InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Shippo to the Rescue! ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 14

*~*~*~*~*

Souta (begging): Sis, tell me more. Please??

(Kagome is sitting beside her brother, who is in bed, but looking as full of energy as any little kid. It's just after sunset, and there is a candle in the little room to provide them with light.)

Kagome (older sister voice): Now, Souta. You just woke up yesterday. I'll tell it to you more tomorrow after you get some sleep. Okay?

Souta (whiney): Awwwe, come one. I've been sleeping for a whole week now. The last thing I need is *Yawn* more sleep.

Kagome (smiling): Maybe so, but you were very sick. Sleep will help you get your strength back, now lay still.

(She picks up the candle and walks to the door. Just as she's about to close it, Souta's sleepy voice is heard from inside.)

Souta (sleepily): Kagome?

(Kagome stick her head back in.)

Kagome: Yes Souta.

Souta (quietly): I'm glad you're back.

Kagome (smiling): So am I Souta, now goodnight. I'll tell you more stories about the castle tomorrow.

Souta: Mn...zzzzzzz

(Kagome smiles gently and then shuts the door and heads down the hall, thinking as she goes.)

Kagome: I've only been back for three days now, and already everything that happened seems like a dream...

Kagome (worried): Souta was so sick, I thought he would burn up with fever. I'm glad he's okay now. He already seems so full of energy...just like Shippo...

(Kagome stops to look out of a window, melancholically. The weather must have taken a sudden turn, because already the snow has melted in patches, (winter in Europe is so short any ways.) Kagome sighs.)

Kagome: I wonder how they're doing...Shippo, Tanuki, Kirara, Myouga...

Kagome (sadly): ...Inuyasha...

(She sighs again and rests her head in her hands.)

Kagome: ...He's probably REALLY angry at me for leaving like that...even after I promised I wouldn't...I wonder if he'll come and kidnap me again...

(Kagome thinks back to the time she woke up after she was sick. Even though the light was dim, she can still clearly remember the tender, relieved look that was on his face at the time. She sighs and stares out towards the forest sorrowfully.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Meanwhile at the castle, everyone has gathered around to eat a dreary dinner, which still includes remains of the meat Inuyasha caught. Inuyasha however, is not present, and Shippo looks around worriedly.)

Shippo (quietly): ...Is Inuyasha not eating again tonight?

(Everyone looks up at him with the same sad, helpless gaze. Myouga sits on the table and sighs.)

Myouga (depressed): Lord Inuyasha still hasn't come down from his spot. I suspect he may continue brooding for some time yet...

Tanuki (Sadly): He really misses Lady Kagome, doesn't he...

(At the mention of her name, everyone grimaces sadly and turns to their plates to distract their thoughts. Shippo, however, doesn't touch his food, and after a moment, stands up resolved, and starts walking out of the room. Tanuki, Kirara and Myouga watch him go, a little puzzled. He leaves the kitchen and enters the hall.)

(A few minutes later, he opens the door to a room lit by the pale light of moonbeams. They shine down through Inuyasha's favourite window without any glass, at the bottom of which slumps a lone figure. Inuyasha is staring out the window, sitting with his head leaning against the side of the window and his feet resting on the sill beside him. He seems to be beyond asleep, almost lifeless.)

(A/N: Pic of Inuyasha's window on homepage.)

Shippo (Uncertainly): ...Inuyasha?...

(There is a long silence before he gets and answer.)

Inuyasha: ...Go away Shippo...

(He tries to sound annoyed, but his voice lacks it's usual edge and fire. Shippo hesitates a moment before walking up to him, still holding his plate. He takes a deep breath and jumps up, landing on Inuyasha's lap which is sprawled out along the base windowsill. Inuyasha still doesn't react, and Shippo looks up to see his face. It has a really distant look on it, his mind being miles, and ages, away from a cold room in a castle. Shippo seems like he's about to give up, but hardens himself and thrusts the plate into Inuyasha's face.)

Shippo (determinedly): Hey! Inuyasha!

Inuyasha (flatly): ...didn't I already tell you to get lost...

(Shippo looks crest fallen, but won't give up.)

Shippo (angrily): Humph. There's no way in hell I'm going to do that...

(He picks his words carefully)

Shippo (quieter): ...because...Kagome wouldn't want me to...

(Inuyasha reacts to this somewhat. Shippo pulls the plate away a bit, but only so that he can sit down cross legged and start to munch the food.)

Shippo (continuing): Do you remember, Inuyasha, when she told us that story? You know, the one about the little match girl?

(He takes another tiny mouth full and looks up just to make sure Inuyasha's listening. He still hasn't moved, but his face doesn't look quite so distant.)

Shippo: Kagome said that if I tried my hardest at everything, my parents would always smile for me, no matter where they were. In a way, I think this is like that... ...It's like Kagome's just gone on to a better place, that's all, and we should be happy for her.

Shippo (warming up): Even though she isn't here anymore, doesn't mean we can just give up. Kagome would be really sad if we did that because of her. And besides, it's not like we'll never see her again. Kagome could still come back you know...

Inuyasha (enraged): She's never coming back!

(Inuyasha turns to Shippo, glaring furiously. Shippo gets scared and leaps off Inuyasha's lap before he can make a swipe at the little cub. He lands a few feet away, delicately balancing the plate, waiting as if he hopes Inuyasha will come after him. Inuyasha, however, just turns back to the window and looks depressed again. Shippo sighs in defeat and puts his plate on the ground. Leaving it there, he turns to walk off, but stops at the door and turns back.)

Shippo (calmly): You know Inuyasha, there really is no way Kagome's going to come back if all you do is sit here on your butt. It's easy to say that she's not coming back, but you'll never know for sure unless you try something.

( Shippo, after showing wisdom beyond his apparent age, sighs and shakes his head sadly before going off, leaving Inuyasha to his contemplations.)

*~*~*~*~*

(The next day at the Higurashi household.)

Kouga: Kagome!

(He leaps off his horse and runs to her where she stands sweeping in the courtyard. She raises her eyebrows in surprise, as if she'd completely forgotten who he was, but remembers in an instant as he takes both her hands in his, forcing her to drop her broom. Kagome sweat drops.)

Kagome: Eh...Kouga? What do you want?

Kouga: Kagome! I'm glad! Are you safe? If ANYTHING has happened to you...

Kagome (trying to back away): Oh no, no! I'm perfectly fine. See? Nothing really bad happened...

Kouga (gripping hands tightly): Oh Kagome, you are so courageous, which is the very reason why you are so deserving of my love. I'll never let anything separate you from me again.

(Kagome has a look of tried patience on her face as he pauses for dramatic affect.)

Kouga: Kagome? Can I ask you something?

(He gets down on one knee and Kagome jumps in surprise, then stares in disbelief.)

Kagome: Eh?

Kouga (confidently): Kagome, everyone knows you've belonged to me for a long time now... Although I was going to wait until after I cleared out the forest for this, I don't want to make you wait a minute longer...

(Suddenly Kouga pulls a ring out of his pocket and gets ready to put it on her finger.)

Kagome: Eehh?!

Kouga: Kagome! I promise, I will make you the happiest wife in all the...

Kagome (panicing): W...w...w...WAIT A MINUTE!!

(Kouga stops and looks up in shock at her as she suddenly backs away.)

Kouga (unnerved): What is it, Kagome?

(Kagome just keeps edging away, trying to think of a viable excuse.)

Kagome (Lying through her teeth): Uh...Kouga...it's just that...this is so sudden...I mean I...

Kouga (Looking confused): You don't like the ring?

(He looks unhappily at the oversized rock in his hand. Kagome stops and just about falls over at his ability to NOT get the point, but recovers quickly.)

Kouga (indifferently): If that's the case, I can always return it. We'll buy another one, don't worry.

(He looks up with the expression of someone who has just been slapped in the face, as Kagome shakes her head.)

Kagome (gentler): No Kouga, it's not that. It's just that...that...

Kouga (worried): ...What is it Kagome?

(He looks at her and Kagome looses her nerve, making up an excuse instead.)

Kagome (lying): It...it's just that I need time is all, after all, I just got back...

(An idea suddenly strikes Kouga, and he stands up angrily.)

Kouga (fiercely): There's something else, isn't there...that demon jerk...he did something to you, didn't he?

(Kagome jumps in surprise and takes a step back at his sudden change of mood. Slightly afraid, she holds her hands out in defense and looks innocent.)

Kagome (overly reassuring): No...no it's nothing like...

(She stops as she realises Kouga isn't listening. He has turned his back to her and is bristling with rage.)

Kouga: Bastard! For doing THAT to you...I'll NEVER forgive him! NEVER!!!

(Kagome wonders what he's talking about, then...)

Kagome (realising): Uh...Ah!!...No no, it's nothing like that! Nothing at...

(Kouga interrupts her by turning to her and grabbing both her hands in his.)

Kouga: Kagome, don't say another word, you don't have to tell me for me to understand. I promise you, I will avenge your honour by taking that bastards head! He will not escape my wrath! Oh Kagome...

Kagome (Disbelieving): ...H...Hey!!

(He turns to leave, not listening at all, like usual.)

Kouga: Sorry to make you wait even longer Kagome, but I promise, after I kill that bastard, I will make you my wife!!

(In one leap he jumps onto his horse's back and rides off to plan his revenge. Kagome watches him leave from the courtyard, shaking her head still unable to believe his stupidity.)

Kagome (tiredly): God, what did I ever so to deserve this...

(Suddenly something rustles in the bushes behind her and she turns around with a start. A second later a small cat, with two tails, emerges from some bushes. Kagome's face suddenly lights up with joy.)

Kagome (happily): Kirara!!

Kirara: Weow!!

(Kirara bounds up to her, carrying something in her mouth as she leaps up into Kagome's arms. Kagome hugs her tightly and Kirara purrs happily a moment before they separate and Kagome looks at her with astonished eyes.)

Kagome (surprised): Kirara, what are you doing here?

Kirara (happily): Weow!

Kagome (noticing package): Ah! What's this? Is it for me?

(At Kirara's nod, Kagome takes it from her and walks over to some steps and sits down to open it. Putting Kirara on the side, she examines the package carefully before opening it. It's small, and wrapped in red cloth and tied with white string. Kagome feels it between her fingers.)

Kagome: Hmmmm...It must be from Shippo, right Kirara? I bet it's an acorn or fox spell or something...

(Kirara shakes her head and looks up at her. Kagome tries again.)

Kagome (jokingly): No? Hmmm, well I hope Tanuki didn't send me pickled vegetables then. I never want to see another pickle in my life.

(Kirara shakes her head again, and Kagome turns back to the package curiously. She stares at it, perplexed as she reaches to undo the ribbon.)

Kagome (rationalizing): Well then it must be something from either you or Myouga. There's no way in the world that Inuyasha would ever...

(She stops as she unfolds the cloth, revealing what is inside. Her eyes go wide in sudden shock and utter amazement as she stared inside. Sitting in her lap are two small objects, one is the ring Inuyasha took from her a long time ago, and the other...)

(Kagome reaches down and gently picks it up in her hand, fingering it gingerly in her palm as if it might vanish in an instant. It's a lock of hair, silver hair, about four inches long, and tied neatly with a red string right in the middle. Kirara looks quizzically from it to Kagome, and then stops in shock at the later. Tears have begun to form in Kagome's eyes as she gently strokes the lock of hair with her other hand, waves of memories coming back to her...)

*~*~*~*~*