Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own them, never have and never will.
 
Chapter 5
 
Sam stood up as someone knocked on the door. He smiled as he opened it and found Evan on the other side. He looked him over and shook his head.
 
“You left after my call and rode non-stop didn't you?” He asked rhetorically as he let the other inside.
“How many traffic laws did you break?”
 
“Only the speed ones. But hey I got to use my badge again. Maybe I should ask for a siren for my bike so I don't get pulled over.” Evan dumped his bag and collapsed into a chair.
“How's Dean?”
 
“They said he's got weeks at most. I've been calling every contact we have trying to find something, anything.”
 
“Can I get a look at his file? I'm not specialising in cardiology but I can at least help.” Evan grinned as the file was passed over.
“Did you steal this or did they give you a copy?”
 
“Told them I wanted another opinion.”
 
“Uh huh.” Evan opened the file and read through the notes.
“What was he hit with? The damage...”
 
“Taser set at one thousand volts carried through water.” Sam answered softly and Evan winced.
 
“Yeah, that'd explain this. Come on you need a break and I want to talk to Dean's Doctor and see him for myself.” Evan got up and hauled Sam to his feet.
“If there's a way we'll find it Sam.” He reassured the hunter and then headed outside.
 
---------------------------------
Dean was watching TV when he picked up on voices headed his way. One was his doctor and the other was...Evan? When he thought about it, it did make sense, who else would Sammy call for medical advice than his medical student friend? He shifted on the pillows and managed a smile as Sam walked into the room followed by Evan, the doctor obviously finished talking to them.
 
“So how does electrocuting yourself feel?” Evan teased and Dean's smile became real at the lack of pity in his voice and eyes.
 
“Not too bad. Get my own TV. So what brings you our way?” Dean answered him as Sam sat beside his bed.
 
“A couple of friends who apparently can't stay out of trouble.” Evan perched on the end of his bed, laying a gentle hand on Dean's arm briefly.
“How are you feeling?”
 
“What's my chart say?”
 
“Nothing good.” Evan admitted.
 
“Guess that makes sense since I'm dying.” Dean shifted and Sam was instantly there, trying to help him get comfortable. Evan chewed on his lip. He hated the fact that a lot of potions didn't work on muggles or he would have shipped Dean off to the local Wizarding hospital for treatment, screw the secrecy act. But there wasn't a lot they could do for him either other than better pain relief and that he could handle himself. He brushed Dean's leg with his arm and Dean relaxed as the charm went to work.
“Hey Sam why don't you go grab a coffee, Evan can keep me company for a bit.” Both younger men looked at Dean and then each other. Evan nodded and Sam reluctantly left the room.
 
“That was a bit obvious Dean.” Evan pointed out and Dean shrugged.
 
“Wanted to talk to you alone that's all. Well, ask you a favour actually.” Dean admitted.
 
“Ask.” Evan had a feeling he knew what Dean was going to ask anyway.
 
“Keep an eye on Sammy for me? I'm not asking you hunt with him if he keeps going after I'm... Just ring him and stuff, make sure he'd doing okay.” Dean looked away and Evan smiled.
 
“I'd do it anyway Dean but it won't be necessary because we are not letting you die. Understand? You're going to be around to tease and protect him for years to come. And you won't have to worry about fake names and insurance because you'll have a doctor ready to treat you guys and tell you off for being idiots.” Evan made eye contact and kept it as he spoke. He meant what he said, he was not letting Dean die.
 
Dean stared up at Evan in shock. He'd never had anyone say things like that to him except Sam and it felt...good. Good to know someone else cared wether he lived or died. Though...just for a second there he would have sworn Evan's eyes were green, not greyish blue. But that was impossible right? Must have been a trick of the lights because nothing he knew of had eyes that flashed green and such an intense green. His mind drifted back to his previous thoughts. It felt odd to know that Evan cared about him, even if it was more for Sam's sake than his since Evan barely knew him. That had to be it, Evan didn't want to see Sam hurt by his death. After all not even his own father cared enough to come see him or even call him to let him know it would be okay.
 
----------------------------------
Sam opened the door only to stare in shock at his brother standing there looking pale and sickly.
 
“What the hell are you doing here?” Sam demanded as Dean walked shakily inside.
 
“I checked myself out. Where's Evan?”
 
“Are you crazy? And he said something about checking out a lead.” Sam shut the door angrily.
 
“Well, I'm not gonna die in a hospital where the nurses aren't even hot.” Dean shrugged and Sam laughed bitterly.
 
“You know, this whole I-laugh-in-the-face-of-death thing? It's crap. I can see right through it.”
 
“Yeah, whatever, dude. Have you even slept? You look worse than me.” Dean let Sam help him over to a chair which let Sam know just how bad his brother was feeling.
 
“Evan made me, I think he spiked my coffee with something. Other than that we've been scouring the internet, books and all the contacts we have between us.”
 
“For what?” Dean shot him a confused look.
 
“For a way to help you. One of Dad's friends, Joshua, he called me back. Told me about a guy in Nebraska. A specialist.”
 
“You're not gonna let me die in peace, are you?” Dean asked.
 
“I'm not gonna let you die, period. We're going.” The way Sam stated it let Dean know that his little brother was not going to listen to any argument he might make.
 
“What about Evan and his lead?”
 
“I left him a message, he can catch up or we'll go to him if his idea sounds better.” Sam told him as he helped Dean out to the car.
 
-----------------------------
Harry slumped against the wall but managed a small smile for his companion.
 
“I'm sorry Harry but it can't be done. Even if we managed a stable magical link between the two of you, not even you have the reserves to keep it up long enough for the potions to work.”
 
“Thanks for trying Madam Pomphrey.”
 
“Anything for my most frequent patient. I am sorry about your friend though.” The matron gently squeezed his arm.
 
“Thanks, but I'm not giving up yet and neither is his brother. I better get back to them.” With a wave goodbye he apparated back to the hotel. He paused for a second as his magic protested the overuse but then straightened and began to walk only for his phone to beep at him. Taking it out he say that he had a message from Sam. He listened and frowned, a Faith Healer in Nebraska? Groaning he apparated again and then un-shrunk his bike and helmet. Getting on he set about breaking every local speed limit there was and enjoying it.
 
It only took fifteen minutes before he was pulling up outside a tent with a sign for The Church of Roy LeGrange. Faith Healer. From the lack of people and the noise coming from the tent the service must have started. He walked faster as he spotted a familiar black Impala. Evan entered the tent in time to see Dean collapse on the stage, Sam leaping from his seat to get to his brother. He ran down the aisle to join them just as Dean gasped awake and then Evan froze as he saw the ghostly figure behind the preacher. It looked at Dean and then him before fading away. Evan swore softly under his breath, this was not good.
 
------------------------------------
Evan stopped pacing as the brother's emerged from the hospital. He knew from his own brief scan that Dean was fine now but it was always nice to have a professional say it. Sam's grin said it all though.
 
“Nice to see you back in good health Dean.”
 
“Thanks. Except now we have a case.”
 
“The being behind LeGrange when he healed you.” Evan stayed and Sam's eyes went wide.
 
“You saw it?” Sam asked in shock and Evan nodded. Dean frowned and then stared at Evan.
 
“You were in the aisle, it looked at me and then...it looked at you.” Evan nodded again managing to look a mixture of surprised and confused.
 
“Okay so I'm going to go talk to Roy, Sam's going to look into Hall's death. Want to help?” Dean asked and Evan smiled.
 
“Sure. Wait who died?”
 
“A guy dropped dead of a heart attack around the same time Dean was healed.” Sam explained and Evan felt his heart stop for a second. He prayed he was wrong about what was going on.
 
“I'll start looking for ways this preacher could be healing people then and take a peek at the body. What hotel are you at?”
 
---------------------
When Dean got back to the hotel Evan and Sam were huddled around Sam's laptop and not looking happy.
 
“What did you find out?” Dean asked as he sat opposite them and frowned when they exchanged worried looks.
 
“I'm sorry.” Sam said quietly.
 
“About what?” Evan shifted in his seat as Dean spoke which made him more worried.
 
“Marshall Hall died at 4:17.” Sam told him and Dean froze.
 
“That's the exact time I was healed.”
 
“Yeah. So, we put together a list of everyone Roy's healed, six people over the past year, and I cross-checked them with the local obits. Every time someone was healed, someone else died. And each time, the victim died of the same symptom LeGrange was healing at the time.” Dean flicked through the papers Evan had handed him while Sam talked.
 
“It looks like LeGrange is trading one life for another and there's pretty much only one way to do that.” Evan finally spoke up and Dean looked at him.
 
“A Reaper.” Dean groaned.
“You shouldn't have brought me here Sam.”
 
“Sam didn't know Dean. Besides now we're here we can find a way to stop this. Messing with death like this...its black magic.” Evan fought down a shudder at the memories that invoked.
 
“Wait. You guys are talking about the Grim Reaper?” Sam looked between them, confused.
 
“No, a Reaper. They can kill with a touch, pretty much look however they want and there is no known way of killing them.” Evan told Sam.
 
“How do you know about them?” Dean asked.
 
“Because Riddle sent one after me, luckily it was released before it could finish the job. Could be why that one looked at me.” Evan shrugged.
 
“And why you could see it.” Dean added.
“Hopefully this one won't decide to finish the job.”
 
“Awww, you like me.” Evan chirped and Dean took a swat at him, making Evan laugh.
 
“Can we get back on topic please?” Sam rolled his eyes at them but hid his smile. It was nice to see Dean fooling around with someone else. Dean was so closed off from anyone not family that it was encouraging to see him play around with Evan. Though Evan seemed to have the gift of making everyone like him. What would happen if he met their Dad? Then again after the threat Evan had made against him on the phone maybe that wasn't such a good idea.
 
“So we need to know how Roy's controlling it.” Dean stated and they all sat in silence as they thought.
 
“The cross.”
 
“What?” Dean and Evan asked at the same time.
 
“There was this cross. I noticed it in the church tent, I knew I had seen it before. Any one got some tarot cards?” Sam asked and Evan wordlessly handed over a deck getting him a raised eyebrow from Dean. Evan just shrugged and blushed slightly. He may suck at divination but the cards were occasionally useful.
“Here.” Sam held out one of the cards and the other two looked at it.
 
“Okay so he's using black magic to control the Reaper?” Dean asked and Sam shrugged.
 
“If he is, he's riding the whirlwind. It's like putting a dog leash on a Great White.” Sam told him and Evan nodded.
 
“If it gets free it's going to be beyond mad, it'll turn on him instantly.” Evan added.
 
“Okay, then we stop Roy.” Dean stated.
 
“How? Ask him nicely?” Evan asked, he could probably rip control of the spell from Roy but that would hurt, not to mention out him to the brother's.
 
“You know how.” Dean said looking at Sam who paled slightly.
 
“Wait, what the hell are you talking about, Dean? We can't kill Roy.” Sam insisted and Evan's eyes went wide. Kill him? That was a last resort so far down the list it wasn't worth mentioning.
 
“Sam, the guy's playing God, he's deciding who lives and who dies, that's a monster in my book.” Well okay Evan could see where Dean was coming from but still.
 
“No, we're not gonna kill a human being, Dean. We do that, we're no better than he is.”
 
“I agree with Sam.” Evan finally spoke up. He'd had his fill of killing during the war. That's why he'd decided to go to medical school. If only he'd managed to not get involved with a pair of hunters. But he couldn't abandon them now, he liked them too much to say no when called for help.
 
“Okay, so we can't kill Roy, we can't kill death. Any bright ideas, college boys?” Dean asked somewhat sarcastically.
 
“Okay, uh, if Roy is using some kind of black spell on the reaper, we've gotta figure out what it is. And how to break it.”
 
“Easier said than done.” Evan muttered under his breath but got up to follow them from the room.
 
---------------------------------------
Evan rifled through the desk as Sam went through the bookshelves.
 
“Found it.” Evan looked up and Sam showed him the picture of the Reaper and then the cross on another. Sam looked further and pulled out some paper.
“And I think I just found how he picks his victims.” Sam pulled out his phone and called Dean as they left the house, heading for the tent. They began running as they heard cried for help. They spotted David and then Evan dove in front of him, placing himself between the protester and the Reaper. Evan held his ground as the Reaper reached out to him, ignoring David's cries and Sam's demands to know what was happening. He braced himself as the Reaper touched him, shuddering at the cold feeling and then the Reaper backed away.
 
“It's leaving?” David asked hesitantly. But then the Reaper lunged past Evan and towards David, Evan moving to try and intercept it. He could vaguely hear Sam talking but blocked it out as he concentrated on stopping the Reaper. His hand had just closed around its arm when it suddenly stopped and moved away. Evan slumped on the ground and waved away David's thanks, too busy trying to get his breath back. He started as a hand touched his shoulder and looked up to see Dean crouched over him.
 
“You okay?” The flash of concern in Dean's eyes made him happy and he nodded.
 
“Fine. Tackling a Reaper really takes it out of you.”
 
“Come on, let's get out of here.” Dean hauled him up and steadied him when Evan swayed. Sam came up and got his other side and they made their way to the car.
 
----------------------
“So Roy really believes?” Sam asked Dean quietly, glancing over at the bed where Evan was lying with a damp cloth over his eyes.
 
“I don't think he has any idea what his wife's doing.”
 
“Well we found this in their library.” Sam shot another look at Evan who seemed to sense it and waved his hand at them to indicate he was awake and listening.
“It's ancient. Written by a priest who went dark side. There's a binding spell in here for trapping a Reaper.”
 
“Must be a hell of a spell.” Evan snorted at Dean's comment.
 
“Yeah. You've got to build a black altar, with seriously dark stuff. Bones, human blood. To cross the line like that, that preacher's wife. Black magic, murder. Evil.” Sam explained as Evan gingerly sat up on the bed.
 
“It's amazing what desperate people will do and if she wanted to save her husband...”
 
“She used the binding spell to keep the Reaper from taking Roy.” Dean said.
 
“Cheating death. Literally.” Sam added and Evan winced.
 
“That never ends well.” Evan commented earning him a curious look from both Winchester's but they didn't say anything. The longer this went on the more they learnt about Evan and the more questions they had about him.
 
“Okay so Roy's alive, then why is she still using the spell?” Dean asked.
 
“So she can kill the people she thinks are immoral. Look at the articles.” Evan groaned out.
 
“Seriously are you sure you're okay?” Dean asked, frowning at how pale Evan was.
 
“Trust me I've had worse headaches.” Evan staggered over to the bathroom and shut the door. They heard the shower come on a few minutes later.
 
“We've gotta break that binding spell, Dean.” Dean nodded as he leafed through the book.
 
“You know, Sue Ann had a Coptic cross like this. And when she dropped it, the reaper backed off.” He showed Sam the picture.
 
“So, you think we've gotta find the cross or destroy the altar?” Sam asked as he took another look at the book.
 
“Maybe both? Whatever we do, we better do it soon. Roy's healing Layla tonight.” Dean said as the water shut off in the bathroom and Evan came out in just a towel looking sheepish.
 
“Forgot clothes. I'll be ready in a few minutes.” He grabbed some clean clothes from his bag.
 
“Are you sure you should come Evan? You still look a bit pale.” Dean pointed out.
 
“Who else can see this thing without being its target?” Evan ducked back into the bathroom to dress.
 
“He's got a point.” Sam ignored the glare his agreeing with Evan earnt him and tried not to smile. It was official, Evan had managed to crack Dean's defences against non-family members.
 
----------------------------
Evan stared at the retreating backs of the brother's. Disrupt the service? He sighed and then decided on the simplest method. With a wave of his hand he conjured a small plague of rats and set them loose inside the tent. The screams started immediately and he headed off towards the house. Evan froze as he felt a familiar cold sensation in his spine and then the lights began to blink out heading towards...Dean! He saw the Reaper appear in front of Dean and reacted instantly.
 
Dean backed away from the Reaper but then stopped. He was not going to run and even if he died Layla would be saved. Evan had promised to look after Sam for him. His eyes went wide as Evan was suddenly between him and the Reaper who hesitated.
 
“Back off.” Evan ordered calmly seeming to ignore Dean. Surely Evan didn't think the Reaper would listen to him? As if in answer to Dean's thoughts it took another step forward and another until Evan's hand was resting on its chest. Evan's head dropped and his shoulders moved as if he were taking a deep breath. Was it going to kill Evan instead of him? Dean looked around wildly for some sort of weapon, some way to save Evan but there was nothing. His eyes went wide as he noticed a glow building around Evan's hand.
“Back off now.” Evan ground out and Dean watched the glow brighten. The Reaper seemed to shift uncomfortable and then it was gone. Evan dropped his hand and Dean lunged as the younger mans legs buckled, just catching him before his head could slam into the ground.
 
“Dean?” He looked up and could see Sam outlined by lights near the tent where people were still running about screaming about...rats? What had Evan used to interrupt the service?
 
“Over here!” He yelled back raising an arm to make it easier for Sam to see them. Sam ran over and dropped to his knees beside him.
 
“Evan? Is he?” Sam's eyes were wide and his hand hesitated above Evan's neck.
 
“He's alive. Got between me and the Reaper. Sam...he touched it and his hand glowed. Whatever he did the Reaper didn't like it.” Sam stared at Dean in shock and then looked back at his unconscious friend.
 
“Maybe it's a side effect from where one nearly killed him?” Sam asked hopefully. Surely Evan would have told them if he had abilities?
“The Reapers gone and Sue Ann is dead, it killed her after I broke the cross.”
 
“God, now let's get out of here.” Between them they lifted Evan and got him into the Impala.
 
-------------------------------
Evan groaned as light hit his eyes. He felt like he'd been run over by a herd of wild hippogriffs. He tried to focus on what had made him feel like that but his head was hurting too much to cooperate.
 
“Evan?” The sound of a voice calling his name made the pain spike and he moaned piteously. A soft chuckle answered him and then something was pressed to his lips.
“Aspirin, sounds like you need it.” He obediently opened his mouth for the tablets and then the water bottle, drinking it gratefully as it soothed his dry throat. He slowly forced his eyes open to see Sam hovering over him.
“Morning.” Sam put the bottle aside and gave him a concerned look.
“How do you feel?” Evan thought about it.
 
“My head feels like it's about to fall off.” He stated and Sam laughed.
“Shhh. Too loud.” Evan groaned, shutting his eyes again.
 
“Sorry but it is kind of funny.”
 
“Meany. What happened?” Evan reopened his eyes and struggled to sit up, letting Sam help when he offered.
 
“You got between me and the Reaper, stuck your hand on its chest and then your hand was glowing. Care to explain that?” Dean finally spoke from the small kitchenette where he'd been watching the two carefully. Evan paled and shut his eyes.
 
“Oh.”
 
“So you want to tell us how you did that?” Dean pushed and Evan opened his eyes to stare at him.
 
“Can't you just accept that I bought Sam the time needed to save you?” Evan asked softly.
 
“No.” Dean answered and it was true. No matter how much he wanted to let it lie for Sam's sake he couldn't take the risk. They'd never come across anything supernatural that was good or able to be tamed and he would not put Sam in danger. But...Evan had known Sam for several years and had never done anything to harm him, in fact Stanford's crime statistics had drooped to nearly zero since Sam and therefore Evan had started attending.
“What are you?” Dean forced himself to ask and Evan stared him in the eye as he answered.
 
“Human.” With that Evan got up off the bed and went to grab his bag, obviously intending to leave. But Dean grabbed his arm, not willing to let it go at that.
“Let go Dean.”
 
“Not until you tell us how you did that.”
 
“Dean please.” Evan all but whispered and Dean felt himself waver. Could he let it go just this once? He looked over at Sam who had surprisingly stayed quiet. Sam was staring at the ground, refusing to look at either of them.
 
“Evan...are you a witch?” If Evan was telling the truth about being human then it was the only thing that fit but Dean really didn't want to have to kill him. He'd done nothing but help them but how long till he turned on them? And how many people hadn't been lucky enough that Evan liked them and had paid the price for his power? Evan twisted free of his grip but instead of trying to run he simply walked over to the window and stared out of it.
 
“Not as you know it.” He finally answered and Dean could see Sam's face fall in grief.
“My power is internal, it comes from me no outside source or demonic deal. I was born with my magic as were my parents before me and my ancestors going back hundreds of generations. There are strict rules governing the use of magic and using it the way you fear is punished by death.” Evan explained softly yet clearly and they frowned in confusion. Internal power?
 
“You're saying there is another type of witchcraft that doesn't come from evil?” Sam asked, hope clear on his face.
 
“I'm not a girl Sam, technically I'm a wizard a girl is a witch. There is nothing evil about the magic I wield though it can be used for it. The cult back home used it that way. It was a magical war and I pray I never live through another.”
 
TBC...
I got chunks of the dialogue from a website where people post episodes in text, beats watching the episode a million times. So if it sounds like it's taken from the episode Faith then that's where it came from. One long chapter!