InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Tainted Spirit ❯ Now or Never ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Even Inu-Yasha's increased sense of hearing could not pick up on Tantalus approaching from above. The hanyou whirls around, and Tantalus's staff just barely misses it's target. Inu-Yasha leaps back, but only after taking a large swing with the tetsusaiga. Tantalus easily shifts his weapon up, blocking the brunt of the attack.

"Where's Kagome?!?" Inu-Yasha roars as his face twists into a snarl.

"You'll have to go through me first!" Tantalus growls back. He charges toward Inu-Yasha, his staff surging with electricity. He sends the tip of his staff toward Inu-Yasha's throat, but only hits air as Inu-Yasha nimbly dodges. Inu-Yasha immediately retaliates, thrusting his claws at Tantalus's chest.

Tantalus steps back, avoiding the claws, but the attack comes to close for comfort. `He fights with much more vigor. I'll have to use every advantage I have.' He thinks, bringing his weapon back up into fighting position. He then notices that Inu-Yasha is almost completely unaffected by his previous wounds. He lets out a primitive growl, and the two warriors clash again.

***_________________________________***

Shippo struggles onto the summit of the mountain, and gasps for breath. He remembers how easily it was for Inu-Yasha to scale the mountain. A pang of jealousy hits Shippo, but he shakes it off. He looks up, and sees the large castle before him. Forgetting his envy of Inu-Yasha for the time being, he rushes for the large wooden doors standing before him, and realizing that he's much too small to open them himself, transforms into a small and slightly awkward bug, and crawls through a crack in the side.

***_________________________________***

The two fighters step back a moment, bringing their weapons into defensive positions as they catch their breath. Tantalus never imagined that Inu-Yasha would give him this much trouble. He winces, as he has received quite a few scratches from their duel. Inu-Yasha, who has received some wounds of his own, including a large burn on his left arm, begins to wonder what it will take to bring him down.

Inu-Yasha goes on the attack, swinging his blade repeatedly at Tantalus. His opponent manages to block every attack, and even gets an attack on Inu-Yasha's leg, cutting through his robe and putting a minor gash in his leg. Inu-Yasha, not wanting to let up, quickens his attack, and brings the massive sword into Tantalus's side. Tantalus immediately teleports away, reappearing in the air with his wings out. Tantalus, holds his side with one hand, gasping.

`Why does that sword hurt me so badly? It's like its cutting into my soul! I can't let that weapon touch me again!'

***_________________________________***

Shippo continues to scuttle across the floor, unnoticed. He begins to quickly examine the castle, trying to sniff out Kagome. Over their many travels, he had always been able to tell Kagome's smell from other humans. It was almost like she had some kind of an odor she gave herself. Shippo's head snaps up as he picks up on her scent. He follows it, down several stairs, until he comes to the dungeon. He spots Kagome, and comes out of his transformation.

"Kagome! I found you!" Shippo says as he runs toward her.

"Shippo! Don't touch the bars!" Kagome yells, a little too late.

Shippo lets out a yipe and jumps back as the bars shock him. He stops, and tries to think of a way to get the cell open.

`If Inu-Yasha were here, he would probably just break all these bars off no problem, lightning or not… I know I can do this! Think, Shippo. Think!'