Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Why? ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
For something that didn't happen, it caused a great change in Hermione's life. But whether the change was a good one or a bad one, she couldn't be too sure. It was a combination of both. For one, Draco Malfoy no longer insulted her all the time. In fact he never spoke to her or looked at her unless it was necessary, and even then he did so reluctantly, preferrring not to meet her gaze and worry about what to do to make the situation less awkward. But his refusal to cooperate with her interfered with the Head Duties. Patrol was difficult because he would always walk far ahead of her, determined not to let thier air mingle and cause another episode, and he would no longer bring up ideas or argue with her over the duties they had and how to do them. Instead he just shrugged, nodded, and continued staring at the floor whenever she figured out a way to do something better.

After two weeks Ron and Harry noticed how they were suddenly no longer insulted all the time, but they also noticed that Malfoy looked "depressed." Hermione scoffed at that idea. What did he have to be depressed about? He kissed her, not the other way around, although it didn't happen.

Unfortunately those two weeks managed to frustrate Hermione to no end. She hated to admit it, but Malfoy had given her something to hate. In the past she could have thought about all the lovely ways to hex him, or just paced about her room in an angry flurry, content in her silent ranting against him. He occupied time. He amused her. He was, quite oddly enough, her most beloved enemy, and he amused her.

Besides, it wasn't often that one came across someone who had the intelligence she did. Quite frankly she had enjoyed calling him a dimwitted fool a few months ago, only to be met with "Silence wench!!!" How many men said wench? Granted it was an insult equal to that of calling someone a female dog, but then again, her mental image of the word wench always brought up some extraordinarily beautiful barmaid with a sassy mouth and a knight in love with her somewhere in the 1300's. It was romantic sounding, even though it was from the wrong mouth entirely.

And it wasn't as though he made a bad Head Boy. On the contrary, he was excellent at it. Best of all was that he never let his duties interfere with his schoolwork, which was always done, if not the same night, then the night after.

She stabbed at the food on her plate angrily, ignoring the odd glances Harry, Ron, and Ginny gave her as she scowled at her food.

Dear Merlin, listen to her thoughts! She sounded like some besotted school girl. Worse of all was who the besotment was over. Draco Malfoy of all people! Granted, he had many qualities that made him okay, but he was still a rich, stuck-up, irritating, cruel, beastly boy with no heart or conscious and certainly no morals. This opinion was undoubtedly based on him calling her a mudblood, or a muggle born for years, but now that she thought of it, that was the worse he had ever done.

A hand covered hers and she looked up at Ron.

"Hermione, I think that food is cut into small enough peices." He said, as Harry and Ginny held back laughter. She glared at them, then stood. She wasn't that hungry anyway, and she had homework to do. As well as a potions essay.

"Excuse me, I'm going to go do some work." She said in a cold voice. Grabbing her bag she left the great hall and dinner. If she got hungry later she would just got to the kitchen anyway, but somehow Hermione doubted she would.

oooooooooo

Draco stumbled wearily off the stairs leading to the heads dorms. He had just come from the Slytherin common room, where Blaise had managed to smuggle in some fire whiskey. Well...more than some actually. His blurry gaze focused on the picture in front of him, and he slurred out the password.

Dear lord he hoped that Hermi..Granger wasn't out. The last thing he needed was to be caught in his disheveled state by the one witch he knew he wouldn't be able to keep his hands off of. Not only that he knew she would probably interrogate him as to why he was drunk, as well as yell at him for being so foolish as to dishonor the title of Hogwarts Head Boy so terribly.

The picture swung open and he climbed in, accidentaly catching his foot in his robes and nearly tripping.

Why on earth was it so bloody dark in here? He wondered angrily, and pulled out his wand.

"Lumos." He said, only it came out more like "Mulos." He said it again, then shoved his wand in his pocket angrily when it didn't work. Just like everything else in his bloody life, like keeping Pansy away and pleasing his father.

He stumbled over blindly to the wall, then moved his hands along until he encountered the door to the bathroom. Right now, his plan of action was to go in, climb into the bath fully clothed, then strip to take a shower after his clothes no longer smelled of alcohol, and possibly go to bed in the nude. If he could fall asleep that was.

He shoved the door open, ignoring the irritating creak it made and the steam coming from the shower and began to move towards it.

Humph, mudblood must have left it running.

He opened the curtain and stepped in.

oooooooooo

Was it too much to ask? Was it? Was it too much to ask that her life have pleasent surprises as opposed to seriously unpleasant, frightening, and utterly embarrassing surprises? Surprises such as a very drunk Draco Malfoy pulling the curtain back on her right as her arms were raised to scrub away her shampoo and stepping into the shower with her. Worse yet, he smelled of booze, and his eyes were half-lidded like he could barely lift them. But lift them he did, right into her eyes, and then they dropped to her body.

He gave a lopsided grin, and immediately made a kissy face at her while pulling her into his arms.

Hermione did the only thing she could think of at the time.

She screamed.

oooooooooo

I know it's short, terribly short, but I have like no ideas at all. I just thought this would be pretty amusing though, and have a basic idea for the next chappie lined up. So yeah...that may come a little sooner than this one did. Read and review please! ^.^