InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Laughter like the Wind. ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 17

*~*~*~*~*

(A growl from Kirara brings them back to reality. Inuyasha has begun moving steadily towards them. Tanuki cringes and jumps behind Kagome, Shippo cowers on her shoulder. Kagome herself is watching Inuyasha with a stunned, pleading look, her eyes darting the distance between them, him and Tetsuiga.)

Kagome (whispers): Shippo...

(Shippo looks up from his cringing at her.)

Kagome: You guys distract Inuyasha, I'll get Tetsuiga.

Shippo (paniced): Huh? Kagome?

Tanuki (quivering): Are you insane?!

(Inuyasha suddenly breaks into a run and leaps at them. Kirara intercepts him, but Inuyasha claws her in the gut with his right fist and kicks her away, hard. When he lands again, he notices Kagome has run off to the side of the others. Inuyasha pounces at her, and she dives out of the way as he rips up snow leaves and earth at her feet.)

Kagome: Kyaaa!!

Shippo: KAGOME!!!

(He jumps in to help her.)

Shippo: BODY SPLIT!

(Before Inuyasha can attack Kagome again, he finds himself surrounded by Shippos. Swinging like a mad man he slashes them all apart, one by one, making dissatisfied grunts as they turn to smoke instead of corpses. Suddenly his right arm randomly slashes one which happens to be the real Shippo, and he goes flying, smacking a tree with his head.)

(By this time Kagome has almost made it to where the un-transformed Tetsuiga is lying. From the sidelines, Tanuki watches, horrified as Inuyasha charges Kagome at full speed.)

Tanuki (pulling out a leaf): Please don't let me die. Please don't let me die.

(A mere meter from Kagome, Inuyasha is suddenly squashed by a transformed Tanuki. Kagome jumps to avoid a similar fate, and lands directly beside Tetsuiga. She grabs the blunted blade in her arms and pulls it up in a loose hug, point sticking in the ground.)

Tanuki (Straining): Sh...Shiiit!

(Suddenly Tanuki is propelled upward by a powerful kick. He de-transforms and hits the ground with a thud not too far away, groaning. Kagome watches him, horrified.)

Kagome: Tanuki!...eek!!

(Now, nothing stands between Inuyasha and Kagome as she kneels on the ground, still holding Tetsuiga. Inuyasha stands up, shoulders hunched, body strung tight with the desire to kill and shred living flesh. Kagome tries to shuffle away.)

Kagome (terrified): Inuyasha...please...don't...

(In the blink of an eye he closes the gap between them. Before she knows what's happening, Inuyasha is kneeling before her, gripping Kagome's shoulder with his right hand and holding Tetsuiga in his left, the tip of the sword tracing the straining muscles of her neck. Kagome cringes, rigid with fear. She shuts her eyes, awaiting the final blow.)

Kagome: INUYASHA!!!

(Nothing happens.)

(After a moment, she risks a peek out of one eye, then blinks.)

(She stares into a wide pair of golden eyes, electric with confusion, shock and terror. Inuyasha and Kagome stare at each other a moment, unmoving, his face twisting into a look of disgust and horror. Kagome feels something in her chest wrench at the sight of it, but she is also relieved.)

(A/N: Pic of Inuyasha "waking up" on homepage.)

Kagome (hesitantly): Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha pushes away from her, half leaping, half falling onto his backside, clutching Tetsuiga in his left hand, breathing raggedly. He looks desperately from Kagome, to Tanuki, to Shippo to Kirara, pale faced and sickly with the cold grip of fear in his stomach.)

(Shippo's foot suddenly twitches, Tanuki groans and sits up while Kirara rolls onto her side. Inuyasha's face is washed momentarily by relief, but it doesn't last longer than a second before it is replaced by heavy guilt.)

Kagome (gently): Inuyasha...

(She stares at him with gentle, caring eyes. Inuyasha's heart catches in his throat as he scrambles away from her another meter. He stares at the ground a moment, refusing to make eye contact with Kagome, who is watching him full of concern.)

(Unsteadily he gets to his feet, staggering like a sleepwalker. Inuyasha winces in pain as he guides Tetsuiga back into it's scabbard, using mostly his left arm. Then, still sleepwalking, he turns and wanders off, not looking back.)

Kagome: Inuyasha!

(She gets up to run after him as he reaches the edge of the clearing. Inuyasha suddenly stops and stiffens, yelling to her without looking back.)

Inuyasha (angrily): STAY AWAY!

(From behind we see his hand tense at his side, and he looks once again like the demon of a few seconds ago. Kagome stops, uncertain and maybe even afraid of him. Then, Inuyasha's shoulders sag in a pained sigh, as one spiritually exhausted, or tired of living.)

Inuyasha (softly): Please... just, leave me alone...

(Kagome watches him go, her face constricted in pain and worry for him. Suddenly, Myouga leaps up onto her shoulder.)

Myouga (sadly): Poor Lord Inuyasha...Hmmmmm, It's probably best leave him to himself for a while. He needs time to repair his soul...

(Kagome nods silently as she watches Inuyasha's lonely sleepwalking figure disappear into the woods.)

*~*~*~*~*

(In the meantime, Kagura has landed her feather, and sits with her back against a tree, clutching her chest, breathing raggedly. The area she is in looks gloomy and wet, like a swamp. Frost coated moss growing thick on the rotting trees and a mist of steam seeping up from the muddy, decaying earth. Suddenly a rustling sound is heard, breaking the silence. Kagura gasps and looks up as Naraku enters.)

Naraku (darkly): Oh Kagura, what are you doing here?

(Kagura looks at him with murder in her eyes, and struggles to bring herself to her feet.)

Kagura (gasping for air): Naraku!...You...you!

Naraku (unamused): I take this to mean that you failed to secure Inuyasha's sword?

Kagura (finally standing): Bastard! You never said anything about ... Tetsuiga sealing Inuyasha's mind!

Naraku (feigning innocence): What? Oh that...must have slipped my mind... Oh well, either way, it seems you won't live long enough to do anything about it. Look at you. It's taking everything you have just to stand.

(Kagura suddenly looks up at him and smiles defiantly.)

Kagura (Menacingly): ... That's what you think. Asshole!

(The wind starts to blow the stagnant air of the swamp around. Kagura, doubled over, makes a swish of her fan, still smiling. A huge tornado erupts from it and begins tearing up the dense canopy around them. Trees, bushes, everything, get sucked up and spins around in the air above. Naraku somehow manages to keep his footing, and Kagura clutches the tree, awaiting her death.

Kagura (weakly): ...Now...there will be no place...for you...to hide...

(She is sucked up into the tornado and disappears, never to be seen again. Naraku stands there, as the wind threatens to shred the baboon skin from his body. It holds however, and a few seconds later the tornado stops. Trees, leaves and all the other debris plummet to the ground and hit the soft, wet earth with loud smacks and crashes. After a moment, all that is left of the Great Black Swamp is a mess of kindling, tree trunks and mud. A fresh breeze blows freely through the now empty sky, and the late afternoon sunshine spills on Naraku in his raged baboon cloak. Any smell that was once there has now been cleaned out, and will continue to be cleaned out meaning that Naraku can no longer hide his scent in that rotting marshland.)

Naraku: ...Shit.

*~*~*~*~*

(Meanwhile, Inuyasha is sitting curled up on a high limb of a naked tree, observing his right arm. There is a red cut all the way around it, just above the wrist, and he is holding it up gently with his left hand. His face shows concern, guilt as well as spiritual and physical pain.)

Inuyasha (grimacing): Fuck it hurts! That bitch cut me right down to the bone. Even the tendons are...

(He gingerly tries to move his hand and is rewarded with a spasm of pain. He grasps his arm around the wound and squeezes tightly, shutting his eyes and grinding his teeth to keep from crying out. He doesn't succeed and a string of choked curses escape his lips.)

Inuyasha (struggling): Damn Shit Fuck Shit Damn Shit Urk!!

(After a time he releases his death grip on his arm and opens his eyes. For a moment, he just regards the wound forlornly, watching fresh blood trickle down to his elbow. Then he gently takes it and rests it against his stomach, cradling his injured right arm protectively with his left. He leans back and rests his head against the tree, looking up at the blue sky.)

Inuyasha (sadly): ... it's a good thing that I couldn't use my right hand though. If I had been able to do that...then...I probably would have...

(He shudders involuntarily as the thought brings images into his head of his friends as torn and bloody corpses on the ground. The last one is of Kagome, and his heart contracts painfully as he remembers the terror on her face just as he came to himself.)

Inuyasha (loving): ... ...Kagome ...

(He closes his eyes in pain again, this time it isn't physical though. His heart wrenches as he thinks...)

Inuyasha (empty): I can't ask her to come back now. Not ever, especially after what happened...

Inuyasha (getting angry): What am I thinking. Of course I can't ask her to come back! She doesn't want to be here. She doesn't want to see me. Why should she? I'm a fucking demon aren't I? No, there's no way she could ever...

Kagome: Inuyasha?

(He suddenly starts out of his thoughts and looks down, stunned to see Kagome at the base of the tree.)

Kagome (smiling kindly): Inuyasha, will you come down here for a moment?

(Inuyasha stares at her, stunned stupid, then slightly afraid. Maybe she's here to tell him goodbye? He doesn't want to hear that. Instead, after a slight pause, he simply turns his back to her.)

(From the ground, Kagome watches him and sighs at his stubbornness, but her face remains resolute.)

Kagome (stubbornly): Alright Inuyasha. If you won't come down, then I'm coming up to you. Just wait there.

(Inuyasha peeks behind at her as she grasps the lower branches of the tree and starts to pull herself up. After a moment, he grits his teeth and stands up. Kagome stops climbing as he descends in a single bound and a flap of clothing. Inuyasha settles himself into a seated position with his legs crossed and an annoyed look on his face, arm cradled in his lap. Eyes closed, he waits for her to come to him. She does, holding something hidden in both her hands.)

Kagome (proudly): Good, I was hoping you'd come down.

(She settles herself directly beside Inuyasha, leaning into him. Her closeness seems to affect Inuyasha, but as usual, he hides his feelings under a mask of indifference.)

Inuyasha (annoyed): Keh! What do you want, bitch?

(Kagome seems taken aback by his attitude.)

Kagome (hesitantly): I just wanted to have a look at your wounds. Especially your right arm...

Inuyasha: Don't need it. Just leave me alone!

(Out of habit, he makes to cross his arms over his chest, forgetting about his wounded arm. A second later, his whole body bristles in pain, eyes and jaw clenched as he tries to conceal it. Kagome, of course, notices right away and looks on in concern.)

Inuyasha (in pain): ...urk...

Kagome (quietly): Inuyasha...

(He relaxes after a minute and looks down at his right arm resting limply on his left. Kagome seizes the opportunity to reach in with both arms and gingerly pull it out towards her. She settles the wounded arm into her own, cradling it gently with her left arm as her right reaches for something at her side. Inuyasha just sits there, stiff with surprise, unwilling to fight her, and even more so to look her in the face. Kagome tries to calm him by talking to him.)

Kagome (gently): See? I'm right aren't I. The wound's so deep you can't even move your hand can you?

(She waits for a response, but Inuyasha's face is unreadable and his eyes are distant, staring at the ground. She sighs and continues talking to herself.)

Kagome (grimacing): It certainly looks painful enough. However, I think I have just the thing.

(She rubs something on his arm and instantly the fiery throb of pain vanishes. Inuyasha is so startled that he looks over at the wound to see what's happened.)

Kagome (happily): I'm glad I asked grandma for a bit of her Numbleaf paste before I left. It'll certainly be useful here.

(Another shocker. Inuyasha stares at Kagome wide eyed as she continues bandaging his arm. After a moment, he manages to find his voice.)

Inuyasha (hesitantly): Y...You brought that...from your home?

(Kagome nods quickly, oblivious to his stuttering tone.)

Kagome (energetically): Mnhm. I brought lots of stuff. Flour, cheese, sugar, oh and chocolate! Wait until you try that! It's really great, kind of like carob, or hazelnuts, but better!

(She finished with Inuyasha's arm, tying the bandage in a quick sling around his neck. Then she gets up to leave, giving him a quick smile as he stares at her dumbly.)

Kagome: I'm going back to the castle with Kirara and the others, so come back soon okay? After all, I don't know how long I'll be able to keep them out of my pack.

(She flashes him another smile before setting off at a light jog, headed for the clearing the others are in. As Inuyasha watches her, still in utter and total shock, one thought streaks across his mind...)

Inuyasha (stunned): She came back...by herself... ...Kagome came back...

(Her figure disappears into the forest and Inuyasha is left alone with his confused and, (this is rare) hopeful, thoughts.)

(A/N: Another pic of this on homepage.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Later that night, everything at the castle seems to have returned to near normality.)

(Inuyasha lets his fork and knife drop to the side of his dish with a clatter, and slumps back in his chair with a contented burp and faint smile. One hand rests on his stomach, which is visibly bloated as Kagome stares at him in wide eyed amazement.)

Kagome (astounded): Inuyasha...you actually ate all that? I don't believe it, you must have been starved!

Inuyasha (smiling contentedly): Feh! I just thought I'd better stock up. Hey Tanuki! That was the best food I've eaten in ages!

(A wide pan of the table shows that everyone around it is equally plump and contented, and looking rather dozy... It's no wonder they've eaten a lot, Tanuki has managed a true feast out of the left-over meat and the food Kagome brought with her. Empty dishes lay strewn across the polished table.)

Tanuki (sleepily): *Burp* ...Thank you...Master Inuyasha...

(Shippo yawns tiredly as Kagome starts to gather up the plates. Tanuki makes a move to help her but Kagome simply pushes the tired racoon-dog back into his chair.)

Kagome (kindly): It's alright Tanuki, you've done enough for today, I'll get this.

Tanuki (drifting off): Thank you....Mistress...Ka...go... ... zzz

(His head rolls onto his shoulder and Kagome giggles as she watches them. All the others appear to have fallen asleep too, each with happy looks on their faces, accept Inuyasha, who remains alert, but has his eyes closed.)

(Kagome walks into the kitchen, plates and bowl balanced in her hands, but she's not overloaded. She gently set them down on the counter and turns to go back for the rest when who should appear in the door but Inuyasha of all people, carrying a pile of plates. Surprised, Kagome stares at him just long enough to make him feel uncomfortable.)

Inuyasha (flatly): That's all, there's no more out there.

(Kagome shakes herself out of her stupor and nods, a pleasant smile creeping across her face as Inuyasha sets the dishes down on the table. When he looks up again, Kagome is already filling the sinks with hot water (using a kettle, they don't have taps.) He watches her expressionlessly, feeling rather useless in a kitchen. Then Kagome empties the kettle and speaks to him, still facing the sink.)

Kagome (naturally): Hmmm, Inuyasha, I don't think this will be enough, do you think you could boil some more hot water for me?

(Inuyasha just kinda nods obligingly, using the pump to fill the kettle and then placing it over the fire. He stokes the flame a bit, in silence, before going back to stand behind Kagome's shoulder, apparently waiting for further instructions. Kagome flicks a suspicious look at him before asking again...)

Kagome (cautiously): Inuyasha...do you want to dry?

(She points to a towel on the dry rack, already half full of dishes. With an unseen nod he quietly steps up beside her to assume his duty. Kagome knows something's not right now, and stops her scrubbing to stare at him. Inuyasha darts nervous glances at her out of his deep yellow eyes as she reaches her hand up to his forehead.)

Kagome (concerned): Inuyasha...are you feeling alright?

(Inuyasha freezes mid-dish and turns to her, confused. Then a slightly annoyed look spreads across his face, after all, he's just trying to be nice. It's not impossible...is it?)

Inuyasha (gruffly): I'm fine.

(Kagome abruptly pulls her hand away, shocked but none the less well assured that he is as he says. They continue to dry in silence for a while, each flicking nervous glances at the other, but never at the same time. Suddenly, Kagome comes across an especially stubborn pot, and in her furry of scrubbing, manages to splash some water at Inuyasha.)

Inuyasha (indignant): HEY!!

(He jumps back a foot, but gets water all down the front of his shirt any ways. Kagome stops, her scrubbing and looks back apologetically.)

Kagome (quickly): Oops! Sorry!

(Even as she speaks however, a slight smile plays on her lips. Inuyasha instantly notices this and glares at her.)

Inuyasha (angrily): Witch! You did that on purpose!

Kagome (defensively): No! No, it was an accident, and I apologised.

(She instantly turns back to her work to hide the mirthful smile on her face. Inuyasha comes back beside her and continues drying in a foul mood. This time, his eyes catch a glimpse of the rinse water at his side. Just when Kagome seems the most occupied with her work, he splashes it at her. She shrieks in surprise, dropping the pot into the water. Meanwhile, Inuyasha feigns innocence, pretending to be deeply absorbed in his drying. Kagome glares at him.)

Kagome (angrily): Inuyasha!! What was that for?!

(Inuyasha looks over at her, disinterested. He shrugs, and then goes back to his drying. Kagome grits her teeth and turns back to her work, while a smug grin that slinks across Inuyasha's face. Of course, you realise, this means war...)

(Kagome plops a big pot into the wash basin, sending water out everywhere, but mostly over Inuyasha. He grits his teeth and seethes before retrieving the pot swiftly, spraying more H2O on Kagome. She flinches a bit, but doubles her resolve. Sneakily, she takes a cup in her hand, full of water, and dumps it over Inuyasha's head. He freezes in surprise before turning to Kagome. She smirks confidently at him, eyes laughing as his ears twitch, flicking water every which way. Not to be beaten, Inuyasha takes up the challenge with an equally evil half-smile and lunges for the rinse basin. Kagome's eyes go wide in horror as he hefts the big metal bin above his head. She shrieks and tries to run but it's too late.)

(Within seconds Inuyasha sends a shower of water over Kagome, dousing her, the floor, the counter, and a lot of his already wet self. Kagome screams and puts her hands in the air in feeble defence, but is instantly soaked from head to toe. Once it's over, Inuyasha places the tub back on the counter and grins a smug smile full of pride and victory, his eyes laughing as Kagome gives him a death glare.)

Kagome (angrily): Inuyasha...You...YOU!!!

(Suddenly, Inuyasha bursts into laughter, holding his stomach and pointing. Kagome stops, surprised. She's never seen him laugh before, and for a moment, it puzzles her... But then, he shouldn't be laughing at HER. With an angry huff, she spins around to stomp out of the room. However, the stone floor had been made slick with water, and her feet slide out sideways from under her and she ends up sitting abruptly with her butt on the floor.)

(This just doubles Inuyasha's victorious mirth, and he now needs both his hands to hold his sides, his eyes squeezing out tears and his chest heaving for breath. Kagome of course, doesn't think this is funny, and lets him know by turning her back on him, folding her arms over her chest, and giving him a big, angry "Humph!" This also serves to hide her own smile.)

(Eventually, Inuyasha manages to get a hold of himself and he trudges out in front of Kagome. Sopping wet, he reaches down a hand to help her up. Eventually, Kagome accepts, but before he can get her all the way up, a malicious smirk flashes on her face and she yanks him downwards. Surprised, Inuyasha's own feet slip out from under him and he lands on his butt, hard. Now it's Kagome's turn to laugh, pointing and all. Inuyasha smirks and swipes his hand across the floor, creating a shower over a shrieking Kagome. He then yips and falls back playfully as Kagome returns the favour. This is the start of a full fledged water fight.)

(From the door, the others are watching the scene in slight awe. Tanuki hangs his head.)

Tanuki (depressed): Oh no! My poor kitchen. My poor kitchen...

Shippo (hissing): Shut-up Tanuki, they'll here you!

Myouga (thoughtfull): Hmmm. I don't think I can recall the last time I saw Lord Inuyasha laugh like that...

Kirara (with a nodd): Mew!

(A noise makes her turn around and look behind her. Suddenly, her eyes go wide with shock as she yells a warning mew. This becomes a full fledged roar as she jumps off Shippo's back and takes up a defensive stance between the others and the hall. The others suddenly turn around in surprise and then there eyes also go wide with shock and fear.)

(Standing in the door at the far end of the hall are two figures. One dressed in dark robes, holding a staff, and the other in a tight suit of armour, carrying a large boomerang on her back...)

*~*~*~*~*