Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ One Day Together ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Shindou strutted down the street, quietly humming to himself with Sai walking behind they cheerful young lad, his face showing clear determination. It was obvious Sai was mentally preparing for his match versus the Jyudan, a match that would call on him to bear forth all of his go prowess. Shindou felt a deep seated satisfaction at being able to do things the right way. He too was not satisfied at not letting Sai play a true match.
 
“Sai is the strongest and fiercest opponent any Go player could dream of. I bet Ogata sensei can hardly contain himself,” thought Shindou.
 
Sai was indeed pleased by the turn of events. His thoughts took him back to the night before he disappeared. Ogata had recently won the Jyudan title and had gone out drinking with a few buddies. Sai decided that playing a game with Ogata was better than never having played at all, sensing that his time in the mortal world was soon coming to a close. Sai found it fairly easy to win due to Ogata's inebriation, and felt a deep seated sadness at not being able to play a Go player of his caliber evenly.
 
“Such solid play…yes…It was as if I were playing Sai…” mumbled the drunken Ogata, drifting off into sleep.
 
Sai had remembered those words, even during the sleep of death. “Now,” thought Sai, “I can use this one last day I have here, and leave with no regrets.”
 
As Shindou was turning the corner, he bumped into Akari. They both stumbled backwards, rubbing their heads and standing up.
 
“Watch where you're going next time…Akari? Akari, what are you doing here?” asked Shindou.
 
“Oh I'm sorry Hikaru. All the members of the Haze middle school go club are getting together at the Sazara Go Salon and I'm running a little late,” said Akari, dusting herself off. She was the same age as Shindou, her hair dyed maroon. She was wearing a bright blue shirt with a picture of a white daisy in the center, and jean shorts.
 
“The Haze middle school Go club? Why are you guys meeting up? You've already played at the middle school go tournament.”
 
“I wanted to see everyone before we all go off to different high schools. And besides, everyone is going to join the Go club when they enter high school, so we thought by practicing we could get better. Even Tsutsui-san will be there.”
 
Talking to Akari, Shindou's mind dug up the fond memories of sitting in the chemistry room after school and playing with Tsutsui and Mitani. He could remember the rustling of the sakura trees in the wind, and the sounds of the stones clinking against the wooden surface of the Go boards. Those were the kind of memories one would carry into old age.
 
“Hikaru, would you like to come with me?” asked Akari in a meek and soft tone of voice.
 
Shindou checked his watch. It was only about two fifteen and Sai's match with Ogata wasn't until six. “Hmm, sure actually, I'd like to see everyone again. I want to see how far you all have come,” said Shindou grinning.
 
Akari's expression showed her earnest gratitude at having Shindou accept her invitation. Blushing, she grabbed the boy's sleeve and pointed towards the direction of the Go salon. The pair walked together, chatting about various topics and reminiscing about old times. Sai couldn't help but grin to himself as he watched Shindou and Akari walk side by side down the sidewalk.
 
Opening the door of the Sazara Go salon, the two children surveyed their surroundings. Shindou was thoroughly surprised. He remembered the first Go salon he had ever been to, back when he and Sai first met. That Go salon was a fairly somber place, filled with aging men of a bygone generation. Instead, this Go salon was filled with kids of Shindou's age. Instead of cardigan sweaters and cigarette smoke, Shindou was greeted with the sight of school age kids with dyed hair and trendy clothes. Akari looked around, catching sight of Kaneko and the others.
 
“This way Shindou, I see Kaneko,” said Akari, grabbing him by the sleeve.
 
Shindou nodded and went with her to meet up with everyone. Sai stayed behind a moment, to drink in the scene with pure delight.
 
“How the face of Japanese Go is changing. The Go world will no longer be filled with the older generation, with people such as Kuwabara. No, the new Go world will be filled with fresh faces and new ideas. Never, in my time spent in the world of the living, have I seen such an enthusiasm for the game. How this place touches me to my very soul,” thought Sai, holding his fan to the tip of his lips.
 
“Shindou?” exclaimed Kaneko, clearly surprised at seeing him walking beside Akari.
 
“I bumped into him on the way over everyone. He said he wanted to come to our little reunion. I'm glad everyone could make it,” said Akari, smiling happily.
 
Sitting at the tables were none other than the members of the Haze middle school Go club. There was Kaneko wearing a white tank top and shorts, Tsutsui wearing his trademark black rimmed glasses and a stylish purple dress shirt, the mild and gentle Kumiko wearing a red T-shirt and black shorts, Natsume, Koike, and none other than the red haired Mitani.
 
“Mitani, you really came!” exclaimed Akari, overjoyed.
 
“I was just passing by is all. I wanted to see if I could grab a few extra yen at this salon, but I suppose not,” said Mitani in his usual emotionless voice.
 
Shindou sat down in a chair opposite of Tsutsui who looked far more mature and refined than his middle school days. However he still exuded the same understated and quiet personality he always did.
 
“I was so excited when Akari told me about everyone meeting like this. I'm glad you all were able to do so well in the tournament last year,” said Tsutsui beaming.
 
“But we still lost to Kaiou in the final round…” said Mitani.
 
“I've said it before and I'll say it again, Kaiou middle school is totally unbeatable,” said Kaneko, crossing her arms.
 
“Well that's why we're all here, maybe by playing each other we'll all gain some more strength. That way we'll all do well in each of our high school clubs,” said Kumiko.
 
“And plus you can realize our dream of beating Kaiou when you take control of the club Koike”, said Mitani.
 
The small and shy Koike nodded with a broad smile across his face, scratching the back of his head in an embarrassed manner. Shindou looked into the faces of each of the members of the Go club, his heart warming.
 
“Well I think we should get to playing everyone, I want to play Shindou-kun first. I'm sure I'm not a match, with you being a pro now and all,” said Tsutsui laughing. Shindou gave a him a warm smile and seated himself.
 
All the members sat before the Go boards, and simultaneously bowed.
 
“Onegaishimasu.”
 
Shindou played Tsutsui, Mitani played Kaneko, Kumiko played Akari, and Koike played Natsume. Tsuitsui had a handicap of nine stones against Shindou. The difference between the two of them was higher than that, but the young pro was only going to play a friendly game with his best friend.
 
“I really can't believe that two years ago you had trouble beating me. Now you're a shodan pro, and I even saw your picture in Weekly Go after the North Star Cup,” said Tsutsui.
 
“You lost to that Korean Go superstar, Ko Yong-ha. But it was only a half a moku different between you and he,” said Mitani, his head resting on his shoulder. If Shindou didn't know any better it was a veiled compliment, the only type Mitani gives.
 
“Oi, Mitani, you had better pay attention to our game. I only have to take a two stone handicap against you now. I would hate to see you reduce my handicap to just one stone,” replied Kaneko.
 
“Don't worry, two stones is not enough anyways,” said Mitani, a little annoyed with Kaneko.
 
“We'll see how confident you are after I've won this game,” she replied in turn.
 
“Shindou-senpai, I read in Weekly Go you will soon have enough wins for a 2-dan promotion. Congratulations,” said Koike.
 
“We were all worried when you were depressed, but I'm glad you're back on track now Shindou-senpai,” said Kumiko.
 
“I feel like I've found my way again. I won't ever leave the world of the pros, as long as I can keep my dream of climbing to the top,” said Shindou, playing a stone on the Go board. Tsutsui adjusted his glasses, and bowed.
 
“Makemashita.”
 
“Arigatoo Gozaimashita. Tsutsui you're really good at Yose and mokusan, I'm very impressed. But this part is where you lost pace. If you had played here, you could have stayed connected and halted my push into your side territory,” said Shindou, waving a finger over a section of the Go board.
 
Tsutsui listened intently to Shindou's explanation, allowing every word to sink into his heart. After the first round of games had finished, everyone had switched partners.
 
“I think I'd like to see how far Shindou has come. We haven't played a game in such a long time after all,” said Mitani, switching seats with Tsutsui.
 
You could never read what Mitani felt from his facial expressions, but Shindou felt that deep down the boy no longer begrudged him for leaving the club and becoming an Insei.
 
“Will an even game do?” asked Mitani.
 
“Sure, just like old times,” said Shindou smiling.
 
“Onegaishimasu.”
 
They both began to play. Mitani had become a lot stronger since he and Shindou last played, it was clearly noticeable. Shindou smiled as his friend made the correct responses to a lot of his moves. Sai watched the children happily play go, warm smiles spreading across their faces.
 
“Each of them has found happiness in Go. The game has made each and every one of them grow in ways they may not even be aware of,” thought Sai, happily watching on like a father.
 
Shindou and Mitani's game had ended, with Shindou winning by 2.5 moku. Mitani looked down at the game for a few minutes, and then looked up with a slight smirk on his face.
 
“This was a teaching game wasn't it, Shindou?”
 
“Well, yeah, Mitani it was. But you did wonderfully well,” said Shindou, scratching the back of his head and chuckling.
 
“Hmmm, so you've gotten that strong huh? I guess it was a good move to become a pro, after all Shindou,” said Mitani, reclining backwards. In his own roundabout way, he had congratulated Shindou. Blushing slightly, the blond go genius happily cleaned up the Go stones, and stood up.
 
“Thanks everyone, I'm really glad I came by. I've got to head out though,” said Shindou
 
“Really? Well it was wonderful seeing you again Shindou,” said Akari.
 
“Good luck with your matches this year, Shindou-senpai,” said Koike.
 
Shindou waved at all of his Go club friends as he stepped outside. Looking at his watch, he noted that it was now four fifteen. The hustle and bustle of Tokyo seemed distant to Shindou, who was only looking forward to the colossal clash between Sai and Ogata.
 
“I really do want to go to Waya's study session, but I think I should allow Sai to concentrate. After all Ogata is no mere Go player, and I want Sai to be in his best condition,” thought Shindou.
 
“Let's go Sai!” exclaimed Shindou.
 
“Hai,” said Sai smiling in his usual childlike fashion.