InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Do What You Have To Do ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 15

*~*~*~*~*

//To: Do What You Have To Do//
//By: Sarah McLaughlan//
//PS: contains slightly altered scenes from past chapters.//

(Kagome remembers the time after Inuyasha saved her from the mantis demon. She stands in the dark forest as orange leaves drift lazily down around her like cherry petals.)

//What ravages of spirit, conjured this tempestuous rage//

(Her face is tight with fear as the angry boy, with silver hair, leaps down in front of her and cracks his clawed hands. He takes a few steps towards her, menacing.)

//Created you, a monster, broken by the rule of law.//

(Inuyasha suddenly staggers and holds his hand to his stomach, closing his eyes and grimacing in pain. When he opens them again, he looks down at his bloodied hand and frowns in worry, and maybe even slight fear. From Kagome's point of view, he appears to be entirely alone, without comfort from any of the pain.)

//And fate has led you through it, you do what you have to do,//
//And fate has led you through it, you do what you have to do,//

(So Kagome hands him her shawl. At first, he just stares dumbly at it, as if it were just an illusion. However, soon the reality of it sinks in, and as it does, his face goes through an array of emotions. It changes from worry, to confusion, to disbelief, then suspicion and finally ends up in a mix of all four. Hidden under that is a gentle shade of cautious warmth, which lets Kagome know that he does appreciate it, even if he'd never admit it out loud.)

//And I have the sense to recognize, that I don't know how to let you go,//
//I don't know how to let you go...//

//The glowing ember, burning hot, and burning slow,//

(Kagome remembers her and Inuyasha sitting in front of the fire, it's brilliant light reflecting fiercely on the surface of his golden eyes. However, beyond the reflecting surface are hidden depths of sorrow and serenity, hopes and dreams. Kagome stares at him, a tender look spreading across her face. Suddenly he notices her and darts a fierce glare at her.)

//Deep within I'm shaken by the violence of existing for only you,//

(Kagome realizes what she's been doing and quickly turns away looking embarrassed, and a little hurt. After a moment, she gets up and walks out of the room without looking back.)

//I know I can't be with you, I do what I have to do,//
//I know I can't be with you, I do what I have to do,//

(Inuyasha slowly turns and watches her go, a surprised, regretful look in his eyes.)

//And I have the sense to recognize, that I don't know how to let you go,//
//...I don't know how to let you go...//

//Every moment marked, with apparitions of your soul,//

(Inuyasha watches Kagome and his friends as they tackle her after she recovered from the poison. They're all smiling and laughing, crying and hugging. A gentle smile, full of contentment crosses his face.)

//I'm ever swiftly moving trying to escape this desire,//

(Suddenly he gets up and walks away, heading quietly for the door. Before he completely disappears though, he tosses and envious glance backwards as Shippo jumps into Kagomes arms. He gets cuddled and then makes her laugh as he tickles under her chin with his tail, and Inuyasha can't help but wish that was him.)

//The yearning to be near you, I do what I have to do,//
//The yearning to be near you, I do what I have to do,//

(Inuyasha rips himself away from the happy scene and leaves quickly. Unnoticed, Kagome watches as he turns the corner so fast his hair fans out behind him before vanishing behind the wall. That was the last time she ever saw of him. The scene fades into the present moment in the story. Kagome is sitting on the steps of her house, staring at a lock of silver hair in her hand and letting the hot tears flow down her face.

//And I have the sense to recognize, that I don't know how to let you go,//
//...I don't know how to let you go...//

Kagome (choked whisper): ...Inuyasha...

//...music fades...//

(Kirara looks up from her seat beside Kagome, understanding in her face, and sadness for her friend. She rubs Kagome's arm with her head once, before looking up at her with sympathetic eyes. Kagome turns to her and Kirara jumps into Kagome's arm, resting her paws on Kagome's shoulders and burying her head into Kagome's neck in comfort. Kagome clutches her small gift in her hand before wrapping her arms around Kirara's small body and crying in earnest.)

*~*~*~*~*