Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ One Day Together ❯ Shindou vs. Touya ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The match between Touya Akira and Shindou Hikaru had begun. Sai took his place, seated next to his pupil. Shindou's confidence level was soaring, as he knew in this battle he would have his mentor right beside him watching everything.
 
“I'll play the upper right komoku!” thought Shindou, clinking his first stone down on the board. Sai smiled to himself, the komoku being the opening of choice during Sai's days as Honinbou Shuusaku. Touya immediately lifted his stone from his bowl, and the duel had begun.
 
The battle was furious between the two young titans. The crowd watched in awe as the conflict unfolded before their very eyes on the gigantic monitor behind them. Touya played a keima approach to Shindou's komoku stone. Grinning, Shindou decided to pull a whammy on everyone, and looked at Sai out of the corner of his eye.
 
“Sai should appreciate this,” thought Shindou, as he answered Touya's play with kosumi. Sai opened his fan, to hide the wry smile forming on his face.
 
Kurata let out a sound of surprise, as he lifted his microphone to his mouth.
 
“Wow you don't see this type of play much nowadays. Shindou used Shuusaku's kosumi. While this is considered a slow move, it is still a rather good play,” remarked Kurata.
 
“I still cannot understand Shindou's connection to Shuusaku, nor Sai. This kosumi, with the moves following thereafter, are all classic Shuusaku maneuvers. And then, his other moves,” thought Touya as Shindou played a stone. The pace of the game was harsh and Touya could feel each and every one of the moves attacking full force. His breath quickened and a bead of sweat dripped from his brow down the side of his face.
 
“His other moves are plays that Sai would make. Playing him is like playing both Shuusaku and Sai. I must use all my strength to win,” said Touya, a single sweat drop forming on his brow.
 
Shindou examined the board, his mind racing through thousands of scenarios, contingencies, and plans for his next move. Shindou was doing extremely well at the bottom of the board, where he had partitioned off a good section of side territory and threatened white's group in the lower right corner. However, to win, he would have to somehow combat Touya's equally advantageous position at the top of the board.
 
“Oh this looks like a tough one for Shindou folks. While he's done well taking sente in the lower left corner he has to make up for Touya's position at the top if he wants to get more territory,” said Kurata. The next few minutes seemed like an eternity to Shindou, who was so intently focused on his game that he drowned out the world around him. Sitting with the rest of the audience, Isumi and Waya watched with baited breath.
 
“Don't back down Shindou, give Touya everything you've got,” said Waya, balling his fist.
 
Shindou's expression turned from pure concentration to a moment of sudden realization. His hand darting towards his Go stone bowl, he immediately played a stone right in the center of Touya's base at the top of the board, extending from one of his own stones. Kurata let out a sound of amazement. Touya, taken aback by the move, let out a sound of surprise. Covering his mouth with his hand, Touya's mind raced at how to deal with this unforeseen attack.
 
“He…he's effectively cut my two groups apart. I can't take this stone. If I don't connect here he could threaten my eye space. When I do that Shindou will expand, creating a base and attack my position from wherever he pleases. I have to find a way to counter this…” said Touya, gritting his teeth.
 
Shindou was quite pleased with himself and with the way the game was turning out. Sai, too, was relishing this experience. The boy felt as if Sai's presence was strengthening him, providing him energy and insight. After several minutes Touya picked up a stone and played it atop the board.
 
“So, you're going to fight back Touya? But with a hand like that, you won't be able to beat me,” said Shindou, playing a stone.
 
After ten more minutes of furious play, Touya hung his head low, his body trembling.
 
“Arimasen.”
 
“Arigatoo Gozaimashita,” said Shindou as he bowed.
 
“I…couldn't find a way to fight back. He used his power to drive deep into my territory, scattering my forces to the winds. Where did a move like that come from?” thought Touya, his head still hung low.
 
“That was a great game you two! Did everyone catch black's amazing offensive during the mid game? Let's start over from move one and explain…” said Kurata reaching for the laptop computer situated near the podium.
 
“Shindou…did it Isumi! He beat Touya Akira!” said Waya excitedly, shaking Isumi's shoulder.
 
“I know. I've never seen Shindou play like that before, though. He couldn't have gained that much strength since the North Star Cup”, said Isumi, scratching his chin.
 
Shindou let out a sigh of relief, as he took his focus off the brilliant game he and Touya played.
 
“You are just as strong as ever Touya,” thought Shindou to himself, clearly impressed by his rival.
 
“It was a beautiful match Hikaru,” said Sai.
 
Shindou beamed, knowing that Sai was there to see him triumph over his long standing rival. Touya, who had been too overcome with emotion to raise his head, finally sat up and looked at his rival.
 
“It was a wonderful match Shindou, a match worthy of you,” said Touya, smiling slightly.
 
“Don't downplay yourself Touya, you answered all of my moves with equally brilliant ones,” said the bleach blonde lad, rubbing the back of his head and laughing, trying to lighten the mood.
 
After Kurata's explanation of the match, both of them left the stage. Shindou walked over to Isumi and Waya, his head raised high into the air.
 
“Great job Shindou! Isumi and I didn't take our eyes off your match for one second!” said Waya, patting Shindou on the back.
 
“Shindou, since when did you become so strong?” said Isumi chuckling.
 
“My my, you always seem to exceed my expectations,” said a smooth voice coming from behind the boys.
 
Surprised and slightly jarred, Shindou immediately turned around and saw Ogata, standing behind them with an incredulous smile on his face.
 
“Oh, Ogata-sensei!” said Waya, Hikaru, and Isumi in unison as they bowed.
 
“Today you've even exceeded Touya Akira. I watched the game from the crowd. This time Shindou, it was a pure difference in skill,” said Ogata, adjusting his glasses and smiling devilishly.
 
“Thank you Ogata-sensei,” said Hikaru, bowing once more.
 
Ogata simply smiled and left for the center stage. He was having his own exhibition match with a 9 dan soon.
 
“Hikaru, he doesn't seem to be upset with you anymore,” remarked Sai, looking off at Ogata.
 
“What do you mean Sai?”
 
“You don't remember Hikaru?” asked Sai.
 
Hikaru thought long and hard about what Sai was trying to say. Hikaru remembered being in Touya-sensei's hospital room, when Ogata came in and heard the two of them discussing Sai.
 
(“So you do know who Sai is!” exclaimed Ogata.
 
“No! No! No! I don't know him, I have no idea!” protested Shindou, backing away from the advancing Ogata.
 
“Liar! You just said…” said Ogata.
 
Hikaru bolted from the hospital room trying to escape Ogata. He ran after Shindou from the hospital room, cornering they young boy and lifting him by the scruff of his neck.
 
“If you know who Sai is, let me play him too!” said Ogata, his face full of desperation and emotion.)
 
“I remember Sai. Well you did get to play Ogata but he was drunk at the time,”
 
“Yo Shindou, why are you acting so spaced out? Why don't we play a quick game before they start Ogata sensei's exhibition match,” said Waya, tugging on his friend's arm.
 
“Oh, yeah, sure Waya!” responded Shindou, running off with Isumi and Waya.
 
Sai stood for a moment, watching Ogata walk towards the stage and talk to Kurata and a tall brown haired 9 dan pro. Sai felt a deep seated dissatisfaction within the pit of his stomach.
 
“How I wanted to play you…” thought Sai, holding his fan to his lips.
 
Shindou noticed Sai wasn't walking alongside him, and looked backwards. He saw how his mentor stared forward, a look of longing on his face. It was clear, at least to him, what had to be done.
 
“I guess that match wasn't satisfying at all, Sai. I don't blame you. But you disappeared before we could setup a match…Wait, maybe we can!” thought Shindou clasping his hands together. Sai soon joined his pupil as he walked over to an empty table with Waya and Isumi to play a game. Shindou decided to simply watch as Isumi and Waya played.
 
“Sai, what if I said you could play Ogata sensei? Would you be interested?” said Shindou.
 
“Play with Ogata sensei? But Hikaru it would have to be on the net, and we don't know if he will have time to play before my time is up,” said Sai.
 
“Don't worry about that Sai, he'll make time,” said Shindou, smiling to himself.
 
“I'll be right back guys,” said Shindou to Waya and Isumi, taking his leave.
 
He had procured a paper and pen from one of the booths along the side of the room. Shindou quickly scribbled something onto the paper, and walked up to one of the attendants of the Go Festival.
 
“Could you please give this to Ogata sensei before his match begins?” asked Shindou.
 
“Certainly”, said the attendant.
 
The young lad ran back to Isumi and Waya who were well into their game.
 
“Sorry guys, I've got to run,” said Shindou
 
“Wait, Shindou, aren't you going to wait to see Ogata-sensei's exhibition match?” asked Waya.
 
“You can tell me all about it when we all meet at your place later today Waya. See ya!” said Shindou, waving back at his two friends.
 
Sai tapped the young boy on the shoulder with his fan.
 
“What did you mean by saying I could play Ogata?” asked Sai in a very childlike tone of voice.
 
“You'll just have to wait and see Sai,” thought Shindou, smiling to himself.
 
The attendant walked up to Ogata just as he was making his way onto the stage with his exhibition match opponent.
 
“A note for you Ogata sensei,” said the attendant, bowing.
 
“Thank you.”
 
Ogata opened the note and read it to himself.
 
“If you would like to play Sai, please log onto World Igo Net tonight at 6 p.m. It will be an even game with three hours time.”
 
Ogata was thoroughly surprised, his eyes growing wider and wider. Crumpling the paper in his fist, he surveyed the festival crowd.
 
“Is Sai here? Or maybe just a messenger? Sai…the phantom player from the net who beat Touya Kouyo…he wants to have a match with me tonight? This is my chance to test my skills against the fiercest opponent any Go player could face.”
 
“Ogata sensei the exhibition match is starting,” said an attendant.
 
“Oh, yes, coming,” said Ogata, walking up the steps in front of the gigantic monitor.
 
“If Sai wants to play, then we'll play. My wish has finally been granted,” thought Ogata as he seated himself.
 
Sai looked back at the recreation center, his expression stern. Was this why he had come back this day? Were his wishes truly going to be fulfilled.
 
“I can feel it, I can feel Ogata's aura in this ghostly state. We shall meet on the battlefield tonight,” thought Sai.