InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Beauty and the Beast, Inuyasha Style!! ❯ The End ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 22

*~*~*~*~*

*BANG*

*POW*

Kagome (slightly fearful): Inuyasha?!

(She jerks her head off the ground and looks up. She sees Inuyasha in the position of having just thrown an uppercut, and catches a last glimpse of Kouga as he goes flying over the garden wall and into the woods, never to be seen again in this series.)

(A/N: Whether he is dead or alive is your choice...)

(Kagome sighs in relief and turns to smile at Inuyasha, but is stopped short, her smile slipping off her face bit by bit into the most anguished look of worry and terror. Inuyasha turns around, slowly, swaying more and more with each slight movement of his feet. The reason is soon made obvious as blood flies out of his chest, soaking him in only a matter or seconds. A gaping hole has been made directly through the spot his heart once was. Inuyasha only casts Kagome a helpless, apologetic look, before he topples backwards, falling boneless to the ground.)

Kagome: INUYASHA!!!

(She screams at the top of her lungs, her cry breaking the others from their denying stupor. They run to him, Kagome in the lead. She slows her pace as she reaches him, tears already in her eyes. Inuyasha's eyes are still open, but one look at the wound and anyone can see that his death is certain. The bullet was fired at point blank.)

All: INUYASHA!!

(Realising this, Kagome drops to her knees, tears falling quickly from her eyes. Her face is near denial, pleading, begging for some kind of miracle as the others gather around. They keep a bit of distance, respecting Kagome's right to one last moment with Inuyasha. It won't last long. Only Shippo tries to break through. He's stopped by Tanuki, who hugs him like a living teddy bear in his good arm as they cry together.)

Kagome (desperately choking): Inuyasha! Inuyasha!

(Kagome reaches down and grasps Inuyasha's hand. His glassy eyes clear a bit as he attempts to look up at her. Kagome makes it easier for him by moving closer, still gripping his hand tightly in both of hers. He watches as silver tears roll off her cheeks and onto his chest. She's trying not to sob.)

Inuyasha (quietly): ...Ka...Kagome?

(His voice is hoarse at first. He forces some strength into it.)

Inuyasha (gently): wh...Why are you crying?

(As he says this, he reaches his hand up to caress her cheek with his thumb, wiping away tears, only to have them replaced by others, in an endless salty flood. She cups his hand to her cheek desperately as he tries to flash her his usual confident smirk. That's too much for her, seeing him smile for the last time...she collapses on him, burying her face in his neck and shoulder, snaking her arms around his neck, gently cradling his head. She sobs quietly into his shoulder as a slightly distressed look crosses Inuyasha's face. He doesn't want her to cry. He tries to get her attention...)

Inuyasha (softly): ...Kagome?...

(After a small pause, Kagome whispers words into his neck)

Kagome: ...because I love you.

(She blurts it out so suddenly, her hoarse voice cracked between her breathy sobs, that Inuyasha isn't quite sure he heard her right. He whispers in awe,)

Inuyasha: Wh...what did you say?

(Kagome pulls herself off of him just enough to look in his eyes. He's scanning her face desperately, looking for any sign, any hint, any flaw to what he heard. Watching him, a small, sad smile spreads across her lips, her eyes shimmering.)

Kagome: I love you...that's why I came back...that's why I'm ... I'm ...

(She demonstrates the rest of her sentence as she carefully leans back down over his chest, crying. She pulls herself as close to him as she can, desperately caressing his head, nuzzling his neck and jaw line, sobbing once again in quiet, gasping breaths. Inuyasha can't react at first, he's too shocked, too overwhelmed at the moment to do anything. She loves him. She loves him. She loves...)

(Slowly, a strange look creeps it's way across Inuyasha's face: contentment, irony, regret, acceptance, fatigue...He struggles to bring his free hand to rest on Kagome's back as he stares up at the stars. Everything he ever wanted to accomplish, everything he never even hoped to accomplish, has been done. Since Kagome's appearance, he's killed Naraku, regained his kingdom, and even found a way to be human again...)

( ...and if the choice was his, he'd give it all up. He'd stay a demon forever, just to be with Kagome, and make her happy. Smiling, he traces her beautiful face in the fading stars as he draws his last breath...and he remembers he has to tell her...)

Inuyasha (weakly): ...Kagome...

(She raises her head to give him her full attention, nodding slightly, and swallowing hard. Her eyes are wide in dread of the approaching moment. We can't see Inuyasha's golden orbs, they're clenched shut in concentration, his voice fading...)

Inuyasha: ...Kagome...I...love...

(The sound dies in his throat, and he can only helplessly mouth the last word. "You." Kagome watches in denial as he seems to fall into a deep relaxed sleep, the tension in every muscle leaving as she feels his arm slip lifelessly on her back. His usually alert, perky ears, seem to hang from his scalp, drooping backwards, lifeless...)

Kagome: ...no...

(She slightly shakes his warm body, her voice rising steadily in panic.)

Kagome: ...no Inuyasha...Inuyasha! Wake up! Please! Inuyasha!!!

(Behind her, the others watch as she lays herself down again over the body that was once Inuyasha. Realising he's dead, Sango allows Miroku to pull her head onto his shoulder and wrap his arms around her. Miroku squeezes her tightly, but gently, praying he'll never experience a pain similar to that of Kagome's. Beside them, Shippo is letting out siren calls into Tanuki's shirt as Kirara nuzzles Tanuki's legs, furiously trying to dash the tears from her closed eyes. Myouga is on her back, sobbing in much the same fashion as Tanuki, repeating Inuyasha's name over and over again between gasping breaths.)

(Slowly, the group of demons starts to glow. The faint auras building to such a brilliance that soon nothing of their original features can be seen. Sango and Miroku stare in awe as the auras start to shift, changing both shape and size in a very quick instant. When the brilliance fades, we no longer see four demons, but four (clothed) humans, blinking in disbelief as they examine their hands and feel their faces. Miroku and Sango can't believe their eyes.)

Shippo (amazed): The...(sniff)...the curse... ... ...it's gone...

(Suddenly a human Tanuki, with dark brown hair and jolly face, looks down at his shoulder. He moves it...)

Tanuki (surprised): H-hey...my shoulder... it's...(sniff) ...healed!

Myouga (shocked): !Awa! Healed! Then....possibly....

(As his unasked question sinks in, all eyes cautiously shift their gaze to Kagome... and a human Inuyasha!)

(Oblivious to the change, Kagome cries. Sobbing quietly, she clutches the fabric of Inuyasha's coat in her hands and hangs her head over his shoulder. His black hair is splayed out like an inky pool below his neck and shoulders, and his fine features can be clearly seen in the approaching dawn. Almost to quick to be noticed, a sudden pulse runs through his body.)

(Kagome reacts slowly to the small amount of movement. Dreamily, she allows her eyes fall half open. She imagined that movement, it was not real. wishful thinking.)

Kagome (hopelessly): ...Inuyasha...

(She closed her eyes again until a second pulse causes them to jolt open wide. A slight intake of breath tickles her ear.She jerks her head up.)

Kagome (whispers): Inuyasha?!

(Suddenly she feels her body rise, ever so slightly, as the chest she's been lying on expands with air. At the same time, Inuyasha takes in a deep breath, coughs slightly, and stirs his head, curses a-muttering.)

Inuyasha: (cough)...what the...(cough cough)...fuck... ... (groan)

(Kagome's face is hungry, starved for something, some proof. Eager to get it, she renews her grip in his clothing and shakes him gently, her voice pleading, begging.)

Kagome:...Inuysaha? Inuyasha!! Please...

(Deep violet eyes shoot open, they way eyes do when waking from a nightmare you won't remember having. Inuyasha blinks for a moment, totally confused, before the royal depths become focused on the face before him. He blinks again...)

Inuyasha (confused): ...K...Kagome?

(The second his eyes lock on hers, a choked cry escapes her throat. She can't breathe, scream, cry, talk, or even smile wide enough to contain her joy. Instead, she nods, pulling herself off of him, allowing him space to sit up. She's giddy, enthralled with simply seeing him move. Inuyasha props himself up on the palms of his hands, realization dawning on him. She watches with feasting eyes as he examines a human hand, checks his mouth with his tongue, tries to wiggle his ears, sees the black strands of hair across his chest...)

Inuyasha (disbelieving): I...I'm...

(He doesn't get a chance to finish.)

Shippo: INUYASHA!!

Tanuki: MASTER!!

Myouga: MY LORD!!

Inuaysha: Gyaaa!!

(One second and he's flat on his back again, having been tackled by Shippo, Myouga, and Tanuki. They grab and death hug any piece of him they can get, Tanuki around his waist, Shippo at this shoulder, and Myouga on his shin.)

Myouga (yelling): Lord Inuyasha!

Tanuki (crying): Master! I'm so happy you're okay!!

Shippo (angry, but still clinging): You stupid jerk! We thought you were dead!! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!...

(Kagome is a bit shocked at the suddenness of the attacks. Being forced into the back row, she'll have to wait a bit for her chance with Inuyasha. However, that's okay. He's alive, well, and finally human. Finally he will be free.)

(A peaceful, very grateful smile graces Kagome's face as Miroku, Sango and Kirara come up and stand behind her. Kirara looks remarkably like Sango, however her hair is up in two side buns instead of a pony tail. Her battle gear is black armour with a trim of pale yellow fur.)

Inuyasha (annoyed): Oi! Get Offa me!

(Meanwhile, Inuyasha is tired of being groped, and starts to struggle in his friends' grasps. They remain stuck, clinging stubbornly as he tries to shake and peel them off.)

Tanuki (still sobbing): So happy! So happy!

Shippo (pounding): Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

(Miroku nods in approval.)

Miroku (smiling): Looks like a happy ending after all...

Myouga (off screen): Lord Inuyashaaaa!!

Inuyasha ( off screen): GET OFF!!

(The priset gives a contented sigh, before casually shifting his hand. (Come on, you know where to.) Sango's face instantly goes dark, as veins pop out all over her head. A resounding slap is heard throughout the castle, sending birds twittering into a perfect blue sky. They excitedly fly off, as dawn breaks on a brand new day...)

*~*~*~*~*

One late spring night, in a beautiful white castle situated in the middle of a lush green forest, a ball was held. The castle itself shone like a thousand stars, and inside the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Carefree couples graced the spacious dance floor, while others lounged and talked by one of the many refreshment tables and chairs. Everyone had been invited to this ball, nobles, villagers and farmers. The whole province had come out tonight, eager see what had once been the great legend of Inuyasha forest...

*~*~*~*~*

(Tanuki is darting around like mad, busily ordering servants around as the delicious food is eaten faster than it can be brought out. It doesn't help much that Shippo, Souta, Rin and Kanna are busy playing tag. They dash in and out, under the laden tables, always underfoot. Kirara attempts to stop them, trying to keep order around the bustling, music filled ballroom.)

(Order doesn't come easy when you have a perverted monk on your hands, however, Sango's there to keep him in check. She's wearing a pale pink Japanese kimono, with deeper crimson butterflies strewn across the fabric. She and Miroku are the only ones in the room not wearing western style clothes. Miroku has exchanged his purple robes for more formal black ones, and for once, the jangling staff has been left elsewhere. Tanuki comes up to them with a try of food as Kirara spots them and silently approaches.)

Miroku (smoothly): Ahh! Excellent party Tanuki! When do we break out the wine and sake?

(Tanuki smiles and shakes his head.)

Tanuki: Master Miroku, the last time you got drunk, we spent the whole night chasing you in and out of the ladies' rooms...

Miroku (sighs happily): Ohhh yes, I remember that night. Lina, Michelle, Angela...

(Tanuki nods while Sango frowns disapprovingly...)

Sango (coldly): Houshi-sama, even after Inuyasha made you the castle's spiritual advisor...

(Miroku smirks...)

Miroku (purring): I guess I'll just have to be disciplined then, Miss co-captain of the guard...

(He makes a move to grope her, but Sango stops him by quickly grabbing Tanuki's empty tray and bringing it down on Miroku's head. She gives him a cold glare.)

Sango (flatly): ...oops, it slipped...

(Tanuki sighs and gives his head a slight shake. Then, glancing around the room he notices something.)

Tanuki: Hey? Where's Master Inuyasha and Mistress Kagome?

(Miroku snaps out of it and cocks his head towards the entrance to the balcony.)

Miroku (jokingly): Mr. Smooth is out there getting tips from his advisor, and Kagome hasn't come down just...

(He's cut short as a light clapping breaks out all over the ball room along with several "oo's" and whistles. Every one turns to see Kagome, blushing profusely as she descends the steps in a pale blue ball gown, completely plain accept for a few glittering beads here and there to accentuate her natural sparkle.)

(Outside, Inuyasha notices the sudden stop in music, and the applause. He starts to curse and swear nervously, pacing back and forth. His formal black pants and white shirt of the same style as his fire-rat outfit, snap softly at his skittish movements. His loose black hair follows along in a similar fashion to his cloths. To the side, strewn over the balcony rail, is a black coat. Resting on which it a thin circle of engraved silver, just the perfect size to form a modest crown. Inuyasha seems to consider putting them on again, but changes his mind, only to start pacing and cursing under his breath. Below him, wearing a spiffy tux, and still not even reaching to above Inuyasha's knees, Myouga tries to calm him down.)

Myouga: It's all right my lord! Lady Kagome has already confessed her love to you, there's no need to be nervous...

Inuyasha (sharply): I know that old man!

(He resumes pacing)

Inuyasha: But...Dammit!! Why is this so hard!

Inuyasha (muttering): ...stupid, lousy, no good...

Myouga (looking up): Ah! Here she comes!

(He turns to go, pausing to give his last bit of advice.)

Myouga (looking up): Now remember m'lord, just be yourself, and don't let your pride get the best of you!
(Inuyasha makes his trademark gesture to Myouga's retreating back..)

Inuyasha (sticking nose in air): KEH!!

Kagome: Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha quickly opens one eye to see her timidly approaching him through the open balcony doors. The second she hits the moonlight, the silver beams begin reflecting off the shimmering cloth of her dress, igniting the crystal beads therein. It highlights her hair, and accentuates her fair skin. Her dress is strapless, revealing the full of her neck, and fine lines of her collarbone and chest. Two puffy bands of cloth rest gently just below her shoulders, accentuating thin, graceful arms, complete with small, timid hands, free of gloves or jewelry.)

(Inuyasha slams both of his eyes open and stands there entranced. Unable to move, he remains frozen in the position of having his arms crossed over his chest in a peevish fashion. Kagome sees him.)

Kagome: Inuyasha, what are you doing... out... here...

(She stops, reddening at his gaze. Inuyasha just continues to gawk, a blush creeping across his own features. However, it's not quite as visible as hers in the shadow of the night.)

(Taking note of the way he's standing, Kagome assumes he's in a mood, and lowers her head to stare at the floor.)

Kagome (disappointed): I'm sorry, did you want to be left alone?

(Not waiting for an answer, she turns sadly to leave. Inuyasha looks panicked for a brief moment, and recovers his ability to move.)

Inuyasha (reaching after her): Kagome...

(She stops and looks back at him. His arms drop to his sides and now it is his turn to look down at the ground. He takes a quick gulp of air, swallowing the bundle of nerves in his throat.)

Inuyasha (stuttering): I...I don't mind.

(A moment of silence, as a small smile lights up Kagome's face. She nods and comes up to stand beside him.)

(For a moment, neither of them move, a nervous pressure filling the air. Silently, Inuyasha's violet eyes dart between Kagome, and the far end of the marble balcony. He's fumbling with something small in his pocket.)

(At last, unable to think of anything better to do, Inuyasha snatches hold of Kagome's wrist. Grumbling something incoherent, he gently tugs her over to where the grandest view of the royal garden can be seen. It spreads out before them, sloping gently downward to meet the outer wall and the beginning of the forest. Just above the tree line, a full moon is hanging in the sky, only slightly dimming the light of the twinkling stars above. They reach the railing and Inuyasha gently lets go of Kagome's hand. Focusing on the scenery ahead, he tries to gather his courage.)

(Kagome too turns and takes in the romantic view, glancing occasionally at her scowling companion. Inuyasha's one hand is tense, gripping the smooth marble of the banister. Kagome smiles sympathetically. She has no clue as to why he's nervous, but she decides to try and help him relax a bit.)

(Inuyasha is suddenly startled out of his nerve wracking stupor as Kagome slips her hand around his arm and draws her body closer to him. She sighs contentedly, leaning her head against his shoulder. Inuyasha blushes and gulps, stiffening visibly. After a moment...)

Inuyasha (hesitantly): Ka...Kagome?

Kagome (dreamily): Hmm? What is it Inuyasha?

(Inuyasha's heart is pounding in his throat as he struggles to stay coherent...)

Inuyasha: Er, um... Do...What do you, think. ...about this place?

(Kagome opens her eyes and moves away from him, just enough to get him to turn and face her. She watches him, searching his face for a more definite meaning to the question. Finally...)

Kagome: You mean the castle?

(Inuyasha nods stiffly. Kagome puts a bare hand up to her lips, to show that she's thinking.)

Kagome (thoughtfully): ...well...what else can I say...accept... it's perfect...

(Inuyasha gawks at her, almost audibly.)

Inuyasha (disbelieving): P...perfect?

(Kagome nods, still staring at his chest, only darting glances at his eyes...)

Kagome (nod): Mn. I mean, everyone here's so nice, and there's always something I can do or help with...I...It's perfect.

(She shrugs, unable to think up a better explanation.)

Inuyasha: But...what about your family...your friends...don't you miss your old life?

(Kagome quickly shakes her head.)

Kagome: No. I mean, if I stop and think about it I do...but I'm usually so busy...besides, I can always go and visit them. It's not far. I love it here, Inuyasha. You, Tanuki, Shippo, Kirara... you make it feel like home.

(She looks up directly into his eyes.)

Kagome (honestly): I... I want to stay here, forever....

(Inuyasha's eyes go wide in disbelief and joy. Suddenly, he jams his hand into his pocket and grabs that little object, taking it slowly out, as if it might break at any moment. His other hand raises up to gently tug Kagome's drooped chin, until she's looking clearly into his eyes. He swallows, and his nerves catching onto Kagome, who also starts to look tense. He clears his throat.)

Inuyasha (quickly): ...Kagome...I want you to stay here too, forever. I-I want you to always be happy...

(He pauses for a breath and brings his hand down to tug at hers...)

Inuyasha (triumphantly): Kagome, would you... ... ... ... ... ... . . . !

(He stops, a strange realization suddenly dawning on Inuyasha. He slowly breaks his gaze with Kagome, and turns his head to stare at the door. Kagome's own gaze follows close behind.)

(Miroku turns away from spying just in the nick of time, and ducks to the side of the balcony door. Certain he can't be seen, he sighs in relief at not being caught...only to open his eyes and get the shock of his life...)

(Behind him, the ball has stopped. Instead, everyone has arranged themselves around the room in order to get the best possible view of the little scene taking place. Ginta, Hagguku, Shippo, Grandpa, Tanuki, Kirara, Souta, Myouga, Jinenji, Yamanba, Kaede, Mama, Rin, Kanna, Hiten, Manten, the imp people, three monkeys, and many, many more have all locked their complete and total attention upon the very, very, (can't get enough "very"s) VERY...red couple standing on the balcony...)

(Nobody moves as Kagome and Inuyasha stare at their audience, who in return, stare right back that them, waiting far a continuance.)

(Finally, Inuyasha makes a move. Shaking and sputtering with frustration and embarrassment, he stomps over to the curtained glass doors leading out to the balcony. Taking hold of them, he brutely slams them shut with about as much force as they can stand.)

*KABAM!!*

(The people in the ballroom simply stare and shrug, oblivious as to what they've done to make him mad...)

*~*~*~*~*

(Back outside again, Inuyasha is livid. He was almost there! He almost asked her! And now they had to go and ruin his perfect chance. Well not this time!!)

(Resolutely, Inuyasha stomps over to where Kagome has drifted, just a little ways from the edge of the balcony. He stops in front of her. Quick and determined, he grabs the ring firmly in one hand, and gently takes Kagome's hand in the other. He raises her hand up level with his chest, and locks her in a fiery gaze. Then, without a word, he slips the elegant silver ring onto her finger. That done, he gives a quick nod, as if to say "so there," and marches back over to the far end of the balcony, assuming the classic indifferent "nose in air, eyes closed, arms crossed over chest" pose.)

(AN: Pic of this...not yet up. sorry.)

(Kagome is just dumbfounded. She looks from the sparkling, single diamond ring on her finger, over to Inuyasha, then back at the ring. Then finally, she just stares at Inuyasha, totally overwhelmed with awe and disbelief. By this time, Inuyasha's nerves have started to kick in. He swivels his head around, glancing back at her hesitantly, arms still crossed over his chest. He waits for a reaction, any reaction.)

(Slowly, Kagome makes her way to stand just before him, her face neutral as Inuyasha's nerves go into hyper drive. He drops his hands to his sides, playing with his fingers, steapling the two indexes together while the rest of his knuckles go all white. He looks at the ground, shuffling his feet until Kagome gets his attention by reaching her naked hand up and cupping his cheek. He looks at her nervously, desperately searching her eyes.)

Kagome (hesitant): Inuyasha...is this...does this mean...what I think it means?

(She holds up her ringed hand a little in suggestion, and Inuyasha has to gulp, hard, before moving his head in a slight nod.)

(He's so up-tight he almost misses the look of pure joy that flies across her face. Instantly, Kagome flings her arms around his neck, hanging from his tall form in a nearly choking embrace. Inuyasha blinks, several times, thinking this must be too good to be true. He brings his hands down to her sides, pushing her away a bit, just to make sure. She allows him the space to look into her eyes, but won't remove her arms from his neck.)

Inuyasha (quickly): Th...then you'll?

(Vigorous nodding, and another hug as a small giggle of joy escapes her lips. This time, Inuyasha returns the embrace, wrapping his arms around her back, pulling her close, breathing in her scent and nuzzling her neck with his cheek. They stay like this for a moment longer, before both of them pull away, wanting more, but still shy. Kagome timidly rests her hands on his shoulders, while he still has his wrapped around her back and waist. Slowly, gently, he draws her in, pulling her fully against him, leaning down as she lightly tugs him, a hand entangled in the black hair behind his neck. Finally, after many months, many tears, and many shared adventures, they close their eyes...)

(From the other side of the glass doors, two figures can be seen through the white curtains, kissing passionately in the silhouette of the moon...)

(The resulting cheer can be heard from miles away... ...but neither Kagome nor Inuyasha take notice...)

(And they all lived happily ever after.)

THE END!

*~*~*~*~*

Chris-san, April 21/2002

A/N: Hi! So how'd you like my story? The style wasn't too hard to get used to ne? I tried to make it readable. In the next chapter, I promise to answer some of the reviews that asked questions or demand justification. Also, if you've read the whole story, what I'd really like to know is what your favourite part was and why. It's just a writer's thing, so that I know what types of things I should include in my other stories to make them successful. You can either write it in a review or e mail me at Chris.san@sympatico.ca.

Thanks to all who read this story and reviewed. I swear to you it was as much fun to write as it was to read, and I really enjoyed this. Look for some of my other stuff, I'm not nearly done with IY fanfiction. Until next time...

Yours truly

Chris-san.