InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There For You ❯ At the Hospital ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 10: At the Hospital
 
***********
 
Swimming up through the darkness, Kagome opened her eyes. At first, the only thing she was aware of was the pain in her right leg. Slowly, her awareness expanded and she felt someone holding her hand. Kagome turned her head and saw her mother sitting beside her.
 
“Mom, what happened? Where am I? Where's Inuyasha?” Kagome moved to get out of bed, but was restrained by her mother's hand on her shoulder.
 
“It's okay now, Kagome. You are in the hospital. You and Inuyasha were in a car accident last night. You broke your leg and received a mild concussion, but you'll be able to go home today.”
 
Kagome lay back down as she tried to process what her mother had told her. “That's right. There was a car swerving into our lane. Inuyasha tried to avoid it, but something was wrong. He told me to hang on. I remember screaming and hearing metal crunching, then nothing.” Mrs. Higurashi nodded.
 
“The driver of the other car stopped and called the police. He was charged for drunk driving and vehicular assault.”
 
Kagome looked at her mother. “Where's Inuyasha? Is he okay?” Mrs. Higurashi's face fell. Kagome felt her eyes fill with tears. “No, he can't be…he promised to always be there!” She shook her head in denial. Her mother quickly realized what her daughter meant and rushed to clarify. “He is still alive, Kagome. He is upstairs in the ICU. He broke several ribs and received a skull fracture. The doctors are monitoring him closely in case his brain started to swell. They say that it is too early to tell if he'll be okay. We just need to think positively and pray.”
 
Kagome broke down and sobbed into her mother's arms. Mrs. Higurashi just held her, stroking her hair, allowing her daughter to release her hurt and sorrow. After a while, Kagome's mom smiled at her as she cupped her face with her hands and wiped away the last few tears. “I noticed that you have a new ring. I take it that I will soon have a son-in-law?”
 
Kagome gave her a weak smile and nodded. She told her mom about the previous evening; about how happy they had been. By the end of the tale, Kagome was smiling, but sadness still lurked in her eyes.
 
“Well good morning Miss Higurashi. How are you feeling today?” An elderly doctor entered the room with a friendly grin. “My name is Dr. Chen. I am glad to see you awake.”
 
“Good morning Dr. Chen. I am doing okay considering the circumstances. My leg hurts and I have a slight headache. When can I go see my fiancée?”
 
“Well, let's check you over and I will try to get you released by lunch time. You'll be able to see him then. Don't worry; we'll keep you informed of any changes in his condition. We did get a hold of his aunt and she should be here today.” Dr. Chen was checking Kagome over while he told her this. “Well, everything checks out okay. You will need to use crutches for a few months, of course. Now if you have any dizziness, fainting or if your headaches get worse, you are to come back to the hospital immediately, understand?” Both of the women nodded. “Okay then, I'll go fill out the paper work and get you a prescription for pain. You can go ahead and get dressed. Take it slowly though, okay?” Kagome nodded and thanked the doctor who took his leave.
 
“Here you go dear. I brought you a change of clothes. Do you think you need any help?”
 
Kagome went to shake her head, but decided that she'd better not. “That would probably be best, thanks.” Between the two, Kagome was soon dressed in a tee shirt and old pair of jeans with the leg split out to fit over the cast.
 
“Alright young lady, everything is set. Your mother can pick up the crutches before you leave.” Dr. Chen returned pushing a wheel chair. He handed Mrs. Higurashi the paperwork. “Now have a seat here in the chair and I'll take you up to see your young man.” Easing herself into the wheelchair, Kagome and Dr. Chen went down to catch the elevator, her mother following behind.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome was wheeled into Inuyasha's room. Tears came to her eyes as she saw him lying there. He was hooked up to a respirator, a heart monitor, and several IVs. She was pushed close to the bed where she was able to reach out and touch his face and hold his hand. She didn't notice when the others left the room, giving her some privacy.
 
Running her fingers down the side of his face, Kagome swallowed before speaking. “I'm here, Inuyasha. I'm okay. You need to focus on getting well. We have a wedding to plan you know.” Tears fell silently as she continued to talk to him; searching for any sign of response from him.
 
The charge nurse came in and checked the readings on the machines, making some adjustments. Turning to leave, she put a gentle hand on Kagome's shoulder. “Don't give up hope. He's strong and won't give up easily. You need to make sure to take care of yourself, because he needs you to be strong for him, especially once he wakes up.” Kagome gave the nurse a grateful smile and nodded her head.
 
A little time later, Kagome wheeled herself out of the room, promising Inuyasha that she'd be back soon. Her mother looked up. “Are you ready?” With a nod, Mrs. Higurashi pushed her daughter out to the car.
 
Once they got home, Kagome was made comfortable in the downstairs spare room; the one that Inuyasha had been using. Her mother wanted her nearby, but wanted to give her a bit more privacy than the couch would offer. Taking a deep breath of his lingering scent, Kagome fell fast asleep.
 
~~Dream~~
 
Kagome was standing on the grassy hill; the same hill as it always was, but it was different. There was a thick fog surrounding everything. She couldn't see Inuyasha anywhere.
 
“Inuyasha, are you here?” Kagome didn't hear any response. She started to walk, trying to find him. The fog swirled around her, now and then allowing her glimpses of something, but she never seemed to get near.
 
“Inuyasha! Where are you?”
 
“K…Kagome?” Kagome's head turned when she heard a faint voice, unable to see through the fog.
 
~~End Dream~~
 
Kagome awoke later that afternoon, feeling a bit better, but still with the nagging headache. Out in the living room, she could hear voices. Grabbing the crutches, she went out to investigate. She made her way slowly down the hall to the living room. Miroku and Sango stood as they caught sight of their friend. Sango ran over and helped her to the couch.
 
“I'm so glad to see that you're okay, Kagome. When I called earlier and your grandfather told me about the accident, I freaked. I called Miroku and we went to the hospital. Evidently, we had just missed you, but we checked on Inuyasha.” Sango had tears in her eyes as she hugged Kagome. Miroku gave her a comforting smile.
 
“We met with Inuyasha's aunt and his brother. Kaede seems very nice, but his brother is one cold fish.” Miroku proceeded to do imitations of Sesshomaru that soon had both girls laughing.
 
“Would you like a ride back to the hospital to see Inuyasha this evening? Miroku and I were going to go back to check on him. We could take you if you'd like.”
 
“That would be good. I would like to tell you guys about the dream I just had on the way over. I'll be back later, mom!” she called out as her friends helped her out to Miroku's car.
 
“Okay, but be careful!” Miroku gave Mrs. Higurashi an acknowledging wave as he got in and drove off.
 
Kagome told her friends about the dream she had that afternoon. “It felt like our normal `connection' dreams, but I couldn't find Inuyasha through the fog.”
 
“That is only to be expected, Kagome. Between the trauma you two have gone through and the drugs that are going through Inuyasha's system, I am surprised that you even managed to connect at all, much less it being foggy. The fact that you heard his voice, though, is a very good sign, I would think.”
 
“That does make sense, I guess. Thanks guys.” Miroku pulled up and dropped the girls off in front of the doors. The two young women made their way up to Inuyasha's room while he parked the car. He managed to catch them as they waited for the elevator.
 
As the group neared the ICU waiting room, Sango pointed out Kaede and Sesshomaru. Kaede arose and walked over to them, looking Kagome over with a critical eye. Kagome was tempted to cringe under her fierce stare, but met her gaze confidently. Kaede smiled in approval. “You must be Kagome. I am Kaede, and that is Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's half-brother.” She pointed to the young man who looked very similar to Inuyasha; it was easy to see the family resemblance. The silver-haired man gave Kagome a calculated look and nodded silently in greeting. Kagome found herself stifling a laugh as she was reminded of Miroku's imitations.
 
Sitting down, Kagome and Kaede began to get to know one another. As Kagome was telling her about last night, she felt a sharp pain in her chest. For a long moment, it was the only thing she was aware of. When the pain eased, she saw concern in the eyes of her friends as they gazed her. Their attention was drawn by a flurry of activity around Inuyasha's room; doctors and nurses rushing in and out, issuing orders. The group in the waiting room watched silently, hoping that everything was okay. Suddenly, Inuyasha was rushed down the hall and through doors marked SURGERY. A doctor came up to them, a concerned look in her eyes.
 
“Are you here for Inuyasha?” At their nods, she continued. “His blood pressure dropped suddenly, causing his heart to stop. We were able to get it started again and rushed him to surgery to find the cause. Please wait here and I will come and let you know how things turn out.” Sesshomaru thanked the doctor who then left the waiting room and headed to surgery.
 
“What happened, child? Are you okay?” asked Kaede. Kagome looked at her, tears rolling down her cheeks.
 
“Just now, I felt a sharp pain in my chest, like it wanted to beat, but couldn't. It happened about the same time as all that went on with Inuyasha. It has faded now. Could it have been part of our connection?”
 
Kaede and Miroku both nodded. “Inuyasha told you about the consequences of the permanent soul connection?” At Kagome's nod, the old priestess continued, “Remember that one of them is the fact that those so connected will not outlive each other. If Inuyasha were to die of his injuries, you will die as well.” Kagome started to cry; Kaede wrapped her arms around the girl and tried to offer comfort. Sango turned and started to weep into Miroku's chest as he held her close, holding back his own tears. Sesshomaru watched them all in stony silence.
 
**************
 
TBC
 
A/N: This is the longest chapter yet. Hope you like it as well. I left you with another cliffy; I'm so mean!!! HaHaHaHa
 
Thanks to those that have reviewed my story. Please continue to read and review. Thanks!