InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Say ❯ Chapter four: Confessions ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter four

"What is wrong with Inuyasha? What can't you heal?" exclaimed Kagome. "Oh God,"she thought, "I have killed him. He's dying and its my fault."

"As ye know, Inuyasha heals from most wounds quickly. However this time is different. The knife lodged next to his heart. His heart was damaged. And for some reason, there is something in the wound that is preventing his healing. Kagome, child, who stabbed him? If we know this, we might be able to find out what was on the blade."

Kaede was unprepared for the reaction she got. Kagome turned white and began the sob. Sango put her arms around her friend and held her. Miroku turned to Kaede and said, "Kaede-sama, this is hard to explain. Kagome caused Inuyasha to stab himself by accident."

"What!? How!?" exclaimed the miko.

Through her sobs, Kagome explained about sitting Inuyasha and causing him to stab himself.

Kaede was horrified. "Oh child! Thee must let this go. It was no fault of thine that Inuyasha is hurt"

"Yes, it is. I didn't even sit him for a good reason. He was hiding something from me, a carving, and I thought he was being rude for no reason. I sat him to teach him a lesson in manners and now he's going to die because of me!" Kagome's voice rose till it was almost a scream.

Kaede looked at Kagome sternly. Speaking sharply, "Control thyself, child. It was a tragic accident, nothing more. Now, let us solve the problem instead of taking blame. If we find what is causing his wound to stay open, we have a chance of saving him. Wailing will not help. Now, ye said he was carving something, and it was the knife that he was carving with that stabbed him?"

Kagome calmed herself with visible effort. "Yes, that's right"

"Let me see the carving."demanded Kaede.

Handing the carving over with reluctance, Kaede looked it over. Lifting it to her nose, she sniffed it. The aroma from the wood gave her the answer she needed, much to her dismay.

The others watched her and saw her face fall. "What is wrong?" asked Sango.

"I feared this." Kaede proclaimed. "The wood Inuyasha used has certain properties in the sap. It is used to prevent wounds from closing. Assassins coat their blades with it to keep their targets from healing from an attack, insuring the kill. I have no knowledge of a cure." she said heavily.

Kagome's hands went to her mouth and she gasped. "So there is nothing that we can do! He's going to die!"

"Wait, Kagome. There may be an answer." said Sango. "As a demon exterminator, my family had some connection with the assassin clans. I have heard of this poison before and I have heard that one clan had found an antidote. There is a problem, though. The assassin clans are very private and do no one any favors. Getting the antidote will be next to impossible."

"We have to try!" exclaimed Kagome. "Where can we find one of these clans?"

"There is one two days ride from here. But I must warn you, they will not listen."claimed Sango.

"I DON'T CARE. I'VE GOT TO TRY." Kagome screamed. "He's dying because of me. I don't care what it costs, I'll get the antidote. Even if it kills me." Saying that, she turned and ran to the hut.

"We will have to keep a close eye on her." said a worried Miroku.

"I agree, Houshi."said Sango. "She may do something rash to save Inuyasha."

Kagome entered the hut and went to Inuyasha's side. He looked so pale and weak. The tears began again. "I'm so sorry."she whispered to him. "I wish the knife had entered me. I can't bear the thought of being without you. Please, please, don't die. I love you and I could never love another."

Kagome gasped as Inuyasha's eyes opened. "Don't say that."Inuyasha's voice could barely be heard.

Crying harder, Kagome said, "I don't blame you for hating me. I'm sorry. I'll leave."

"No, don't go." Inuyasha whispered. "I meant that you shouldn't wish yourself hurt."

"Why shouldn't I? I hurt you, badly. Now you could die and it's my fault" Kagome sobbed.

"Feh! I'm not dead yet! And I'm not going to let a knife wound kill me!"Inuyasha said with more force. He started to rise but gasped as the pain hit him and lay back down quickly.

"Inuyasha! Don't move, please!" Kagome pleaded. "Kaede says that your wound isn't healing. The wood you were carving had some kind of poison in it that keeps wounds from healing, so please don't move!"

"The wood I was carving? You saw the carving!? You were not to see that, yet, wench!" Inuyasha growled. "If you had minded your own business, none of this would have happened."

Kagome cringed away from him. "I know, and I wish it had never happened!"She began crying again.

Inuyasha's heart melted. "Kagome, please don't cry. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I was just disappointed. I wanted to surprise you with it. I wanted to see the look on your face when I gave it to you."

"I'm sorry I spoiled it. But it is beautiful and I will cherish it. Inuyasha, I have to tell you something. I will be going soon to find the antidote to the poison. Sango is going to take me to an assassin clan that knows the antidote." Kagome explained.

"No! You can't trust assassins! They have no honor and do nothing for anyone unless there is something in it for them! The price they ask may be more than I want you to pay!" protested Inuyasha.

"I don't care what they ask of me. I have got to make this right! You have nearly died protecting me, more than once! But this is different. I did this to you and I'll never be able to live with myself if you die!" Kagome's voice rose, "I'm going to do this." Kagome turned to go.

"Kagome?" Kagome turned back. "I can't protect you. If anything happens.... Look, I have to tell you something."

"What, Inuyasha? I have to get that antidote."

"Come back to me. I wanted to tell you this when I gave you the carving, but I love you."