InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ Under Attack ( Chapter 20 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 20

A/N: For the record, I discovered the name of Kouga's two wolfs tribesmen. The one with the spiky hair is called Hagguku, and the one with multicoloured hair is Ginta. I got the names off of a fan subbed episode so I could be wrong, but just go with the flow. Same as before, they follow Kouga, but like Kouga, they're also human.

PS. I know Naraku was rather OOC in the last chapter, and had a different body, but since nobody knows yet how the series will end, I had to make stuff up, and I don't think it's so bad that anybody needs to flame me, so...

*~*~*~*~*

(It's several days later, and dinner has brought an unexpected change to the castle. Inuyasha still sits in his regal high backed chair like normal, but he's up straight this time, trying his best to look a little more regal. The reason is obvious as everyone has gathered around, including many new faces which haven't been seen before. There's Toutosai, Ginenji, his mother {called in here, the mountain witch Yamanba}, some strange looking imp people, three demon monkeys, some giant insects, lizards, and just about every other minor demon in the series. Some are helping Tanuki with the finishing touches of the meal while others are already eating or passing food around and so forth. The whole atmosphere has completely changed from one of dreary silence to one of pleasant bustling and munching. Tanuki is beaming happiness as he personally serves Kagome.)

Kagome (politely): Thank you, Tanuki-san!

Tanuki (humbly): You're very welcome, Mistress Kagome.

(He turns to Inuyasha who is sitting on Kagome's right to serve him as well. Kagome gives Inuyasha a glare when he doesn't say anything to Tanuki. Inuyasha notices and grunts.)

Inuyasha: ...Thanks.

(Tanuki is very pleased/amazed at the response and starts bowing and everything. Inuyasha rolls his eyes.)

Inuyasha: Tanuki, there are other people waiting...

Tanuki: Yes Master. Of course Master. Right away ... ... ...You're very welcome Master...

Inuyasha (half hearted): Keh!

(He doesn't really look angry though, maybe he's just nervous. Kagome looks around the table at everyone. Toutosai is flaming his food to char, and Ginenji has given up his chopsticks in favor of a serving spoon and a whole serving bowl of rice, but he's still eating politely as possible under his mother's watchful eye. The imps and the monkeys have started a minor food fight while Shippo rolls his eyes at the "kids" and leans back comfortably on his stack of books. Sango and Miroku are sitting on opposite sides of the table, one not trusting the other's hands while she eats, and Kirara is simply munching contentedly on the table, keeping low to the wood to avoid getting hit by the stray food as it flies overhead. Anything but a regular dinner.)

Kagome (smiling): Looks like everyone has come back again, doesn't it Inuyasha?

Inuyasha: Keh! This isn't even half of everyone. What's taking those other slowpokes? Surely they know by now that Naraku's dead.

Kagome: Oh?

(Shippo looks up speculatively, maybe even encouragingly at Inuyasha.)

Shippo: They just got cold feet, but don't worry, they'll be back. Now that all the bad guys are gone, there's nothing to worry about. No one's stupid enough to attack a castle full of demons...

Miroku (almost under his breath): I beg to differ on that...

(Even though he says it casually, the second it leaves his lips everyone within hearing distance has locked their eyes on Miroku. Luckily though, this only includes the immediate group. The monkeys are too busy pelting food. Tanuki looks up from serving Miroku.)

Tanuki (slightly jumpy): What do you mean Master Miroku?

(Miroku raises an eyebrow as he gazes around the table, confused...)

Miroku (warily): Kagome-sama, did you not tell them of Kouga's plan to invade the forest?

(Eyes shoot over to Kagome, who after a moment starts twisting her skirt and looking rather nervous. Inuyasha seems stunned.)

Kagome (hesitantly): Well, er...um...

Kagome (defensively): I didn't think he was serious about it! You don't mean to tell me he's actually still thinking about that?

(Sango and Miroku nod slowly, darting nervous glances over to Inuyasha who is in total denial. As a final surprise, Shippo steps in at the worst possible time...)

Shippo (thoughtfully): Kouga...Kouga...Ah now I remember! He's the one that was going to marry Kagommfffh!

(Miroku makes a dive for the little kitsune but it's too late. Kagome has gone beet red in the time it took Inuyasha's jaw to hit the floor. All of the group's eyes are on Inuyasha and Kagome while the food fight rages on unchecked behind them. Inuyasha stares at her, horror creeping slowly up onto his expression of disbelief. Kagome fidgets with her skirt.)

Kagome (stuttering): Th-that's not true! He only says that! I never agreed to anything!!

(Miroku sighs. Might as well get it all out in the open.)

Miroku: Either way, that thick headed idiot still thinks that you're his woman, and since you've been here, he's only become more motivated to do it. Especially since you told him you couldn't marry him because you were...no longer pure...

(Kagome's eyes bug out of her head in horror and embarrassment. For a moment, her mouth moves and nothing comes out of it, then she gets angry.)

Kagome (roaring): H-HE MADE THAT UP!! IT'S A LIE!! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL!! WHY WOULD I EVER...

(All action in the dining room stops at her yelling. None of the group notice this, Kagome is oblivious.)

Kagome: THAT STUPID, BIG MOUTHED, FLEA BRAINED...

Mgouga: hey!

Sango: But Kouga believed it. By now he's practically ready to attack at any time, he was just putting the finishing touches on his army when we left...

Kagome (desperate): But I didn't, I never said anything...I don't...

(She stops as her eyes lock on Inuyasha. He looks as if he's about to loose his dinner, betrayal written all over his face. He works his lips slowly, but for a moment, no sound comes out. He looks at his lap, unable to meet her gaze.)

Inuyasha (quietly): ... Kagome... what were you doing in my forest?

Kagome (confused): Inu...yasha?

Inuyasha (threatening): What were you doing in my forest Kagome? The day I found you, why were you there?

(Kagome looks like a deer caught in headlights for a moment, unable to speak...)

Kagome: ... I ...we... we were ... scouting the forest ... to see ...

Inuyasha (shouting): WHY?

(Kagome flinches, and then looks down defeated...)

Kagome (flatly): We wanted know the best way to attack the castle from...

(Gasps from the room. Inuyasha quickly gets up and starts to leave...)

Kagome (looking up again): But I didn't know you then! Inuyasha...! I could never...!!

Inuyasha (roaring): SHUT-UP!!

(He's stopped walking.)

Kagome (yelling): NO! You have to listen Inuyasha! The only reason I didn't tell you about Kouga was because I thought you would kill him...

(Inuyasha whirls around.)

Inuyasha (spitting): Why? Because I'm a DEMON! Is that it? Bitch! It's okay for HIM to try and kill me because I'm a monster?

Kagome (defensively): NO! I didn't mean that, I just didn't want...

Inuaysha (enraged): Then WHAT Kagome? You just didn't want your to see your boyfriend get what he deserves so you came here to spy on me! To distract me, so I couldn't see what he was planning! Isn't that it?

Kagome (getting desperate): NO! I barely even LIKE him, and I haven't done anything to help him with his so called PLAN! I just...

Inuyasha (Interrupting): THEN WHY DID YOU COME BACK??

(Even though his baggy shirt, you can see the muscles in his body clenching. He's wired up like a guitar string about to snap. Kagome watches him, her mouth working, trying to find an answer. However, for some reason, the only thing that comes out is...)

Kagome (pleading): Inuyasha...

(Her lack of an answer seems to confirm his worst fears. Inuyasha breaks, but instead of a violent snap, there's only a pause, followed by a small, defeated, sigh as pain and sadness consume his soul once more.)

Inuyasha (shakily): Kagome, why did you come back here?

(He says it almost to himself, his voice whimsical, as if he wishes she hadn't come back and given him that hope. Slowly, he walks away, disappearing down the dark corridors of the castle.)

(Kagome stands there, watching him as he goes. Her mouth moves helplessly on the words that are just at the tip of her tongue, but she can't say them. Tears rolling down her face, she turns and runs out of the hall in the opposite direction, sobbing. Behind her, the dinner hall is, now so silent you could hear a pin drop.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Outside in the forest, shadows are moving in the shadows, slipping forwards in a surreal wave of darkness. Suddenly the silence is shattered by a crack, followed by a yelp. Further inspection reveals Ginta, one of the former wolf tribesman, sitting on the ground rubbing his shin where he tripped over a dead branch. Hagguku kneels beside him.)

Ginta (whiny): Oww! Kouga, are you sure attacking at night is the best way?

Hagguku: Yeah, and I thought demons were afraid of the light...

Kouga (sharply): SHHHH!! Do you want them to hear us? Moron!

(He bops Ginta on the head with the butt of his gun and marches forward, determined.)

Kouga: Now hurry up! I don't want to leave you guys behind in this damned forest!

Kouga (grimly): Kagome! Wait for me, I'm coming...

*~*~*~*~*

(Meanwhile in the castle, we see the familiar scene of Inuyasha, propped once again against his windowsill, utterly depressed. Eyes glassed over, he looks like an over-sized rag doll, abandoned and forgotten by the world. His only company is a flea, who jumps up and down tirelessly on his leg, screaming at the top of his lungs.)

Myouga (desperately): Lord Inuyasha, I'm sure this is all a miss understanding! Lady Kagome would never betray you! Please, you must go talk to her. Lord Inuyasha! Lord Inuyasha? Hey! Are you listening to...

(Inuyasha swats him out the window.)

Myouga (falling): ...meeeeeeeee....

(His voice fades into nothing. Inuyasha just sighs, neither in comfort or relief.)

Inuyasha (sadly): Kagome....

(Behind him, footsteps and jingling are heard just seconds before the door bursts open to reveal Miroku. His face is slightly frantic, and a little tired from sprinting. The reason for this is soon made obvious.)

Miroku (urgently): Inuyasha, Kirara says she just saw Kouga's army. They'll be here in less than an hour. You have to fight them...

(No reaction from Inuyasha, except maybe some shifting hair as it gets blown by the wind. Miroku takes a step forwards.)

Miroku (yelling): Inuyasha! This is no time to sulk! You're people will be killed if you don't get down there and-

Inuyasha (silencing him): SHUT UP!!

(Miroku stops, waiting for him to get up, say something, show some further sign of life. When there is none he moves forwards to smack him on the head with his staff.)

Miroku (angry): HEY!! Snap out of...!

(Quick as a flash, Inuyasha's hand reaches back and catches the staff before it can touch him. With one hard yank he pulls it from Miroku's grasp and tosses it out the window. (Where it lands in Myouga a few seconds later.) Luckily, Miroku stops before he too meets a similar fate. A moment later, Inuaysha speaks, his voice and words so empty they seem to stun Miroku.)

Inuyasha (quietly): ...die now...or be cursed forever...what's the difference...

(He huffs a sigh)

(Slowly, Miroku's astonishment slips into a look of pure disgust, before turning and stomping away.)

Miroku (angrily): Fine! Just DAMN fine! Fuck you Inuyasha! You know what? You don't deserve her!

(He storms away without looking back, slamming the door as he leaves.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Meanwhile, down stairs all the demons have gathered in the grand foyer and are getting a briefing from Sango, with Kirara at her side. She is standing on the balcony, where everyone can see them.

Sango: ...So remember, at all costs avoid standing in front of their weapons. Move around, zig-zag, and do not attack in large groups. Those of you that can, take to the sky and attack from behind once the battle starts. They won't be expecting that kind of organisation.

(Miroku and Tanuki appear behind her and, seeing the look on his face, cuts her speech there, letting Kirara take over. Kirara jumps up onto the balcony railing as starts talking, while Sango walks over to Miroku expectantly.)

Sango: Well?

(Miroku shakes is head, still disgusted, but also slightly pitying.)

Miroku: We'll get no help out of that bastard. He's completely given up...

(He slumps his shoulders sadly, while Tanuki looks like he's about to cry again.)

Tanuki (pitying): Poor Master Inuyasha... (sniff)... we'll never break the curse now... ohh...

(He starts weeping while Miroku and Sango look at him, confused.)

Miroku (calmly): What do you mean "break the curse." Is there a way?

(Tanuki nodds.)

Tanuki (still crying): The princess...long ago...she said that the only way for Inuyasha to break his curse... was to find someone he loved...and who loved him back... he always thought it was hopeless... and then Kagome came along... and now...now...booohooohoo!!

(He grabs onto Miroku's robes and sobs into them. Miroku and Sango look at each other as Tanuki's words sink in. Just then Shippo comes running up, looking sad.)

Sango: Shippo-chan, how's Kagome-chan?

(Shippo shakes his head.)

Shippo (sadly): She won't even talk to me... I, I don't know what to do...she just stays on her bed crying... Tanuki!!

(He jumps into Tanuki's arms and they both start crying together. Sango and Miroku look from the weepy pair, to where the demons are getting ready for battle. They're also looking rather depressed, the fight at the dinner table has rid them of the hope that they would soon be human again.)

Miroku (whispers): We have to get those two back together, and soon.

(Sango nods in reply.)

*~*~*~*~*

(Some time later, Kouga's army has reached the front gate of the castle, and is ready to enter the main courtyard. Kouga seems surprised to find it deserted, and looks around warily. They enter through the parts where the walls have crumbled due to that fight with Goshinki. Kouga sends some of his men onto the walls, so they will have a clear shot into the courtyard. The others set up tight firing lines within the walls of the courtyard, however it's a tight fit with everybody, and half the men have to stay outside. Kouga frowns, he doesn't like the idea of having to split up. Still, the castle seems deserted, no reaction from inside.)

(Once the men have set up, each armed with a rifle and sword, Kouga makes his way to the front of the castle. He stops at the steps, Ginta and Hagguku at his side.)

Kouga (shouting): INUYASHA!! DEMON BASTARD, COME OUT SO I CAN KILL YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO MY KAGOME!!

(No answer.)

Kouga: WHAT'S THE MATTER, YOU DOG'S SHIT?!! AFRAID?!! GIVE ME BACK MY WOMAN!! IF SHE'S UNHURT, I MIGHT JUST MAKE IT QUICK FOR YOU!!!

Kouga (quietly): Yeah right...

(Another tense silence, Kouga's men are starting to wonder if this is a waste of time. Maybe the castle really is deserted? When Kouga hears the whispers going around, he grits his teeth. He's starting to look like a fool, and he doesn't like that. He raises his hand for silence.)

Kouga (shouting): INUYASHA! IF YOU WON'T SHOW YOURSELF! THEN WE'LL COME TO YOU!!

(A small pause...)

Kouga: CHARGE!!

Voice: S-STOP!!

(Everyone stops and looks up to see a figure standing on one of the decorative statues, on the roof above the entrance. It's Tanuki like you've never seen him before. He's dressed in a cheesy regal cape with a tacky, over elaborate crown on his head. A white mop makes for improvised silver hair. He's sweating profusely, but nobody can see that from below. Rather, they're too busy looking at the person in he's holding, threateningly close to the edge of the roof.)

Kouga (disbelieving): KA..KAGOME!!

(A quick view from behind reveals that the tied and gagged Kagome has a tail and is in fact, Shippo. He mutters something into the gag and feigns resistance.)

Tanuki (trying to sound brave): i-I AM MASTER INUYASHA, l-l-LORD OF ALL THESE LANDS. P-PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS O-OR THE GIRL DIES!!

(Just for effect Shippo lets out a screaming sound behind his gag. In the main entrance of the castle, Miroku listens against the door as a large number of demons, all armed with clubs, stand waiting. Kouga blanches, not knowing what to do. His men eye him, awaiting his instructions. )

Kouga: ... ...

(Shippo pretends to struggle. The fake gag comes loose and he yells in Kagome's voice...)

Shippo/Kagome (overly desperate): Kouga!!

(The reaction is instant.)

Kouga: Kagome...

(A few seconds later...)

Kouga (defeated): Do what he says...

(A whisper goes up among the crowd of men, but slowly, they all set down their guns. This seems to give Tanuki confidence...)

Tanuki (more assured): NOW LEAVE, AND NEVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN!!!

(Kouga hesitates again, but at a little encouragement from Tanuki and Shippo he caves.)

Kouga (frustrated): Alright, ALRIGHT!!!

Kouga (to his men): MOVE OUT!!

(There are some whispers of protest from the men, but Kouga won't be questioned.)

Kouga (angrily): I SAID MOVE OUT!!!

(At his persistence the army starts to walk out, some grudgingly, none more so that Kouga. He seems to take as much time as possible, dragging his feet, looking back every few seconds. Meanwhile, up top, Tanuki is trying not to beam with pride at his wonderful acting skills. He turns to Shippo to give him a quick wink. That turns out to be a fatal mistake...)

(Quick as a flash, Kouga picks up one of the loaded rifles and levels it at Tanuki. Almost the same instant the shot is heard an unseen bullet throws Tanuki backwards off his statue and onto the flat space behind it. He draggs Shippo with him.)

Kouga (to his men): WHERE ARE YOU GOING!! ATTACK!! ATTACK!!

(Inside, Miroku frowns and steps back from the door.)

Miroku (muttering): Shit...

Miroku (Aloud): Alright everyone!! Avoid killing the stupid bastards if you can...

(The doors are flung open)

Miroku: CHARGE!!

*~*~*~*~*