InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5: Reunited
 
********
 
Inuyasha pulled up to the shrine early in the afternoon. He sat in his car, just staring at the place where he would soon see Kagome again. Building his courage, Inuyasha got out of his car and went up to the door. He knocked and then waited nervously for someone to answer it.
 
“Hello, what can I do for you?” Kagome's mother stood in the doorway, drying her hands on a towel. She looked very much as Inuyasha remembered. He was unable to say anything to her due to the nerves, but he gave her a small smile.
 
She looked at the young man in front of her and began to smile as she recognized him. “Inuyasha, is that you? My, you have grown! Please come in. I know that Kagome will be excited to see you again. She should be home shortly.”
 
Inuyasha found himself engulfed in a hug and then being led into the kitchen. Seating himself at the table, Kagome's mother brought out a couple of sodas. She handed one to him, keeping the other for herself.
 
“Are you hungry? Can I fix you something to eat?”
 
“No thank-you. The soda's just fine.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi sat herself across from Inuyasha and studied him closely. “How have you been? We haven't heard much from you these past years.”
 
“I am doing well. Mom died a little less than a year after you guys moved. My mother's aunt, Kaede took my brother and me in. I graduated last year, and I am taking a year or so off before college.”
 
Mrs. Higurashi nodded. “I had heard about the accident. I was sorry to hear that. Kagome will graduate in a few weeks and plans on going to college in the fall.” She jumped up and clapped her hands in delight. “Maybe you two will go to the same college!”
 
Inuyasha only smiled and nodded his head. He found that he couldn't sit still in the chair and kept fidgeting. Deciding that maybe walking around would help calm the butterflies that seemed to have taken residence in his stomach; Inuyasha asked if he could explore the shrine. The friendly woman assured him that he could go where ever he pleased.
 
“Kagome will be home shortly, and I will send her out to you if you haven't already met up.” Inuyasha thanked her and went outside.
 
He wandered the shrine grounds and popped into the gift shop. Inuyasha was almost immediately cornered by an old man, probably Kagome's grandfather, who was trying to tell him the history of an old, rusted sword hanging on the wall. Making his escape, Inuyasha found himself drawn to the 1000 year-old God Tree.
 
He found a bench beneath its branches and sat with a sigh. Inuyasha could almost swear that there was a calming aura coming from the tree. Settling himself more comfortably, he turned his thoughts towards his rapidly approaching meeting with Kagome.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Finally! School was out for the weekend. Kagome quickly grabbed her stuff from her locker and hurried out of the building. She really did not want to run into Sango or Miroku, as she was still trying to sort through what she had learned from them. Kagome decided to walk home and use the time to think things through.
 
`What does this soul connection thing between Inuyasha and I mean? Is he aware of it?' She sighed. Kagome really wanted a chance to talk with him, but she had never been able to initiate the dreams.
 
`What would I say to him when I do see him next? I guess that I need to ask the following things: A) Did Inuyasha know about the soul connection? If so, why didn't he tell me? B) What does it exactly mean for us? And last, but not least, C) What did that kiss mean?'
 
Kagome shook her head and laughed softly at herself. `I guess that covers everything on my list. I feel a little better prepared for the next time I see him. I can hardly wait.'
 
Deep in thought, Kagome didn't realize that she was almost home until she started up the stairs to the shrine. She paused when she made it to the top to catch her breath, and took a quick look around to see if there were any tourists visiting the shrine that afternoon. She saw a young couple leaving the gift shop with their purchases, and one or two more wandering around the various buildings.
 
Heading towards the house, Kagome caught a glimpse of silver near the God Tree. She stopped as she took a closer look. It was an oddly familiar young man with silver hair. Kagome found that she couldn't seem to take a proper breath.
 
“Inuyasha?” The young man lifted his head and quickly stood.
 
“Kagome.” The two stood staring at each other, totally oblivious to the rest of the world around them. They may have stayed that way for days, but the spell was broken when a soccer ball came flying across the courtyard. Inuyasha caught the ball easily and handed it back to the boy who stood looking at him in awe.
 
“Hey, nice catch! My name is Sota.”
 
Inuyasha smiled and said “My name is Inuyasha. Nice to meet you.”
 
“Sota, go tell mom that I am home and that I am talking to Inuyasha, if she needs me.”
 
“Okay sis. Nice to meet you Inuyasha. I hope to see you again sometime.” With a smile and a wave, Sota ran into the house, leaving the two of them to talk.
 
“You remember my brother, Sota, don't you?” Kagome asked as she walked over to Inuyasha.
 
“Yeah, he sure has grown though. He was only a baby the last time I saw him.” Inuyasha looked at the girl standing in front of him. Her large, expressive eyes held tears in the corners. One tear slowly made its way down her cheek. He put his hand gently to her face and wiped the tear with his thumb. He tried to clear his now dry throat, “Kagome, I…” Inuyasha was interrupted when she threw herself in to his arms.
 
“Oh Inuyasha, I am so glad you are here! It has been so long. I have missed you!” Kagome started to cry into his shoulder. Inuyasha held her tightly and allowed her to cry. When he felt her calming down, Inuyasha led her to the bench. Holding her hand in his, he sat beside her and said, “Kagome, we need to talk.”
 
*********
 
TBC