InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Revelations
 
********
 
Lunch could not come fast enough as far as Kagome was concerned. When the bell finally rang, she made her way past her locker to drop off her books and then headed to the lunchroom. Deciding she wasn't that hungry, Kagome grabbed a small salad and a bottle of water and went out to find her friends.
 
Miroku and Sango were sitting under the large willow where they normally ate lunch when the weather was good. Miroku sported a nice red handprint on the side of his face, while Sango's face was a matching red.
 
Kagome laughed as she joined her friends. “Starting already, Miroku?”
 
“Yeah, well, umm, I just can't resist a thing of beauty.”
 
“You better start resisting, mister, or I won't be able to resist sending you to the hospital.”
 
“I hear that you are having some strange dreams, Kagome.” The 18 year-old decided he'd better change the subject. Kagome and Sango had known him for the past 4 years after he moved in down the street from Sango. Miroku had a crush on Sango, and Kagome believed that Sango had a crush on Miroku.
 
Kagome looked at Sango who shrugged her shoulders. Kagome had never told Miroku about the dreams, but she had told him about Inuyasha. For some reason, she felt that the dreams were too personal to share with another guy, even if he was her friend.
 
“Um, yeah. Did Sango tell you about them?” Miroku nodded.
 
“Dreams are the subconscious's way of reviewing and dealing with day-to-day events and stresses. The fact the dreams are always about the same person could be because you see him as a `safe' outlet. When you dream of Inuyasha, do you see yourselves as young children or as the age you currently are?”
 
“In my dreams, we are always the same age we would normally be. Last night, I was still 17 and he was 19. I remember a period of time where he had really short hair (A/N: can you see Inuyasha with a buzz cut?), but now he has let it grow long.”
 
“Hmmm. That sounds more like a soul connection then.”
 
Both girls looked at Miroku. “A soul connection? What is that?” asked Sango.
 
“A soul connection occurs very rarely and only between soul mates. I have never heard of one occurring between such young children as you and Inuyasha were when the dreams started. It usually takes a minor spell set by a priestess to establish the initial connection, but afterwards, it is maintained through the soul bond.”
 
“What does that mean exactly?” Kagome was getting frustrated. “Are my dreams real, does this mean that Inuyasha and I have really been talking to each other all this time?” `Does this mean that last night…?'
 
“Oh, it is very real. You and Inuyasha have been `meeting together', for lack of a better term, when you dream. He dreams the same dreams you do. Anything you told him there, he knows, and the things that he tells you are most definitely real.”
 
Kagome blushed and looked away. `Then what did that kiss mean, or did it mean anything at all?' She was deep in thought and Sango looked at her in sympathy. Miroku was content to finish his lunch and Kagome's, which sat forgotten.
 
“Hello, Kagome. How are you today?” Kagome jumped when the voice addressed her.
 
“Hojo, how nice to see you. I am doing well. What can I do for you?”
 
The young man seemed nervous and blushed slightly. “I was wondering if you would like to go to the Senior Prom with me next week.”
 
“I'm sorry Hojo, but I already have a boyfriend, and I don't think that he'd appreciate me going out with any other guy.'
 
“A boyfriend? Is it anyone I know? I have never seen you with anyone…”
 
“No Hojo, my boyfriend lives a long ways away. I usually see him every few weeks or so. Thank-you though for the invitation. I don't think that you'd have much trouble finding your perfect girl.”
 
“Thank-you Kagome. I apologize for being a nuisance. If you ever break up, please keep me in mind.” With that, the young man turned away and went into the school building. Kagome breathed a sigh of relief.
 
Miroku and Sango were trying hard not to laugh. “Poor Hojo, you broke his heart. He is just crushed!” Kagome glared at her friends.
 
“It is not like I haven't been telling him no all along. He just could not seem to understand that I am not interested in him.”
 
“I understand, Kagome, but us guys are somewhat dense when it comes to the fairer sex.”
 
“Hentai!” Sango slapped him as he groped her during his little speech.
 
Kagome laughed. She felt a lot better now; it wasn't easy to let Hojo down and she was glad it was over.
 
“By boyfriend, I assume you mean Inuyasha?” asked Miroku after everyone calmed down.
 
“Yeah. It was his idea last night. He had been getting frustrated with the way that Hojo kept hanging around.”
 
“So, are you and Inuyasha going to be boyfriend/girlfriend then, Kagome?” asked Sango.
 
“I don't know. I need to do some serious thinking and talk to Inuyasha.”
 
“Makes sense. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.” Sango reached over and hugged Kagome. “Don't even think of it Miroku!” she snarled.
 
“I wouldn't do something like that my dear Sango.” The two girls just snorted in disbelief. “Keep me posted, Kagome. I'll also ask my uncle if he knows anymore about soul connections.”
 
“Thanks guys. Well I got to run. I have Chemistry next and I am not even ready for the lab.”
 
Kagome got up and headed inside. Sango looked at Miroku who watched their friend enter the building.
 
“What's wrong?”
 
“A soul connection is not an easy thing to have; there are often consequences that may arise.”
 
“What kind of consequences?” Sango was getting worried for her friend.
 
“I don't want to say anything more until I can verify with my uncle. I may be wrong.” `I hope I am wrong' Miroku got up and gave Sango a hand up. Throwing away their lunch trash, the two headed off to class.
 
*******
 
TBC