but there had been some surprises in there, all up he'd received offers from six different medical schools excluding Stanford. He'd already refused both that and the one from the University of Southern California. That left Boston University, Duke University, Harvard University, John Hopkins University and Kansas City University of Medicine & Biosciences. He honestly had no clue which one to choose, they all had good programs after all. He watched as Rebecca read them and realisation set in.
 
“You're leaving.” Evan shut his eyes and nodded at her quiet statement.
 
“I can't stay here Becky. Not after Jess. And if that was anything like a normal demon it will be looking for payback.” He hadn't told her about the Winchester's involvement, just that it had been a demon that had attacked Jessica. He would keep their secrets, it was the least he could do for Sam.
 
“Well you have some good choices here. Have you decided?” She smiled as she asked but he could tell that losing the three of them at once was hurting.
 
“No. That's why I came to my dearest friend. I have three days to answer and no clue!” She laughed as he pulled a face which had been what he was aiming for.
“Please help me?”
 
-----------------------------------
Evan jumped slightly in his seat as his phone vibrated but ignored it as the lecturer droned on. He loved everything about John Hopkins, except the idiot five rows in front of him. Okay so he knew his stuff, he just had no clue how to teach and hold a class's interest. He smothered a laugh as he noticed Alex snoring away on his desk in the row ahead. When his phone buzzed again Evan frowned and glanced down at it, feeling a shiver of dread as he saw Becky's number flashing. The last ten minutes of class was pure torture and he was one of the first out the door. Once outside the building he listened to the two voicemails she'd left and then headed for the parking lot.
 
“Hey Evan where are you going?” He turned to see Nick staring at him in surprise since they had next class together.
 
“Got to go, it's an emergency.”
 
“You can't leave now!”
 
“Sorry.” He yanked his helmet onto his head and peeled out of the parking lot, heading for his apartment. Once there he dialled her number.
 
“Evan?”
 
“I'm on my way Becky. Just sit tight and don't let the cops push you around till I get there. How's Zach?”
 
“In shock, we both are. He didn't do it Evan.” He winced at the pain in her voice.
 
“I know, I'll take a look and figure out who or what did okay? You just hang in there. I'll be there soon.” He hung up as he finished packing what he thought he would need and then slung the satchel over his shoulder. Going outside he checked the coast was clear before shrinking his bike and apparating away.
 
Evan stumbled slightly as he reappeared in front of a very nice house but straightened quickly, resizing his bike in the drive before knocking. In seconds he had an armful of his best friend.
 
“Come on let's get you inside.” He murmured, leading her into the house. She stayed quiet while he got them both something to drink and then sat beside her on the couch.
“I need you to tell me exactly what happened.”
 
“Zach was here and when he went home he found Emily tied to a chair, when he checked her she was dead and he called 911. The cops showed up and arrested him. They have a video that shows him going home at ten thirty but I swear he was still here. But they won't believe us and our parents are on their way back for the trial.”
 
“Was there any other evidence other than the tape?” Evan asked, frowning in thought.
 
“DNA and fingerprints. Who, what could have done this?”
 
“Any number of things. It could be someone using polyjuice or even one of many creatures that can take on another's appearance. I'll need to do some snooping around. See what I can find.”
 
“I've got the tape if that helps but I don't know how to help with the cops.” She admitted and he grinned.
 
“Are you forgetting who I am Becky dearest? Part of my agreement with the Ministry means I have a badge that outranks the local police. I just haven't really needed to use it before.” He laughed as she threw her arms around him in a hug.
 
“What would we do without you?”
 
“Find some other way to figure it out. Of course if we'd never met you'd be looking for more mundane answers than those I can give.” Evan admitted uncomfortably.
 
“It's a good thing I don't regret meeting you then isn't it? You are a great person no matter what name you are using and don't you forget it.” They both looked up as someone knocked on the door.
 
“Expecting anyone?” He asked, standing to go to the door.
 
“Not really.”
 
“The stay here.” With that he headed for the door only to get a shock when he found the Winchester brothers on the other side.
“Sam! What are you doing here?”
 
“Evan? I got an email from Becky is she here?” Sam looked utterly shocked to see him standing in the doorway.
 
“Yeah, come on in. Hey Becky look at who showed up!” Evan called and she came running.
 
“Sam!” Sam caught her as Becky hugged him.
 
“We came as soon as I got your message. Are you okay?”
 
“Is everyone going to ask me that today?” She looked between Evan and Sam and then looked behind him.
“Who's this?”
 
“Um, Becky this is my brother Dean.”
 
“Nice to meet you.” She offered and Evan just waved hello.
 
“How's school Evan?” Sam asked.
 
“Good. Ended up choosing John Hopkins.”
 
“Congratulations.” Sam gave him a sad smile that Evan understood all too well.
 
“Thanks. How...how are you doing?” Sam shrugged uncomfortably and Evan nodded.
 
“So what happened with your brother?” Dean asked to change the subject.
 
“He's been charged with a murder he didn't commit.” Becky stated and Evan smiled before grabbing his coat.
 
“And that's my cue. I'll see what I can find at the morgue, professional interest only of course.” Evan slipped the coat on after giving the excuse for the brother's benefit, hugged Becky and nodded to the two Winchesters.
“Back in a while.” He left the house and got on his bike, easily negotiating the downtown traffic until he reached the police station. He parked his bike and made sure he had his badge before heading inside.
 
---------------------------------
Evan went over the evidence carefully; ignoring the glares he could feel aimed at his back. Locals didn't like it when those from other agencies waltzed in and asked nicely for a look at their cases. And cases it was, Zach's was not the first with the exact same circumstances.
 
“Not one of you realised these cases are all the same?”
 
“Yeah except the perpetrator was different in each one.” The lead detective shot back and Evan pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. This was St. Louis not some small town so why were these guys acting like small town cops?
 
“And you've never dealt with an identity theft case before? Taking fingerprints, even DNA can be done with the right equipment, Look at this.” Evan indicated the reports.
“You're looking for one methodical killer who watches his targets for weeks, perhaps months and then steals the id of the male closest to them, be it a husband, boyfriend, whatever. It's hardly my fault you're taking the easy way out and not looking deeper. I want to talk to all the men from these cases.”
 
-------------------------------------
“Why was Evan going to the morgue?” Dean asked as they looked around the crime scene.
 
“He's hoping the ME might tell him something that could help. Go in as the eager to learn med student and ask about recent cases, that sort of thing I guess.” Rebecca shrugged, hoping they'd buy it. If Evan had given that excuse and not told them he was going to go talk to the cops then they obviously still didn't know any of the truth about him. And there was no way she was going to be the one to tell them.
“He was the first person I called after Zach...he dropped everything and came straight away even though he has classes. It's nice to see both of you again.”
 
“It's good to see you too Becky.”
 
--------------------------------
Evan raced back to Becky's swearing under his breath. He really, really hated shape shifters and the Ministry wasn't sending anyone in because they believed he could handle it. He parked in the drive and dashed into the house to see the other three sitting around.
 
“Evan?”
 
“Shape shifter.” Sam and Dean stared at him and then looked at Becky who wasn't looking surprised except when she looked at them and saw they weren't.
 
“You know?” Evan laughed as all three of them asked the same thing.
 
“I've known since two weeks after meeting Evan. What about you guys?” Sam shifted in his seat uncomfortably.
 
“We're hunters, have been all our lives.” Dean told her.
 
“So now that we're all on the same page....apparently Emily wasn't the first victim. There have been four others so far and I doubt she was the last.”
 
“The ME told you all that?” Dean stared at him in disbelief.
 
“It's amazing what medical staff tell each other and their students.” Evan shrugged, not ready to admit he was technically a government agent for an agency that very few knew existed.
 
“So how does that help?” Rebecca asked.
 
“We need to find its lair.” Sam pointed out. Evan wanted to hit something, the last thing he needed was a pair of hunters around while he was trying to track this thing down. No matter how much he liked Sam and his brother he knew what the average hunter thought about those with magical abilities. It didn't help that they usually ran into those who had made demonic deals or the like for their powers, hunters tended to see only black and white and dumped all magic users in the same pile. He really didn't want them scared of him or hating him and trying to kill him. Because if that happened he'd wipe all memories of him from their minds and he enjoyed their company a lot.
 
“So Evan stays here with Becky and we go track this thing down.” Evan fought the urge to glare at Dean for that suggestion but it was reasonable in the hunters eyes since they thought Evan only knew a bit about protections. And it would give him the chance to do his own looking around without them looking over his shoulder so he nodded in agreement.
“Lock the doors. You know how to salt doors and all?”
 
“I'll ward the house you two be careful, last thing we need is for it to impersonate one of you.” Evan watched them leave before beginning his work on the house. Once it was done he left the, safe in the knowledge that nothing was getting into that house without him or Becky letting it.
 
TBC...