InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Gone ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13a

*~*~*~*~*

(Sometime later near the approach of dawn, a very dim grey light seeps through the windows, into the dark stone hallways and passes of the castle. In the twilight of the parlour room, the fire has died down to a few red embers. Kirara, Shippo and Myouga (even though you can't see him) are sleeping on top of Tanuki, who is sprawled out on a couch off to the side. Tanuki snores lightly, and then moves a bit in his sleep, causing Shippo to awaken. Slowly, the fox cub opens his eyes sleepily, and then blinks wide awake, staring at something.)

(In front of him, silhouetted in the grey doorway, is the dark form of Inuyasha. He's sitting on a foot stool beside the couch on which Kagome is lying, a rather expressionless look on his face. Shippo watches as he gently puts a hand to Kagome's forehead and then pulls it away again.)

Shippo (quietly): Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha's eyes dart over to him in surprise, but then relax and go back to watching over Kagome.)

Inuyasha (quietly): Go back to sleep Shippo.

(Small pause.)

Shippo (quietly): ...Kagome...will she be okay?...

(Inuyasha passes his hand over her head again, as if he thinks it may have changed from a few seconds ago. He sighs, relieved at something.)

Inuyasha (a bit disbelieving): Her fever broke about an hour ago. She's just resting now. Don't worry Shippo, go back to sleep...

(Shippo watches him from the darkness, totally awed. Inuyasha continues watching Kagome, a clearly tender look visible on his face in the growing light.)

Shippo (disbelieving): ...he...stayed up with Kagome...all night?

(His train of thought is cut short as Kagome suddenly stirs in her sleep. Inuyasha watches her silently as she yawns, stretches a bit, and then slowly opens her eyes, blinking. He leans forward attentively, just a bit as she rubs the sleep from her eyes and yawns once again. When she at last looks up, she is surprised to see Inuyasha.)

Kagome (confused): Inu...yasha? ...What are you going here...?

(She suddenly looks around and realises where "here" is. The memory of last night hits her and she unconsciously moves her hand towards the place where her arm was hurting her. Suddenly the sound of water is heard off to the side. She turns surprised to find Inuyasha holding a cup out to her.)

Inuyasha (softly): Here...

(He puts an arm behind her pillows and lifts her gently, holding the water up for her and letting her steady it with her own hands. She stops for a brief moment, as she notices his gentle face.)

Kagome (surprised): Inu...yasha?... ... What happened?

(Kagome gulps down the liquid, obviously thirsty. After she's finished he sets her back down and puts the cup back on the table. Kagome wipes her mouth and goes back to rubbing her arm and looking around.)

Kagome (quietly): Inuyasha, what's going...

Shippo: KAGOMEEEE!!!

(Poor Shippo can't wait any longer and he jumps onto her with a loud, joyful yell waking up everybody.)

Kagome: Sh...shippo?

Shippo (crying): Whaaa Kagome! I was so scared! You were bit by a poisonous bee and almost died! *sob*

Kagome (surprised): Th-There, there Shippo. Don't cry. I'm fine now see!

Tanuki: Lady Kagome!

Kirara: Weow!!

(They all crowd around her, pushing Inuyasha to the side. He watches the scene with a look of total awe and surprise on his face as Kagome tries to reassure them all.)

Tanuki (crying): Lady Kagome! We were so worried!

Kagome: There, there, I said I'm fine! Were you worried too Kirara?

Kirara: Weow!!

(Kagome laughs as Kirara jumps up to lick her face. As he watches, Inuyasha's expression slowly softens, until the emotions of relief and happiness are strew genuinely across his face. Suddenly, he gets up, taking Tetsuiga with him. He shoulders it, and starts walking towards the door as the first rays of daylight appear in the hall. Kagome notices him and stops the celebration.)

Kagome (curious): Inuyasha?

Shippo (surprised): What's wrong? Where are you going?

(Inuyasha pauses his walk, and thinks for a few seconds before answering.)

Inuyasha (sounding annoyed): Keh! Nobody could get better on those rice and vegetables you serve Tanuki...

(Everyone looks at him, puzzled by his words.)

Kagome: ...Inu...

(He turns around and Kagome is taken a back by what she sees. Inuyasha is smiling happily, Tetsuiga on his shoulder as the sun shines around behind him, *kinda like in episode 11 with the noh mask*)

Inuyasha (confidently): So... ...we eat fresh meat tonight!

(He makes a swing of Tetsuiga just for affect as Shippo and the others begin jumping up and down cheering. All accept Kagome who just stares in disbelief. A moment later Inuyasha leaves the room.)

Kagome (thinking out loud): Inuyasha seemed so...happy? ...I thought he hated hunting.

Myouga (on her shoulder): Lord Inuyasha is simply relieved that you're alright. He was very worried about you, you see.

Kagome (stunned): H-he was?

Shippo (nodding): Uh-huh. He stayed up all night watching you, he even got scared last night when you collapsed.

Kagome: ...Inuyasha did...that? But why?

Tanuki (overjoyed): Oh boy, oh boy! This calls for a celebration! Shippo, come help me in the kitchen! I'll make breakfast, and then we'll start on a feat for dinner! Stay here Lady Kagome, we'll bring the food to you! ... Oh I can't wait!!

(He trots off happily, followed by Shippo who is licking his lips with anticipation. Kirara stays behind and lets Kagome pet her as much as she wants, and as Kagome watches them go, she can't help but feel happy.

*~*~*~*~*

(Later on that day, everyone except Tanuki is seated in the parlour in front of a warm fire while Kagome reads them a story. The room is brightly lit by windows and the snow blows off of the roof gently outside, making it seem like it's both snowing and sunny. Suddenly Tanuki comes in and sets down a tray of tea, everyone gasps.)

Kagome: Tanuki! Is that tea? Where did you get it?

(Tanuki smiles craftily.)

Tanuki (proudly): It's part of my secret store I keep for special occasions. Shhh, don't tell Master Inuyasha.

Kagome (happily): Oh wow! I never thought I'd be so happy to see regular tea! This is great, thank you Tanuki!

(Tanuki smiles and rubs the back of his head, blushing from all the praise. Kagome picks up a cup and takes a sip, sighing contently.)

Kagome: Ahhh! That tastes great!

Tanuki (blushing): Hehehehe...

(Suddenly Kirara sits straight up and leaps down from the couch, stopping halfway between the couch and the door.)

Shippo: Kirara?

(Kirara starts to growl and transforms. The others sit up attentively as something moves behind the door in the hall. Instantly a figure appears in the doorway.)

Sango: Hiraigotsu!

(She throws out her giant boomerang which hits Kirara full in the side before crashing to the ground.)

Miroku: Ofudo!

(A second later, Kirara finds herself unable to move as a sealing paper has found it's mark on her side. She de-transforms. Instantly Miroku rushes forward attaching other papers to Shippo and Tanuki so that they also are unable to move. The two of them meet again in the center of the room, one standing protectively on either side of Kagome. They stop, apparently awaiting the arrival of a final opponent. Kagome watches them, utterly shocked.)

Kagome: ....Sango...Miroku...wha...

Miroku (rushed): Lady Kagome, are you alight?

Kagome: ...Huh?

Sango (darkly): Kagome, where is he? Where is Inuyasha?

Kagome (too shocked): Uh? Huh? Wha??

(She suddenly gets fed up.)

Kagome (yelling): What's going on here?!

(This is finally enough to get the attention of Miroku and Sango. They stop and turn to her.)

Miroku: We're here to rescue you of course.

Sango: Where's the last one, Inuyasha you called him in your letter. Is he here?

Kagome (shaking her head): No, he went out...What are you doing here?

(This seems to relax them a bit, and they drop their fighting poses.)

Miroku (calmly): Like I said, Lady Kagome, we're here to take you back home.

Kagome (protesting): But I don't want to go...

(She stops herself before she says the whole thing, surprised at her own reaction. Miroku and Sango however have taken the hint. Sango sits down gently beside the distraught girl with a sigh.)

Sango (gently): Kagome, we know the letter said not to come and get you, and we wouldn't have...but, Kagome, Souta is...

(She stops and looks away sadly. Kagome gets a worried look in her face.)

Kagome: What? What about Souta? Sango?

Miroku (solemnly): He's become very sick, and they're not sure if he will survive. If that was the case, we thought that perhaps you would like to know...

(Kagome is silent for a long time as she looks down at her lap.)

Shippo (Weakly):...Ka...Ka...

Kagome: Shippo!

(She gently lifts him up from where he had fallen on the floor and peels the seal from his face. He blinks once, shakes his head a couple of times to clear it, and then starts.)

Shippo (crying): Kagome!! You can't go! You just can't!!

(He starts sobbing and Kagome folds him into her arms for comfort, but instantly her face is resolved and after a minute she turns to look at him.)

Kagome (gently): Shippo, I have to go now. My brother is very sick, and I have to take care of him. You understand right?

(Shippo doesn't reply, but his lip starts to shake again and he runs to her arms before he starts sobbing again.)

Shippo (crying): Kagome!! Kagome!! Kagome!!

(Sango and Miroku observe the scene with a surprised look on their faces.)

Sango (surprised): So it is true then, they really are like humans...

Miroku: Who would have thought...

(Kagome manages to settle Shippo down enough to get him to let go of her, and she sets him down on the couch while he wipes his eyes. Gently she goes over and peels the seals off of Tanuki and Kirara, who start to bawl and mew sadly the second she does. She gives Tanuki a hug to say thank you before she turns to the door.)

Kagome: Thank you, everyone. I'll miss you all.

Shippo: *Sniff*

Tanuki: *Sob*

(Kagome looks up surprised as Kirara suddenly transforms. However, instead of growling, she simply comes up and rubs Kagome's hand. Kagome strokes her fur and ears.)

Shippo (trying not to cry): She says...*Sniff*...to let her take you...*Sniff*...h-home...

(He takes a deep breath to calm himself.)

Shippo: After all, it's cold, and there are a lot of demons...

(Kagome looks down and pets Kirara thankfully.)

Kagome (gently): Thank you Kirara, I would like that very much...

(As she looks back up, a tear slides down her own cheek.)

Kagome (sadly): ...Tanuki...Shippo...don't be sad. I'm going home, where I belong. It's okay...

(She chokes and turns around to go, tears streaming from her cheeks.)

Kagome (choking up): ...Take care of Inuyasha please... Tell him, I'm sorry...

Kagome (painfully): ..Goodbye...

(And just like that, she's gone.)

*~*~*~*~*

(A little while later, Inuyasha himself is standing in the doorway to the parlour. The whole atmosphere is that of gloom as Shippo hasn't moved from the couch, and Tanuki is lifelessly picking up pieces of the tea-set that was knocked over during the fight. Inuyasha glares at them enraged, a brown sack of something (probably his prey) slung over his shoulder.)

Inuyasha (yelling): Shippo! Hey! I said, where is Kagome?! Tanuki! You'd better answer or else!!

(He raises his fist in a menacing fashion to Tanuki and Shippo. Shippo simply turns his head to him expressionlessly and then turns away a second later. The depressed, mournful, lifeless look in his eyes effects Inuyasha, and he suddenly begins to look worried.)

Shippo (quietly): ...She's gone...

Inuyasha (yelling): What?!!

(Nobody even flinches at his disbelieving shout, and it slowly begins to stink in as Shippo explains.)

Shippo (expressionlessly): The demon hunters came while you were gone. They said Kagome's brother was very sick. She went back with them because she was worried. Kirara took her, just to make sure she was safe.

(Inuyasha stares disbelieving for a moment, and then his gaze drops to the floor.)

Inuyasha (lifeless): ...Kagome...went home?

(The sack he was carrying falls hitting the ground with a *whud.* In the silence that follows, Shippo and Tanuki look up, as if they were expecting some reaction. Instead they see Inuyasha moving quietly away down the hall, almost as if he were sleep walking...)

Shippo: Inuyasha...