InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Royal Birth: Sequel to His Little Girl ❯ Interlude ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Kagome yawned tiredly as she awoke alone in her bed, Rin's adopted rabbit next to her. Closing her eyes as she yawned again and rubbed her eyes, she failed to notice the changes that had taken place in her since the fight. She was no longer human; she was youkai now, completely. Fangs, claws, her eyes were still the same storm blue but flecked with tiny strings of pink. Her skin was a flawless nearly glowing snowy white, the pallor caught somewhere between new fallen snow and the brilliant silver of the full moon on a clear winter's night. She had crests, the same as her mate did, though instead of them being magenta hers were the silvery pink of her miko power, slightly shimmering when at rest, but would glow brightly and fiercely when in battle. Her hair was still the same midnight black, but was quite a bit longer and thicker now.
 
Gathering the small growing rabbit in her arm, she stumbled exhaustedly into the hall, still far beyond tired from her use of her miko powers and youki, but unable to sleep any longer. Every few steps or though another yawn would come from her and her fist would rub tiredly at her eye, the servants who had caught sight of her in her trek thought her to resemble Rin quite a bit when in search of her father. Kagome continued down the hall, instinct alone leading her blindly to her mate. As she yawned again and leaned tiredly against the wall, she heard a soft amused chuckle come from behind her and turned around, her sleep blurred eyes only able to focus on the gleaming silver hair.
 
“…oumaru?” she asked as she yawned softly once more, her eyes falling closed, unable to sleep, but unable to keep her eyes open.
 
“Worry not little friend,” the kind voice said to her. “I'll take you to your mate. Rest now,” he said to her as he lifted her in his arms and cradled her against his chest.
 
“M'kay,” she said as she cradled the tiny rabbit in her arms and curled up in the youkai's arms as she tucked her face into the side of his neck as he carried her down the hall and into Sesshoumaru's office where he and his father were sitting and discussing things.
 
“Good thing I had a craving for sushi,” Keitarozou said as he carried Kagome into the office, a servant with a tray of sushi, sake and tea for three following behind him. “Someone was looking for you,” he said his light blue eyes glowing with his amusement as he carried and handed Kagome over to her mate, bunny and all.
 
“-oumaru?” Kagome asked softly, her eyes still closed as she yawned softly when she was passed between hands.
 
“I'm here my mate,” Sesshoumaru said softly to her and kissed the crescent moon upon her brow. “Thank you,” he said to the dragon taiyoukai as he sat down in the chair facing away from the door as Sesshoumaru looked at the woman in his arms, holding onto the bunny, her fingers absently and unconsciously petting the soft fur.
 
Keitarozou nodded and then chuckled softly as he looked at Toga. “If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would not believe her to be the same girl that fought so fiercely yesterday. She looks so very harmless, especially with that bunny in her arms.”
 
“Mm, yes. Kagome is quite deceiving when taken at face value. Her inner strength is only matched by the purity of her heart. Not to mention that while she may be one of the gentlest people, human or youkai, that I've ever met; she fights like a wildcat if you harm or attack anyone within her pack, or anyone that she even thinks of as a friend.” Toga had been watching his eldest son's mate through his entire dialogue and chuckled softly when said girl yawned and rubbed her eyes with her fist before looking over at them both.
 
Kagome's eyes moved to the door as she watched Mintomaru and Kouga come in, but the only one she saw was Inuyasha. She had seen what had happened right before she had cleared the way for him, she had seen him jump into battle in an impossible situation, and she had seen him put his life in a nearly inescapable dangerous situation that could have been fatal.
 
“Sit,” she hissed out as she stood up from her mate's lap on unsteady legs and marched slowly toward the prone hanyou.
 
“What the hell was that for wench?!” Inuyasha snarled out as all eyes turned on her and watched the interaction between the two.
 
“Sit,” she hissed again as her chest heaved with repressed tears. “You…idiot,” she growled low as her breath hitched as her tears began to fall slowly. “I saw what you did,” she said as he got up and looked at her. “You…stupid…I may be mated to your brother, but damn you Inuyasha! We started this together and we will finish it together! I AM NOT ABOUT TO LET YOU DO ANYTHING STUPID LIKE THAT AGAIN!” she screamed at him as she sobbed and flung herself into his arms.
 
Everyone, including Inuyasha was shocked into silence by Kagome's outburst. No one had ever seen her like this, not even Inuyasha and he had been with her far longer than the others. The hanyou brought his arms up around her and held her to him as she cried.
 
“What did I do Kagome?” he asked her softly.
 
“You idiot,” she cried into his chest. “You couldn't use your sword, there were too many for your claws to be anywhere near effective, and you were surrounded with no way out and no one near to help you. You could have died right there!” she yelled at him through her tears and suddenly everyone knew what she was talking about.
 
“It was a battle Kagome,” the hanyou said softly as he held his friend tight. “I couldn't not fight.”
 
“I know that,” she said soggily as she looked up at him, everyone else watching on in interest. “But couldn't you have fought somewhere safer?”
 
“And where would you suggest wench? It was a battle, it's not like there was a safe place to go to.”
 
“You could've stayed with pappa,” she said weakly, the bunny clutched to her chest in one arm, its hind legs scratching at Inuyasha's haori until it found enough purchase to squirm out of Kagome's arms and perch on the hanyou's shoulder.
 
“I ain't gonna hide behind my old man in battle,” he said gruffly. “And what about you wench? You could've been killed easily when you fell off of Ah-Un, if that flying snake -”
 
“Dragon, thank you,” Keitarozou said hotly still getting used to the hanyou's unique way of talking about his fighting partners.
 
“Hadn't caught you,” Inuyasha continued as though he hadn't been interrupted. “What would we have done then, ever think about that?”
 
“You need me to purify the jewel so don't get all `hanyou power' on me. Besides, I was perfectly safe. My dragon friend can kick your scrawny ass,” she growled with a decisive nod of her head.
 
“This is better than those opera and geisha houses,” Mintomaru said softly as he leaned close to Kouga.
 
“Oh you have no idea,” the wolf chuckled keeping his voice low. “I've seen some of their more famous fights, and trust me she's sat that mutt deep enough to call it a grave.”
 
“You don't say,” Keitarozou said as he leaned toward the nearly whispering pair of lion and wolf.
 
“Oh yeah, I've always found them to be quite amusing.”
 
“Most definitely,” Sesshoumaru said his voice stoic as he looked on as his mate and brother continued their noisy arguing.
 
“I think this is the most lively I've seen her,” Toga said as he watched on in amused interest.
 
“Oh don't worry,” Kouga said with a laugh. “She's finally gotten back to her true self. You'll soon realize that this is nothing. Ayame's temper pales in comparison to Kagome's.”
 
Inuyasha growled low as he listened to the conversation taking place behind them. “We have an audience wench.”
 
“Yes, and they seem to be enjoying themselves,” she answered with a soft growl of her own. “I'm hungry,” she decided as she looked back at Inuyasha from where her eyes had turned to look upon the conversing group.
 
“There's a fresh boar in the kitchen, hunted it myself.”
 
“Lead the way,” Kagome said and the two walked out of the room, the sound of laughter following them down the hall, the small bunny still perched on the hanyou's shoulder.
 
“Oh my, I haven't enjoyed myself that long in quite a while,” Keitarozou said as he laughed. “She is far too amusing.”
 
“Yes, she is,” Toga laughed heartily.