Hikaru No Go Fan Fiction ❯ One Day Together ❯ Calm Before the Storm ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Exasperated, Waya looked impatiently at his wristwatch, tapping his finger against the table of his living room.
 
“Shindou is really late. He said he was going to come to today's study session,” said Waya, frowning. Get-togethers like this were few and far between, with everyone's busy schedules. Days where everyone could sit down, relax, and play their favorite game were precious commodities, and as far as Waya was concerned they should never be wasted.
 
“Don't worry, Shindou might be along later, he'll have a good reason,” said Isumi who was watching Nase and Honda play a friendly game.
 
“Shindou never really is on time for most things anyways, I don't see why you're so surprised Waya,” retorted Nase taking a much needed swig of juice.
 
“I wanted to show Shindou my recent game with Tsujioka-san. I only lost by 1.5 moku, but I wanted to see if he could have come up with different moves,” said Waya, pouring some juice for himself.
 
“Maybe Shindou could look at some of my games as well, see what he thinks,” chimed in Honda as he played a move on the board. Honda always had a knack for only showing real interest when the conversation turned into a way he could improve his own go.
 
“Did you guys have fun at the Go festival today?” asked Fukui, his face bursting with joy.
 
“Yeah it was an absolute blast. We got to play teaching games with Insei, watched Shindou play Touya, and Ogata sensei play Takao 9-dan. There was so much going on, it was really exciting,” said Waya.
 
“By the way Waya, wasn't Ogata-sensei's exhibition game a little strange to you?” asked Isumi, putting down his glass.
 
“You said it Isumi-san. It didn't seem like Ogata-sensei was concentrating on the game at all. I wonder where his mind was. There weren't any distractions,” said Waya sipping from his glass.
 
“Especially that strange mistake he made in the middle of the game,” said Isumi, thinking back to the exhibition match.
 
(Ogata and Takao 9-dan were entering the mid-game. Ogata's white stones and Takao's black stones were laid elegantly across the simple landscape of the Go board. Takao placed a stone on the board near a group of white stones. Ogata played immediately setting his stone at another spot on the board, seemingly unfazed by Takao's advance. Takao, raising an eye brow, immediately played another stone in the immediate area of his first play. The crowd was stunned as Ogata had apparently missed Takao's advance, allowing him to threaten a large cluster of white stones. Ogata's left eyebrow was quivering and his breath becoming rapid.)
 
“That mistake cost him the game, Isumi-san. It isn't like Ogata-sensei to miss something so simple. Well at least the rest of the festival turned out to be fun,” said Waya excitedly.
 
“Didn't you say Shindou actually beat Touya in his exhibition match?” asked Nase.
 
“Oh yeah, Shindou totally crushed Touya. I've never seen him command such strength during a match. I'll show you the game once you and Nase are finished,” said Waya, gulping down the last of his drink. Fukui pointed to the corner of the room excitedly towards a computer.
 
“Waya, is that a personal computer?” asked the little boy, bursting with joy and excitement.
 
“Oh yeah, it is. I brought it from home. My mom said I could have it because she wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. I can store all of my games in here and play on the net when I'm feeling bored,” said Waya.
 
“Can I try it out?” asked Fukui excitedly.
 
“Sure thing Fuku, go ahead.”
 
Fukui stood up and walked over to Waya's computer, turning it on and happily typing away at the keys.
 
“Maybe I should get one of those too. Being able to organize records of games could come in handy,” said Honda scratching his chin.
 
Nase reached into her Go ke and placed a stone on the board. Her face showed a quiet determination to win and improve her Go. Contemplating the board for a few moments, Honda bowed low to Nase.
 
“Makemashita.”
 
“Arigatoo Gozaimashita.”
 
“Wow, Nase you actually won against Honda? Your Go has markedly improved from the last few months. You are still going to keep taking the pro exam, right?” asked Isumi.
 
“I could never give up Go, Isumi-kun. I'll improve myself, and take the pro exam as many times as it takes. When I can play games like this I truly believe I can become a pro,” said Nase, smiling. She had come a long way, her Go play becoming more solid with every game she played.
 
Waya looked out the window at the sky that was slowly turning from day to dusk. The streaks of purple and fiery red cascaded across the sky in a breath taking expanse of nature's glory. There were a few birds in flight above, dancing between the clouds. Slowly turning around, he looked at all of the friends he had made during his years as a Go player. Waya valued his friendship with each and every one of them. Isumi was his long time buddy, like a well mannered, good natured older brother. Nase was an inspiration, plain and simple. Her persistency in the pro exams, even when the odds seemed against her, inspired Waya to grow stronger with every game he played. Fukui was like a little brother, always energetic and full of life. Waya was truly proud of Honda who had passed the pro exam with Isumi and Kadowaki. Honda had made a large personal comeback since the pro exam from a year back where it seemed he would have collapsed. Smiling with a clear display of nostalgia in his gaze, Waya sipped juice from his cup.
 
“I would give everything to keep you all in my life,” thought Waya.
 
Checking his watch, he stared out of the window once more.
 
“Where is that Shindou? It's already 5:30.” Waya thought to himself.
 
-----------------------------
 
Getting out of his fiery red sports car, Seiji Ogata and searched his pockets for a lighter. While taking a long puff of his cigarette, he leaned against his car, staring up towards the sky. His face had the appearance of perfect tranquility, but a raging storm was occurring within this grizzled Go veteran.
 
“Sai…I finally get my wish. I already know that you are a worthy opponent capable of defeating Touya Kouya. I could not take my mind off of our match, not even to concentrate on my exhibition match today. I will need all my strength if we are to meet on the battlefield,” thought Ogata, letting out a long puff of smoke.
 
He put out his cigarette and entered his house, heading straight downstairs into the basement. Ogata's personal computer was situated on his desk next to his aquarium. The room had a soft green haze to it like the inside of a cave filled with lichen. Ogata enjoyed the allure of the darkness, it allowed him to focus better on the issues at hand. Seated at his computer, he reclined back in his chair and closed his eyes. The welcome screen of “World Igo Net” popped up on his computer monitor.
 
“What irks me is how close I was to seeing Sai in person. For all I know we could have passed each other by and I would not have known. Either that or he had someone give me the note…”
 
The thought of Shindou flashed across Ogata's memory.
 
“Well he was at the festival today, and I can't rule it out, but I have no clear evidence to back me up anyway. Besides, there is no doubt in my mind that there is a clear cut connection between them. My suspicions were confirmed at the hospital, and by Shindou's reaction I knew that he was in contact with Sai. To be honest I have to admit I was disappointed. Why would Shindou go through all the trouble of arranging a match with Touya sensei and never once approach me. I'm sure someone like Sai could understand every go players thirst to improve, to play a game that reaches new heights of complexity and ferocity. But after that day at the hospital I heard nothing. I didn't think Shindou would approach me about it after so adamantly refuting he knew Sai, but somewhere deep down inside I hoped he would understand. I have no idea why there is such urgency to keep a player of Sai's caliber enshrouded within mystery, but I am more interested in playing Sai than to know exactly who he is. And tonight, my wish will come true.”
------------------
Touya and his father were seated before a Go board within their home, the windows open to let the refreshing breeze in the room. Touya's home was very traditional Japanese, with very little in the way of furnishing and only the simplest of decoration. Touya had replayed his game with Shindou from the exhibition match to show his father. The titanic battle between the two up and coming stars of the Go world was a sight to behold. As Touya sensei watched his son place each stone on the board, he wrapped his arms into the folds of his kimono.
 
“Such elegant play, Akira. I must say I am truly impressed with your progression lately.'
 
“Thank you father, I really did try my best. Shindou has also progressed since our first professional game, as you can see. Here is where I lost pace,” said Touya, placing a white stone on the board.
 
Touya sensei simply nodded in agreement, his expression like stone. Touya couldn't help feel something odd in the flow of the stones, he was sure his father realized it. In an even game of Go, the force of the moves of both sides are like the clashing of waves on an ocean during a horrific storm. Each meeting of the opposing waves would soon become calm and tranquil once the storm had abetted, leaving only pure tranquility. The pace of this game, however, seemed to be more on one side than the other. Touya felt at a nearly instinctual level he was being outplayed.
 
“He had been preparing for this incursion all along, Akira. He was simply waiting for the right chance to attack. Your placement here doesn't prevent it from happening.”
 
“Yes father, but then there was this move here…” said Touya, placing a black stone on the board.
 
Touya-sensei let out a small sound of surprise, his eyes widening. Could it have been something even he had missed?
 
“This move…it looks like a move…a move…”
 
“Yes, a move Sai would have made,” said Akira.
 
They both sat before the Go board, motionless and silent for several minutes.
 
“I still clearly remember that battle Akira, the battle between myself and Sai,” said Touya-sensei, taking in a deep breath.
 
“I remember that game as well father.”
 
“It was because of Sai that I learned I could still change my Go, that I could still find new and exciting dimensions to this game than I previously thought impossible.”
 
Touya looked up at his father, pride exuding from his very being. He looked up to his father more than anyone else alive. One of the greatest and most ingenious Go players of all time was still able to find new and exciting ways to play the game he had been playing for so many years. Limits to strength and ingenuity were broken, as Touya's father showed that there is always room to improve.
 
“Still, it saddens me that we could never play a second time. It is quite a shame that someone of Sai's caliber doesn't get to play such satisfying games all the time.”
 
Touya couldn't disagree with his father on that point. At Sai's level of mastery there would only be a small circle of capable Go players to be able to challenge him. Touya sensei, a man who once held five titles at one time, was the only person that could even match the phantom player's mastery of their art. Such a presence would bolster and encourage others in the go world, strengthening the river everyone progressed in towards their one shining goal.
 
“Well I must be leaving son, my flight for Shangai will be leaving fairly soon. I will be gone for about a month, so please take care of your mother until then,” said Touya sensei, standing and slowly walking out of the room.
 
“Yes father.”
 
After his father had taken his leave, Touya decided it would be prudent of him to spend some much needed time replaying kifu. Day was turning into evening, and the coolness of the wind turned into night time chill. Finding his book of the ancient masters, Touya thought it might be a good time to look through some of the much older kifu. Ancient masters like Dosaku, Showa, and Shuusaku would be his teachers tonight, revealing their insight through the battles they fought so many years ago. Touya reflected on how eternal Go knowledge is. Games from over one hundred and forty years in the past, despite their arcane style, still had the grace and depth of modern games played by top professionals. Touya could feel the raging waves and surges of force hiding themselves within the complacent looking black and white stones. The young boy could see before his eyes the future he was striving towards, however his mind began to wander.
 
“Maybe today my worst fears have been realized. I could feel it coming towards me, and maybe turned a blind eye. Could today of all days be the culmination of our two year race? It never occurred to me that one day he would beat me.”
 
Placing his next move down, Touya flipped through the pages of his book. The boy preferred books without explanations or diagrams that explained the play. Besides, the masters fought in such a manner that the secrets of their play were plain to anyone that could plumb the mysteries. Touya came upon a game he knew well, and had committed to memory when he was a young boy.
 
“The famous ear reddening move of Shuusaku…” thought Touya as he decided to go over the game one more time, just for old time's sake.
 
“Strange, how one game can be the legacy you leave behind for the world. It is true Shuusaku's kifu is well known, but this one game is the most famous.”
 
While he replayed the game, Touya became ensconced within the folds of the meanings of the moves. The complexity unraveled like a bundle of twine, slowly unfurling and becoming clear to Touya as he played out the game.
 
“One game can make all the difference can't it? One game….”
 
“Akira-san!” exclaimed Touya's mother from the next room. Touya got up from the board and walked into the next room.
 
“Coming mother.”
 
Touya walked into the adjacent room where his mother was sitting at the computer. She had a very puzzled look on her face as she tried to type on the keyboard.
 
“My friend sent me an email and I can't figure out how to read it, can you please show me how to work this?” asked Touya's kind and gentle mother.
 
Touya smiled and put his hand on the mouse, showing his mother the email client he used.
 
“Thank you so much,” said Touya's mother.
 
“When you are done mom I'd like to use the computer for a little while,” said Touya walking out of the room.
 
Looking out of his window towards the darkening sky overhead, Touya closed his eyes and thought back to his exhibition match. Images of Shindou placing the finishing move on the board, his fingertips shining like gold, was fiercely etched into Touya's memory. That move, along with the ear reddening of Shuusaku, stood side by side in Touya's mind.
 
“Sai...” whispered Touya, allowing the breeze to lift his hair and refresh him.
 
----------------------------
The temperature of the air dropped a bit, the breeze causing Shindou's skin to goose bump. Seeing Tsutsui and the others was a pleasant surprise and brought back fond memories. Sai seemed to have enjoyed the chance encounter as well, even though Mitani and the others didn't realize the connection. But the mood soon had to change, as the time until the fated match would begin.
 
“In the sleep of death I have had much time to ponder things. But the main thing on my mind right now is why kami-sama has allowed me this day, of all days, to bring me back to Hikaru. I have learned to count my blessings, that is for sure, since the day I left this world. However I can't begin to fathom his motives, nor even begin to question them. I exist for Hikaru, and for that I should be grateful,” thought Sai, looking downward at his protégé.
 
“Kami-sama has provided me the opportunity to watch you grow Hikaru. Despite the fact I died so young, I feel as if I you are my legacy to leave in the world, some small proof that I once existed.”
 
The pair had finally come upon the internet café, the place where Touya Kouyou and Sai had once battled. Opening the door, Shindou steeled himself for the coming conflict.
 
“Are you ready Sai?”
 
“I am prepared Hikaru,” replied Sai, his convictions firmly set upon the task at hand.