Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction / Supernatural Fan Fiction ❯ Supernatural Magic ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Still don't own them.
 
Chapter 9
 
He stared down at the cards spread out on his desk and frowned. He didn't know why he's decided to try and read them today, he sucked at divination after all but something had drawn him to the deck and he had finally given in. He shivered slightly and then gathered the deck up, shoving it into his bag. It had to be a fluke, right?
 
------------------------
“So, you think Meg is a demon?” Sam asked John after he told them Caleb was dead. First Pastor Jim and now Caleb. How many more of their friends would die?
 
“Either that or she's possessed by one. It doesn't really matter.” John answered, thinking things through.
 
“What do we do?” Dean asked, needing orders and trying to ignore the fact that they had just lost two good friends because of the bitch.
 
“I'm going to Lincoln.” John told them and the brother's stared at him in shock.
 
“What?” Dean got his voice back first.
 
“It doesn't seem like I have a choice. If I don't go, a lot of people die. Our friends die.” John tried to explain.
 
“Dad, the demon is coming tonight for Monica and her family. That gun is all we've got. You can't just hand it over.” Sam pleaded and then froze. Evan. Did Meg know about him? He'd be an easy target if he was at school, wouldn't he?
 
“Who said anything about handing it over? Look, besides us and a couple vampires, no one's really seen the gun. No one knows what it looks like.” John explained but Sam only half heard him as he thought about his wizard friend.
 
“So, what, you're just gonna pick up a ringer at a pawn shop?” Dean argued, not noticing Sam had completely spaced out.
 
“Antique store.” John corrected him.
 
“You're gonna hand Meg a fake gun and hope she doesn't notice?” Dean shot back, unable to believe what his father was doing.
 
“Look, as long as it's close, she shouldn't be able to tell the difference.”
 
“Evan.” John and Dean stared at him.
“We've got to warn him, he was in Chicago, what if she saw him?” Sam explained and Dean swore.
 
“But she's waiting for Dad n Lincoln and he's nowhere near there.” Dean said but it was obvious he was now worried. John sighed, he really didn't like how close they were to that man but could he let him die?
 
“Call him and warn him.” John ordered and Sam grabbed his phone, dialling from memory.
 
“Sam?” Sam relaxed as Evan's voice came over the speakers.
 
“Meg's back and killing our friends. Two other hunters are already dead. Since you were in Chicago...”
 
“I'm fine and nothing's triggered the campus wards but I'll reinforce them anyway. Need me?” Sam slumped, knowing his friend was safe and that he was willing to help them.
 
“Hold on.” Sam covered the mouthpiece with his hand. “Evan wants to know if we want help. He said nothing's disturbed the campus wards.” Dean looked to John and their father thought about it. Evan had after all survived a faceoff with the demon once before. But that would expose his boys to more magic. He frowned and Sam sighed.
 
“I trust him Dad and maybe he can do something so they think the gun really is the Colt.” Dean spoke up before Sam could and John nodded reluctantly.
 
“Fine, just make sure he knows what he's getting into.” Sam nodded and went back to talking to Evan.
 
“Thanks Dad.” Dean said and John turned to him.
 
“I don't like or trust him but you boys do and honestly I like you having more backup for this. I'd rather it stays within family but if I don't go more people will die. Just be careful.”
 
“Always am.” Dean answered as a crack was heard and Evan was in the room. Dean looked him over and had to swallow. Oh yeah, he had a crush, not that he'd ever admit it. Sammy might be fine with him liking guys but Dad? Better to keep quiet. And he'd never seen Evan dressed like that before! Tight black jeans hugged his legs and covered most of his black boots. A red t-shirt clung to his chest and arms, revealing muscles that were usually hidden by the slightly baggy clothing Dean was used to seeing him in. A black leather jacket was slung over his shoulder and his ever present bag hung from the other. His brown hair had grown longer since they'd last seen him and he had managed to get a bit of a tan. Dean fought a blush as laughing grey blue eyes met his. Did Evan know?
 
“Out on a date?” Sam teased his friend.
 
“Hardly.” Evan answered his British accent a little thicker than usual. He shrugged the jacket on and Dean noticed it fell half way down his calves and he found himself wanting to look past Evan. He blinked, fighting to look directly at the wizard and from the looks on his Dad and Sam's faces they were having the same problem.
“Battle robes, altered to fit in with muggle fashions better. Real handy for sneaking around. Made from dragon hide so they're fire resistant and take a lot of spell damage, boots are the same.” Evan explained and then took the coat off to their relief.
“So what's the plan?” Evan flopped down on Dean's bed and he had to shake his head slightly to dispel thoughts of what they could do on that bed. Evan was a wizard and he'd admitted they didn't know his real name. Getting involved with him was just plain crazy. And yet...he couldn't help wanting to.
 
“Meg wants me to bring her the Colt in Lincoln. I'll be taking a fake while you three have the real one. You go tonight and kill the demon.”
 
“While you hope the fake is good enough to fool her long enough for you to get away?” Evan finished and John nodded.
“Brilliant plan. Do you prefer cremation or burial?” Evan deadpanned, staring at John.
 
“It' the only plan we've got. I can buy you three time.” John snapped back.
 
“Yeah, but for how long? What happens when she figures it out?” Dean entered the argument; though watching Evan and their Dad argue was sort of fun.

“I just—I just need to buy a few hours, that's all.” John answered, voice softening slightly.
 
“You mean for Dean and me. You want us to stay here….and kill this demon by ourselves?” Sam added, leaving Evan out since they all knew John didn't like him. Evan shot him a wiry grin that said he was well aware of that fact.
 
“No, Sam. I want to stop losing people we love. I want you to go to school. I want Dean to have a home.” John turned away, trying not to cry in front of the wizard. “I want Mary alive.” John turned back to them. “I just….I just want this to be over.” Evan slipped from the room as he noticed the tears in Sam and Dean's eyes, he didn't want to get in the way of a family moment and hated the fact his own eyes were watering.
 
Sam shot Evan a watery smile when he came outside a few minutes later. Evan nodded and they went back inside to finish planning.
 
-----------------------
Evan was watching while Sam and John went through the weapons in the man's truck, getting them ready. He straightened up as the Impala pulled up.
 
“Did you get it?” John asked and Dean pulled out a gun wrapped in paper. Evan held out a hand and Dean handed it over before they both turned to look at John who reluctantly handed the real Colt over to Evan. The Winchester's watched as Evan held the guns and closed his eyes. Sam frowned as he heard him muttering in Latin but it was too soft to make out. A soft glow covered the wrapped gun for a second and then Evan opened his eyes and handed John the fake and Dean the real one.
 
“They're physically identical and I coated the bullets with magic. They won't kill a demon but they will hurt. It could buy you some more time.” Evan explained and John nodded.
 
“You know this is a trap, don't you? That's why Meg wants you to come alone.” Dean suddenly pointed out and John nodded.
 
“I can handle her. I got a whole arsenal loaded—holy water, Mandaic amulets-“ John explained but Evan still felt the dread coiled in his stomach. Maybe that reading hadn't been a fluke. A flick of his hand and John was layered with protective spells and several trackers. He would not let them loose their sole remaining parent.
 
“Dad….” Dean trailed off.
 
“What?”
 
“Promise me something.”
 
“What's that?”
 
“This thing goes south, just get the hell out. Don't get yourself killed, all right? You're no good to us dead.” Dean's plea made John pause for a second.
 
“Same goes for you. All right, listen to me.” John took the real Colt back an d held it up. “They made the bullets special for this Colt. There's only four of `em left. Without `em, this gun is useless. You make every shot count.”
 
“Yes, sir.” Sam answered, taking the Colt back.
 
“I've been waiting a long time for this fight. Now it's here, and I'm not gonna be in it. It's up to you boys now. It's your fight. You finish this. You finish what I started. You understand?” Both boys nodded.
 
“We'll see you soon, Dad.” Sam said, smiling and John nodded.
 
“I'll see you later. Evan, a word.” Evan followed John to the driver's door of his truck.
“Look after them for me.”
 
“I swear it.” Evan answered without a second thought.
“Take this.” Evan held out a small amulet and John raised an eyebrow.
“It's a protection against possession. I've been looking for them since Jess but this is the only one I've found and I think you'll need it. I don't know if it'll keep something like that yellow-eyed creep out but it'll stop Meg if she tries. Just hide it somewhere on you they won't think to check.”
 
“You think I'll need this?” John asked and Evan looked back at Sam and Dean.
 
“I suck at divination, always have. Then last week I felt the need to check with cards. I did two readings several days apart and the results were exactly the same. So yeah, keep that close.” Evan explained and John nodded before getting in his truck and driving away. Evan walked back towards the other two and just heard Dean's farewell to his Dad.
 
-----------------------------
Sam and Dean were huddled in the front seat of the Impala, across the street from Monica's house. They knew Evan was hidden in the bushes of the house next door but thanks to his jacket and several other spells he'd put up they couldn't actually see him.
 
“Maybe we can tell them there's a gas leak. Might get `em out of the house for a few hours.” Sam looked at Dean and he snorted.
 
“Yeah, and how many times has that actually worked for us?” Sam's silence was his answer.
 
“Could always tell `em the truth.” Dean just shot him a knowing look.
 
“Nah.”
 
“I know. I know, I know. I just—with what's coming for these people—“
 
“ Sam, we've only got one move, and you know it, all right? We've got to wait for that demon to show itself, and then we get it before it gets them.” Sam nodded, he knew he just didn't have to like it and he knew Evan didn't like it either.
 
“I wonder how Dad's doing.”
 
“I'd feel a lot better if we were there backin' him up.”
 
“I'd feel a lot better if he were here backin' us up.” Sam shot back.
 
“At least we have Evan watching our backs, Dad's got no one.” Dean replied and Sam nodded, falling quiet again.
 
Evan could see that Dean and Sam were talking but he didn't feel like invading their privacy to listen in, besides he was monitoring the wards he'd put up in the nursery and the ones on John. He prayed that both sets wouldn't go off at the same time because that was not a choice he wanted to make. He had sworn to John tat he would watch over his boys and yet could he let John die? He went utterly still as evil filled the air, time for round two with the demon. He waited until Dean and Sam got out of the car and went inside before breaking cover. He easily found handholds and scaled the wall until he was beside the nursery window and settled in to wait.
 
“What are you...” At the sound of a female voice Evan released his hold on the wall, swinging his body up and to the side, shattering the window as he flung himself through it and breaking the demons concentration so the woman was released. Sam burst inside, gun drawn to see Evan standing on front of Monica, shattered window glass all over the floor.
 
“You.” The demon stated angrily.
 
“Me.” Evan replied cheekily before throwing a cutting hex at it. Sam took aim and fired but the demon dissolved into a cloud of black smoke.
 
“Where the hell did it go?” Sam asked, lowering the gun. Evan grabbed Monica instead of answering and shoved her towards the door. Sam shook his head and then grabbed her other side, getting her into the hall. Dean ran past them into the nursery.
 
“My baby!” Monica cried and Evan tightened his grip.
 
“ Dean's got her.” Sam answered and they made her go down the stairs. As they tore outside the bedroom window exploded sending glass everywhere. Dean appeared from the house, a crying bundle clutched to his chest.
 
“You get away from my family.” Evan ignored the yelling man, staring back at the house. He could still feel the demon's presence.
 
“Charlie, don't! They saved us.” Monica took her baby back from Dean.
 
“It's still in there.” Sam cried, seeing the silhouette in the upstairs window. He moved towards the house but Dean grabbed him.
 
“Sam, no!” They wrestled with each other until Evan helped by grabbing Sam.
 
“Dean, let me go! It's still in there! Evan please!”
 
“Burning to the ground—it's suicide!” Dean yelled back.
 
“I don't care!” Sam yelled angrily.
 
“I do!” Dean yelled back. Evan ended the argument as he placed a hand on Sam and he collapsed, Dean barely catching his weight.
“What did you do!”
 
“Relax, he's asleep.” Evan answered.
“We need to go.” Dean glared for a second before it softened and he nodded. They carried Sam over to the Impala and lay him in the backseat, Evan getting shotgun.
 
“How long will he be out?”
 
“The rest of the night unless I wake him.” Evan answered as they headed back to the motel.
 
“What happened in there?” Dean asked since he hadn't seen anything.
 
“Sam took the shot and would have hit it but the demon dissolved into black smoke at the last second.”
 
--------------------------
Evan watched as Dean paced while calling John's phone again.
 
“He should have called by now.”
 
“Should I wake Sam?” Evan asked, raising a hand towards the snoring Winchester and Dean nodded. Evan brushed his fingers across Sam's face, letting the magic flow. A few seconds later Sam stretched on the bed and slowly blinked his eyes open.
 
“What happened?” And then Sam bolted upright.
“The Demon!”
 
“Got away.” Dean answered flatly.
 
“If you had just let me go in there, I could have ended all this.” Sam said angrily as Evan retreated to the far corner of the room, it wasn't his fight.
 
“Sam, the only thing you would have ended was your life.” Dean shot back tiredly.
 
“You don't know that.” Sam argued.
 
“So, what, you're just willing to sacrifice yourself, is that it?”
 
“Yeah. Yeah, you're damn right I am.” Sam was standing now, angrily facing Dean.
 
“Yeah, well, that's not gonna happen—not as long as I'm around.”
 
“What the hell are you talkin' about, Dean? We've been searching for this demon our whole lives. It's the only thing we've ever cared about.”
 
“Sam, I wanna waste it. I do, okay? But it's not worth dyin' over.”
 
“What?” Sam was puzzled now and Evan relaxed a little.
 
“ I mean it. If huntin' this demon means you gettin' yourself killed, then I hope we never find the damn thing.” Sam tensed angrily and Evan got ready to interfere if it came to blows.
 
“That thing killed Jess. That thing killed Mom.”
 
“You said yourself once….that no matter what we do, they're gone. And they're never comin' back. Sam grabbed Dean by the shirt and pinned him to the wall.
 
“Don't you say that! Don't you—not after all this, don't you say that!” Sam yelled angrily and Evan moved closer but Dean saw him and shook his head.
 
“Sammy, look….the three of us—that's all we have. And that's all I have. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely holdin' it together, man.” Sam let go of him, tears gathering in his eyes. “Without you and Dad….” Sam turned away from Dean.
 
“Dad…. He should have called by now. Have you tried calling him?” Dean nodded but picked up his phone and dialled.
 
“You boys really screwed up this time.” Dean froze as Meg answered the phone.
 
“Where is he?” Dean growled and Sam and Evan shared worried looks, moving closer to Dean.
 
“You're never going to see your father again.” She stated and all three exchanged worried looks as she hung up.
 
TBC...