InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Naraku ( Chapter 18 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 18

*~*~*~*~*

(At the sudden call of Kirara, all action in the kitchen freezes. Inuyasha's face is instantly drained of any laughter as he pauses mid splash, and then springs up from all fours to dash out the door.)

Inuyasha: ....SHIT!!!

(He barges out the door, drawing Tetsuiga and taking up stance, just ahead of Kirara. He glares at the two figures ahead of him, recognizing them instantly.)

Inuyasha (hissing): Taigia demon exterminators...You bastards, how dare you enter my cas....

(Kagome interrupts his terrifying rant with an anticlimactic....)

Kagome (pleasantly): Miroku, Sango? What are you doing here?

Miroku (coyly): No, I think the question is, what were you doing in there, Kagome-sama?

(Kagome and Inuyasha both drop their jaws open in unision, and a light blush creeps over them. Of course, they're still sopping wet, and Inuyasha suddenly realises everyone crouched by the kitchen door was listening in on them. Luckily, the embarrassed silence is exactly what Miroku was counting on. Without missing a beat, he steps in.)

Miroku (smoothly): That's alright. Allow me, I'm Miroku and this is Sango. We come in peace, so you can put your sword away. Actually, we came here with a business preposition, would you like to hear it?

Inuyasha (snarling): The only thing I wanna hear you do is beg for mercy!!

(With that he crouches, ready to spring when Kagome places a hand on his shoulder and steps out in front.)

Kagome (confused): Sango, Miroku, I thought you were working for Kouga? What are you doing here?

Sango (put out): Hump. Like anyone could ever work for that brainless, self centred, air headed...

Miroku (calmly interrupting): As we said, we have a business preposition for you, will you hear it?

(Inuyasha looks like he's about to slice them up instead, until Kagome's hand squeezes his shoulder. He throws a glance at her to see her face in a firmly resolved "do it and I'll never forgive you" look. He sighs and pulls himself up to his full height, sheathing Tetsuiga.)

Inuyasha (arrogantly): Alright, I'll hear you out, BUT...

(He cracks his knuckles for effect.)

Inuyasha (threateningly): If I don't like it, I'll throw you out of here so hard you'll be beyond my forest before you hit dirt, Got That?!

(Sango and Miroku don't seems to be in the least bit threatened by this, Infact, Sango even sighs.)

Sango (exasperated): Great, from one egotistical hot head to another....

Miroku (warning): Sango!

(Miroku turns back to Inuyasha with a calm face.)

Miroku (calmly): It's rather simple, really. As you know, we're demon exterminators for hire, and we heard from Kagome-sama that you were having troubles with a certain Youkai...

Inuyasha (growling): What certain Youkai?

(Miroku seems to consider a moment.)

Miroku (pensively): I believe his name was ... Naraku? Or something...

Inuyasha (disbelief): Naraku... ?

Miroku (calmly) Ah, so I was correct...

Inuyasha (enraged): NO! Absolutely NOT you babbling BASTARD of a PREIST! NO-ONE is going to kill Naraku but ME, got it?! NOW LEAVE!!

(With the look of murder in his eyes, he takes a few stomping steps towards them, ready to carry out his previously made threat. However, before he can get any further, Shippo latches on his arm.)

Shippo: Wait, Inuyasha!

(Inuyasha stops to look at him.)

Shippo (hastily): Maybe we should think about this, I mean, they could come in handy...

Inuyasha: Shuddup! I don't trust them, they're DEMON exterminators, and I'm a DEMON!

Shippo: Yeah but maybe...

Miroku (interrupting): I see your dilemma, perhaps we can sweeten the deal, as they say...

(Inuyasha just glares at him, waiting for him to continue. Miroku clears his throat.)

Miroku: Ahem, perhaps a trial period is in order, during which you don't have to pay us, and can get rid of us afterwards free of charge. If you decide to keep us on, then we shall set on a price by the terms we negotiate at such time. Do we have a deal?

(Inuyasha looks unsure for a moment, glancing from Shippo, to the demon hunters, to Kagome, and back the hunters again. He hesitates...)

Miroku (persuasively): It might be a good idea to keep us around, even if solely for the sake of protecting the Lady Kagome while you're in battle with Naraku...

(That hits a chord, considering what happened with Yura, and Inuyasha finally caves in after another moment. He sighs.)

Inuyasha (stubbornly): Alright, you have TWO WEEKS to prove yourselves, HOWEVER...

(He glares at them for effect.)

Inuyasha (snarling): ONE slip up, and you become rust on my Tetsuiga, got it?

(Miroku and Sango nod, unimpressed at his threat, and seemingly bored or tired. With that, Inuyasha turns, still snarling and cursing, and storms out of the room, leaving a slightly comical trail of water behind him. The second he's gone, Miroku drops the "good monk" act and sighs.)

Miroku (quietly): Alright Sango, you win. We really would have been better off with that damn Kouga bastard...

*~*~*~*~*

(That same night, Kagome enters Inuyasha's favourite brooding room to find him sitting by his usual window, staring out over the land. Even though she has a blanket around her for extra warmth, she still shivers against the cold wind coming through the open window. Inuyasha's ears perk at the sound, and he speaks to her without turning.)

Inuyasha (flatly): What are you doing up here? It's cold, go to bed...

(Something about the gruffness of his voice strikes Kagome as odd, but she pretends not to notice.)

Kagome (calmly): I will, soon. I just thought I'd let you know that Sango and Miroku are in the north wing, everyone else is asleep, and the kitchen is...

Inuyasha (sharply): You're my prisoner, not my servant. I don't need a report from you. Just go to bed...

(Now his attitude is just making her angry.)

Kagome: Well excuse me. I was just trying to be helpful. The least you could do... is...

(She stops as a low growling sound escapes Inuyasha. His ears turn slightly flat against his head and the tension in his body is obvious, even in the half light. Kagome involuntarily takes a step backwards, looking at him as if he has once again lost control. An ear swivels in her direction.)

Inuyasha (firmly, but quickly): It's not you.

(Kagome stops surprised. Inuyasha is quick to explain, even if his voice hasn't lost it's dangerous growl.)

Inuyasha (murderous intent): It's Naraku. His scent is everywhere...

(He goes back to growling in quiet rage and Kagome looks at him in realisation. That, however, brings up a new question, which she seems hesitant to ask.)

Kagome (cautiously): Then, are you going to go after him?

Inuyasha (angrily): Feh! Like I'm stupid enough to leave this place unguarded. For all I know, it could be another trap.

(There is a slight pause in which Inuyasha seems to calm a bit, guilt momentarily dousing the fires of rage.)

Inuyasha (murmering): Besides, everyone's too tired to fight now. It'll be better first thing in the morning.

(This seems to genuinely surprise Kagome. Inuyasha being patient? It hardly seems believable. However, she's not going to rebuke him for his concern over the others, and smiles instead.)

(Quietly she walks over to the window, where Inuyasha has resumed his angry vigil over his forest. Taking the blanket from her shoulders, she drapes it over his suddenly startled form and wraps it around him, arms lingering around his neck just a second longer than necessary.)

Kagome (caring): You should get some sleep too, Inuyasha. After all, you've done more than any of us today...

Inuyasha (Indignant): Keh! You make it sound as if I were some weakling or something... ... KEH!

(Kagome cracks a smile at his everlasting stubborn pride as she turns to head back out to the hall.)

Kagome (smiling): Sorry, my mistake. Goodnight Inuyasha...

Inuyasha: Oy, Kagome.

(She stops mid step and looks back, waiting. Inuyasha seems to hesitate before continuing on in his regular, loud tone.)

Inuyasha (annoyed facade): Why did you come back here any ways, not that I care...

(Kagome quirks an eyebrow at him, happiness being replaced by annoyance. However it's late, and it's cold, and she doesn't really feel like an argument at the moment, so after a brief pause, she crosses the rest of the room to the door before turning back.

Kagome (slightly colder): Good night, Inuyasha.

(She walks out into the hall, leaving poor Inuyasha to silently curse his ever eloquent tongue and foolhardy mouth.)

*~*~*~*~*

(The next morning as the sun rises over the forest, two swift moving beings can be seen darting among and above the trees. Kirara runs just at treetop level, Sango, Miroku and Tanuki on her back, while Kagome and Shippo have hitched a ride with Inuyasha, who is running on the ground, darting past trees and easily keeping up with Kirara. Everyone is armed with their regular weapons and Tanuki carries what looks like a first aid kit. Shippo doesn't have a weapon and looks like he's about to fall asleep on Kagome's shoulder.)

Shippo (yawning): Aww...it's so early. Why couldn't I have just stayed at the castle huh?

Inuyasha (sharply): Shut up and quit whining, or I'll throw you off and you can walk!

Kagome (reproachfully): Inuyasha, be nice, Shippo's just a kid!

Inuyasha: Keh! Since when is a hundred year old fox brat a kid?

Shippo (crying): Kaaagommmeeee! He's being mean!

Kagome (gently): There, there Shippo, I'm sure Inuyasha didn't mean that, (angrily) did you Inuyasha?

Inuyasha (indifferent): Keh! Fine! Shippo, you can sleep now, but make sure you're awake when we reach Naraku. I don't want you getting in the way during the battle...

(He steals a glance backwards at Kagome)

Inuyasha (firmly): ...that goes double for you Kagome!

Tanuki (hesitantly): Uhhh, master, if you wanted to keep Mistress Kagome safe, why didn't you just leave her at the castle?

Inuyasha: Keh! Are you stupid or something Tanuki? I can't leave her there alone, OR with those two.

Tanuki: Why not?

(Inuyasha just keeps running, he doesn't answer out loud.)

Inuyasha: Because they might just convince her to go home again...

(There is a moment of silence as everyone turns to their own thoughts. Finally Kagome seems to hit on something.)

Kagome (thoughtfully): Inuyasha, just what kind of demon is this Naraku anyway?

Inuyasha: Bah! How should I know?

Kagome (astonished): You don't know? Haven't you fought with him before?

Shippo: It's not as simple as that. He always disguises himself with this stupid monkey pelt, and he can change his shape too. Whenever we meet him, he always looks different, and does different stuff.

Kagome: Really?

Tanuki (shivers): Yeah, Naraku's scary! If you're strong, and he doesn't like you, he absorbs you in and makes you part of him. (shudder.)

Miroku: So this Naraku is a cunning bastard, isn't he?

Shippo: Really, really cunning, who knows how many times we've been caught in his traps? Like that one time at the north hill, or that other time he...

Inuyasha (suddenly): THAT'S ENOUGH!!

(Kagome suddenly looks down at him and realises he looks like he's about to snap. Every muscle in his body is tense with hatred.)

Kagome: Inuyash...

Inuyasha (cutting her off): SHHH! We're almost there!

*~*~*~*~*

(Suddenly the forest ends and Inuyasha skids to a halt on the slippery ground. Kirara lands just a few feet behind and everybody stops and gapes at the surrounding scene. It's obviously one of the places Kagura trashed during her wind storm. The trees are all on the ground, lying at odd angles, leaning all over each other. Some of them are even snapped in half.)

Kagome (whispers): What on earth?

Voice (firmly): Inuyasha.

(Everyone jumps or spins around at the voice. Behind them, sitting on a pile of smashed logs, is Naraku, wearing his classical baboon pelt and mask. As always he seems calm, his demure betraying no expression other than relaxation, his voice is smooth and confient.)

Naraku: So you have finally come...

(Inuyasha takes a snarling step forwards as he places himself between Naraku and Kagome. Miroku, Sango and Kirara fall into battle stance. Inuyasha is hunched over, ready to pounce.)

Inuyasha (spitting mad): Naraku, bastard! So you've finally come out of hiding have you? About time, I've been waiting all these years just to cut off your head!!

Naraku: Kukukuku, is that all you've been doing Inuyasha? Or has the thought of breaking my curse never crossed your mind?

Inuyasha: Asshole! Like I said, tearing you to shreds is the only thing I care about!!

Naraku: Oh? In that case...

(Suddenly Miroku senses something.)

Miroku (panic): Kagome-sama!!

(He suddenly spins around and whips his staff through a large brown tentacle which was just about to make shish-kebob out of Kagome. Inuyasha's face is still frozen in panic for her, as the ground and logs around them suddenly start to move and shift, like the coils of a giant snake. The group draws inwards, forming a tight circle.)

Sango: The-they're alive?

(Kirara growls and the others just watch the shifting masses with uneasy eyes. Suddenly Naraku laughs. They all turn their heads to him and their faces change to shock and horror. Naraku is standing now, but instead of feet, he has many large brown tentacles coming out from under his baboon skin. He basically looks like one of his remote puppets.)

Naraku (smugly): Kukukukuku. Not bad monk. Now lets see if you can handle fifty of my tentacles at once?

(On cue, fifty or so tentacles rise up all around them and begin to strike. The group fends them off as best they can, Inuyasha using his claws, Sango swinging Hiraigotsu, Miroku using his staff. They finish them off and stand there, tense, expecting another attack. They only have to wait a split second.)

(Suddenly a tentacle erupts from the ground just below Inuyasha. He barely has any time to react as the thing spears him through the left shoulder...)

Naraku: ...51...

Kagome: Inuyasha!!

Inuyasha (wincing): AASSSSHHOOLLEE!!!

(He reaches down to draw Tetsuiga but only manages to get it half way before the tentacle seems to explode. The wound is opened a great deal, though it doesn't go all the way, and a pile of white foamy stuff comes out of it and lands all over Inuyasha.)

Inuyasha (surprised): Gyaack!

Kagome (worried): INUYASHA!!

Sango (panting): Houshi-sama, it seems we're surrounded.

Miroku (smoothly): It would seem so...

(Sango and Miroku lock eyes and nod. Instantly, They break out of the circle running in opposite directions. Once they've cleared some space, Miroku stops.)

Miroku (gripping arm): KAZANNA!!

(In the same instant Sango throws her boomerang.)

Sango: HIRAIGOTSU!!

(The planned attack goes perfectly. Miroku's air void sucks one side of the circle, drawing it in, while Sango slices through the other side, so that they can't get caught by the shrinking circle. In a matter of seconds, the circle they were trapped in has diminished to nothing. Miroku seals his hand and Sango catches her boomerang. They both turn to face Naraku where he stands, now on bare ground, having somehow himself escaped the air void.)

Miroku (smugly): Now to finish him...

Inuyasha (interrupting): STOP!!

(They all stare in shock as Inuyasha steps in front of Miroku, wobbling slightly, leaning on an un-transformed Tetsuiga for support. His left shoulder is dripping blood and half of his upper body has been exposed where the poison has eaten away his shirt. Part of his skin have been eaten away as well.)

Maroku (somewhat worried): Inuyasha! You can't possibly...

Inuyasha (angrily): SHUT-UP!!

(Miroku backs off as Inuyasha picks up Tetsuiga and transforms it, standing on his own, firm resolve and hatred plain on his face.)

Inuyasha (menacingly): I told you, stupid monk...

Inuyasha: NOBODY is going to kill this bastard but ME!!!

*~*~*~*~*