Harvest Moon Fan Fiction ❯ My Enemy, My Friend ❯ Types of Rules and Types of Guys ( Chapter 12 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Huzzah for super long chapter 12! Longest chapter I've written with nearly a whopping 20 pages! :O I hope it meets everyone's expectations, and was worth the…uh…I think it's been 2 weeks…between the last update ^^ Special thanks to Reima-chan and Hannah as always, for giving me my much needed kick in the behind to get going, and of course to help me edit and what not. I appreciate all the reviews and those who read and didn't. Special acknowledgment to the reviewers( hopefully I didn't leave anyone out.)
 
The Yellow Scrapbook- Yes Gray is an adorable evil genius with a diabolical laugh xD I plan on giving Saibara a bigger part in this story eventually. I hope that readers enjoy his character.
Reima-chan- Curse you writer's block! Leave her alone!!!*sprays writer's block repelant.*
KCemployee- I'm glad you like it…and just whom would that random guy be? xD
Lemo- Huzzah for Ouran! xD …o-o don't worry. Claire doesn't have multiple personalities…I think :-/. That was a cool movie though- the nickname stuff will be explained better on down the line ^^
MistressLeia- *blushes* awww shucks. ^^ thanks so much for the compliments. LOL- it is an unusual triangle isn't it? I haven't seen many Gray/Kai ones…but I have plot bunnies jumping about. I have to ignore them till this is done though. xD
lumanova03- I mentioned you again xD Now when everyone who actually reads this gets down here- go read lumanova03's story! So says Jeannie-chan.(please) xD
HmGirly12- Gray has a stalker ^^ Yes, poor Tim. He just wanted a date and mean old Gray had to mess it up for him. xD
Flaming Black Skull- Thanks so much…yes I must think of other ways to incorporate Cliff in to this, as well as other characters. *evil laugh*
Hajischevalier12- All shall be revealed soon…ish…er…maybe. It will come, don't worry. ^_^
mayouh101- Thanks you so much (bows 90 degrees as well) I'm glad you liked it.
Suupaa Panda- When you read, I'm sure you will discover that I specially did something just for you in this chapter ^^ (and no its not your lemon- *dodges brick hurled by angry Suupaa Panda*)
Libra1- LOL! Me too! I can't wait either…I think I've written three different versions so far…but I'm sure I'll keep at it until I'm satisfied. But it will be a little while longer. Thanks so much for reviewing^^
AdaLeon- its alright. We all read and don't review from time to time. Thanks for the vow though ;P
 
Disclaimer- I do not own Harvest Moon or Ouran.
 
 
 
 
Claire's P.O.V.
Today was the day, the day I made my break from the wonderful world of those with broken legs to the world of healthy farm women. To say I should be ecstatic would be an understatement. I should be sprinting onwards to the clinic to get the medical professionals okay to remove this blasted brace and burn in, all the while dancing around the flames while I roasted marshmallows and made smores over its roasting carcass!
So why then, can I not even bring myself to find the desire to get dressed and leave the house? I really couldn't make myself awake enough to get out of my bed. I was just so tired. My body ached and protested, begging me for sleep, but my brain would not shut off. My mind just would not stop reeling, determined to not shut down and surrender to sleep, in fear that while it slept more of the past would creep out of that place it was banished to.
Was my past really that bad, that I felt then need to mentally shut out anything that had a relation to the past? Of course it wasn't. Everyone has done things in the past, experienced things that they wish they hadn't. I wasn't special; I didn't want pity from others. That's why I'd rather not discuss events in my past. People in this place might find them tragic, but I had known others with far more tragedy in their lives.
I couldn't stop thinking , not about a person, nor an event. I could not stop thinking about certain rules, certain behaviors that I had not practiced, nor had the desire to practice in a long time. I was irritated with myself for unconsciously following those said rules for the remainder of the spring. It wasn't like it was unwanted behavior. The older people in this village had found it refreshing and endearing.
But that's not who I wanted to be. Not this way. I was…I must be going out of my mind for getting ticked off that people liked me because I had manners. I mean, I was seriously losing sleep over my mannerisms, my etiquette!
I kicked the blankets off me and slowly drug myself up, beginning to get dressed. I couldn't help but be aggravated with myself. You can't just cut off what you've been taught to do and say. But that isn't what bothered me. The fact that those ideals, those beliefs, were infiltrating the way I thought is what scared me.
It was un-lady like to show an extreme amount of emotion, as it made gentlemen uncomfortable. Ladies are supposed to keep their wits about them, so as not to embarrass themselves, their family, or their intended. The ability to control ones emotions is what separated the ladies, the elite, from the rest of the world's uneducated women. It didn't matter if one was of great intellect if they could not control themselves. It was one of the first rules to becoming…a perfect lady.
I yanked my door open angrily and slammed it shut behind me as I stormed towards the clinic. My brain couldn't cease repeating rules and qualities to me. I felt my shoulders go back and mentally screamed. Head up, shoulders back, stomach in. Glide when you walk to give a graceful appearance. Keep your eyes straight ahead and do not let you gaze wonder. If one can teach oneself to ignore distractions, one can keep on the straight and narrow. To this day that part of this fricking rule made no sense to me. Ladies do not use such language- it shows ill-breed roots. I sneered at that comment. I was ill-breed. I was just a mutt, trying to fit in with a bunch of pedigreed pups.
You cannot change where you are from, but you can change where you are going. I actually liked this particular one. It gave me hope, even if that was not what is what meant for. Not the meaning, but the metaphoric meaning behind it.
Reality is the place to be. Ladies are realist, not dreamers or over achievers. This is icing on the cake. The only damn goal a lady had was to snare herself a rich man. Ladies do not use such language. I heard you the first time. Goddess, what did I need to get this to stop?
“You seem to be elsewhere today,” a masculine voice stated and I shook my head. I look at Tim, his dark brown eyes searching mine curiously. When did I arrive at the clinic? I looked down to see he had removed the brace and then back to him.
“I'm sorry,” I said, not sure what I was expected to say.
“You look like you haven't been getting enough rest,” he said as he turned his head to the side.
“I've had trouble sleeping,” I admitted quietly.
“I'll fix you a prescription to help you then,” he offered and I narrowed my eyes.
“No,” I whispered and clenched my fist. I wasn't taking any medicine.
“It's perfectly alright,” he began but I jerked my head up and looked him dead in the eye.
“I said no,” I growled and he remained silent. I was snapping at people now. I took a few breaths and shook my head in disbelief. “I'm sorry. I just…don't like to take medicine unless I have to, alright?” I stated with a sigh.
 
Tim's P.O.V.
Concern was one of the emotions tugging at my insides. The other was the determination to at least try to do something. Claire looked simply horrible. Her blonde hair was messy and dull, and she had extremely dark circles under her blood-shot eyes. Her attention span seemed to be suffering as well from the exhaustion, as she had just seemed to realize that she was even here.
I had decided that the best course of action would be to play dead. It was the safest option I had at this point, but the safest option rarely gave you the results you wanted. So I decided to take another chance, hoping that my head would still be attached to my shoulders when this visit was over.
“I understand that, Claire,” I began, slowly trying to work around her irritability and her sidetracked mind. Whatever was bothering her must have been eating away at her awhile to have her looking like this.
“I'm glad,” she said with a small smile and I returned it.
“I'm only concerned about you. No offense was intended,” I said softly as her pale blue eyes looked at me with surprise.
“No need to be concerned about me. I'm fine,” she said and shrugged her shoulders. “I've just had a lot on my mind,” she added after a moment, and her eyes diverted from mine.
“If you need to confide in someone, I've been told I'm an excellent candidate,” I said with a small chuckle.
“Thank you, but no thank you,” she whispered as she began to stand. “I like to keep my business just that, my business,” she mumbled and put her hand on the back of her head. “But I'll keep you in mind,” she added with a small giggle.
“I'm glad,” I whispered and ruffled her hair before I realized it. She stared up at me blankly before becoming suddenly interested in her feet.
“I meant to tell you thank you, by the way” she whispered, barely audible. “For the cookies you brought me on thanksgiving,” she added as she gave an embarrassed smile, her cheeks flushing slightly.
It was now my turn to find my feet interesting. I had agonized on whether or not to go and give her the cookies I had attempted all day to make. Elli had finally insisted that I go over to Claire's and present the woman with the cookies or throw them in the trash, as she was quite fed up with my pacing and muttering to myself.
It had been nerve wrecking to walk to her farm and stand outside the door with the carefully wrapped sweets, waiting to present the object of my affection with my token of appreciation. To say she was surprised to see me on her door step would have been an understatement. I was quite glad that I was not attacked by any farm equipment on this visit, and instead was given an awkward smile.
“I'm glad. I've…never been a good cook. I hope they didn't make you ill,” I mumbled and I felt my face becoming feverish as well.
“They were fine. I was just…surprised, that's all. I wasn't expecting anything, let alone from you,” she was talking a little bit louder now, and she let out a small laugh. I felt my shoulders relax as I realized my gift hadn't gone unappreciated.
“Take the next few days easy, unless you just want to wake up here,” I said with a smile. It was meant to be both a warning and a joke. The blonde simply nodded and left the clinic without another word.
I closed her medical file and placed it on my desk for filing. It was a step forward, that's for sure. The safest course of action wasn't always the best.
 
Claire's P.O.V.
I noticed that my leg felt lighter, and briefly marveled in my rediscovered ability to walk without waddling. It was wonderful to be brace free, and I felt like jumping about and doing things that I wouldn't normally do, but yet since I had been unable to do them for over a season, felt a strange desire to do.
I stopped in front of the library and decided to go in, despite my already straying mind. It had been nice that Tim had offered to listen to me, but frankly I was uncomfortable with talking seriously to people I was close with, let alone him. Perhaps if Mary weren't busy, then I could talk to her a little. Just to let off some steam.
Fate wasn't on my side as I entered and saw the young raven haired girl writing up a storm at her desk. She was in her `zone' and I knew better than to disturb her. When Mary gets into these writing frenzies she doesn't appreciate being disturbed for anything short of either death or a library related emergency. So I decided to trudge (carefully to keep from ending up injured again) upstairs to retrieve some reading material until her writing storm passed.
However, when I reached the peak of the stairs, I couldn't contain my shocked gasp or keep my jaw from dropping. I stared in disbelief at the hundreds of disarrayed books littering the second floor for a few moments before lunging towards the railing to peer down at one empty shelf.
“Goddess, Mary,” I blurted out as I felt extremely guilty. “Why didn't you tell me that you could use the help getting this picked up? I thought you said you had already taken care of it!” I shouted down at her and couldn't have felt any guiltier than I already did as she sat her pen down and glanced up at me.
“I…well, I did… but...” she blushed deeply as she began but was interrupted by Gray entering the library. He looked at her red face and then up at me.
“Did you know about this,” I shouted at him exasperatedly as I pointed to the chaos behind me.
“What,” he asked with a confused expression.
“This monstrosity of a mess… I can't believe you lied to me Mary! I could have been coming to help in the afternoons all spring,” I ranted about as I continued to turn from the mess to the mortified librarian. I heard rushed footsteps and turned to see the blacksmith apprentice rushing up the stairs, his expression becoming one of a cross between amusement and annoyance.
“Mary,” he muttered as he removed his hat, pushing his bangs back frustratingly. “You said that you had taken care of this,” he scolded as he examined the chaos of towering book stacks.
“I did take care of it. I took everything up stairs to get it out of the way. I started to put the books away, but every time I pick one up…” she trailed off and I saw Gray lean over the railing at the same time I did, both of us following Mary's gaze to several small piles of books next to her desk.
“You have no self control,” I giggled and smacked my forehead in a `duh' fashion.
“That's not it. I just haven't read them in so long,” she scrunched up her nose as I began to laugh hard at her explanation.
“We should have expected this from you,” I finally said and looked at Gray who was trying extremely hard not to laugh at the fuming woman on the first floor. “I suppose that now that we've found her stash, we should force our help on her,” I snickered as I elbowed him gently.
“Seeing as how we're the source of the mess, I suppose so,” he answered as his body shook slightly from holding in his laughter.
“We'll, if you two would like to help, I expect you both here tomorrow to do so. Today I just feel like writing,” Mary stated as she sat back down and picked her pen up. I shook my head and turned to go down stairs, but ran into Gray's chest.
“Ow,” I grunted and rubbed my nose. Goddess, he was solid wasn't he? I looked up to see him looking down at me blankly.
“You alright?” he asked quietly.
“I guess so,” I said with a sigh.”Why?”
“You look like crap,” he replied but I saw his face change from blank to embarrassed before I could retort. “I mean…you look really tired, you know. Like you might be getting sick,” he hurriedly added.
“I…I know,” I admitted and folded my arms over my chest. It was the truth, I did look like crap. “I'm not sick…I just…haven't been getting a lot of sleep, you know.” I saw him give a nod, but he still didn't move out of the way. “How's your shoulder?”
“It's alright, almost completely healed up,” he said with a small smile. “I see your leg is better now.”
“Yeah, just got the okay to get rid of the brace,” I replied with my own small smile. Thank Goddess I was brace free.
“Must be nice,” he said quietly and I gave a shrug in response.
“It's alright…So,” I said and shifted my feet. This was getting awkward.
“So,” he repeated and began to look at the wall. Really awkward.
“You know, you two don't have to force a conversation right now. That was a good try though,” Mary's voice said loudly and her small giggle followed. Gray moved aside and I began the decent downstairs.
“Mary, will you let me know when you're done,” I asked as she continued scribbling.
“Of course, Claire,” she said without stopping or looking up at me. I sat in a chair in the far side of the room, plucking a random book off the shelf to read. I didn't know what I grabbed, but as I began to read the words blurred. I tried to fight the sleepiness and the yawns, but I felt my head drooping and finally my vision went black.
Gray's P.O.V.
I looked up from my book when I heard the slightest thump of something hitting the ground lightly. I stood and stretched, looking over my shoulder at Mary, who was still writing away. It must have been about 45 minutes since I began reading my book. I walked to the far end of the library and saw a large book on the ground, just out of reach of a slender hand that hung limply over the arm of the oversized chair.
Claire had fallen asleep, very peacefully it seemed, in the back of the library. I turned and walked away, towards Mary's desk. She didn't acknowledge me as I opened the small storage closet behind her desk and grabbed one of her blankets from inside the cramped area. I returned to the slumbering farmer and placed the blanket over her. It was cold in the library after all. I was getting a little chilly and I had on a jacket.
I stopped before I walked away again, bending down to pick up the discarded book. I placed it on the small table in front of the chair and turned to walk back to my place. I really hoped that this nap would serve her good. She didn't look to good right now, and Goddess knows what type of half-asleep injuries she could inflict upon herself if given the opportunity. I sat back down and began to read my book again, my thoughts of anything not having to do with this story leaving me immediately.
I'm not sure how long I sat there reading before I heard footsteps heading in the direction of the sleeping girl. I put my book down and checked Mary's desk. She had left her post and her voice quietly came from the other side of the room.
“Claire, sweetie, I'm done writing,” she said warmly and I heard a stifled giggle, followed by a
“Five more minutes…”
“Come on Claire. What did you need to talk to me about?” Mary asked and I heard the sliding of wood on wood. She must have pulled a chair up to Claire's.
“I wanted…to ask your advice…or…at least,” Claire let out a yawn. “Sorry. I wanted to talk to you…about something that's been bothering me,” she said sleepily.
“What, are you sure that's not just the sleep deprivation talking?” Mary said with a serious tone.
“No. Don't get all uptight about it. Nothing happened or anything. I've just been having these impulses lately,” Claire mumbled and I strained to listen intently.
“What do you mean,” Mary asked, curiosity heavy in her voice.
“It's complicated, Mary. Let me see…when I was younger, I was taught certain rules, okay,” she began, and I could almost hear the confusion in Claire's voice. “The rules weren't bad or anything, but I haven't followed them in a very long time. All of a sudden though, I can't stop myself from following them…Goddess this sounds so stupid,” Claire muttered.
“I'm not sure I understand completely. I think if you want my opinion, you'll have to give me more details,” Mary said thoughtfully.
“I don't really know what I'm talking about myself,” Claire replied and then a silent pause followed. “I suppose it's just really all in my head anyway. Never mind. Forget I said anything.”
“Well, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hey Claire, why don't we go to the inn tonight? I'll get all the girls together and we can have a celebration in honor of your good health,” Mary said, her voice rising with excitement.
“I suppose we could. I'd have to go home and finish up my chores first. I'll just meet you guys there, okay,” Claire said with a little bit more pep and I heard the two women walk towards the front. I remained silent as Mary and Claire said their goodbyes and the blonde left.
“That was very thoughtful of you Gray,” Mary suddenly said and I looked over at her to see her returning the blanket to the closet.
“Don't mention it,” I said quietly. Ever, especially to Claire, I added in my head. Mary walked over towards me and examined my book.
“Are you going to check this one out?” she asked curiously.
“No, I think I'll just save it for after we get the library cleaned up,” I said as I marked my page and placed the book on the small table next to me.
“Well, I have to ask you to leave, as I have to close up and round up some friends,” she giggled as she tossed her braid over her shoulder.
“I heard,” I stated as I stood. There would be a bunch of harpies at the inn tonight. No sleep for Cliff and I. Might as well go by the winery and let him know. “See you tomorrow, then.” Mary nodded and walked me to the door.
“Can you believe Spring is already ending? It's just amazing how time flies, isn't it?” She said and when I looked at her, I figured she was talking more to herself than to me. I could tell that her mind was reeling, something occupying it.
“Mmmm,” I replied as we both left the library, Mary locking the door behind her.
“Isn't summer time wonderful Gray? There's so much to do. There's the beach festival, the tomato festival, the chicken festival, the Fireworks! Kai will open up the snack shack and have snow cones,” she was rambling on and I chuckled as I placed a hand affectionately around her shoulders, causing both of us to blush. “Gray,” she whispered questioningly.
“Yeah, it is,” I whispered. Mary parted with me to go into the clinic to talk to Elli.
At the Inn, Gray's P.O.V.
I sat at the bar, looking at my father as he rambled on to Ann and I about how he was getting old and wanted to see his hypothetical grandchildren before old age made him go blind. This was actually a new version of his `find a wife/husband' speech. It usually went along something of the lines of `I will be too old to hear the pitter patter of little feet by the time my stubborn son and unfeminine daughter find spouses that will put up with them.'
I rolled my eyes as he turned his focus towards Ann. He evidently put more of his nonexistent future grandchildren hopes into her than he did me. He fully believed that I had to much of my mother's stubborn streak and Grandpa's pride in me to find a girl around here. Now where was the belief in your kids' right there?
“Gray, boy you had better be listening. You'll be lucky to find a girl to put up with you, you know?” he scolded and I slapped the counter rather hard.
“And just exactly what do you mean by that dad?” I growled out. It has still early evening and I was already fed up with this crap. “What's wrong with me?” I muttered and folded my arms over my chest angrily.
“You have a terrible temper, for starters,” I heard a voice say quietly from behind me. I turned quickly to glare at a certain blonde who shrugged off my death glare. She took the stool opposite of Ann and smiled at dad. “Can I have a grape juice, please,” she asked with a bright smile.
“Claire, I wasn't expecting you for about another hour,” Ann greeted and slapped the blonde's shoulder rather hard. “How does it feel to be able to do all the things you couldn't do with a busted leg?”
“It's alright. But I see that Gray is already trying to injure something or someone else. Poor counter top,” she laughed and then turned towards me. I scowled at her and she sighed. “Sorry, but habits can be hard to break. Let me think,” she murmured and placed her pointer finger on her chin, taping every few seconds.
“Well,” I grunted and looked at her expectantly.
“You have a conflicting personality. It would be hard to find someone who could cope with that,” she began and I cocked my head to the side.
“Conflicting personality,” I repeated, feeling one of my eyebrows rise curiously. What was that supposed to mean?
“Yeah…you can be either of two extremes, you know,” she said thoughtfully. I know she wasn't trying to be insulting or mean anything hurtful. She was being blunt.
“No, I don't know,” I said and gave her a `please enlighten me' stare.
“Well, take you and me. We either get along or we don't. There hasn't ever been an in between for us. No gray area- no pun intended,” she added quickly. “I suppose, what I mean is… you can be nice if you want to.”
“I think I understand,” I interjected before she could talk herself into a corner and we ended up fighting. I think I really did understand what she meant. I was a complicated individual.
“You'd have to find a girl to put up with you that is extremely patient, but there is hope,” she finally stated, her grin so large it caused her eyes to shut. Ann giggled and shrugged her shoulders behind her. I rolled my eyes in annoyance.
“That's not completely true, Claire,” I snapped my head towards my father as he placed her glass in front of her.
“It's not?” both she and Ann questioned with confused expressions.
“If he were to find a woman as stubborn and ornery as him,” he began and I rolled my eyes.
“Not now, alright dad,” I grunted and he winked at me.
“Fine, I'll leave it at that for now,” he chuckled and turned back towards Claire.
“Claire, what's a beautiful girl like you still doing single?” he asked, causing Claire to choke on her juice and Ann to burst into a fit of laughter, pounding the counter. I automatically started patting Claire on the back. What a way to go, death by juice.
“Oh,” she gasped and her cheeks began to blush. “Just lucky I guess,” she giggled and moved to get down from the bar stool as Ann went to greet Karen who had just entered the bar.
“You know,” dad said as he grabbed her arm to stop her. “If you ever want to go out on a date, Gray is always free,” he waggled his eyebrows and began laughing as I made a desperate grab to strangle the man who jumped back from my reach. I was going to put him in the worst old folks home I could find when he got old and decrepit. Just you wait old man. I'll get you back for this.
“As tempting as that sounds, I get the feeling that Gray isn't interested in me that way,” Claire replied with a small smile. Though the look on her face was horrific, at least she was trying to restrains herself from screaming `cooties' or something like that. She turned and walked away and I threw a wadded up napkin at my father.
“You know you're going to be really old and feeble one day, and you're going to expect me to take care of you,” I stated and he automatically placed a mug of beer in front of me.
“Just drink all those frustrations away with this. Tomorrow will be a brighter day,” he began but I was watching the raven haired librarian and the pink haired oddity that had just walked in approach the table of girls.
“Well the party is all here, isn't it?” I muttered to myself and took a swig.
“Now they are,” Dad answered and I looked to the door, feeling my stomach lurch as Elli entered the inn, dragging an unwilling doctor behind her. To my discomfort she pushed him towards the bar.
“Just go over there and take a break from your work, alright. Just a few hours, then we'll leave,” she scolded and I couldn't fight my brain from laughing hysterically at the grown man getting bullied by the younger woman.
“Good evening, Doug” Tim said quietly as he took a seat three stools down from me.
“Here you go Doc, on the house,” dad said with a laugh as he placed a beer in front of him.
“Greatly appreciated,” Tim said as he looked towards the table of girls, chatting away.
“Hey guys, what is going on?” I looked to my right to see Rick sit down. “My usual, please,” he said with a large grin. “Why are all the girls here?” he asked me as he pulled of his glasses and began to clean them.
“Celebrating Claire's good health,” Tim answered monotonously.
“Karen is just using it as an excuse to drink more than usual,” a new voice interjected and I acknowledged Cliff with a nod.
“You boys want to know something I've learned from years at my job,” my father suddenly said quietly. I looked at him oddly and then shrugged. The others must have had similar responses. “ It might interest you young men to know, that when ladies get together like this, and especially when there is a bit of alcohol involved, that the conversation turns to boys.” I felt my eyes widen as the meaning of what he said hit me.
“So what,” Rick said with a shrug. “I don't care” he began but I glared at him.
“Maybe you don't care, but the rest of us might,” I hissed and looked at the table of girls out of the corner of my eye. Stupid Rick. He had a girlfriend, so he just wanted to screw it up for the rest of us.
“Care about what, I don't understand.” He muttered, sulking, and I raised my eyebrows. Stupid Rick, didn't even know what was implied to begin with.
“They're going to be talking about us,” Cliff whispered as a faint blush appeared on his face.
“Oh…OH” Rick said loudly in understanding
“SHHH!” he was shushed by three of us. Wait, three of us? Tim had been included in that shush.
“So…Doug, how long until they begin?” Tim asked quietly and I looked at my dad expectantly.
“About an hour,” he replied with a smirk and walked away, carrying a tray full of drinks for the girls over to the table.
About one hour later.
“So that was that. I told Duke to pay up or get out,” Karen laughed and downed another drink. I took a deep breath. If I had to hear that story one more time, I'd pummel Duke myself. Who the hell does he think he is anyway? I didn't have a tab and I didn't want to hear about the one that Duke thought he had.
“Karen, how any man can put up with you, I'll never know,” Elli giggled and my ears perked up, as did the ones of other men around me.
“Come on, Elli, I'm not that bad,” Karen insisted and I stifled a laugh as Ann looked over at the bar, giggling loudly to Rick.
“Rick, I feel soooo sorry for you. Having to put up with her, and Popuri on top of it!”
“Hey! I resent that. It's not my fault that Rick thinks I need to be watched like a hawk,” Popuri scowled and tossed her pink hair behind her as she did so.
“Like you have room to talk,” Karen snickered to Ann, causing her to blush. “Any man that likes you has to worry about you beating them to a bloody pulp,” she hit the table for emphasis. I think I heard a light chuckle come out of Cliff at that statement.
“Agreed,” I heard a voice closer to me whisper and shifted my eyes to see Tim smirking at his fresh mug of beer.
“What about you Elli, how is your love life?” I heard Popuri ask the blushing nurse.
“I think I might like someone, but they aren't from around here,” the nurse whispered as she turned a deep crimson shade.
“Who,” Karen prodded and the nurse crossed her arms hotly.
“I'll never tell any of you until I'm ready, so just go ahead and stop it now,” she muttered and despite trying her best to look angry, couldn't get the flustered look of her face.
“Look at her face! I bet he's a steamy dreamy hunk of hotness,” Popuri sighed and got this far off look in her eyes.
“What?”Claire asked incredulously. “Where did you learn that description?”
“Probably from the romance section of the library,” Mary stated with a giggle. Claire raised an eyebrow at her and Mary immediately began to blush.
“And you would have a romance section because…” she trailed off teasingly.
“Every girl dreams of romance Claire,” Karen stated carelessly. Claire rolled her eyes.
“It's a woman's greatest dream!” Ann suddenly screamed, hitting the table with her fists, and I blamed the sudden flames of intensity behind her on the 3 beers I previously consumed. She jumped up on the table as she began to rant. “Every girl dreams of her prince charming whisking her away for adventure and her happily ever after. Whether you be a beautiful girl looking for adventure” she pointed to Karen who sighed and rested her head on her hand. “A captivating beauty locked up in a tower,” her finger landed on Mary who also placed her elbows on the table, sighing dreamily. “An overworked lady looking for the love of her life,” I think her finger landed on Elli briefly that time. “a sheltered girl dreaming of her future with a great man,” that one was for Popuri. Ann jerked her thumb to her chest and continued “A lively red head forced to toil away in this shack all day long, desperate to be whisked away by a person, preferably a tall dark handsome guy who recoils at the sight of alcohol, or even if you're a…” Ann pointed at Claire but her lively and humorous speech died on her lips.
Claire gave a bemused expression. “A plain realistic woman, who works everyday to the brink of exhaustion, but despite the blonde hair is intelligent enough to know that fairytales only complicate matters.” She finished as her pale blue eyes landed on her drink and she downed it immediately.
“What's got your panties all in a twist,” Ann muttered as she removed herself from the top of the table and returned to her chair. Mary looked down at her own drink and sipped in thoughtfully.
“What kind of guy do you like Claire?” Mary asked and waited for an answer.
“Me? That's easy. None,” the blonde giggled and then stopped at the five horrified expressions directed towards her. “What?” she asked nervously.
“What? Well, let me see here,” Karen said flipping her hair over her shoulder. “Are you saying you've never liked a guy?”
“Of course I've liked a guy,” Claire retorted embarrassedly.
“What was he like?” Karen asked with a smile.
“I don't remember,” Claire muttered, feigning ignorance.
“You don't remember what type of guy he was?” Ann repeated, her sarcastic look of shock ignored.
“Look, you want to know what types of guys are in the world? You've got most of them all here in Mineral Town,” Claire snapped and I watched as she grabbed her glass, filling it with wine. If she didn't slow down she was going to get hammered.
“There is the type like Cliff, quite and shy. Damn near impossible to get to open up. For the most part he's just a brick wall, but when you get to know him he's a great guy. Reliable, honest, and trustworthy.” She took another shot as the girls all nodded in approval of her analysis.
“Rick,” Karen offered and Claire smirked.
“Easy. For the most part sane, but on occasion over emotional. He's feels things strongly and to the extreme. He's intelligent and in most cases compromising. He's overprotective, but in around about way its cool, because he will be there for you to protect you no matter what. He's a great guy, and willing to bend as long as it's not something he's already made up his mind about.” She took another shot.
“The Doctor,” Elli said, a smile upon her face.
“Stoic, intelligent, clever, could also be seen as cunning. Guys like that are one of the types you want to watch out for. It's not necessarily that they're bad guys, but they can go to questionable extremes to get what they want. But as long as the ends justify the means to them, they don't care.” She snorted as she finished. She reached to poor some more wine and Mary grabbed her hand to keep from downing the bottle.
“Slow down, alright. We're all having fun,” she said softly and Claire looked at her blankly before grinning and ruffling Mary's bangs.
“You're so cute when you're worried,” she giggled and I sighed. Claire was fast reaching the far side of tipsy.
“What about Gray?” I narrowed my eyes at Ann's curious expression.
“Pshhht,” Claire said with a snicker.
“Why do you hate my brother so much?” Ann asked with a frustrated sigh.
“I don't hate him…I just…have a strong urge to stab him in the cheek with a fork when he opens his mouth.” Note to self: keep an eye out for crazed blonde wielding an eating utensil.
“That's the first time I've heard it put that way,” Ann giggled and Claire smiled at her.
“But why do you feel that way?” Mary asked softly. Claire lifted her head up a little higher and shrugged.
“It's complicated. Now let's leave it at that.” She said in a `let's get off the subject' tone.
“Well what type of guy is he?” Elli asked, trying to get the conversation back on track.
“Guys like Gray are complicated as anything. So darn contrary,” she growled. “One minute they're insulting you, the next minute they feel bad about it…freaking apologize to you, then take back their apology.” She clenched her fist angrily, and then began to shake it at some unseen person. I had never done such a thing. Guys like me…perhaps she wasn't referring to me.
“They're stubborn, selfish, impatient, and egotistical. As far as they're concerned the world revolves around them. They tend to put their own needs above anyone else's.” Claire looked down at her glass, her hair covering her face as she continued with a calmer tone. “At the same time they can show a streak of chivalry, put someone they care about above them, and show a tremendous amount of self discipline. It's like everything this type of guy does contradicts their nature.” I was straining to hear as she was barley speaking above a whisper “But I'll give those types of guys this. They have great patience when it comes to someone they care about. When they love, they love hard. Damn the results of that on anyone else. Bullheaded, but in all actuality, the closest thing to a modern day prince charming you could ever want…if you're that type of fantasy girl.” She looked up at the group, a fake smile plastered on her face.
Her smile wasn't meant to show the bitterness and irony that she must feel. I could see the torrent of emotions clouding her eyes, and it seemed that she felt me staring at her and those darkening gray orbs met mine. I turned away quickly, embarrassed at being caught staring.
“That's a lovely analogy,” Mary stated with a smile.
“I hate guys like that the most,” Claire muttered as she put her head down on the table. “They make no damn sense…it's like they can't make up their own minds.”
 
“I know what kind of guy I like,” Popuri said softly. “A charming, sweet, caring man of the world. A man who travels the world,” she was slipping into her fantasy land as Ann interrupted her.
“We don't care about Kai, alright,” she growled and Popuri looked genuinely offended.
“Speak for yourself,” Karen chuckled and took another drink. “Kai is smoking hot.” There were no objections at the table of girls, but I could hear some labored breathing and what sounded like muttered counting coming from Rick's direction.
“Kai is charming,” Elli added softly, a light blush coming over her face.
“He's a genuine flirt, but Goddess can he make you believe him” Ann whispered, her expression half irritated half delighted.
“He's extremely handsome,” Mary added as she too began to blush furiously. I looked down to begin to scowl at my glass, but returned my gaze as Claire opened her mouth.
“There is no denying the obvious,” she stated with a shrug. So they all thought Kai was handsome, huh? I snorted angrily at the thought. I heard Rick humph and Cliff let out an agitated sigh.
“Hardly,” I heard muttered and looked towards the good doctor. Our eyes met and I nodded in agreement. At least there was one thing we had in common. A dislike for this unrealistic Kai they were all talking about. Kai wasn't like that. Kai was…well, Kai was Kai damn it!
“Men like Kai are ridiculously easy to fall in love with, and extremely difficult to get to return that love. They're the type of guy who wants to love everyone the same.” Claire leaned back in her chair, a thoughtful smile playing on her lips. “He is a charmer. A handsome, suave, charismatic man if I've ever seen one.” She took another gulp from her cup of wine. “But that type of guy is nothing but trouble in the end.” This statement wasn't said bitterly, but simply as a truth. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as her eyes became glossy.
“Sounds like you know from experience,” Elli stated softly, her hand grabbing Claire's in a gesture of support. Claire gave a small nod of admittance. “Who was your Kai?” Elli asked with a concerned frown.
“Mine? Mine…was,” she tilted her head back and a large genuine wishful grin came across her face. “Tamaki.”
“Tamaki?” Mary whispered and I thought back. Wasn't that one of her brothers?
“Tamaki was…special to me. I had always thought…that I was special to him,” Her smile was faltering, already crossing the line between real and fake.
“I'm sure you were,” Mary said quietly and Claire chuckled.
“I wasn't special to him…the way he was special to me.” She said and gave a warm smile to Mary, who looked like she would burst into tears in any moment. “Don't look at me like that now. It was a long time ago. There is no need to be in here getting upset about old high school sweet hearts and crushes.”
“What happened to you two?” Popuri asked, unable to restrain her curiosity. The pink haired girl cringed at the glares she got from the rest of the group, minus Claire. Claire simply took another drink from her glass.
“He couldn't love me the way I wanted him too…and we went our separate ways.” She said quietly.
“Did you two ever try to make up?” Popuri asked, this time ignoring the angry glares.
“No,” Claire stated sadly as she bit her bottom lip.
“Did you want too?”
“Of course…but we couldn't.” she whispered as her expression took on one of regret. She wasn't looking at anyone in particular as she stared at nothing.
“Why not?”
“Well, there was a debt to be paid…and it came to quickly,” Claire murmured as she clutched the pendent that lay under her shirt. I knew that's what she was doing, because every time I had seen Mary try to talk to Claire about the past, she unconsciously grabbed at her necklace.
“What kind of debt,” Elli asked quietly. Claire stood suddenly, and looked a little scared.
“The debt that all men pay,” she answered solemnly. I noticed Mary paled at this statement and wondered why. She giggled suddenly and looked up. “Well girls. It's getting late and I have to get up early tomorrow and get ready for summer.” Claire placed some money on the table.
“Claire, can you make it on your own?” Karen asked and Claire nodded and then took long strides to the door, waving goodbye and quickly taking her leave.
“What is the debt that all men pay?” Popuri asked curiously as she looked at Mary expectantly.
“The debt that all men pay…is death. Tamaki must have died before they could make amends.” Mary whispered sympathetically as she stood, ready to go after the blonde. I stood as well and opened the door for her, determined to help her find Claire. We didn't have to look very far. The blonde was leaning over the fence a little ways down the path.
“Claire,” Mary called out, concern etching over her face. I saw the woman's head snap up and she looked towards us. She pushed back from the fence and staggered slightly.
“Hey…I'm alright. Don't worry Mary.” She said brightly. Mary wasn't convinced, and neither was I. Mary frowned at Claire. “Goddess, the last thing I wanted to do was to depress you guys and make you worry,” Claire muttered to herself as she scratched her head. “This is why I tell you no good comes from learning about the past,” she scolded playfully and pated Mary on the head.
“Stop trying to make jokes, Claire. It's not making me feel any better,” Mary muttered crossing her arms. Claire leaned against the fence again, head drooping.
“Gray…take her home, huh? Make sure she gets there safe,” Claire whispered to me with a pleading glance. She just didn't want Mary to see her like this, I guess.
“If I have to take any one home to make sure they get there safely, it's going to be you,” I grunted. Her eyes widened and I felt my expression soften. “You drank a little too much.”
“No I didn't,” She countered and stood away from the fence, staggering back. I reached out and steadied her by grabbing her shoulders.
“I think you did. You can't even walk straight,” I pointed out and for once the blonde didn't deny or try to argue back with me.
“Can you help her walk?” I turned my head towards Mary and smiled down at her.
“It would probably be quicker and safer for me to carry her,” I whispered as I leaned into Mary, trying to keep the intoxicated woman from hearing me.
“I'll get her to agree to it,” Mary whispered and gained a thoughtful expression. “Squat down,” she ordered and I complied without any questions.
“What's Gray on the ground for?” Claire said as she laughed, looking down at me playfully.
“He's going to give you a piggyback ride,” Mary said with a giggle. Claire's face contorted to annoyance.
“The hell he is,” she muttered.
“Claire.”
“I don't want one,” Claire snickered, folding her arms.
“Claire.”
“I said no.”
“Claire.”
“No,” she said louder, stomping her foot in a childlike manner.
“Please, Claire.”
“Grr….Fine! I'll take the stupid piggy back ride,” Claire screamed out as she tossed her hands up in defeat and stumbled towards me. “But I won't like it!”
Mary guided her behind me and as soon as I felt her pressing against me I linked my arms under her knees, standing quickly.
“Weeee,” Claire giggled and locked her arms around my neck. “Hey, Gray, I never realized you were so tall! Mary you should see what things look like from up here,” She said, leaning over towards Mary.
“Claire, don't do that or we're both going to fall,” I grumbled and she leaned back towards me. I felt her breath on my ear.
“Sorry,” she murmured and I simply nodded. “I like your hat,” she said suddenly, causing Mary to look up at her and then burst into laughter as the blonde snatched my beloved hat of my head and placed it on her own. I felt her cross her arms over her chest and rest them on my head. “Look Mary, I'm Gray. I'm all…mister serious with a hat.” She giggled after she finished speaking in what I suppose was her impression of a man's voice.
Goddess, grant me the patience to keep from hurling the drunk blonde of my back. I felt my hat placed back on my head, and remained silent despite the fact that she had put it back crooked. I let out an agitated groan as she picked it up again and put it on my head backwards.
“Will you please knock it off with my hat,” I growled suddenly.
“You shouldn't wear it all the time. You're going to end up bald like your grandpa,” she replied and rested her head on top of mine.
“Hey, Claire,” Mary said loudly to distract the blonde from what other creative ways she could move my hat.
“Hay! Hay is for horses, it's better for cows,” she said in a sing song voice. “You guys know what else?”
“What?” I muttered, trying not to laugh at her in her present state of mind.
“Chickens would eat it but they don't know how,” she sang and began giggling, her face buried in my shoulder muffling the sound slightly.
“Claire,” Mary said again as she held her hand over her mouth to cover up her amused grin.
“Huh? That's my name, don't wear it out!” Claire said cheerfully. Mary's expression suddenly went from amused to serious.
“What happened to Tamaki?” Mary whispered and Claire once again became interested in my hat. She took it off and I assumed placed it back on her own head. I felt her fingers running slowly through my hair, but remained silent. I wasn't sure if she was too drunk to answer or trying to ignore the question.
“You remember that car accident I told you I injured my back in?” Claire said softly. Mary nodded and Claire sighed. “That's what happened.” I never knew she's been in a car accident. I felt her breath on the back of my head. “Gray,” she whispered and I let out a surprised jolt.
“Yeah?” I asked, wondering what she wanted.
“You smell nice,” she whispered. That was totally unexpected.
“Uh…thanks,” I replied, unsure of what else to say.
“Gray?” she whispered again.
“What?” She couldn't possibly say anything else more random.
“Can I keep your hat?” What? Hell no! My hat!
“No!” I muttered irritably.
“Gray?” I hated the way she said my name.
“What?!” I growled out, barley keeping a hold of my temper
“Thanks for helping me home. You're not such jerk after all.” She shifted her head to the other side of mine, away from Mary. I ignored how her lips brushed against my ear as she spoke. “I think that you might deserve my little Mary after all. She needs a good guy to take care of her,” she murmured softly. I couldn't help but smile. I had best friend approval. I was officially BFA certified.
“Hmm,” I said, all my anger from a moment ago forgotten. If Claire was to ask for my hat again, I'd probably gift wrap it for her.
“Of course…that might be the wine talking…I might not feel the same tomorrow. But right now you're okay by me,” she giggled and then her head rested on my shoulder. I could hear her breathing soften and chuckled slightly.
“Claire isn't such a bad drunk,” I stated quietly, earning a giggle from Mary.
“I'm not drunk…” her sleepy voice came from my shoulder.
“I think you are,” I said with a chuckle.
“You think wrong, miner boy,” she murmured softer than before.
“I'm positive I'm right,” I said as I jumped a little bit, causing her to bounce on my back and wake her up a little. If I was going to carry her home then I should at least get a few laughs out of it, right?
“Only... fools are… positive,” she yawned out the last word and I decided to let it be at that. She was already tired before she drank, and that was probably making her sleepier.
“Hey Mary,” I said quietly when Claire's steady breathing continued for a few minutes.
“Hay is for horses Gray,” she said with a grin. I rolled my eyes at her reference to Claire's song. “Yes, Gray,” she answered as we came in view of Claire's farm.
“Claire was in a car accident?” I asked her, my gaze on our destination.
“That's what I understand.” She said with a nod.
“How did you get that out of her?”
“Accidently. She bent down to get something, and I heard this loud pop…and then she fell to the ground, cursing something terrible,” she said quietly. “She was in a lot of pain, you know. She told me to stand on her back and walk up and down it. Evidently, though the occasion is rare, her back will pop a certain way and pinch a nerve. She said that it started happening after her accident, so she assumes that is what hurt her back.”
“I see.” I'd pulled a muscle in my back about a year ago. Extremely painful experience I would say. I'm not sure what a pinched nerve feels like, but it didn't sound pleasant.
Mary and I entered Claire's house and placed her on her bed. We then left and I escorted Mary home, then returned to the inn to sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a long day, having to help at the library after work. But it was the last day of spring. Kai would be coming in tomorrow and then the next day would be the beach festival. Summer really was one of the best times of the year.