InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Be Careful What You Say ❯ Chapter eight: Introductions ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter eight

A/N: I don't own Inuyasha. If I did, my wife would probably like him then.

Extra note: Sorry to take so long, between job interviews and band practice for my eldest, I've been swamped!

To say that Sango was shocked was an understatement. Never did she even dream of the guard's reaction to her. The best she had hoped for was some recognition and the chance to speak with the elder, not the all out welcome she was recieving. News of her presence had spread through the compound, and while the people were not runnning to see her, she could see the interested looks from the trainees and teachers. Presently, the teachers noticed the lapse in their pupils and set them to extra tasks because of their lapse in discipline ( and to cover their own lapse.)

The runner who had went to the elder came back as fast as he could run. "The elder will see you at once!" gasped the runner. "I will conduct you to the audience chamber." The runner turned and headed for the largest building in the compound. Sango looked at Miroku and Kagome and nodded. "This is going much better than I hoped for."stated Sango. "We may be able to get the antidote without too much trouble. Now we had better keep up with our guide." With that, Sango turned and followed the guide, who had stopped to wait for them.

Kagome couldn't keep the smile off her face or the tears from her eyes as she followed Sango. "We're going to get the cure!" she thought. "Now all we have to do is get it back to Inuyasha!"

Miroku was hopeful, as well. But he still worried that there would be a steep price asked for the antidote. He held his tongue though, as he followed Kagome and Sango. An errant thought caused him to smile slightly. "Inuyasha would never let me walk behind Kagome! He would kill me for the view I have!"

They entered the building and approached a large set of double doors. The guide was waiting there, in conversation with the guards. When they got to him, he spoke, "The elder has sent his greetings and his apologies. He would like nothing more than to see you Lady Sango, but clan business has come up. A stranger was found by one of our patrols and has been brought back. The elder must question him first and then he will see you. He apologizes for the rudeness of this but the welfare of the clan comes first. He hopes you understand and are not offended."

"No offense has been taken." said Sango with a warning glance at Kagome, "I know that clan business always comes first. If you will conduct us to a place to wait, we will await the elder's covienience."

"You are gracious, Lady Sango. You may wait in the audience chamber with your companions." stated the guide. So saying, he motioned to the guards to open the door. After it was open he strode into the chamber, motioning for them to follow. As they seated themselves, servants appeared with refreshments. "The elder wishes for you to refresh yourselves. He will be here soon." so saying, the guide turned and left the chamber.

When alone, Kagome turned to Sangoand exclaimed, "This is going great! We will have the antidote and be on our way back before evening!"

"Wait, Kagome. Do not get your hopes too high. They may still require a service for their secrets" warned Miroku.

"That concerns me as well. Just because they have welcomed me does not mean that I will be able to beg secrets without paying for them." said Sango.

Kagome was about to reply when the doors opened and an elderly gentleman walked. She was surprised by his appearance. Even though he was obviously very old, he walked erect, not really needing the staff he carried. His eyes were sharp and clear and he was in very good physical condition. He wore an outfit similar to Sango's exterminator's uniform. He smiled as his eyes came to Sango.

"Grandchild of my cousin, it is good to see you! We had thought that all of your clan had been killed!" he moved to embrace her as she stood. "Forgive an old man's bad manners, but noone has told me the names of you and your companions. If I may ask...?"

"Of course, elder. My name is Sango, and my companions are Miroku-sama and Kagome-chan."

The elder smiled and greeted each in turn. After words of greeting to each, he turned to his chair at the head of the chamber and sat. Still smiling, he looked at Sango and said, "Now that we have the introductions out of the way, what brings you to my clan? It cannot be for a social call, or you would have come sooner. Don't look so surprised, Iam old not feeble. And I am also not offended." He said the last with a chuckle at the expressions on the faces of the three."What is it you desire? I will see if I can accommodate you. I may not even charge you.... much!"