Horror Fan Fiction ❯ Choices of Nature ❯ Wishes from afar ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Chapter 4: Wishes from Afar
 
 
 
 
I wondered why Lestat wanted to save me. After all I am just an animal. The vampire smiled without his teeth showing. He sat back, was it my imagination, or had his hair grown again? It now reached below his shoulders, thicker than ever.
 
“Because,” he said.
 
“Um, because what?”
 
“I was worried. You were panicking… even in the house. If I were you, I would feel the same too. I was glad that I saved you.” Lestat looked at the tissues he was clasping. In the light I saw red stains. I gasped. “I cry blood tears, cherie. Lucky you didn't look at me. It's horrible.”
 
I shook my head. “C'mon I'm not that timid. I just got a minor shock. Hmm… it is not something I see all the time, blood tears. Will you be tired if you cry too much?”
 
“Yes. It's because my fluid is blood only, I don't have water. Bianca, would you like to come to my house again? Then you can be more familiar with it,” he changed the subject and sounded happy once more.
 
“Thank you.”
 
“You're welcome, love.” I touched his arm and felt the chill of his skin, white. My own is brownish. I am part South American and the only difference between that race and me is, I have reddish hair. My mum is Caucasian, born in Canada. Dad's home was in South America. He lived there as a tiger for a while. I know tigers are Asian cats, he was learning to be a catshape but did not want the hot climate. So he moved there. But I'm not that dark. Dark would have a new definition with Lestat's skin.
 
The driver asked about us. Lestat told him we were on a date and chatted with him, got the driver to open up about his family. He managed to throw the man off being too nosy, in a tactful manner.
 
That is good. I cannot speak so fluently-------- I said.
 
Thanks. I seldom get compliments.
 
I think you're very smart, Monsieur Lioncourt.
 
Now I should say duh. Wanna go flying with me sometime? ------- he asked casually.
 
What?------ I sent an image of a man flying then, falling to his death----------not possible. The Wright bros had to invent a plane. We cannot fly.
 
I can. You saw me, Bianca. Remember? Ok we gotta alight now.
 
The cab stopped. Lestat gave the man a fifty-dollar bill and asked him to keep the change. My father was waiting, boiling like a foaming cauldron when we reached my house a few minutes past 12.20am.
 
“So Mr Lioncourt! It's about time you got your nerve to show up! How dare you……” my father went on and on, in his tiger rage, just barely kept from transforming on the spot. His veins all popped out, his neck was red. All his hair was bristling. Abruptly he shut up, Lestat speaking to him and bringing him to the couch. Dad was silent, his eyes open.
 
“Well, Bianca, it's time I made a move now. I have a train to catch. `Night.”
 
I was still reeling and sat beside my father. “What is wrong with him?”
 
“He's sleeping. Sleep my child. Love your children,” the vampire whispered, waving his fingers over the wide blank gaze. Dad's head lolled, he passed out. I took off the coat and handed it to Lestat. He smiled and bade me keep it.
 
 
“What is your phone number? Here write it down, your address. I will be gone to England for a while. I will post you something,” he added, producing a small notebook. I grabbed for a pen. My mum was goggling at my cute guyfriend from the side. He kissed our hands, then left the human way by the door. He actually walked into the darkness!
 
 
 
 
“Hey sis,” Marcus piped up when I came into our room. The lecture escaped you huh?”
 
“Yea. Busybody. Sleep!” I ordered.
 
“Is love technically gonna take you over?”
 
I felt very hot at the ears. Lestat had helped me and mom by making dad silent. He did not have to. He had to hurry but still, he sent me home. “Sis, are you so dumb you cannot speak?” Marc laughed. I socked him with my pillow.
 
“Vampires don't have happy endings. Just wanna remember that,” he said seriously. I nodded. Lestat had so many issues. He had felt hurt easily, when I didn't walk near him. They are a sensitive kind.
 
I undressed myself in the shower and let the cool water run off me. We're becoming friends. I want to learn to trust him. I do not know why I'm so mad over Lestat, but it's not what I would term as love. We Shapers don't feel romance so fast.
 
 
It's a form of longing, to find a common point. Unlike many people I know and have been friends with for years, the vampire listened. Without judgment. My Lit teacher told me to open my mind to new possibilities, that strangers are friends you have yet to meet.
 
In the morning:
 
DON'T FALL FOR LESTAT. ANYONE BUT HIM. HE'S DANGEROUS. ------- stuck to the PC.
 
I'M NOT IN LOVE. WE'RE JUST FRIENDS! ----- I wrote back annoyed.
 
His letter came in four days. I was so excited I dropped all my stuff and ran into my room, bolted the door. His handwriting was so lovely, cursive and yet legible.
Hi Miss Bianca,
 
You can call me at this number: 7258-3884-TALBOT. I will be putting up at David's house. He is a good friend of mine. Now I am visiting all my friends in Europe. Serious visiting, no parties and drugs.
 
 
Gosh! I'm so excited to be a mortal girl's friend! A penfriend. I always wanted one. You? It is possible to be friends isn't it? Let's prove to the world------- mortals +vampires in harmonious co- existence. My heart is aflame at this possibility! I know that it is not going to be overnight, but aren't you excited we are the first?
Won't it be wonderful, the Lion and the Lamb in a stable at peace.
 
 
Cannot wait to see you again, cherie. I think I will finish all the business here by the end of the month and come back to the Island. We shall have dinner again. What movies do you like? I love romance and comedy.
 
 
Call me if you need to chat. If I'm not here, David will take a message for me. I would like you to write me back if you're free.
 
Take care of yourself and regards to your family:
 
Lestat
 
I liked his signature. It was wavy, the L being the dominant letter. Some people scrawl, and you can't see the name. His signature was an art! It reflected Lestat's quiet thoughtfulness, a huge contrast from his hot temper. From this, you cannot tell he is the yelling sort. It was a felt pen. A quaint gentleman. He liked everything towards the oldies' fashion statement too, the long tailed riding coat, the soft dark jacket he had lent me.
 
I was really eager to hear his voice. What! I miss him already!
I guess I am touched by his concern. I dialed the number on the top with trembling fingers.
 
“Hello? David Talbot here,” a crisp British accent said.
 
“Hi, I'm Bianca. I… I um want to talk to Lestat. Is he there?”
 
“He is out. Ah, he mentioned you. He says he will call you when he returns tomorrow night. You have made such a difference, I can tell.”
I laughed. David added that Lestat had lost a few friends recently, but he told David how happy he was now having found a mutual friend in me.
 
“So I tell him to keep safe. That's all? All right. I promise you he will call back as soon as possible. Goodbye.”
 
“Thank you!”
 
 
The night after, Lestat returned the call. His French accent was immediately prevalent but when he heard my voice, he returned to the more fluent American speech. Your country flavour seldom leaves you.
 
“Hi, may I speak to Bianca? I am Lestat….. Oh it is you! I am at David's place now. Do not worry about me, I am fine,” he was breathless though, as if he had been running or dancing.
 
“Wow. You can read my mind so far off. I feel nervous. I got your letter. Thanks!”
 
“You're welcome, cherie.” He laughed with genuine happiness.
 
“What have you been doing? I'm busy with homework. Loads of it. Supposed to be concentrating on that now, but I'm distracted by your looks. And voice. And bigger than life influence. Better than the boredom,” I told him, knowing I sounded like a boring scholar.
 
Lestat was contented to listen. He waited patiently, and then said he had been visiting, settling financial banking stuff.
 
“I have to keep up to date with the stock market. That is boring, my love. I hate all the figures. Oh you will like Louis. I hope it is possible you can meet him one day. Both of you are alike, like to read, quiet, shy. Bianca, we can talk over long distances? Is it a problem for you?”
 
 
“No. It's cool man.” We laughed. “Lestat, David said something about, you losing some friends. They died? I am sorry if I sound too intrusive.”
 
Pause, rustle. Then the vampire told me not to worry. He was all right. Busybody David. “I will Kill him when he returns. Absolutely! He has no business gossiping. Kidding. Don't picture me doing that, coz he's a vampire too! I'm going out again tomorrow. I think I can get some stamps. South America is it? I'll see to that.”
 
“I couldn't----------- “
 
“No I insist. We're friends. (blew me a kiss) see you soon. Won't disturb you any more.”
 
“It's better than this darn homework. Please, talk to me some more,” I beseeched. “By any chance, do you know what to write about people's attitude towards politics? It's a term paper. I'm going nuts over it, wish I didn't choose this topic.”
 
The other suggested some great points, which I scribbled down. Not bad. He was very up to date, not the coop in the castle Dracula kind.
 
“Ah, but not email, internet. You know those right? I should, but I prefer reading newspapers and books for information.” He laughed like an excited youth. 220 years old, look at the great divide!
 
“Hey will you teach me some time?”
 
“Sure. Actually it's easy being internet savvy. You have been so helpful, Lestat. Ok, I really gotta go. Come back soon. Don't go away for too long a time ok?”
 
He sounded almost close to crying as he expressed the same mutual thoughts. “Goodnight Little Hawkgirl Bianca.”
 
“Goodnight Immortal Monsieur de Lioncourt,” I returned, grinning. The exoticness was there, being friends with a preternatural. Yet as I hung up, I shivered reading the reports of unnatural deaths and fang marks on victims' necks. I continued to do homework till almost bedtime at 10.30 pm.
 
Mum said we had to return to Mainland New York for our education. I didn't want to! I felt fine staying here at the Centre for Shapeshifter skills. The only difference was: chances of being good scholars are slimmer, because of the concentration on practical aspects. But the academics are fine to me. I do not wish to go to college. Yet. I would like an active life of discovery first before hitting the books again.
 
To: Mirabratford@hotmail.com
From: krys_angel@yahoo.com
Subject: discuss please!
 
Mum I don't wish to go back to the mainland. I'm doing fine here.
Making friends, environment wise, I am happy. Why not I stay here? I can stay with my falcon friends: Jerry and Mcnaughts. I like it here.
 
Pls consider.
 
Krys
 
 
From: Mirabratford@hotmail.com
To: krys_angel@yahoo.com
Subject: yes we ought to talk
 
What are u saying? Your father will be angry. he'd not allow u to stay here alone.
 
But I agree it is a good environment here. I have seen the school and like the way they teach. I wanted to have your sort of education. I will talk to him, see if we can work out something.
 
Btw, what happened b/w u and Marcus? U fought?
 
Mum
 
 
I typed a reply, then turned off the computer. I took a bath, then became a bird and tried out my wings. I tried to recall where Lestat had taken me for a walk. Day is different from night. Over the harbour, I listened in to some gulls chattering. But I did not understand a word. I kept an active listening for vampire- whereabouts, by the dusk falling. My sight noticed 2 shabbily dressed Unnaturals. Not as rich as my friend.
 
One of them looked up. I was not really afraid. Wild eyed, violent, bloodthirsty. Ugh. Definitely not Lestat's company. I compared him to them. Their thoughts were not guarded from me.
 
I read them clear as day. They liked mixing with shapeshifters out of the Freemandling Kingdom. Those are the forbidden race of shapers who want to change into more than 1 animal. They tend to stick to scorpions, spiders and dragon/serpent shapes. I flew onward, made for home. I touched down at my street and walked back.
 
 
Mom and dad were in another fight over my staying here. He felt I should mix with humans and just drop by during other vacations. Mom was pleading, please consider my feelings. That I wished to stay having found friends here. “She cares about the relationships she has forged here, Dan! How can you take her away again?”
 
Nobody asks me what I want. I felt so heartbroken that I ran past them fighting and slammed the door. Silence. Good. At least they had stopped fighting. I felt my dad's energy leave the house--------- he had Changed.
 
The phone in my room rang as I was going to the comp. I said “Hello”
 
“ Is it Bianca there?” I smiled, not revealing myself. He is not sure if I have other sisters, he only saw Marc. “It IS you, cherie! Naughty girl. Why did you bluff me? How are you doing?”
 
Downstairs my dysfunctional family began screaming once more, some stuff were being thrown and shattering. Marcus had come home, dad hates it. He hates us all! It is only five pm but to him, my little brother is so little! My heart pounded. “Bianca, are you alright? What is happening? Are you hurt?”
 
“I… I am ok. My folks are fighting….” I told him my issues. How I was reluctant to leave Freemandling. How I wanted to Stay! I poured it out to Lestat.
 
“I am sorry. What do you want to do? What are your plans?” he said gently.
 
“I don't know. I feel angry, confused. Why do they need to shout? Mom is ok, she is reasonable. Right now, he can't even accept my bro is big already! Damn it. Lestat, I am so glad you called me. I am so lost.”
 
Pause. “I can help you. I can use my power to persuade your father to listen. Would that be a plan?”
 
“Er, how would it work?”
 
“Trust me.” he chuckled. “I have my methods. I am great at helping others out. Wait for me. Don't do anything rash. I will fly there tonight. Do not worry.”
 
Confident, in charge. A stable support as a backdrop to the very insecure environment crashing around me.
 
“I will. Merci, Lestat.” We hung up. I veiled my thoughts of the recent cases of vampire killings. I hoped he didn't Read that.
 
 
 
The next day Dad went into a whole long lecture about how he understood us, but we had to stick together no matter what. We are a family and all that crap.
 
“I plan the best for all of you. Krys we love you. I don't think it is good to stay here. My company sent me back to America. We will go to New York. It is a very nice environment. It will get you to a good future.”
 
“Don't You think I can figure it out myself? I Want to stay here! I love to be secure. All this moving about is not nice. Have you asked what we want? No! All you do is yell until we give in! I am fed up of this. You force us to follow you. I won't.”
 
Big mistake. Never yell at your folks. The slap came so fast my ears rang. My vision was kinda affected. Domestic abuse. Mom and Marc were gaping. I breathed hard. My father----------- he slapped me?! I am his firstborn, the Shehawk, the support pillar of the family? And he does this to me? what happened to that long gone promise of never hurting us? I changed, flew to my room and bolted it tight.
 
He is the head of the house. Behaving so damned like a human! An insensitive human. For all the use being empathetic as an animal should be. Why why do we have to listen to HIM? I hate him!
 
I threw open the window. My brother cried out. Too late.
It was dusk. Lestat said he would come. I set out for his house.
 
You gotta help me Lestat. I am thrown out of my home. I dunno what is the definition of safety anymore!