InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Yura ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10

*~*~*~*~*

Letter:

Dear Grandpa, Grandma, Mama and Souta.

How are you? Well I hope. As for me, I am doing fine here at a castle in the center of the forest, where I'm staying. It's a really big old castle, that once had a lot of people living there. Now however there are only a few left. They were all turned into demons, you see, by some curse, and most of them have forgotten that they were once humans. There are some good ones still though, they're the one's I'm staying with. There's Shippo, he's just a kid, and Tanuki the chef, Kirara and Myouga are castle guard and advisor, and then there's Inuyasha.

He was once a prince and he still tries to keep order over everything. He's rude, and mean, and difficult to get along with, but sometimes he can be okay too. He says he's going to keep me here until I tell him why we wandered into his forest in the first place, but I won't do that, so it seems I'll be stuck here for a while. It's not too bad here though. The castle is big with lots to explore, and Shippo, Tanuki and the others are really nice to me all the time. I guess they must be lonely after being by themselves for the last hundred years. The only thing I'm starting to hate here is food is because they only eat pickled vegetables and rice...it's a long story...

So, don't worry about me. I'm safe here, and if you could, please tell Kouga, Miroku and Sango not to kill any more demons. After all, they were once humans, and could be again once the curse is lifted. Also, don't try to come and get me. Not only is Inuyasha extremely powerful, he's very stubborn and quick to anger. If we just wait, he may get bored instead and let me go home.

I'm running out of paper, so I'll have to go for now. I'll tell you all about everything when I get back though, so don't worry. Stay well, and look after each other.

Love,
Kagome.

*~*~*~*~*

Kouga: That demon bastard! I'll kill him! I'll go rip his fucking lungs out right now!!

(Kouga stomps off to the far end of the room, obviously enraged. Miroku and Sango look at him with a tired expression, as if this is the millionth time they've heard this.)

Miroku (sighs): Please Kouga, I understand how you feel, but there really is nothing we can do...

Kouga: Shut up! How could you know how I feel you lecherous monk?! That bastard's got my woman, my Kagome! He's must be fucking joking if he thinks I'll leave her to him, no matter how many letters he makes her write! Grrrrrr!!

(He starts pacing again while Kagome's mother reads the letter again.)

Mama: It really does sound like Kagome though, doesn't it Grandma?

Kaede (nods): Hm...in which case, we should probably do as she says, and not interfere...

Kouga: WHAT?! You old hag, have you gone senile?

Sango (getting annoyed): Either way, if Kagome's family thinks it's best that we follow her wishes, then we can't interfere.

Kouga: WHAT!!!

Miroku: Sango's right. If that letter was written by anyone other than lady Kagome, then nobody would be able to tell better than her family, who have known her since birth. Since they say it is written by her, we have no choice but to believe them and follow Kagome's wishes.

(Everyone nods, except Kouga who is staring at all of them in disbelief. After this sinks in, he clenches his fist and storms out of the room in hatred.)

Kouga (enraged): Fine then, but if Kagome dies, her blood's on your hands! Oh and Sango, Miroku, you're FIRED!!

(Sango and Miroku just watch him go with calm, annoyed faces.)

Sango (miffed): Didn't we tell him we quit yesterday?

Miroku (equally so): ...must have slipped his mind...

Souta:...Sis...

*~*~*~*~*

(And so the season passes from fiery autumn to bitter winter. In the castle surrounded by snow, everyone has gathered around the evening fire. They are all dressed slightly warmer now, except for Inuyasha. Kagome is wrapped in a large blanket before the bright blaze, Shippo in her arms as she reads him a bed-time story. Kirara and Tanuki are dozing on one couch to the side of the fire, and Inuyasha is lying on his back on another couch directly behind Kagome. His eyes are closed and his one hand hangs lazily down onto the floor. He seems asleep, but you can tell he's really listening to the story.)

Kagome (reading solemnly): The next day they found her, the little match girl, frozen in the ally. She had left to be with her grandmother, in a place of happiness and love... The End.

(Kagome finishes the tale and for a moment only the fire can be heard, crackling quietly.)

Shippo (rather sadly): So Kagome...did the little match girl die then?

(Kagome looks thoughtful for a moment.)

Kagome: Hmmm, I suppose. It's like, in one way, she dies, and in another, she's really alive, but in a happier place...I think.

Inuyasha: Keh! That's stupid. When you die, you die, there's no such thing as an afterlife. Only a sissy would believe that bullshit.

Kagome (turning in surprise): Inuyasha, you were listening?

(Inuyasha simply doesn't answer and after a moment, Kagome turns back to face the fire.)

Kagome (thoughtful): But still, even if it isn't true, it's nice to believe it any ways.

Shippo (confused): What do you mean Kagome?

Kagome: Well, like when my father passed away, my little brother Souta was really sad. So, I read him this story, and told him to believe that Papa had gone on to a better place, and that we would see him again someday. That seemed to help a bit, I think.

(Shippo looks up at Kagome curiously.)

Shippo (quietly): Kagome, were you sad too when your father passed away?

(Kagome nods silently, and Inuyasha opens an eye to watch her.)

Kagome (quietly): Yeah, I guess I was a little...Papa was big and strong, but gentle and caring too. I missed him when he was gone, but I couldn't go on being sad forever. I had Souta to look after, and Mama was really sad too...I guess I just thought that, no matter where Papa was...I could make him proud of me by doing my very best at everything. If that was the case, then no matter what happened, I would always be loved.

(Shippo is silent in Kagome's arms for a moment before he quietly asks...)

Shippo (quietly): Kagome, do you think my Mom and Dad are proud of me now?

(Kagome looks down at Shippo surprised.)

Kagome (taken aback): Of course they are Shippo! You have a strong mind, and a courageous heart, the fact that you're here proves it.

Kagome (smiling): As long as you try your best, and remember what your parents taught you, there's no way they could ever be disappointed. Right?

(She smiles down at Shippo as he looks up at her with cute, wide, kid eyes. She's so genuine that after a moment, Shippo smiles back at her and gives her a hug around her waist. Up on the mantle of the fireplace, Myouga watches them, and then stares thoughtfully back at Inuyasha, who has unnoticed, turned his full attention to Kagome and Shippo. Instead of his usual annoyed stare, his face is covered with a soft, even tender look. His gold eyes reflect the warm light from the fire.)

Myouga: Lord Inuyasha...He may not want to admit it, but bit by bit, his heart is being healed by Lady Kagome...

Myouga (realizing something): Could it be that, already, Lord Inuyasha is in love with Lady Kagome?

(He stares thoughtfully at Inuyasha and Kagome, as if he thinks his last thought is probably more than an assumption. Then he narrows his eyes worriedly.)

Myouga: ...I only hope Naraku doesn't get wind of this...

*~*~*~*~*

(The next day at lunchtime everyone has assembled around the large dining table to eat their lunch in the same manner that they eat all meals. Inuyasha in his high backed chair look mightily nonplussed and Shippo on his massive pile of books. Kirara watches silently as Tanuki passes out the plates and Kagome looks at her rice and pickled vegetables and sighs in a depressed manner.)

Inuyasha (annoyed again): Hey Kagome, what's with that face?

(Kagome looks down at her plate unhappily.)

Kagome (gloomily): I was just thinking, is this really all you ever eat here? Rice and vegetables is just so, boring.

Inuyasha (miffed): Humf! If you don't like it, don't eat it then. It's as simple as that.

Kagome (still depressed): I know...but seriously, how have you managed to survive on just rice and vegetables for a hundred years?

Shippo (speculating): It wasn't always like this. I remember way back, when everyone lived here, we ate all sorts of things. We had fields and hunters, chickens and cows. Tanuki was the greatest chef, and every night we ate something different. Ahhhh, I miss that.

Kagome (speculating to Shippo): So what about now? I mean, I can see how the fields would be impossible to keep, but, wouldn't hunting be alright. People go game hunting in the outskirts of the forest all the time, and with Inuyasha's strength, it should be really easy right?

(Inuyasha starts to growl as Kagome and Shippo talk about him as if he wasn't there.)

Shippo (to Kagome): Oh course he could, but he's soooo high and mighty that he won't.

Inuyasha: Hey!

Kagome (to Shippo): High and mighty? What do you mean?

Inuyasha: HEY!!

Shippo (to Kagome): He says hunting is peasants work, and that he has more important things to do. But, you and I both know all he ever does is laze about the castle.

Kagome: That's true. Maybe he just doesn't like hunting...

Inuyasha (banging table): BOTH OF YOU!! SHUT UP!!!

(He stands up to glare at Kagome and Shippo across the table. They have turned to him, surprised as if they just noticed he was there.)

Kagome (surprised): Hmmmm?
Shippo: Geeze, what bug crawled into your lunch?

(Inuyasha just stares at them and fumes, shaking in rage and disbelief as they start eating calmly and innocently while Kirara and Tanuki munch silently at the side, not even taking notice.)

(Suddenly Inuyasha stops, and peers around suspiciously. His ears twitch as a sound, like a nail running up a tight metal guitar string, is heard. His eyebrows arch in realisation.)

Kagome (Puzzled): Inuya...

Inuyasha (Hissing for silence): SHHHH!!!

(This gets everyone's attention before he continues. The guitar string sound continues.)

Inuyasha (seriously): Don't anybody move...

(There is a long pause of utter silence as everybody does what he says. Inuyasha stands at the table looking tense, his eyes searching the room as his ears and nose twitch slightly. Kagome looks around worriedly, a pair of chopsticks, frozen in the act of placing food in her mouth. Inuyasha turns his head slowly towards the door.)

Inuyasha (quietly): ...it's Yura...

Others: !!

Kagome (Confused): Yura?

(Innocently she turns her head to look in the direction Inuyasha is staring. She suddenly winces as her cheek is sliced by something.)

Kagome: ah!

(Inuyasha turns to her with a furious glare.)

Inuyasha: Stupid! I said not to move!!

(Kagome looks at him, slightly scared for a moment. Inuyasha's ears twitch and suddenly he leaps over the table, tackling Kagome and knocking her and her chair over onto their backs. No sooner has this been done than a large bundle of hairs streak through the air directly where Kagome's head used to be. Everyone at the table scatters as the room is suddenly filled with moving vines of black hair. Between the protection of Inuyasha's body and the floor, Kagome gasps as she realises the room is an uneven mesh of thin detector hairs in every corner and entrance.)

Kagome (stunned): H...hair?

(Inuyasha lifts himself off of her to take a look around the room. He growls angrily.)

Inuyasha (growling): Shit, she knows we're here now.

Inuyasha (yelling): Kirara, get everyone outside! Shippo, Tanuki, stay with Kirara.

Inuyasha (Muttering): ...knowing Yura, she's probably got her hair up everywhere by now...

(He looks around the room thinking seriously as the others climb onto a transformed Kirara.)

Shippo (worried): Inuyasha, what about Kagome?

Inuyasha: Don't worry about that. Just distract Yura until I get back. Now go!

(They take off, breaking detector hairs as they go. These hairs are set up all over the castle so that if one is moved, Yura will know someone is there.)

(Kagome watches them with a confused, and worried look.)

Kagome: Inuyasha, are you sure they're okay?

Inuyasha (still crouched): Feh. They'll be fine. Yura's hair can't penetrate demon's skin. They'll just lead her on a pointless chase until I find someplace to dump you.

Kagome (Still confused): Eh? Why me? What's going on?

Inuyasha: You're skin's so fucking frail that I have to find someplace to hide you until Yura's gone. Here, put this on.

(He hands her his coat and Kagome looks at it in surprise.)

Kagome (stunned and determined): W...wait a minute! I'm coming with you...

Inuyasha (forcefully): Absolutely not!!!

Inuyasha (quieter, almost menacing): ...Yura can control hair from anywhere...one loop around your neck and it'll be gone before you know it.

(Kagome puts her hands up to her throat in a scared reflex action, before pulling Inuyasha's outer coat over her head. Inuyasha looks about the room, observing Yura's cage of the comb, before crouching in front of Kagome.)

Inuyasha: ...get on my back...

Kagome (surprised): Huh??

(He waits a minute before turning back to look at her out of the corner of his eye. He seems annoyed.)

Inuyasha: What are you waiting for stupid? I promise I won't drop ya so hurry up.

(Kagome nods after a moment and slowly and crawls up onto his back. Inuyasha waits until she's settled, before setting his eyes determinedly and moving forward swiftly. Kagome lurches, surprised at his quick acceleration, and grabs onto his shoulders tightly.)

Kagome (startled): Kyaaa!

(Inuyasha cringes as she screams in close proximity to his sensitive ears.)

Inuyasha (looking back): What? I said I won't drop you, so stop crying already.

(Clinging around his neck Kagome looks up at him as his hair flips by her face. She gets a curious, almost stunned look on her face as they speed down the halls, jumping and weaving Yura's hairs.)

Kagome (wondering): ...Inuyasha...Why is he doing all this? Is it just for my sake?

(They reach some stairs and Inuyasha starts bounding down them one story at a time. Kagome whimpers a little and clutches on tighter, losing her train of thought.)

*~*~*~*~*