InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Tainted Spirit ❯ Moment of Truth ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tantalus swings the door to the cell open and pushes Kagome inside. The wire unwraps from around her body and arms and returns to his wrists. He closes the door. She turns around, only to see the bright light of Tantalus' teleport. She looks around the cold dungeon, then slowly extends a hand to touch the bars. A small spark jumps from the bars to her hand. She jerks her hand back, only feeling a small bit of pain.

"Well he wasn't bluffing about the bars…" she mutters while looking around the room for a possible escape. She sighs, and walks over to a corner of the cell and sits down there.

She then remembers back to the calm look in his eyes while they were coming here.

"Those didn't seem to be the eyes of a demon, and they certainly didn't look as if they were evil…"

Suddenly, a chilling thought enters her brain. "He knew where me and Shippo were the whole time! That's how he knew where to send that wire. But… then why didn't he attack us? Is he really not ALL bad? He probably could have killed Inu-Yasha when he had him tangled up, but he didn't. I have to ask him."

She stands back up and begins to shout to her captor.

"Hey! Can you here me? Come back here!" She stops and waits for a response, only answered by emptiness. She thinks for a moment.

"Hey, thunder boy! Inu-Yasha is going to beat you! Your no match compared…" suddenly a light grows from behind her and fades. She turns around to see Tantalus leaning against the wall of her cell.

"Excuse me?" he says looking at her with an eyebrow raised. She could almost see a smirk on his face, too. "Hate to be the one to tell you this, but your dog friend isn't going to keep me from the shards."

"He's going to come here and try though…" she trails off, and looks at him for a couple seconds. "Why is it your after the shards?"

"That's hardly any of your business… but if you really want to know, it's simply because my leader has asked me to bring them to him."

"Why didn't he come and get them himself? Where is he, or anyone else, for that matter?" She says, without really thinking about who she's talking too. Luckily for Kagome, Tantalus doesn't seem to notice.

"Anubis has busied himself somewhere, none of us know exactly where he is. But since he's gone, all the dark dragons have been dismissed for now. You know, you really don't want to face him. Unlike me, he would have torn you apart instantly, rather than let you live."

"I was right. You could have killed us if you'd really wanted to… does that mean that you are human?" Kagome says, looking up at Tantalus.

Tantalus stares off into the wall, and seems to think hard before answering.

"I was human. But not anymore… Anyways, It seems your little friend is getting near, and I want to properly greet him." The wall behind him opens, and he steps through into the darkness beyond, leaving Kagome alone in the dungeon once again.

***_____________________________________***

Inu-Yasha continues to leap up the mountain, the castle becoming closer and closer. His sensitive ears prick as he hears the sound of stones being rattled below him. He stops and immediately reaches for his sword. He smiles a bit, seeing Shippo struggling to catch up with him. He turns his attention back to the large castle, and takes a few more leaps, carrying himself to the top of the mountain. He stops and looks around, seeing if anybody inside had spotted him. Satisfied that he's unnoticed, he runs up the castle, and makes one last jump, carrying him up and through a window in the side, sending glass shattering to the floor. He lands in what looks to be a bedroom, and quickly grabs the hilt of his sword. He stands there, motionless for a couple minutes, waiting to see if anybody heard him. He couldn't believe his luck as he opened the door of the bedroom and walked out, trying to sniff out where Kagome is.

Above him, from one of the many floating platforms, Tantalus watches Inu-Yasha exit one of the rooms and begin to search around. He thinks to himself:

`Alright, Inu-Yasha. It's time to end this.'

He jumps from the platform, falling straight toward Inu-Yasha.